Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The one gripe I have is what is the point of dating someone in the Civil Corps if I can't smooch them while we are in the ruins together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There's also a character that straight up without warning fucks off outta the game if you marry them. Just leaves you a vague letter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rynoto posted:

They're apparently a reference to Calabash Brothers which should help explain it.

I love how "reference" in a piece of media from a country with IP laws means "a vague homage or quote," whereas in China it just means "literally lift characters from the thing"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Spudd posted:

I believe it's the fighting ruins, not the digging ruins that drop springs iirc.
No you can get them from the dots in the regular ruins. I know for sure you can in the one behind the civil corps.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who's the best person to marry? Are there any gameplay effects depending on who your spouse is, or are they all the same?

At first I was thinking of marrying Ginger because I thought her umbrella hat was cute, but I did some research and apparently it's very hard to romance her and after you do she dies. Is this true? It's a little hard to find info on this game.

Now I kind of want to marry Phyllis because she seems really cool, also has a cute hat, and I respect how dedicated she is to her job, is she a good choice? Nothing horrible happens to her after you marry her, right? :ohdear:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love how "reference" in a piece of media from a country with IP laws means "a vague homage or quote," whereas in China it just means "literally lift characters from the thing"

to be fair, i think it's a pretty good reference in that it's not 100% a direct lift but they put in a lot of little and obvious homages that show that they enjoy it enough to dedicate like 7 townsfolk to it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Disappointing Pie posted:

Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

you can occasionally find them digging in the 2nd abandoned ruin, but you'll get a lot more fighting in the first Hazardous Ruin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who's the best person to marry? Are there any gameplay effects depending on who your spouse is, or are they all the same?

At first I was thinking of marrying Ginger because I thought her umbrella hat was cute, but I did some research and apparently it's very hard to romance her and after you do she dies. Is this true? It's a little hard to find info on this game.

Now I kind of want to marry Phyllis because she seems really cool, also has a cute hat, and I respect how dedicated she is to her job, is she a good choice? Nothing horrible happens to her after you marry her, right? :ohdear:

I don't think she actually dies. There's a mission where she gets seriously ill and you need to gather cactus fruit to cure her but I don't think she dies if you take too long. The rumor started because the mayor had some lines in the game files mentioning it but it's not in the actual game play. .

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

Abandoned Ruins #2 has springs. I got a gently caress ton from there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Panfilo posted:

I don't think she actually dies. There's a mission where she gets seriously ill and you need to gather cactus fruit to cure her but I don't think she dies if you take too long. The rumor started because the mayor had some lines in the game files mentioning it but it's not in the actual game play. .

Thanks for letting me know! Still think I'm going to stick with Phyllis now though.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Some partners are straight up better than others, someone mentioned that there are radially different rewards for building relationships and it's the same for marriages. Some partners will help out around the farm (useful!) and some will make it so that civil commissions take less time to complete (less useful!) so if you're into Power Gaming it's worth it to take a look.

Fwiw the nurse lady's bonus is 40% off acupuncture so balance that on how much you care about big honkers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They weren't able to finish all the voices in the game but their jiggle physics were on point, evidently. Whenever you switch camera poses Phyllis does a little juggle in a particular region which is so weird.

Interestingly, in an earlier alpha of the game Nora had a variant of Phyllis' outfit, down to the boob window dress. They decided a sexy nurse would be more appropriate than a sexy nun (though Nora still wears the sexy nun costume during the marriage cutscene when she's playing the organ).

I think Ginger is just faking illness for attention. Either that or she's a vampire. And Aadit is definitely some kind of John Wick type dude which explains his events.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Fwiw the nurse lady's bonus is 40% off acupuncture so balance that on how much you care about big honkers.

With jiggle physics, don't forget that

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When people first mentioned Russo is this badass I got him mixed up with Isaac and was disappointed there wasn't a boss fight at the end of the martial arts tournament where Isaac this Pai Mei martial arts badass.

"Life is time, and your time is UP YATATATATATATATATATATATA! "

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I bet very poorly the first year Russo was in the MA tourney. I assumed Paulie would wipe the floor with him, didn’t watch, then assumed that of course Arlo would take him out, and watched as Russo turned out to be Level 50 and thrash the poo poo out of him.

