Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I was thinking about doing a rewatch anyway. Jerusalem, I would be happy to join you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If Marchand didn't die, how were they going to resolve the Livia testifies against Tony storyline? Has Chase ever said?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anybody be interested if I did episode write ups for Six Feet Under or Deadwood?

P.S. I feel naked without my Mouzone avatar.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2019

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
idiotic double post

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I remember Ishamael posted an amazing baked ziti recipe many, many years back. It ended up costing like $40 or more for all the ingredients, but it was the best ziti I've ever had.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This is the season I have examined the least, so I am especially digging these write-ups. Jerusalem, you really should turn this into a book when you're done. These are just so loving good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

, and it stands out particularly given how interestingly written Annalisa in season 1 was.

Season 2?

Ralph Wiggum: I made a contribution.

loving loving these write-ups man. I look forward to each one. Totally agree with the utter disgust for the way Lorraine Caluzzo was portrayed.

What is that thing about Artie almost losing toes?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 27, 2019

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

banned from Starbucks posted:

He wanted to gently caress a woman, but he compromised. He jacked off into a tissue instead.

Grilled cheese off the raddy-ator

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Another incredible write-up for one of my all-time favorite episodes. This is the most fun I've had with these Sopranos episodes since they originally aired, despite numerous other re-watches. Thanks again Jerusalem.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Dawgstar posted:

(and apparently neither was the rest of the cast).

What's the story on that?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Julianna Margolis playing a character named Julianna takes me out of the show a bit. I thought that arc, and those episodes, were the nadir of the show when they originally aired. I was a teenager then, now in my thirties. Was also in the closet, versus out. So the Vito storyline is affecting me in a way it didn't before. Gannascoli may be an unpleasant personality but I thought he did a great job with this arc. "Sometimes you tell a lie so long, you don't know when to stop." is a great line. It's also more poignant since the actor who played Johnny Cakes took his life just a couple years later.

Taking an infant on a ride at an amusement park is Janice's most damnable offense, to me. Worse than killing her serial killing domestic abuser.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 16, 2019

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
He also sleeps with the prostitute when he and Paulie go on the lam and hang out with Beansie. The one who thought Paulie was his dad.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Rewatching Whitecaps and I can't figure out why Larry Barese is in the courtroom during Junior's trial.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
"As Tony reviews the illustrated book on dinosaurs, Jason Barone is unknowingly walking into the feeding grounds of some primitive carnivores. "
I love these little connections you make. Great analysis of the symbolism.

The line about the healing power of prayer is, I believe, a reference to a media study that came out around the time of this episode, that stated prayer does NOT help.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 9, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Great write-up for a great episode.

BiggerBoat posted:

I like it. I was a closeted bi man at the time and seeing the show at least try to deal with the issue, especially in the context of the mafia, to me felt like Chase trying to do something even more contemporary with the idea of The Modern Mob.

Fist bump. Samesies.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think Vito was bi, not gay

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Fair enough

My rationale was most men who are exclusively homosexual don't have children.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bip Roberts posted:

They absolutely do.

I mean, I would call Vito like a 5 on the Kinsey scale

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
When Carlo takes over the construction op from Vito, Tony gets pissed that he doesn't bring in close to the money Vito does. "Maybe you should start sucking cock instead of watching TV, because Vito brought in 3 times as much as you!" So while I construction is a lucrative of op, Vito and Ralphie did have some special capabilities.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
And it essentially scares Finn off for good. Meadow picks Patrick Parisi after that, and I have to wonder - is it because she believed any "outsider" would eventually follow in Finn's footsteps? So the only way she can ensure her mob roots are not going to affect her relationship is to date someone else who grew up like her? Someone who is desensitized.

I dunno, just spitballing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, Meadow basically gaslights Finn for at least a year over what happened with Vito. And she continues to obfuscate when he lays it all out for her in brutal detail.

Does she gaslight him or does she not actually believe him until the corroboration comes around? I'm unclear on that.

ruddiger posted:

Isn’t Patrick Parisi in law school too? He’s still going to end up a mob lawyer, but he has that air of plausible deniability around him that Meadow loves to flirt with throughout the whole series.

Yes

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Basebf555 posted:

Her reaction when she hears about Vito I think shows that she isn't surprised in the least and already assumed that he was gay based on Finn's story.

Yeah, you're right.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

That's David Chase sitting across the aisle. He also cameo'd in Commendatori.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Wow, Diane from Oz cleans up well.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think you just failed the sopranos trivia game

I thought he was joking Gandolfini was so slim then that he was unrecognizable. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that one out.

edit: vv that's even funnier vv

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 2, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Pattonesque posted:

like everyone thinks he's a joke but by the end of everything he's rich, happy, domestically secure, and no one is trying to murder him

It's quite the stagmire.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

Ironically he's the perfect role model for AJ.
Hahahaha holy gently caress.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-rGnI9XNo
Mr. Show did a Goodfellas sketch like this. Fun, along the same lines.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
His weight gain was part of the character, wasn't it? As in, David Chase wrote that in. Or did I make that up?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

lurker2006 posted:

"You're already pudgy but we're gonna need you to become morbidly obese for the better part of 5 years". I hope Chase and company weren't this ghoulish.

