Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Always steal from higgins. Even when you outrank him every season from the first spring onwards. Petty snatching that one copper bar makes it all worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There is nothing missable insofar as content. During the storyline you can be in a bit of a race against the other workshop (Higgins) in picking up and completing the contracts but those only give more money and rep and you're guaranteed to do at least one of each.

General starting out tips:
Start expanding throughput early. Build a dozen or so of the first furnaces and keep them constantly churning out metals.
Never just have one of a secondary product machine - 2-3 of each is good though some you'll want more.
Upgrade your house with furniture asap especially stamina and attack ones.
Get 5/5 Intensive training, 4/4 strike, 2/2 Mastery of Pickaxe & Axe in that order first. IT gives bonus xp, Strike increases ALL damage, not just weapons so pickaxes and axes also do more per swing and take less overall to save stamina. The last two are pure 50% reduced stam use.
The highest ranked workshop each month gets a special bonus prize and can be difficult the first month to achieve unless you're diligent so this is really a reiteration of more throughput. Always have a surplus of bars, at least, already sitting around and ready for further refining.
Get food! The cheapest food option from the bar is a good bit of extra stam regen per day for pennies.
Wear +attack items. Same principle as strike from earlier. Umbrella, Crystal Necklace, and Shell Necklace are all available to be crafted from the beginning table.
Turn in data discs from spelunking to the researchers! They're important for new stuff and one of the only time gates.
Upgrade tools ASAP. The increased stam cost is easily offset by the fewer swings.

E: Added more stuff. Also this can all be ignored if you don't care about the (minor) rewards from being top ranked. This is purely to spite higgins and see his smug dumb face be salty.
E2: Also, if you want the event stuff the skill 'Custom Discount' also affects the prices for them with 50% off at 4/4. Just be careful as acupuncture drastically increases in price each time you do it and seems to have no cap.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Panfilo posted:

The Hulu brothers all look like they hatched out of the same cabbage patch.

They're apparently a reference to Calabash Brothers which should help explain it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I can't find anything that corroborates this, but when putting an item in your house for the stat bonus only one of the item counts? I made like 10 stone tables and I did not get +70 Stamina. But I noticed some items let you double up, and other items gave you like the full bonus for one, and only a few extra points for an additional. I can't pin down the mechanics and it's bugging me.

They stack up to a cap based on house level. You can check the paper next to the door and it will tell you the current and cap.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's used for daily delivered items later on once you've done an optional quest.
The tree farm quest will deliver wood daily to it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

Wouldn't it be best to go for 2/2 Mastery of Pickaxe/Axe first before picking IT? -50% reduced stamina translates into +100% experience from mining/chopping (since you get to make twice as many swings), which is where most of your XP in the first month comes from anyway, -and- doubles your materials gain.

IT is first purely because of Strike. The +50% damage on top of +attack accessories means you can break bigger rocks/trees with lower level tools.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Basic furnaces are so cheap and cover the materials you always need more of that it becomes worth keeping a dozen around until you're rolling in enough materials to make infinite civils/industrials.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

I’m curious about this too.

At least this one probably won’t have debilitating button-mashing mini-games?

Never played Fantasy Life but there isn't any real button-mashing at least! There are some mini-games at both the bar and for holidays but all are pretty easy-going.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Perestroika posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo that's such a massive QoL improvement. The game ought to shout this at you from every rooftop for the first couple hours of playtime.

It was only added a few patches ago, too! Along with the linked chests.

Mordiceius posted:

I have my planters right out in front of my house so I remember to fertilize daily.

Don't know if you know this but fertilizer isn't required for growth. It's only a bonus.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah for discs as long as you always have research cooking you'll never need to spend extras for rushing. If you get behind by a few weeks I could see it being a problem though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The church isn't necessarily anti-research and technology - they're just afraid of the weapons that led to the annihilation of the former society. The entire reason they want your discs is to try and make sure no one ever rediscovers the technology required to build automatons and their weapons. It's why they're totally chill with you using the found research to build things and make people's lives better but also super wary when you start using the tech for fighting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Roses. Everyone except Ginger and the animals love them. They're a limited buy item though.

