Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Me I've decided to be classy and settle for the Bratz Doll look for my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
How do you find out people's preferences? How do you ask them to hang out?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think you need a certain level of friendship and so far only way I've found to find gifts they like is trial and error. I'm all error so far lol. Nobody has ever had more than a pity response and more than 1 person has had negative ones. When I hit 1 star full with Mi-An and Elise(redhead farmer girl?) I got a story quest involving them both, not sure if coincidence or if tied to getting to that level with em both.

I need to stop playing, I'm already 17.5 hours in, lol. Almost through first month, but I'm running out of things to upgrade from my lightbulb level-ups. Not sure I'll quite be able to become number one, but I get the feeling if you always grabbed the highest rep jobs turned in day-of and got 2 star workshop asap to grab more quests per day, you could beat him. Got to number 2 halfway through month but the gap there to number one was bigger than the others before it combined. Getting close, even though I often just took quests I could complete offhand over ones that would drain my day to gather up.

I wonder how much will be added by release, I think I'll finish out the month and let it rest so don't miss if they add or change things. Already got some books and stuff that don't seem to be useable in bookshelves or have any effect, still unwritten. Assumed they'd give stat boosts for some reason but maybe that's just on me. Might restart at release, I know yuou can pace it out however you want, but I'd really like to become number 1 in town first month for my own satisfaction. I could also do better with my town friendship, I mostly just get the +2 or so for talking to them and don't have a gift routine and don't usually wanna even do 1x of the card/brawl just b/c it eats up so much time to mash A. Maybe next round I'll look up a find a good set of gifts to pump up at least some of the folks easiest to reach in my routine.

i just made as goblin a lady I could

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How good is Portia now? Is it still glitchy?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I did a second playthrough a couple months ago after having done my original playthrough during release. I don’t remember any bugs, and all of the voice lines were fully voiced this time.

Frequently goes on sale for 10 bucks. Hundred hours of content.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tired Moritz posted:

It's my second recommendation for people who have already played all the Stardew Valley they can. I've spent a lot of time playing other games, and it's really just SV, Portia, and RF4 in a class of their own. Everything else is a big step down in at least one or more areas.

I've never had a glitch in Portia, although it is worth manually copying your save every month or so - the game's autosave feature will over-ride your manual saves if you let it run long enough. I once accidentally left it on unpaused without noticing and it faithfully autosaved every day for a year and a half. Naturally, this wiped out every other save on that character. Despite that, it was still completely playable, just with a weird date. And that's the worst behavior I've seen in Portia.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never had glitches in Portia, at most some goober will get caught up on something or fail to go about the walk routine which often just made them easier to find anyway.

Sandrock is still fun, once you start getting into the first star for characters you get more little activities and sie things going on, it's nice to have stuff all up in the air rather than just an inevitable routine. I did kind of give myself too much going on , failed one part-time task and am going to fail this other to harvest wheat in time, just started too late. The first one I failed I accepted at like 18:00 from cooper to go weed his land, aka give 5 oregano, but the dance thing pushed me to so late that he was in bed and i couldn't get in his room to give him the oregano as proof of my weeding. That's one me for accepting, but I didn't realize how it was timed out.

My one gripe so far is that the dance-off event only gives 25 medals for winning, but each round wastes like quite a few hours. I think if you win every single one and spend every available moment of the dance-off, you only get enough medals for the cheapest thing. I missed one chance at it because there was an impromptu fireside meeting, which itself eats through a couple hours. Not a fan of those weird time skips for events that unfold in "real time", where time is already like a minute a second or whatever. Double time penalty for cutscenes!

I like the Sandrock vibe in general more, even this church branch seems pretty chill, though I still reflexively do not trust the church lady lookin like she owns a plantation. I dig the notion of cleaning up trash and recycling it all, digging through scrap to repurpose stuff, the town working as a community with civic pride being a local virtue. Stuff like not chopping down trees and cacti justy to churn out some crates since those are important ecological things that take ages to grow and provide numerous other benefits when not dead as food or furniture. Functionally you still get all the resources you need renewing themselves pretty close to home, but scrounging through desert scrap piles in a post-apocalyptic world to recycle is just cooler than holding the same button at a tree.

