Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Yinlock posted:

i wish there was a button that made the male pc not look like an absolute dingus

i like the aesthetic of the guy pc, it's like what if jimmy neutron was about farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mordiceius posted:

There are a surprising amount of people that want Higgins to be able to be romanced. They get off on the enemy to lover dynamic and they're all loving crazy.

I would be okay with this because it would mean A) you could give gifts to Higgins and B) you could thus give literal poo poo to Higgins. :getin:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kyrosiris posted:

I would be okay with this because it would mean A) you could give gifts to Higgins and B) you could thus give literal poo poo to Higgins. :getin:

I suppose we'll just have to be happy that you can beat the poo poo out of him daily.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Drakenel posted:

I suppose we'll just have to be happy that you can beat the poo poo out of him daily.

True. "Punch Higgins in his face" and "Hand poo poo to Lee" are basically penciled into my agenda daily.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

There are a surprising amount of people that want Higgins to be able to be romanced. They get off on the enemy to lover dynamic and they're all loving crazy.

Oh can you not date him? I was going to do it and then dead branch him and post the results in the thread

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dirk the Average posted:

As you do more commissions, that fixes itself. Try to plug away at one commission a day if you can.

You really are limited to one, right, or did (gently caress) Higgins open the tap :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh can you not date him? I was going to do it and then dead branch him and post the results in the thread

On the screen where you can see your relationships with other villagers, you can date people with hearts. People with stars are not datable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

On the screen where you can see your relationships with other villagers, you can date people with hearts. People with stars are not datable.

From the wiki:

Bachelors:

Aadit
Albert
Antoine
Arlo
Django
Erwa
Gust
Liuwa
Mint
Oaks
Paulie
Qiwa
Remington
Sanwa
Siwa
Tody
Wuwa
Xu

Bachelorettes:

Alice
Emily
Ginger
Lucy
Merlin
Mei
Nora
Petra
Phyllis
Sam
Sonia

And yes, they're all bisexual.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ciaphas posted:

You really are limited to one, right, or did (gently caress) Higgins open the tap :v:

This isn't well explained, but you can have one "normal" commission each day. Story commissions (the ones you get a quest for) are independent of that entirely. You can have one story commission at a time, but can, for instance, turn in all 5 transports in one day by going back and grabbing the commission 5 times.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are they still patching big issues post-release or is this game more or less complete and worth getting now

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I wanted to scratch the farming sim itch, but I saw some of this game on a stream and the voice acting made me physically unwell. Are the subtitles decent so I could at least switch it to French or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I turned voices off right at the outset and have been fine, yes. It's not important.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verviticus posted:

are they still patching big issues post-release or is this game more or less complete and worth getting now

The game is fully featured and pretty much bug free (at least so far as I've seen). They are still planning on adding more content to the game over time, but that's just a bonus. If you want to wait until they stop adding content all together, you may be waiting years.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dirk the Average posted:

As you do more commissions, that fixes itself. Try to plug away at one commission a day if you can.

Wait, you can do more than one a day now? Wasn't like that in Early access.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone post some character/workshop pictures!

I'm currently mid-Fall. Just finished the land run. Repaired the lift, but haven't fixed the pipe yet.

I've finished with the main plot, I'm just doing side plots and debating who to woo now.

I... might be going overboard with setting up my workshop

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, you can do more than one a day now? Wasn't like that in Early access.

You can always do one normal commission every day (from the group of four that show up at ~8am and one is taken by Higgins at ~8:30am)

You can also, in addition to the normal commission, accept one story commission (one for which you have a quest, like the transports, or bridges, or whatever) at a time, and you can turn in multiple story commissions in one day. This means that you can turn in all 5 transports in one day so long as you accept each one individually, turn it in, then go grab the next one and repeat the process.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If Higgins is a girl, I doubt you guys would be kinkshaming the rival fuckers

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was bummed when i just got my civil furnace and realized it needs more wood, holy god im tired of chopping trees and now these take double

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dirk the Average posted:

You can always do one normal commission every day (from the group of four that show up at ~8am and one is taken by Higgins at ~8:30am)

You can also, in addition to the normal commission, accept one story commission (one for which you have a quest, like the transports, or bridges, or whatever) at a time, and you can turn in multiple story commissions in one day. This means that you can turn in all 5 transports in one day so long as you accept each one individually, turn it in, then go grab the next one and repeat the process.

Oh, so same as before then. :mediocre:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

i was bummed when i just got my civil furnace and realized it needs more wood, holy god im tired of chopping trees and now these take double

Christ I was gonna ask about this hoping I'd get a better fuel source soon

Almost feels grindier than Graveyard Keeper (which I also loved, don't get me wrong, but eesh)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

queeb posted:

You know all that stone you got from the ruins?

