Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

He was gay, Gary Cooper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

Meadow becoming at least a semi-decent person is one of the few positive outcomes of the show. She really had the deck stacked against her and came out with at least a semblance of a conscience.

She's marrying a mobster's son and it's heavily telegraphed that she'll become a mob lawyer. She's sucked in just like everyone else.

crispix posted:

He already looked like a guy who enjoyed his food. I wonder if any alcohol was consumed during his drunk scenes. I don't think I have seen an actor act drunk better than Gandolfini. The whole spectrum from slightly mellowed out with a beer in front of the TV drunk to completely off his tits, crashing around the house, dancing the Camel Walk at his bewildered wife before passing out on the floor drunk and everything in between. He was amazing :beerpal:

There's an interview where they talk about him and Imperioli getting so drunk they had to hook them to nearby trees for stability, otherwise the director was afraid they were going to fall down a mountain

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

crispix posted:

I interpreted Tony's "oh you poor bastard" as him having decided that Richie had crossed the line and had to go - that he felt sorry for what he was going to inflict on Richie.

I've always interpreted this as knowing Janice was going to eat him alive.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

They showed up unannounced at his house and then Tony went into the bathroom and found the tape and wire. Pussy wouldn’t just be wearing it around for no reason

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

That's right. And wasn't the ruse that he wanted Pussy's help to look over the boat he wanted to buy?

Which, if so, gets me back to wondering how they cleaned up everything. Probably over thinking it though and they had likely just arranged a boat NQA ahead of time somehow.

I think it’s more they had just done a “Tony beats a murder rap” story and didn’t want to go right back to it

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

That last panel is loving incredible.

Second episode is taking some time to write up because there is so much going on with Tony's feelings regarding Livia's death to write about, in addition to all the stuff Janice brings to the party. In the meantime, any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrQcAzMb8E

They'd have to get every living person in the same room to prove that, and then, what about the people who are already dead?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Christopher at the wake is one of the funniest scenes ever filmed by any show

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Christopher." Hands down.

Yeah this is the right answer. I just rewatched it and it doesn’t hold up well. And even then, it has Chrissy asking “He was gay, Gary Cooper”.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The state guarantees matching funds into whatever the Esplanade costs to build, as well as guarantees regarding costs overruns. This works in the show because the Councilmen will help funnel the contracts to unions/contractors under the thumb of the mob, who can just run wild. The no show/no work jobs come from here (with exorbitant wages), giving everyone health insurance and a W-2 for tax purposes. On top of that, they can just wildly overcharge for materials and time and pocket the difference, while over ordering items (which the matching funds pay for), steal them, and then sell them on the side.

It's the biggest scheme in the show that mirrored real life mafia activity

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Kemper Boyd posted:

I rewatched that ep yesterday and he's also doing it because he feels like he's outside Tony's circle for not earning enough, and the old lady had a bunch of cash stuffed under her mattress.

What'd you do, rob a bank?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Napoleon...he was a moody gently caress

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person who enjoyed the Tony B plot.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Contrarily, you'll find the Christopher is the best character.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and also the implication is gunshots were not an uncommon occurrence in Boonton.

This was my take away

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Late reply here but this loving cracked me up. Also holy poo poo Christopher thinking he was going to have a threesome with Adriana and Danielle :xd:

Who knows what a broad like will do! She’ll probably gently caress a snake!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Revenge is like cold cuts

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Contrarily

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It never worked for me since Russ should be Carm’s dad’s age, but Pauline should be at least a decade older than she and Tony

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

AJ is perfect, as long as he’s not your child

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah Artie inserts himself in everything dumb that happens to him outside the arson. Tony doesn’t really try and involve him in anything because he realizes he’s an idiot

Yeah pretty much everything that happens to Artie is him trying to be more than he is. He has a good wife, family, business.

He throws it away trying to rise above himself into a world he knows but does not understand.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I believe Artie is most pissed because they're skimming his credit card sales and AMEX shuts down their merchant processing. The fact that she was attractive and not into him was ancillary.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This is probably my least favorite episode in the entire series. The Hollywood stuff was so heavy handed.

The Artie story was decent but "Artie is a schmuck who gets in over his head" wasn't exactly fresh territory by this point.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Little Carmine won The Mafia

like everyone thinks he's a joke but by the end of everything he's rich, happy, domestically secure, and no one is trying to murder him

He's very allegorical

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’d be super stoked if Jerusalem did a Mad Men run through.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

I cant believe there is a discussion around this. His "oh god" or whatever after Silvio says why dont you call for help on your radio says it all for me. He was caught and he knew it

The point of Jimmy being caught isn’t that we care about Jimmy, it’s that it throws you off the trail of Pussy also being a rat. Who give a poo poo about Jimmy.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Well they do have an implied history. He was in Tony and Jackie’s little junior crew.

He missed the big score with them because of the Clap

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I must be loyle to my capo

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

“I like some pulp”

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Christopher: “even with computers, how could they possibly know that”

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Brian the Financial Advisor managed to get away with a couple nice suits and a pretty sweet drill!

He ends up with Carm's lovely spec house so not really.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Reminds me of that bit in this show where (I'm pretty sure!) Tony says he feels like he got in at the end of something rather than the beginning

Pretty sure this is the central focus of therapy in the pilot!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

rear end in a top hat Robert Frost

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Gyshall posted:

He was gay, Gary Cooper?

I say this around other people at least once a month

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

crispix posted:

In season 4, Ginny's rear end mole goes from 98lb to 95lb when the joke is told to Paulie, then to 90lb by the time it reaches John lol

Maybe she was doing the Atkins!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Anyone else ever pondered that Puss called Tony skip/skipper (as he did Jackie Sr.) but his FBI handler is also actually named Skip? I'm just saying, strange that they'd be so similar.

https://youtu.be/gdP7f4_YL8I

Me, reading that post

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I never got the sense that Noah slept with the roommate. He’s a big enough douche without it.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I said my piece

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The guy that broke into Stew Leonard’s that one time, stole all those pork loins?

Yes, but it’s not about that

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

"Sacre bleu! Where is me mama?!"

Under the boardwaaaaaalk, with a schlong in Jan's mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

KORNOLOGY posted:

So, did you say it?