Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hopefully it won't have that absolutely garbage dungeon/underground stuff

or a stamina meter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's no reason not to do Kickstarter these days for a bit of extra security/testing the waters, tbh.

Also, if anyone skipped clicking a random undescribed Youtube link - they're Kickstarting My Time at Sandrock, the sequel to My Time at Portia.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolJ3ZHzhCo

Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/my-time-at-sandrock-us

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 26, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Megazver posted:

There's no reason not to do Kickstarter these days for a bit of extra security/testing the waters, tbh.

Also, if anyone skipped clicking a random undescribed Youtube link - they're Kickstarting My Time at Sandrock, the sequel to My Time at Portia.

Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/my-time-at-sandrock-us

My Time at Sandrock posted:

we’re going to have a dedicated single-player RPG and a special mode where friends or strangers can play together.

No! Bad Developer! No pledge for you!

I want to play the game with my friends. I don't want some weird mini-game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's going to be a special map/zone, apparently.

Which is not as fun as doing the whole game together, but I guess I prefer them taking things slow and aiming for something achievable, then trying to create a full co-op experience as their second game.

Maybe they'll expand on that in their third game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The kickstarter mentions some updates to combat although apparently it's still going to remain "simple." While I'm not asking for Devil May Cry here, I really do hope they do something with dungeons and combat so it's not just running down a corridor and smashing left click over and over until everything is dead and you're half way to carpal tunnel.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

There was a lot of charm with Portia, so hoping this next game is even better (especially with MP). Not a fan of 2d stuff like Stardew Valley, so I've been jonesing for a game like this to be MP and play with some friends/family.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kloa posted:

There was a lot of charm with Portia, so hoping this next game is even better (especially with MP). Not a fan of 2d stuff like Stardew Valley, so I've been jonesing for a game like this to be MP and play with some friends/family.

Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kloa posted:

I posted about this earlier on this page, but it doesn't look like the main game is going to be multiplayer.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Megazver posted:

Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2?

Not yet. May pick it up on a sale eventually, but it looked more akin to Minecraft (open-ended) than a dedicated housing plot with upgrades and such, which is what I've been looking for like Portia.

LLSix posted:

I posted about this earlier on this page, but it doesn't look like the main game is going to be multiplayer.

Oh :saddowns: welp there goes my excitement.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kloa posted:

Not yet. May pick it up on a sale eventually, but it looked more akin to Minecraft (open-ended) than a dedicated housing plot with upgrades and such, which is what I've been looking for like Portia.

Oh :saddowns: welp there goes my excitement.

You may enjoy Garden Paws. Everyone in it is a cute little animal and we didn't like it as much as SV or Portia, but it was a fun 30 hours before we got tired.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kloa posted:

Nah. It's about half and half you building cute little villages for NPCs (and you actually BUILD them, brick by brick) and half adventuring to collect materials and do quests (which is a lot more fun than Portia's monster killing and dungeons). It's very fun, I assure you. Take a closer look at some video reviews, maybe.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Megazver posted:

It's going to be a special map/zone, apparently.

Which is not as fun as doing the whole game together, but I guess I prefer them taking things slow and aiming for something achievable, then trying to create a full co-op experience as their second game.

Maybe they'll expand on that in their third game.

I mean technically there was Planet Explorers first which had open-world multiplayer.

Of course with the servers for that being down now, well, not so much anymore. At least they gave the game away for free due to it, which is a nice gesture.

You can get it here: Steam: Planet Explorers

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, I remember hearing this game was really janky on release but I've feeling like one of these sorts of games again and the focus on crafting looks interesting.

Has the early jank been fixed up or is it still around? And if not, is it still worth getting? Of the Harvest Moon-likes I've played, my favorites were RF3/4 and Stardew Valley.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

There’s elements that don’t feel finished still, but nothing buggy or janky.

Well worth a play through. Steam says I’ve got a couple hundred hours in it.

Since you’ve already played SV and RF4 there’s nothing I would recommend over this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's still not, like, SUPER polished like a bigger and better financed studio's game would be, but it's fine. Play it, it's very fun.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

This game is free today on the Epic Game Store! At the time of my posting, it'll be free for another 15.5 hours! (The next EGS unlock happens at 11am EST tomorrow).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally remembered I own this game a year after I bought it, and it's a lot of fun. I just completely lost my Sunday, didn't realise time was passing until it started to get dark

Mysticblade posted:

Hey, I remember hearing this game was really janky on release but I've feeling like one of these sorts of games again and the focus on crafting looks interesting.

Has the early jank been fixed up or is it still around? And if not, is it still worth getting? Of the Harvest Moon-likes I've played, my favorites were RF3/4 and Stardew Valley.

I'm not noticing any jank at all

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The dungeon crawling in general isn't great.

BTW, if anyone else wants another game like this one, Dragon Quest Builders 2 is great.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Megazver posted:

The dungeon crawling in general isn't great.

Yeah, I've been finally playing this game this whole weekend myself.

And as for the quoted part, don't forget that you can pay your friendly town militia to do the run-of-the-mill dungeon diving for you once you beat a dungeon segment once!
You can then spend the saved ingame time to do something much more lucrative like fishing!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone know how the switch port runs?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

My wife just started over on the Switch version. The graphics are a little reduced from max on PC. Load times aren't great. The game starts off with a major (like 3 minute) load. Devs said that the initial big load is so there are reduced load times during the game proper, so :shrug:

--

a7m2 posted:

On Switch:
Frame rate is excellent and the graphics are fine and the controls are great.

My only two complaints:
  • The text is a little hard to read on handheld.
  • The load times are a little annoying but not too bad. The initial load takes a while, but after that it's alright. The load times when you sleep are about the same as the Stardew Valley port before they optimized it.

