Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The write-ups have been fantastic. Thank you so much.

I haven't been watching along because I did a rewatch about 18 months ago, but I will fire up certain scenes on HBONow or Youtube when interesting bits in the write-ups compel me.

The Sopranos really is the show that keeps on giving.

I rewatched the scene when Christopher and his car unknowingly save Tony from the two hitmen. Unsure if it was deliberate, but I had a good laugh when one hitman reminds the other that, "remember, they don't want nothing above the neck." Of course that's the only place they actually hit Tony, the one bullet that grazed his ear. Seems like the typical Sopranos black humor.

I also wanted to mention who Livia is named after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livia

quote:

Nancy Marchand portrayed Tony Soprano’s mother, named Livia, in the first and second seasons (1999-2000) of the HBO series The Sopranos. Like her namesake, Livia Soprano influences the family’s affairs through schemes and intrigues, which culminate in her plot to have Tony killed. Marchand died shortly after the conclusion of the second season, and her character’s death was written into the third season’s plotline. Marchand won a Golden Globe Award (2000) and a Screen Actor’s Guild award (2001) for her work on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, that Bevalcqua kid (the actor who played him) wound up as much of a gently caress up as his character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillo_Brancato_Jr.#Arrests,_conviction,_and_incarceration

I was surprised to read he was released from jail 6 years ago and for some reason thought he had died. Am I thinking of a different Sopranos actor?

edit:

No that was him. Seems like he killed a guy but got off.

Holy poo poo, this guy has been in 5 movies since he got out

Sorry for the double post.

Some local morons actually celebrated his release by igniting a huge explosion near the scene of the murder.

https://nypost.com/2013/12/30/panic-after-huge-fireworks-explosion-in-bronx/

https://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2014/2/02_boom_2014_01_09_bx.html

I was about two miles away when this thing went off. I didn't learn what it was til later, but at the time, it sounded like it was right outside my window.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
One thing out of a million that makes the Sopranos so great is the little moments that inform you so much about the characters.

When I think of Ralph, one of his best scenes is when he's clipping his toenails in front of Janice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeQyRqDDZRE

His reaction, the sick pleasure, the hideous grin. The full-of-poo poo and ever-conniving Janice, here with a book, looks dignified next to Ralph. He is just a sadistic and disgusting monster.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Just saw this on my facc'book.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Ralph killed Pie-O-My and was lying about it.

Look at his responses after killing Tracee: "She slipped...she fell...she's a klutz...that's my story." Ralph put on the same kind of performance when confronted by Tony.

All these monsters are experts at lying, denial, cognitive dissonance.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watched UHF for the first time since I was 5, and to my surprise David Proval stars in it as the main villain's enforcer/henchman type. Watching Richie Aprile rough up Weird Al and Kramer is a treat.

Funny enough, I had a similar experience a few years ago rewatching Monster Squad. David is the pilot of the plane that Dracula escapes from.

He was a great guest on Talking Sopranos. He reveals that he used his years of silent frustration and anger of being overlooked and underused as an actor to fuel Richie's rage. Michael really liked that and he brings up that point in future episodes.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

JethroMcB posted:

So Edie Falco revealed this week that she and James Gandolfini reprised their roles as Tony and Carmela in 2010...as part of a 10-minute video put together by the New York Knicks to try and lure LeBron James during his first round of free agency. Falco had no idea who LeBron was, but figured that if Gandolfini was willing to do it, it must have really been important to him. (It sounds like they had both received a lot of commercial offers after the series ended to play "Tony" and "Carmela" again, if not explicitly by name then at least by reputation, that had simply gone ignored.)

Reminds me of Vincent Curatola appearing as Johnny Sac in Hillary Clinton's campaign video from 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1f27Ia_fc

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Joseph Gannascoli is the only person that I know of besides Lillo Brancato that was specifically not invited to the con in 2019, and with the latter it’s because he and his friend killed an off-duty cop during a robbery.

Lillo was also a piece of poo poo upon release.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/01/bronx-explosion-was-a-brancato-release-party.html

The explosion was incredibly loud, everybody was talking about it the next couple of days. I was at a friend's house two miles away when this happened and the whole house shook. The murder scene was a couple blocks away, anybody near definitely jumped out of their chair.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Is this Holstens? The setting of the final scene.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I think we're gonna get baby Tony and Janice (and maybe Barb!) as the story focuses on older characters like Jr, Paulie, Dickie and Tony's dad. Looks like they're going to in hard on Dickie's addiction issues so I'm kind of expecting a look at how all this horrible poo poo gets handed down through generations and bad parenting and poo poo.

I'm looking forward to it but kind of torn if I want more in the style of the show, something totally different or something in between. They're kind of in a SImpson's Movie situation with this one, if that makes sense, and don't have the luxury of 13 hours of episodes to build everything so the storytelling is going to have to be different. I liked El Camino a lot but I think that was made easier by focusing on one character and having such a small cast.

I honestly don't know what to expect and I've never seen any of Chase's movies; three of which were made before 1973.

E:

Also, I guess that is Holsten's but it looks smaller in that screen cap. Or more narrow. I didn't catch it.

Can anyone read or make out what the neon sign spells on the right?

It just says "Luncheon" and you can see the "cheo" part in a reflection on the far left. The left window has a neon sign too but I can't read it. Also on the left there are those yellow or gold boxes with some sort of logo that looks like it starts with a V.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Annabel Pee posted:

Father Phil will always be Chapelle from 24.

Yeah this is how I always see him. He was great on that show too. Great performance and a memorable arc.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Regarding the lack of law enforcement keeping up with that pygmy thing in Jersey.

Firstly, artistic license, there's no way those details in those murders. I agree with the effort post. The in-universe explanation of the law's shift in priorities from mafia to terrorism fits perfectly too, and is wholly believable.

But I think in the show, the law was experiencing its own type of slow collapse, same as the mafia, and same as pretty much every American institution then and since. Every thing is framed as so fully poked with holes, it's a wonder anything ever stays afloat. I think the show pairs so well with The Wire because the latter highlights the slow collapse over and over--"Do more with less" and "Juking the stats" and "The whole world shines poo poo and calls it gold" Multiple times in the Wire, the Baltimore major crimes consult with federal agents but are denied resources after some internal review.

The series' best detective says "You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the gently caress it's gonna take you."
But the decision makers repeatedly demand the police follow drugs and not money, regardless of how many giant flashing red arrow signs are pointing at money.

Anyway, I watched Many Saints this morning and I liked it more than I thought I would. Seems a lot of people are having a Made in America cut to black response, they wanted something more and something different and are kicking and screaming because the movie isn't a perfect ideal. I'm satisfied and am excited to watch it again in a few days.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I realize now that Many Saints looks and feels like the last season or two of Boardwalk Empire, moreso than any Sopranos season.

That gunfight outside the restaurant, when that guy's head explodes, that's straight up BE style violence.

That's a huge glaring plot hole to me. Harold's crew lights up the mobsters, killing two. But in this world where firing at a made guy is an automatic death, Harold still walks free.
They were gearing up to get Harold, but then Dickie dies, and the hunt stops. Who do they think killed Dickie?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Carmela complaining that the landscaper is always grumpy and never smiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
with great sadness I must share this

https://twitter.com/dreadematteo/status/1656051882924838913?s=20