Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
You can catch a llama with sunglasses which for me validates the entire subsystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Catching the rare animals is worth it just to sell them. I think they are like 11k a pop.

I'm up to the plot size before the last one, and added animals for the heck of it. Takes way too long for them to be worth selling, and they're also not worth how much time they take :saddowns: They do give poop though, and any poop income is good income to me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I don't mind the chicken coop and a few chickens, because it's a steady stream of manure, but the barn and cows/sheep is just too much space for too little payoff.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
You're not a farmer or a rancher. You're a crafter. It makes sense to me that crops/livestock aren't meant to be profitable in a game like this. Keep some around because they're cute, but this isn't Harvest Moon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So much you can buy straight from the vendor so animals aren't all that useful once you have a good way to make money.

The option is there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there anyone or anything that will take care of your fish for you? Breeding King fish is crazy profitable but I'm trying to get one pair of each type and feeding them is getting annoying. Ack doesn't seem to. I just married Emily and she hasn't fed them yet.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 24, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nope, you're stuck feeding them. Just chuck in a bunch of food at a time and do that again once the indicator is back up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Endgame stuff:
I was wondering why the sword I got from the Deepest Ruin was so much shittier than the Rogue Knight's Sword, so I looked it up and apparently the console version of the game is bugged and you're not supposed to be able to use the RKS until you hit level 60, which makes way more sense, because getting to level 60 seems like a pretty steep grind.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This is a great game but it is agreed it is missing that last bit of polish. I’d say what takes me most out of the game is that you are teleported home if you stay up too late. Not even a token reason given. Same thing for running out of health. Sparing is broken and the poor townspeople don’t get iframes.

The game is amazing otherwise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Who is the best waifu/husbando? I married Emily but she turned out to be boring and I don't think she does anything Ack doesn't.

Mint seems to give the best rewards, but I'm in year 2 so I don't really need anything.

DropsySufferer posted:

This is a great game but it is agreed it is missing that last bit of polish. I’d say what takes me most out of the game is that you are teleported home if you stay up too late. Not even a token reason given. Same thing for running out of health. Sparing is broken and the poor townspeople don’t get iframes.

The game is amazing otherwise.

Sparing is balanced around you winning. The cost is the huge amount of stamina it sucks up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LLSix posted:

The cost is the huge amount of stamina it sucks up.

And yet it's so worth it to beat Higgins's rear end every day. :allears:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

And yet it's so worth it to beat Higgins's rear end every day. :allears:

I prefer to steal the bar(s) from his furnace every morning. I've gotten to the point in my game where I have all the comprehensive cutters and grinders so I don't even make bars anymore, but I get up early just to steal from Higgins.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Who is the best waifu/husbando? I married Emily but she turned out to be boring and I don't think she does anything Ack doesn't.

Mint seems to give the best rewards, but I'm in year 2 so I don't really need anything.

Sparing is balanced around you winning. The cost is the huge amount of stamina it sucks up.

Gale. He comes with a free pig and has pretty hair.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Stool Sample posted:

Gale. He comes with a free pig and has pretty hair.

Gust is my top pick for worst person in Portia. As just one example, he gets mad when Mint gives him free stuff to try and be his friend.

Gale is the mayor and doesn't have a pig.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 5, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We talking Gust or Gale here?

Mint is awful. and his voice acting is the worst in the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zesty posted:

We talking Gust or Gale here?

Mint is awful. and his voice acting is the worst in the game.

Gust I think since Gale doesn't have a pig.

I loathe Mint's voice, but his personality seemed okay. Maybe a little needy. What don't you like about him?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't even remember if it's the writing or just the voice, but the voice is bad enough to overshadow everything.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, I did mean Gust. I guess I have a weakness for trash-tier video game husbands who come into the home with bonus animals.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Free Outfit DLC is available. Swimwear!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I got several months of entertainment out of a single playthrough. This game is amazing. Has anyone heard even a whisper of multiplayer support or mod?

My wife and I play it next to each other, but that's not the same thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I need to finish up my playthrough on this. Got to the last boss awhile back, crashed to desktop and lost myself in Graveyard keeper and other games for a bit.

I liked Phyllis for my waifu since she seemed pretty interesting, having some lore on Highwind and whatnot (also I found out early on that she really likes Talismans so she was my first maxed out bud regardless.)

