Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Am I missing something about the Hazardous Ruins in the desert, because aside from getting the sword on the first level, the loot seems to be largely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, I was starting to think I'd seen all the equipment and the game just expected me to upgrade stuff I already had with Carol.

Also lol:
I told Arlo to break up with Nora, and the next day I found them at the Duck Pond not looking at each other

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I finally got enough land to upgrade my house without having to get rid of my barn, now I can finally get married and live happily ever after with Aadit the chill rear end hippie from the tree farm and we'll never have problems again.

If you have Ack feeding your animals, does he just pull from your plant fiber or is he gonna burn through my Aroma Apples and poo poo?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zesty posted:

I have some bad news about Aadit for you.

I know. I was being facetious with the live happily ever after stuff. The game puts nearly thirty eligible characters and I picked the one that fucks off forever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

LegoMan posted:

I think Ginger dies as well

trips on construction material and gets a stake through the heart does she

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It feels like Cotton Llama prices are an exploit because of how profitable they are, but given how expensive land and the third tier homes and assembly platforms are, it also somehow feels completely intentional.

(it also kind of sucks that cotton llamas are so lovely as mounts compared to well trained colorful llamas)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I know everyone's busy playing Trials of Mana in Collection of Mana for Nintendo Switch, or talking about the latest news from e3, but it appears they've put out a performance patch for Xbone and PS4 (with the Switch version coming soon)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dana is such a weird character. She shows up so late in the game and seems to spend all her time at the mines area, a place you're not likely to travel to unless you're expressly going to visit her, she doesn't seem to show up for town events. It doesn't help that every character that shows up after her is a story NPC with no relationship values (though speaking of that: Boy is the endgame full of story NPCs)

The Factory is good, I like being able to just dump my collected materials into its 300 slot material bin and forget about them. Does the Factory pull from Completed Materials, or do I have to move those to its Materials Bin first? Like, if I'm producing a lot of Charcoal and Carbon Steel Bars, will the Carbon Steel Bars pull from the completed Charcoal, or...?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Y'all all talk poo poo about Higgins but dude was prepared to break his own shoulder to save the squad. Can't wait to play the sequel, My Time At Duvos, where you get to chase down your deadbeat hippie husband and explain to him that neither the teddy bear nor the 400 attack power sword is sufficient apology for repeatedly stabbing you in the face, and also him ditching you doesn't count as a Divorce for the achievement either, which, what the gently caress my dude.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Eating at the restaurant is pretty cheap (check the sparkly bread at the counter), especially if you get the Daily Special, you can also find Dried Apple Slices in chests around town. But kloa is right, what you're eventually aiming for is a level 2 Worktable so you can make Drying Racks and start making Dried Apple Slices in mass.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

LLSix posted:

Is there any way to speed up cooking food? Feeding in one ingredient at a time is frustrating when there are quests asking for 8 of the exact same item.

Eventually you'll meet a character who can cook for you instantaneously, but until then it's the stinky "add one ingredient at a time" thing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I don't mind the chicken coop and a few chickens, because it's a steady stream of manure, but the barn and cows/sheep is just too much space for too little payoff.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Endgame stuff:
I was wondering why the sword I got from the Deepest Ruin was so much shittier than the Rogue Knight's Sword, so I looked it up and apparently the console version of the game is bugged and you're not supposed to be able to use the RKS until you hit level 60, which makes way more sense, because getting to level 60 seems like a pretty steep grind.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Finish-Finished the game, complete with [strike]staff[/strike]backer roll. The ending "here is all the stuff you did!" list seems bugged and most of the numbers were off. It said I hadn't caught any King fish, I hadn't turned in any commissions, I hadn't cut down any trees, and had only been down to the tenth floor of the Deepest Dungeon even though I had gotten to 30-something (that one is explainable - I was farming Carbon Fiber from the boss on the 10th Floor because I could clear it in less than 20 seconds). I also assume there was supposed to be music playing during this sequence instead of silence, just like I assume there was supposed to be music playing during every instance of what's her face's songs instead of silence.