The gems are pretty universal too but can be a challenge to amass.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah it's not like early-ish beta where you were pretty much forced to spec into extra drops. Dungeons are packed with loot now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah getting to rank 1 can be a bit rough first time along.

making GBS threads on higgins in spring 1 is stupidly satisfying though if you do another save.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sydin posted:

Does your child actually grow up or do anything or is it just a lump that sits in a crib for all eternity like most games in the genre?

Currently doesn't grow at all. It's been talked about before as a maybe feature though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You don't even have to pay the discs for rushing if you want to beat higgins in spring. Just keeping them always running is enough.

Getting number one in spring is just making sure you have massive surpluses of materials to be able to do all of the story commissions asap before higgins can pick them up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Portia was never supposed to be as big as it became and all the extra stuff they crammed in was because it blew up in popularity. Have pretty high hopes for Sandrock.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
One of the best things MtaP did, economy-wise, is make it well worth it to just rely on other villagers for material once you're established. You can still turn a large profit even while paying for large deliveries and regular shopping trips leaving you time for treasure hunting / tracking down villagers / doing whatever.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
An important note for new players: Save at least one pair of same king fish once you get them. Once you get a fish diplay you can breed them for the low low cost of dough and with a simple trick (add fish -> 999 food in -> add fish -> 999 food in) can selfsustain for hundreds of days. The type of king fish doesn't matter as each take 8 days to spawn a new one which sells for 5,000 gols. Filling your house and any other free space with tanks is an easy way to make millions of gols within a single season.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Coming back to say that I really like Portia, better than stardew valley even (at least long term - I love how it has this feeling of "building up" the city that Stardew doesn't have, except the collectathon for the CC which is kinda bad imo), but BY GOD it's grindy. I've made a bunch of extra crafting machines because the quests are getting pretty intense material requirements, but a full day of mining for copper/tin gives me just enough ore to last a couple days at this insane pace, and I'm still always without bronze bars. I'd have to spend 1 in 3 days in the mines which is honestly quite boring, is there some other way to get ores/metals in bulk?

Dana's Mining Company level 5 is your savior. Also a great source of power cells.

E: Actually considering you're talking about Bronze I'll assume you're earlier in the game so I should mention that Attack helps you get more ores per swing and scales pretty dramatically. Grabbing the perks for extra attack, eating food, attack accessories, and making sure you have maxed out attack furniture will let you collect thousands of ore per day.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 9, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

LLSix posted:

All that said, it is a grindy game. I usually have 4+ furnaces running at full tilt at all times.

4 :allears:

My last playthrough pre-factory tier had a good 20 Industrials and 4 Electricals. And a good half of those were always making Charcoal for Carbon Steel which you need mountains of if you plan to beat Higgins with the first month or two.

You really want as much throughput as possible.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 10, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only food you really need is a drying rack to make dried apple slices from aroma apples. Each slice is 10% max sp and you get 5 per apple.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Opportunistic gifting and making sure to gift on holidays/birtdays is far more efficient than talking. No one got time for socializing

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Kynseed sounded promising, in that you could have children who grew up and eventually took over when you "retired" but I hear it is very rudimentary.

Is it too much to ask for a Rogue Legacy farm sim where I have a bloated family cemetery out back full of dweeby ancestors that didn't even know how to min/max their crops?

Kynseed is an absolute disappointment and the legacy system is completely useless, yeah. All it has going for it is the pretty aesthetics.

+1 though on eagerly awaiting the 1.0 release of Sandrock.

For actual GoodGames in the genre I've really been enjoying Dinkum still as properly building out the town is great fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

portia is a fun time waster but idk why it needed six identical short round men and an insanely big but empty map

Seven and they're a cultural reference. The map is weirdly big though, yeah.

Calabash Brothers

I've been really enjoying Sandrock so far and besides a few bits of polish there really isn't much needed for that release date that isn't multiplayer.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

The actual romance elements is very take or leave but strategically befriending the townsfolk to get discounts at their shops and extra friendship points with their friends and family to get discounts at their shops is an important part of the game imo.