Hahahahaha. I thought it was supposed to be a representation of how Tony's appetite just grew larger and he remained insatiable. He got everything he wanted in life, food, sex, money, and just kept wanting more and more.
I also hope that I'm wrong, but I swear I heard something to that effect. Maybe they just "incorporated his weight gain into the character arc" - that sounds more reasonable.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Stage 5 is the one I have been waiting for the most since you've started these writeups. It's a top tier episode.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
My dog at the time (RIP) was named Butchie and I loved saying "No more Butchie, no more of this" when he was a bad boy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So I remember something about this episode. It came out a week or so after the Virginia Tech massacre, of course perpetrated by Seung-Hui Cho. Someone speculated that it seemed there was a storyline about Carter's father that might have been dropped as a result of the recent headlines. Whaddya think? The reason Carter is in there is never explicitly stated. And since it was mentioned, it does feel a little incomplete and less fleshed out than is usual for this show.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think we get enough of a glimpse of what hes in for without having to outright say it. The episodes runtime is already the longest of any other this season (except the finale) that i dont think there was much that would have been cut and none of the other scenes feel like they were added or shot after the fact to fill time. Its not like the show has shied away from mentioning school shootings before either (Chris thinking Vito Jr is gonna "pull a Columbine")
Very good points. This is just something that was always ingrained in me, from the original goon discussion thread ~14 years ago. The presumption, I think, was that America wasn't in the mood for an angry, murderous Asian character at the time, and they may have cut some scenes about Carter killing, or attempting to kill, his father.

But, anyway, back on topic, I think Carter was a great one-off character and it just goes to show you, the quality of this show's writing, that this one-off character is so multi-dimensional and interesting, a great foil for Junior.

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's important that Carter's dad be completely absent, because that absence looms so large in Carter's mind and so drastically affects everything he does.
Interesting!

Honestly have to say I empathize a lot with Carter.

I'm gonna be dumping unorganized thoughts in this thread because I am doing several things at once.

- Paulie's reaction to Beansie's condition is hilarious in a morbid way. Beansie is the one suffering and Paulie makes it all about him. "Kill me now!"
- The Dick Cheney scene is so goddamn funny

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 30, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Looking forward to the next review, even though I consider it the worst episode of the final nine. It's as if the writers stepped in poo poo, so to speak, when writing this episode.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Could you get a screencap of Tony laughing at Chris? During the scene where Chris relapses. There's a shot where Tony straight up looks like the devil.

Another great write up, Jerusalem.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
One of Carlo's final scenes with Tony, Tony dresses him down and embarrasses the poo poo out of him, saying he should suck cock instead of watching TV because Vito brought in 3 times the money with the construction.

Carlo is one who cares a lot about "honor", and I wonder how much this single scene influenced his decision to flip.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The introduction of Walden Belfiore in the final episodes was strange, especially since he was given such a huge role, killing Phil.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Good call. And Eugene was a childhood friend of Tony's, and that didn't even help him get fast tracked.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Am I understanding correctly that every bit part or one line character needs to have a backstory stretching back several seasons and episodes (check out the fan wikis to scratch this itch, hoo boy), or that important things in the story should only ever be done by main characters? (Neither of these things make for good tv)

As for Meadow’s breakup with Finn, we already got the “you brought out a suitcase!” scene so I don’t know how much more time we wanted to spend with the breakdown of their frankly doomed and adolescent romance.

Would it be a better show if other offscreen things like Dick Barone’s death were shown with the same level of detail as Johnny Sack’s, or if we had actually ever seen the original Green Grove director other than his toupee? Everything in the show is that way for a reason.

Also lol at “there’s only one person in this whole crew, not much of a crew if you ask me!” talk because again, we don’t need to be introduced to every wiseguy in New Jersey to assume yes, there are other people involved in this operation and no we shouldn’t be upset that we don’t see more of them. The show is already packed with amazing characters and the world is extremely well fleshed out. I can offer no improvements (other than that one weird wipe cut in Cold Cuts which apparently was not even intentional).

Well I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just that it was a bit jarring to have the endgame carried out by someone whose face was introduced in the final three episodes. It seemed like a deliberate, David Chase creative decision, and rather than argue whether it was right or wrong, I am more interested in what Chase was trying to convey with this choice. Perhaps it was meant to convey how the mafia has a serious turnover rate, as it straight up cannibalizes its employees.

Again, I wasn't coming down on whether or the not the decision was right or wrong. Just that it was jarring, deliberate, and I wonder why Chase made that decision.

So let's rephrase the question, what is the implication of having a brand new face murder the boss of one of the five families?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 17, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bip Roberts posted:

Was Eugene a multi-generation made man? That seems to make a big difference.

He was a childhood friend of Tony's (fuckin' CYO basketball)

Saw a hilarious meme that had Vito Jr. at the Puerto Rican day parade with Blanca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ginette Reno posted:

The guy who kills Tony in the last episode doesn't have even have a name so why does Uncle Philly deserve to get killed by a main character?

Deserve's got nothing to do with it