I'm not certain multiplayer support is in the cards for this. There's been no hints or remarks on it at all, compared with how Stardew Valley's MP stuff came out at least.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm in the middle of a second playthrough of this. I thought I remembered how bad the Carbon Steel Grind was, but I didn't. Why do you need so much of this stuff? I don't think I've used a single manganese bar outside of requests!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New update trying to shill paid DLC crap at you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Finish-Finished the game, complete with [strike]staff[/strike]backer roll. The ending "here is all the stuff you did!" list seems bugged and most of the numbers were off. It said I hadn't caught any King fish, I hadn't turned in any commissions, I hadn't cut down any trees, and had only been down to the tenth floor of the Deepest Dungeon even though I had gotten to 30-something (that one is explainable - I was farming Carbon Fiber from the boss on the 10th Floor because I could clear it in less than 20 seconds). I also assume there was supposed to be music playing during this sequence instead of silence, just like I assume there was supposed to be music playing during every instance of what's her face's songs instead of silence.

Anyway at least if I ever decide to replay this I'll remember to plant two Crystal trees early on and maybe that'll make things run a little more smoothly.

Zesty posted:

New update trying to shill paid DLC crap at you.

you know, i'm pretty tolerant of a lot of this game's issues, but selling paid DLC when so many of the game's other issues are still unaddressed is a little...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

you know, i'm pretty tolerant of a lot of this game's issues, but selling paid DLC when so many of the game's other issues are still unaddressed is a little...

Agreed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://steamcommunity.com/app/666140/discussions/0/2673382644944622748/?ctp=2#c2673383081702608006

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Game is currently 60% off. You can get it for a mere $12 and I guarantee you can get a hundred hours of content out of it in its current state.

They put out an awkward video that basically came down to them promising 10 hours of new story content will be added to the end of the game as well as a new villager and some quality of life features.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 9, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Just got this game yesterday and it owns. I was worried from reading the Steam comments that it was going to be way too janky, but it's definitely playable. I'm going to Suck Off Siwa

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did they ever make any substantial improvements to the Switch port? I hear it was pretty rough at release.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

Did they ever make any substantial improvements to the Switch port? I hear it was pretty rough at release.

I think they got the initial load time down to like one minute instead of five minutes, so there's that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zesty posted:

Game is currently 60% off. You can get it for a mere $12 and I guarantee you can get a hundred hours of content out of it in its current state.

They put out an awkward video that basically came down to them promising 10 hours of new story content will be added to the end of the game as well as a new villager and some quality of life features.

I really loved the game, so I'll classify this video as 'adorkable'.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bright Sun Day, and I still haven't built the bridge or a full set of civil furnaces yet. On the other hand, I've already got a dozen buddies. Progress, of a sort.

It's insane how much more profitable fishing is than doing anything else. Very frustrating that you can't make the tier two fishing rod until you unlock industrial furnaces.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've noticed that people gain levels faster if I spar with them, so I've started sparring with the civil corps trio every day to help them level. Is there anything else I can do to help them level quickly?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That, I guess? I wouldn’t worry about it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Do NPC levels even do anything?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They increase their stats for when they're fighting/sparring you.

That's pretty much it.

I think that also increases the rewards? I haven't sparred much in favor of cramming my factory full of stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Unreal_One posted:

Do NPC levels even do anything?

I've been assuming it helps when they go on quests with you. I don't really know though.

I know that for the player there's some damage scaling based on level so it's harder to fight higher level monsters.

A fun trick if you need to kill a bunch of monsters or want to go hazardous ruin diving is to plan a play date for the morning and drag your partner into the fighting with you. Arlo is pretty useful to have along.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolJ3ZHzhCo

:ohdear:

Also, My Time At Portia is getting an update soonish

quote:

In late October, there will be a large update to My Time at Portia that includes:
A new NPC - Mason
Added Mason sidequest
Added Higgins sidequests
Added extra main quests
Fixed the issue that the Mint Under the Sun mission may cause the game to black screen and freeze
Fixed the issue of freezing after the dialogue in the Alice Book Fair plot

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Real happy they're continuing this into a series, but Kickstarter does not fill me with confidence. You'd think they'd be doing okay from Portia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
They are, they said the kickstarter is just to get stuff done faster, and if it fails the multiplayer would be less fleshed out until they get some sales from release