All-in-all I prefer playing it on Switch because I like playing handheld. Technically speaking, the PC version is better I guess.

--

Blast of Confetti posted:

switch version is out and it's pretty good. some gathering gets a little laggy on handheld mode when trees explode in to wood. also theres no option for slowing down time so im hoping they patch that in

still worth getting if you're interested in it on the switch/ps4 imo

--

Fallom posted:

Did they ever make any substantial improvements to the Switch port? I hear it was pretty rough at release.

TurnipFritter posted:

I think they got the initial load time down to like one minute instead of five minutes, so there's that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
When I played on Switch, the loading times were unplayably bad. But I think there's been a patch to improve them since that time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hmm, really thinking of picking it up then. Thanks

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This game is much comfier than Stardew Valley. I'm pretty sure I've finished the main story missions, but I'm enjoying pootling around fishing and doing crafting commissions and growing crops.

In contrast, post-evaluation Stardew Valley just feels pointless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I like this game a lot, but I always eventually burn out. The main story seems to be time-gated as much as anything. New events don't happen until a few days after you complete the previous one.

Every game I've started of this, I eventually hit a point where I can complete even big quest construction deliveries in a day or two. After that, I have to wait a week for the next event and it's just boring. Before that, it's great fun. Definitely my #2 recommendation after SV.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What pulls me back to Portia - and keeps me playing - is the extensive visible change and improvement to the town. Stardew has a little of that but it's all backloaded to the endgame. Meanwhile in Portia your growth is also the town's growth: you go from doing tiny commissions to building the town a public transit system, a lighthouse, and a big fancy bridge, among other things.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I put a solid 100 hours into this game, and am looking forward to their next game. I need more artsy, comfy crafting and farming to do :getin:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I played the game a fair bit at release but haven't touched it since - have they added new content at all?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I played the game a fair bit at release but haven't touched it since - have they added new content at all?

I only found it long after release so it's hard for me to tell. I know that there were several times I thought I'd reached the last quest, and then the game just kept going for dozens more hours.

The DLC is purely cosmetic.

If you post the last thing you remember, someone can probably comment on if there's more main story after that.

Most of the social mechanics still feel unfinished. The amount and usefulness of bonuses for friendship varies wildly between NPCs.

Farming/livestock work but are mostly money sinks.
Did release have fish tanks? There are fish tanks now and they're wildly profitable if you put king fish in them.

Top tier mining and woodcutting gear is electric powered now. Just hold down the button and chop/mine super fast. Feels real good.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Plot-wise, if you worked out all your daddy issues, you saw all the plot content. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, then you missed the last plot content drop.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

I only found it long after release so it's hard for me to tell. I know that there were several times I thought I'd reached the last quest, and then the game just kept going for dozens more hours.

The DLC is purely cosmetic.

If you post the last thing you remember, someone can probably comment on if there's more main story after that.

Most of the social mechanics still feel unfinished. The amount and usefulness of bonuses for friendship varies wildly between NPCs.

Farming/livestock work but are mostly money sinks.
Did release have fish tanks? There are fish tanks now and they're wildly profitable if you put king fish in them.

Top tier mining and woodcutting gear is electric powered now. Just hold down the button and chop/mine super fast. Feels real good.

Okay it sounds like there are some new things (including what skeleton warriors said), or at least things that weren't super fleshed out when I lost interest the first time. Time to give it another go!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
May 2021 Dev Update

What do you mean you still haven't finished voice lines for Portia? Isn't Sandrock coming out soonish?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Guess they're working on both Sandrock and more ports of Portia.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Honestly really looking forward to Sandrock, even though I hate desert areas, because I think Portia had a lot of neat ideas for this genre that didn't necessarily work out and I'm hoping they've gained enough experience and feedback to really polish the experience (and maybe have enough money to hire a good localizer to breathe some life into the script). and maybe I won't end up anime marrying the one character who leaves during the storyline

Zesty posted:

May 2021 Dev Update

What do you mean you still haven't finished voice lines for Portia? Isn't Sandrock coming out soonish?

I think the full release for Sandrock is targeting 2022, so I guess they're trying to get Portia to a point where they can say it's finished, which includes dubbing all the new Higgins-friendship content.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

what

why would you be friends with Higgins

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

i didn't know about sandrock until today, but that poo poo looks goooood. I liked portia a whole lot, but it had some big issues that they could address with this

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

skeleton warrior posted:

what

why would you be friends with Higgins

Spite

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zesty posted:

May 2021 Dev Update

Wild. I didn't feel any dialogue was especially missing voice overs, but I'm not going to turn down a free update either.

Katana_Warrior posted:

i didn't know about sandrock until today, but that poo poo looks goooood. I liked portia a whole lot, but it had some big issues that they could address with this

What issues did you have? My main gripes was how much stuff was left unfinished or half-baked. Making a new game before polishing off the first one rather indicates that'll be an even bigger issue in Sandrock to me.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

LLSix posted:

What issues did you have? My main gripes was how much stuff was left unfinished or half-baked. Making a new game before polishing off the first one rather indicates that'll be an even bigger issue in Sandrock to me.

I thought Portia tried to cover a lot of breadth at the expense of depth in its gameplay systems and in a way that probably couldn't be fixed without an overhaul. They already have posts that they're focusing on expanding the combat and relationship systems, and stuff like farming is going to be different with however they handle the water mechanic. I think in general Sandrock is going to be more fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Portia was never supposed to be as big as it became and all the extra stuff they crammed in was because it blew up in popularity. Have pretty high hopes for Sandrock.