Anyway at least if I ever decide to replay this I'll remember to plant two Crystal trees early on and maybe that'll make things run a little more smoothly.

Zesty posted:

New update trying to shill paid DLC crap at you.

you know, i'm pretty tolerant of a lot of this game's issues, but selling paid DLC when so many of the game's other issues are still unaddressed is a little...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

Did they ever make any substantial improvements to the Switch port? I hear it was pretty rough at release.

I think they got the initial load time down to like one minute instead of five minutes, so there's that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly really looking forward to Sandrock, even though I hate desert areas, because I think Portia had a lot of neat ideas for this genre that didn't necessarily work out and I'm hoping they've gained enough experience and feedback to really polish the experience (and maybe have enough money to hire a good localizer to breathe some life into the script). and maybe I won't end up anime marrying the one character who leaves during the storyline

Zesty posted:

May 2021 Dev Update

What do you mean you still haven't finished voice lines for Portia? Isn't Sandrock coming out soonish?

I think the full release for Sandrock is targeting 2022, so I guess they're trying to get Portia to a point where they can say it's finished, which includes dubbing all the new Higgins-friendship content.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

i've been watching a stream of the demo (because lol my laptop could never), and while i really like the character designs this time around, the constant talk about water scarcity is really stressing me out, because i'm apparently the sort of brain broke individual who can be stressed out watching another person play a demo of a video game that uses water scarcity as flavor text

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Sandrock Demo is apparently back on Steam for a limited time

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Is there any sense yet of how far along in early access the game is? If it's at the state Portia is when I bought it: story is largely finished, you can play to the intended end, but it's still missing stuff around the edges like voice acting and all the character events then I'll pick it up. But if it's at the state where the main story is still unfinished and they intend to add in more core mechanics, I might hold off for now.

The official word seems to be that only the first act of the main story is currently implemented, and also as I understand it Marriage and Babbies aren't implemented yet, as well as at least one character, nor the multiplayer mode.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like you picked it up just in time for a new update, they put out this weirdly dramatic trailer a couple days ago teasing an update for the 24th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDkYjNYnSY

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

i hope the console versions launch as 1.0 instead of an early access build that's several updates behind the PC version

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

the guy i anime married in Portia leaves after the main storyline so that's pretty funny and i hope Sandrock has something similar.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

oh it does, and how

thank you pathea for being brave enough to be this funny.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The actual romance elements is very take or leave but strategically befriending the townsfolk to get discounts at their shops and extra friendship points with their friends and family to get discounts at their shops is an important part of the game imo.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Has there been any word on the multiplayer recently? I keep seeing mentions of a sandbox mode which isn’t what I’m looking for. Hoping there’s plans to put in a co-op storymode or something.

they posted this video a month ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9Ykt1az0M

the bad news: they had originally planned a separate storyline for multiplayer mode, but they thought it wasn't good enough and also due to having limited resources they're scrapping the storyline entirely and it's just going to be a sandbox thing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Like they did with Portia....

Anyway kinda sad this is hitting the same day as Star Ocean 2 R now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084600/discussions/0/3883851232914867252/

Some stuff about the console releases: PS5, Xbox, and Switch releases are on November 2, but won't be fully updated to where the PC release is until around Christmas. The PS4 version will be released at a later date. Console multiplayer won't drop until Summer 2024.

Some gameplay limitations in the Xbox One and Switch versions, which I imagine will also apply to the PS4 version if it ever releases:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Are wallpapers actually locked behind DLC or is this just for those specific ones.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

A lot of people like to decorate in these sorts of games, but I do remember a lot of the decorative stuff in Portia being absurdly expensive and only available for the full house upgrade?

Fashion though... fashion is non-negotiable. You can't build this crusty desert town into a thriving city-state if you don't look cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I remember one of the last social skills you could get in Portia was like "you can invite people on Play Dates at a lower friendship level" or something, so I'm personally happy that Sandrock is continuing the tradition of "why is this skill here?"