I like the story so far too, there's a water shortage on and there's a real motivation for me to help solve it because I'm blowing all my money on water at the inflated prices. Extra tension because I've been trying to build the story stuff fairly quickly, the game isn't rushing and I don't think there's any reward or incentive for going this fast, in fact, it sometimes makes a mess for yourself if you don't pace yourself. However, I'd been researching all these upgrades for my machines, except I ignored an entire upgrade tab, not seeing the option to upgrade my workshop, which was the bottleneck to upgrade everyone of my other machines which were pretty much ready to go, just needed that workshop and i assumed it was from the story or workshop progress. I also expanded my garden for a big zeke quest and some other stuff so added more water pressure at the wrong time. I'm almost ready to solve this water crisis -- except I'm bottlenecked for iron, which I'm now accruing through stacks of scrap I'd piled up without a civil recycler, so it'll still be a few days. OH and I just wanna make a story spoiler guess and say that Logan the wanted poster guy is the blonde journalist guy who only seems to be in town sometimes.

I've also made enough one-star friends in town now that in the morning there's random gifts/junk just piled up in front of my house. Kind of nice because they seem to drop them off by hand so sometimes you can catch em as they start walking back to normal spawn or routine. However, friendship can also mean someone stops to jabber on as soon as you walk outside, but doesn't pause people so mi-an can just slip inside and snake the good commissions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Game is fun, though it's a bummer there are a lot of unfinished parts of the social tree. In games like Stardew Valley, I sought easy to get but well liked gifts but according to guides the 'loved' gifts are pretty rare or assembled artifacts.

Here, I get the sense the easiest way to build up relationship is to just do commission quests for them. Best way to make money too!

One gripe I do have is that food in general isn't that useful. For all the effort that goes into making it from scratch, most of the buffs aren't that helpful. What you need is stamina more than anything.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tired Moritz posted:

the main big thing with portia is it really does feel like the early unity engine game that it is, which is... not great. if you can stomach that it's fine and I assume sandrock has infinitely more production value given the team has more experience from the get go, but yeesh.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

the main big thing with portia is it really does feel like the early unity engine game that it is, which is... not great. if you can stomach that it's fine and I assume sandrock has infinitely more production value given the team has more experience from the get go, but yeesh.

Sandrock immediately feels better in terms of physics, camera, stability etc.

Portia always just felt off doing things in.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since Sandrock is out but still in EA I decided to go back to Portia and finish it for good. I started over and worked myself I think halfway through the story so far? I'm currently building the bridge to the desert area.

However i have one question, is there a way to get rid of the micro stutter/pause every time you swing the pickaxe? It's like it's doing a check to update the gameworld every time you swing the pickaxe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll try and pay attention to it but have not noticed it at all yet. There have been a couple times where randomly I go into a menu or something and my FPS drops to 20 and stays that low no matter where I go. Restarting the game fixed it, figured it's some optimization thing that'll smooth out eventually?

Gamerofthegame posted:

There was something on their kickstarter on why they were even working on this over "fixing" Portia and they just had too many foundational issues and a wonky code base that just made any of the changes they wanted to make feasible. Definitely feels like they've already got a much better baseline engine going in Sandrock.

Panfilo posted:

Game is fun, though it's a bummer there are a lot of unfinished parts of the social tree. In games like Stardew Valley, I sought easy to get but well liked gifts but according to guides the 'loved' gifts are pretty rare or assembled artifacts.

Here, I get the sense the easiest way to build up relationship is to just do commission quests for them. Best way to make money too!

One gripe I do have is that food in general isn't that useful. For all the effort that goes into making it from scratch, most of the buffs aren't that helpful. What you need is stamina more than anything.

I'm getting most folks to one star after a bout a month in-game, all day 1 commissions, talking to everyone everyday, doing community events, donating to church, has let me get folks growing steadily, while a few folks I interact with more or like are a bit higher since I'll spar or play cards. Never found a gift that gave more than 2 rep so just haven't really bothered, I could look it up in a wiki but I'm trying to avoid that long as I can while game is still fresh. Plus everything I have is mostly stuff I need outside of a chest or two of clutter.

Haven't made any food yet, just now researching drying rack but yeah any food that isn't stamina i just ignore basically. The days seem mostly balanced around your stamina useage, your bar + daily special meal I think is your intended pacing. The 8% stamina foods I've used only really give enough juice for a few more whacks so it's less a day-extender and a "just lemme finish off this last bit of task before me" bump. No furniture I have yet even increases stamina and I don't think any gear stats add to it, endurance only adds to your dodge-roll bar which, lol who cares. Combat isn't hard enough to warrant buffing, maybe an attack buff to help get higher rank on Breach runs?