By far the best part of the friendship system and one more games need to steal.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Zesty posted:

I played the first week of Sandrock. Game is doing a whole lot of things really well. Optimistic.

It's real good so far and was legitimately hard to put down to wait for release.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Thank you for reminding me about this! Now I'm also excited

Edit: do we have an exact time?

Not that I have seen.

After playing through a build earlier this year I'm extremely looking forward to the final release.

E: Beaten, and with times! Hell yeah.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Highly enjoying the full release quality so far. Started a new game so haven't gotten to all the new stuff yet but it feels significantly more polished. They've come so far since Portia's EA and looking forwards to what they continue to add, here.

My biggest thing to stress for people picking this up would be Food. The restaurant offers two cheap meals every day and for about the same cost as a single beginner commission you can full heal your energy. Lets you rapidly advance.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 3, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sloober posted:

Jumped into the full game mostly blind, since I only did early access for a little bit, and it's nice to see my habit from Portia of Never Stop Producing is still effective. I think my only complaint is that some perk effects feel kind of ineffective since so many are just things like "10% chance for X". I am still very much enjoying it though

Yeah, like half the perks are completely underwhelming but at least you aren't forced to max them out before moving onto the next in the tree.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Can buy scrap and discs from the shop right next to the field from the start of the game as well. The discs especially are good to make sure something is always researching.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I started trying this game yesterday. A bit overwhelming, though this is likely because I have literally zero experience playing this genre of games (like Stardew or any sort of farming or Animal Crossing-like game). I feel like item management is definitely going to be A Thing, since I quickly filled my inventory with random poo poo just from walking around hitting random stuff with my axe and pickaxe. I think I saw someone else mention making a bunch of boxes to use for storage, so that definitely sounds like it'll help a bunch. Can you use stuff in storage when crafting, or do you need to manually withdraw it first?

Everything in storage is considered to be in your inventory except tools, bait, and food. You also have to have an item on you to sell it at a shop and gift it.

You can craft, complete commissions, do requests, and operate machines just fine with everything else in chests. All chests are also linked to each other and can be cycled through from any one chest.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, that's great to hear and will definitely simplify things greatly.

It's by far the best QoL setup for storage management you can get in these types of games. Click auto sort and go.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This very early quest is asking me to make a crane. Where do I get "bearings" (and the mechanical scrap that allows me to produce them)? Previously it was mentioned that I'd have access to some place for 7 days, and I went to what I thought was the place in question and some guy said something about wild robots and wouldn't let me in.

I'm absolutely missing something very obvious here, but I don't know what.

You're in the right place, just wrong side. Go to the right side of that building and through THAT gate and mine the scrap. You'll get mechanical scrap that has a chance of recycling into bearings.

Wild robot gate is later.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any reason for me to worry about being "slow"? I read online that you can change the game speed, so I'm thinking about doing that at least until I get my bearings. It seems like the crane itself doesn't have a time limit, but the calendar still has events happening on specific dates.

No. The time limits are very generous when they even exist. You can freely change your game speed from 0.6 to 3.0 (lower is slower) so it's worth changing depending on what you're doing. The events are for equipment and cosmetics and fun.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

People on the discord love posting their husbands/wifes and he's definitely a cool guy. Logan&Fang are the most popular with the ladies by a mile, followed by Owen.

Logan is hot.

The reporter man just sighs because he knows it's true.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
All the weapons are fine. The top left branch of the tree with Break +1 and Crit Chance +5% is very strong though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
GSword's spin is so goofy that I can't give it up. Helps it has good AoE.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
My own personal thing was anytime there was scrap/ore overflow another recycler/smelter would be added to the pile. Really is worth having a bunch of both running at all times. Can usually live with 3-4 of each of the other machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't completed that quest, so I'm wondering what the heck Rocky mailed me about. I should see if there's a way to view old letters.

There's a tab on the top of the mailbox screen to show read letters.