Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well I'm very late to the party, got Portia in the sale and hoo boy that's stardew valley all over again - so, eating all my free time because I *need* to build more, more, more and make more and more money.

So how do I make money early on? Commissions are cool but it usually takes 2-3 days to finish one (I'm at 3 stone furnaces, 1 cutter, 1 grinder after about 1 week?) unless I luck out and already have some of the needed stuff done, and just upgrading one tool to bronze will basically cost me more than half my cash since I have to buy the upgrade kit

any other starting out tips guys? While this is even more relaxing and chill than Stardew Valley, the grind seems to be a bit tougher here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eeepies posted:

Furnaces, i think i had like 10 at one point in the mid game, keep making more of them.
Metal bars are your biggest bottleneck so mining and refining are the 2 parts you want to constantly be doing, even if there's no demand currently.

Thanks will do.

Is there a point where you should stop amassing raw materials / going for the next tier of machinery / expanding your workshop with all the stuff you make vs. just selling it? Now that I think about it, can you actually sell stuff? I have seen a tab when going to shops that looks like "sell" but it always appears empty, I couldn't sell anything. Maybe it's too early, I still have to do the introductory quests but I'm not the biggest fan of social intearctions in this kind of game, I just want to make MOAR STUFF.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Canuckistan posted:

Fishing can be a major source of cash. Make sure you save enough money to get some caterpillars from the farm in time for the fishing event in the first month. Selling stone stools is also an excellent way to get ahead. Protip - don't waste your time chopping trees. Focus on mining in the ruins, and in the A&G shop you can trade wood for stone (and vice versa) 1:1.

fishing location spoiler - fishing down at the waterfall has a few fish worth 5000 and most worth 30 - 350. They're tough to catch with the beginner pole, but it's very possible and a great way to get a jump on the game.

that's nice to know! Except I haven't even managed to make the beginner fishing rod, I've been kicking every tree I find but no wild cocoons or whatever it is that I need to make a fishing rod. Boy they really neglected the tutorial/new player guidance huh?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coming back to say that I really like Portia, better than stardew valley even (at least long term - I love how it has this feeling of "building up" the city that Stardew doesn't have, except the collectathon for the CC which is kinda bad imo), but BY GOD it's grindy. I've made a bunch of extra crafting machines because the quests are getting pretty intense material requirements, but a full day of mining for copper/tin gives me just enough ore to last a couple days at this insane pace, and I'm still always without bronze bars. I'd have to spend 1 in 3 days in the mines which is honestly quite boring, is there some other way to get ores/metals in bulk?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rynoto posted:

Dana's Mining Company level 5 is your savior. Also a great source of power cells.

E: Actually considering you're talking about Bronze I'll assume you're earlier in the game so I should mention that Attack helps you get more ores per swing and scales pretty dramatically. Grabbing the perks for extra attack, eating food, attack accessories, and making sure you have maxed out attack furniture will let you collect thousands of ore per day.

Yep I'm still pretty early, I have to fix the Bassanio lift now, trying to scrounge up enough ironwood to make planks. I didn't realize that +attack gives more ores, I thought it was only based on the pickaxe material! That's nice to know, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LLSix posted:

As other people have pointed out, boosting your attack helps. So does having the various mining boosting skills in the middle skill tree. Even more important than those, there's an attack boosting skill in the left hand combat tree. You really want that talent maxed out for pretty much all builds. I also recommend you max out the xp boosting talent too, but that's more of a personal preference thing. XP booster talents in most games are usually trap options, but in Portia, you need to take something from that tier anyways, and there's more than enough levels/xp in the game for them to pay for themselves.

All that said, it is a grindy game. I usually have 4+ furnaces running at full tilt at all times.

Makes sense, thanks. I have 6 stone furnaces, 2 civil furnaces, 2 grinders, 2 civil cutters, 1 industrial cutter and 1 basic skiver right now, and about half the furnaces are making bronze bars non-stop because it seems everything at this stage needs a million bronze bars/pipes/plates, with the rest I'm slowly building up a stock of iron, bricks and charcoal.

My bottleneck starts being big trees now, I cleaned up around my house and they respawn fairly slowly, to get more ironwood I have to travel all over and lose a lot of time. I guess I should try to fix the tree farm ASAP