I'm curious how long the story of this game will be, I was kind of hoping to run into a "okay that's all for now come back later" about now but I'm still finding plenty of stuff to do. It's mostly my inpsiration points going to waste, I'm starting to stockpile them as running out of stuff to spend them on since most aren't in game yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sorry I should have clarified but im playing Portia and basically everytime the pickaxe hits something theres a 0.5 second pause. I want to get rid of that if its possible. Since it does not happen with the Axe I take it the game does some sanity/recalcuiation check for the breakable terrain but doesnt take into account if you actually hit terrain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The only food you really need is a drying rack to make dried apple slices from aroma apples. Each slice is 10% max sp and you get 5 per apple.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Sorry I should have clarified but im playing Portia and basically everytime the pickaxe hits something theres a 0.5 second pause. I want to get rid of that if its possible. Since it does not happen with the Axe I take it the game does some sanity/recalcuiation check for the breakable terrain but doesnt take into account if you actually hit terrain.

What are you playing it on? I hear the console versions are just unsalvageable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
PC. The game runs at a stable framerate, no hiccups/stutters otherwise. I have it on a SSD.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Talking to everyone every single day feels too tedious for a mere 1 rep outside of fireside chats or church where they're all clumped together. Though in spite of this I still got the Chatterbox achievement for 500 cumulative conversations. Event dialog also gets retained so if you haven't talked to someone in a while you can still hear their dumb opinions about bridges or geeglers or whatever for a few rep. And I'm guessing social exp scales with rep itself, though it's the least fleshed out skill tree right now.

I remember in Portia the specific buffs from building up friendships were all over the place and seldom very helpful in most cases and I worry that carried over here.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hit another bug, I did the mission for Gale to prove I'm "worthy" of marrying Ginger. I'm Rank A, #1 rated and the mission shows 1/1 for both conditions, Gale has a ... above his head but I can't talk to him. Is this a bug or do i seriously need to wait for Year 2 or something?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I found one other person who reported the exact same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/mytimeatportia/comments/aooiob/stutter_whenever_pickaxe_hits_a_rock/. Unfortunately, they never found a fix.

I've never seen that. You could try generic things, like reducing the video quality settings. Grass quality is largely irrelevant, for example. You might try running it in fullscreen instead of windowed (which I think is the default).

Sorry :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's not a performance issue. I switched the game to 144 fps limited instead of 60 and it cut the stutter down a little bit at least. Weird physics calculation stuff I bet.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Made it through all the content and was very sad when it ended. Never found out where to get jute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Talking to everyone every single day feels too tedious for a mere 1 rep outside of fireside chats or church where they're all clumped together. Though in spite of this I still got the Chatterbox achievement for 500 cumulative conversations. Event dialog also gets retained so if you haven't talked to someone in a while you can still hear their dumb opinions about bridges or geeglers or whatever for a few rep. And I'm guessing social exp scales with rep itself, though it's the least fleshed out skill tree right now.

I remember in Portia the specific buffs from building up friendships were all over the place and seldom very helpful in most cases and I worry that carried over here.

They're clumped together often enough or just on my way walking to wherever, never actually make it a point to say to everyone and people who mostly lurk inside or don't often wander across my paths have lowest. It's still early enough I'm occasionally amused by talking to folks anyway. MAking friends does get you present spam, which is sometimes useful, often just a random thing you'll never need and might just stick in a box or regift.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just started after “beating” stardew a few times, I have no idea whats going on haha

And holy poo poo these constant load screens

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 31, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even on SSD they're just the perfect length so I can't really grab my drink of water or hit the bong or alt-tab out, but also if I just sit and wait my mind will wander and I'll completely forget what I was about to do lol.

Fairly often I wake up, leave house to go beeline the comissions board, but I'll start tenfding to machines or reading my mail and have to reload day to get back on track

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Panfilo posted:

i treat chatting as something you do when you run into someone rather than a daily task. Most of my relationship gains come from commissions so far.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I already feel pressured just to get my commissions and other quests done and use all my stamina and get to bed before 3AM. I can't imagine trying to talk to everybody every day in addition to that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

I already feel pressured just to get my commissions and other quests done and use all my stamina and get to bed before 3AM. I can't imagine trying to talk to everybody every day in addition to that.

yes, it's literally crazy talk

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Opportunistic gifting and making sure to gift on holidays/birtdays is far more efficient than talking. No one got time for socializing

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Talking is very much a waste of time and the idea of wasting 5 skill points to get 2 points instead of 1 is borderline offensive in Portia. Is the social tree the same bad in Sandrock so far?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's barely hashed out at this point in EA and you'll run out of things to put points in pretty fast.

The pottery lady had what seemed like a repeatable quest that would have been a nice way to farm rep but two weeks into it she feels bad and decides to let you off the hook (cmon lady, it's only 4 clay not a big deal).

I see there's a 'network' linking characters to their family and other friends and assume you can indirectly build rep by chumming it up with one of them.