You can trade 999 of it to the construction crew for 999 wood once a day.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what the gently caress where are they

edit: found it, holy poo poo thats a game changer. the A&G construction dudes.

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You may also notice it gets less annoying once you get an iron axe, too, and trees go down quick.

Plus the double fuel thing is kind of misleading. 1 wood provides fuel for one hour in both furnaces, and the civil furnace is faster (e.g. copper bar takes 2.5 hrs in the stone furnace but only 2 in the civil furnace, or similar numbers).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the better furnaces are just able to hold more fuel at a time, which means less manual restocking. they're more efficient overall and straight up better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Once you get the tree farm set up it becomes a non-issue really. Same with getting the mine going, you get daily deliveries of raw materials. Though by that point, you can already gather them up so effortlessly that its almost not even needed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone else's game keep forgetting their options when they exit? Keeps turning Map Rotate back on for me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So how do I actually get the tree farm? The game tells me that Sanwa (or whichever of them) has a quest for me, but the guy hangs out all day long on the far side of the gates, where I can't get to because the farm is still "under maintenance".

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think you can actually enter the tree farm once the quest to help him is available, just walk up to the gates. Unless I'm remembering wrong. Otherwise, wait until he heads home for the evening.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I got the tree farm up and running but where / how for the mine?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Once you get to the desert. You'll get mail about it asking you to build stuff to make it work.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fhqwhgads posted:

As Kyrosiris said, and be prepard, you need Tempering Liquid for clay making (and a bit of hardned glass) to get to the desert.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

haldolium posted:

As Kyrosiris said, and be prepard, you need Tempering Liquid for clay making (and a bit of hardned glass) to get to the desert.

I just got to this point and trying to fulfill as many of the contracts as I can for it is the hardest I've scrambled so far for materials.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
One of the first things I realised, in difference to Stardew Valley, is the 3d environment, lacking the top-down view is a different kind of immersion. I'm far happier to potter about because it feels more like an immersive world, rather than something to be optimised in a utilitarian method. It's about your feel in the game. That being said, it's still far too easy to get into a routine of optimisation, however un-optimised it may be. Like I'll focus less on the things that don't have immediate bumps to my gols, resources, etc. I really need to relax more into it. Instead of day after day of felling trees and repeatedly going to the mines I need to take a more laissez faire attitude. Just chill, because this can be a top chill game with determined routine. I imagine it's even more so if you just don't give a gently caress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zerilan posted:

I just got to this point and trying to fulfill as many of the contracts as I can for it is the hardest I've scrambled so far for materials.

I remember back in the day the only reliable way to get Tempering Liquid was from a couple of bosses in the ruins and it was a bear to get enough. But these days it comes as a reward for doing well during the item inspections on the weekends, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Remember you can reposition your house on your lot for free. Nice to know when you upgrade it and accidentally put the entrance in a wonky spot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mrenda posted:

One of the first things I realised, in difference to Stardew Valley, is the 3d environment, lacking the top-down view is a different kind of immersion. I'm far happier to potter about because it feels more like an immersive world, rather than something to be optimised in a utilitarian method. It's about your feel in the game. That being said, it's still far too easy to get into a routine of optimisation, however un-optimised it may be. Like I'll focus less on the things that don't have immediate bumps to my gols, resources, etc. I really need to relax more into it. Instead of day after day of felling trees and repeatedly going to the mines I need to take a more laissez faire attitude. Just chill, because this can be a top chill game with determined routine. I imagine it's even more so if you just don't give a gently caress.

I need to work on chilling the hell out in general, let alone just in video games, yeah :v:

you really do need to fell a lot of trees though, my god

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I remember back in the day the only reliable way to get Tempering Liquid was from a couple of bosses in the ruins and it was a bear to get enough. But these days it comes as a reward for doing well during the item inspections on the weekends, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

I "prefer" the ruins, took me around 4 runs (floor 1+2 twice) to get around 17 or 20, which was half a day of work. I keep forgetting about the inspection, though I don't like that minigame that much either. Some errors are extremely obscure.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Ugh, I just spruced up my house and now some homeless person is hanging around my property!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

haldolium posted:

I "prefer" the ruins, took me around 4 runs (floor 1+2 twice) to get around 17 or 20, which was half a day of work. I keep forgetting about the inspection, though I don't like that minigame that much either. Some errors are extremely obscure.

If you have an excess of Eye Glass you can just make the Magnifying Glass. If you have some of those and hit the middle mouse button while inspecting, it'll light up the error on the item. I find it pretty much mandatory later on, especially on errors that are only really visible if you look at them from a very specific angle.

Using them doesn't lower the rating or reward you get either, so it's a decent way to ace the harder inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah some of those inspections are challenging, particularly for the ones that are naturally lumpy or asymmetrical.