Also, the dating options are way better if you go after women. The guys in the game are either underwritten or uninteresting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game is so loving chill that it doesn't require power gaming.

Just marry whoever you think looks the best.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

papa bear....

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe not Papa Bear tho :yikes:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:qq: Aw aw aw...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ruins #2 has them.

They also drop from some mobs in the Hazardous Ruins.

Edit: Beaten. Sorry. Left browser open all day.

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's also a character that straight up without warning fucks off outta the game if you marry them. Just leaves you a vague letter.

Who's that (in spoiler tags)?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 30, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zesty posted:

Who's that (in spoiler tags)?

Aadit, the tree farm pacifist guy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:wtc:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
marry anyone, except Tody because ew

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Psst

hey

have you heard the story about the dancing robot

Tired Moritz posted:

Counterpoint: He'll sabotage the harbor to protect his fishing livelihood. That's some nice praxis for ya.

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alright. I'll ask. What's Praxis?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Putting your beliefs into action!

My praxis is cheat engineing myself a hundred thousand dollars because they nerfed fish and I deserve it.

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 30, 2019

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I enjoy fishing in this game, was able to unlock the final fishing rod about 2 weeks after the museum opened. I think I'm at a part of the game now where I need to go relic hunting in digs and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I really wish they could just see what I had in my chests instead of me needing to have them in my inventory.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tired Moritz posted:

Who wouldn't want to be the fishmonger's wife though?

People have warned against marrying Sophie because it means you have to hear her irritating upspeak all the time.

Lee going on about the Dancing Robot is funny because of the dismissive tone he takes at the end. :smug: "Yeah it shot rays of its eyes and hurt a bunch of people. It's a sad story. Bunch of sinners, hope they're burning in hell. Anyway, if you find any irreplaceable technology be sure to give it to me so I can destroy it and give you a box of dirt in exchange. "

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Spudd posted:

I enjoy fishing in this game, was able to unlock the final fishing rod about 2 weeks after the museum opened. I think I'm at a part of the game now where I need to go relic hunting in digs and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I really wish they could just see what I had in my chests instead of me needing to have them in my inventory.

One of the rewards you get is the same combiner machine they have in the research center. It does take 3 hours vs research center finishing instantly, but it automatically grabs from all your boxes inventory so it's much easier.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

One of the rewards you get is the same combiner machine they have in the research center. It does take 3 hours vs research center finishing instantly, but it automatically grabs from all your boxes inventory so it's much easier.

Oh gently caress yeah that sounds amazing, thank you! :getin:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Do people really play with the voices on? The volume and recording quality was so inconsistent I turned them off after 5 minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's getting better. 3 characters and 2 new lady player voices were added in the last patch.

I saw a complaint that Remington's voice was too black but Petra had a nice "normal" voice. :what: People are the worst.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 30, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vhak lord of hate posted:

My praxis is cheat engineing myself a hundred thousand dollars because they nerfed fish and I deserve it.

But money isn't hard to come by in this game?

I mean, I'm only mid-way through Fall but I've yet to have any money troubles.

Especially with the big boosts from the monthly rankings.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Some of the later land purchases are six-figure expenditures though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of the later land purchases are six-figure expenditures though.

So? I'm in no rush to get them. I haven't even outgrown the 15k purchase.

There are also a gently caress ton of main story quests that give 10k gold.

If you're trying to speed rush everything in this game, then yeah, I can see running out of money. Taking it chill hasn't lead me into any problems yet.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hi i saw this thread and saw the pictures and now the only thing i can ask is

Is this like Fantasy Life???? Will this scratch that Fantasy Life 2 itch ive hard for years now?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, Remmington? The guy who sounds like he pisses Earl Grey and craps Crumpets?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i wish there was a button that made the male pc not look like an absolute dingus

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i wish there was a button that made the male pc not look like an absolute dingus

There is. It’s called “making a female pc”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, Remmington? The guy who sounds like he pisses Earl Grey and craps Crumpets?

No the other one. Honestly he sounds more like Johnny Bravo to me than a stereotypical black guy. Arlo is the one with the stuffy British accent. Sam has an actual normal sounding voice but her face being stuck in that smug DreamWorks facial expression annoys me.

Do we ever find out the deal with Mysterious Man? Who is he really?