Rocky's wife seems to be some kind of recluse as she never leaves her house and I didn't even know Rocky was married until I did a commission for his wife lol.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FrickenMoron posted:

Talking is very much a waste of time and the idea of wasting 5 skill points to get 2 points instead of 1 is borderline offensive in Portia. Is the social tree the same bad in Sandrock so far?

I don't know, how do you feel about 10% more social XP? Ok, well then how about 20%?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Panfilo posted:

It's barely hashed out at this point in EA and you'll run out of things to put points in pretty fast.

The pottery lady had what seemed like a repeatable quest that would have been a nice way to farm rep but two weeks into it she feels bad and decides to let you off the hook (cmon lady, it's only 4 clay not a big deal).

I see there's a 'network' linking characters to their family and other friends and assume you can indirectly build rep by chumming it up with one of them.

Rocky's wife seems to be some kind of recluse as she never leaves her house and I didn't even know Rocky was married until I did a commission for his wife lol.

I hope she never leaves the house and she's wearing a respirator when you go in there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The actual answer to social interactions in Portia is to carry around roses and other gifts and just give those out on holidays. If you bump into someone, chat, but otherwise there is no reason to try to grind out relationships by talking to everyone daily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Same with Arvio, he has a short run of delivery tasks. I was looking forward to them but they ran out shortly. I've failed two other characters' part time jobs, get a disappointing chat after, still curious if I get another chance at em eventually. I'd always rather have more things to do that I can't get to yet than have awkward moments where I'm out of stamina, out of chores, out of quests. Considering how fast I've been advancing through stuff and am only a month or so in, have had quite a few days that even if I had the time going normal speed instead of half, I'd still have nothing to do by 17:00 or even before noon on some days where my stamina was just going to scrap or something that drains it all instantly. I've tried switching back to normal time, but since you get penalized for story events, the pacing just meant frantic stamina burnoffs sometimes if there were more than 1 event that drains 1-2 hours to punish you.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
The horse is a bit annoying to mount and dismount, but its way faster than on foot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ran into a nasty bug in Sandrock where the music gets all warbly and distorted and the game slows to a crawl before crashing. I thought it was my poor old PC at first but there's a thread in the steam forums with a few people having the same issue. Might set the game down for a bit and wait for a patch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I usually max out that perk in Portia. Doubling the amount of relationship points you get is fairly significant, especially in the first year when getting gifts for everyone is expensive, but you walk past more than half the town every day. There's another one that gives bonus points for gifts, and I usually put a few points in that too, but I only max it out if I'm trying to befriend one of the difficult NPCs like Ginger. Respeccing is cheap and easy, so I use it a fair bit mid-game on.

In portia, all mining and wood-cutting actions are based on attack damage, so that one low-level perk that increase attack damage is actually one of the best perks possible, because it lets you work faster and more efficiently. It's a noticeable boost to how much you get done each day, and also a decent xp boost because you do so much more stuff.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I've just recently tried to get back into Portia on my PS5 since my daughter wanted to play it together with me. What are the basic Do's and Dont's in the early game?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

I've just recently tried to get back into Portia on my PS5 since my daughter wanted to play it together with me. What are the basic Do's and Dont's in the early game?

Fix up your house ASAP. Similarly, stuff you put in your house is a huge part of your stats. It's pretty much always worth putting furniture, etc down in your house. Even if you are at the stat cap, the cap increases with every housing upgrade so it'll be useful eventually.

The two main ways you make money are fishing and doing the daily construction quests. Nothing else comes close. You need multiple furnaces, 4-6. To get enough ore to fuel the furnaces, you should focus on just mining in the mines, the artifacts aren't helpful early game and you don't get anything from most of them anyways. You can exchange stone for wood or vice-versa from the same place where you upgrade your workbench - it's a semi-hidden building right beside where you get your daily quests. On one side is the mayor and on the other is Gus's shop where you upgrade your workbench and exchange stone for wood.

Farming and animal raising are not profitable. If you avoid losing money on it, that's a win. On the other hand, apple trees are amazing and provide a lot of extra stamina from apple slices from mid-game on.

Other than that, do whatever. It's a very relaxed game, and except for a few story missions, there's not even a soft time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Your storage boxes can all be named. You can also access all your storage boxes from whichever one your using, so getting an organized storage setup with boxes for different kinds of items (ie a metal ores box, a metal products box, a 'stuff I get from trees' box, an artifact and machines box) can help you keep everything straight. Also the sort all button automatically moves items in your inventory into a storage box if it already has one of those items in it. So if you mine a bunch of copper and put it in a box then the next time you have copper in your inventory you can press "sort all" and automatically put it in the box