Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now that you can have kids, what happens to the kids if you get divorced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another thing I figured out the hard way:

Unlock all the 5 disk schematics first. Both the cooking set and blender are useful sooner rather than later.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This game is extremely chill. You can min-max all you want but you really don't need to. I had my first year only with 1 of each tier forge/other machines and was still able to complete daily commissions and get first place half way into the second month.

Game is forgiving in many other ways :
-Items stack to 999
-Dying outside just resets the day and that's the worst possible outcome.
-staying up late doesn't have an adverse effect, so do whatever until 3am every day.
-Most commissions have super generous deadlines.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah it just reloads the save from the beginning of that day. So it kind of sucks if you get killed at like 1am since you have to re do the whole day. But that's the worst possible outcome.

In dungeons, a fixed time passes while inside and you get 3 'lives'. Running out of lives just boots you from the dungeon with a few hours passed. That's not bad at all and combat itself is pretty forgiving.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The character designs are odd that's for sure. I'm half expecting Nigel Thornberry to be among the townspeople. The Hulu brothers all look like they hatched out of the same cabbage patch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yikes, I need to make 3 wind generators, and they need a poo poo ton of aluminum. And the electric furnaces make it so slowly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

fappenmeister posted:

Are there solid ways of making Gol fast, aside from selling stone stools at +100% market value days?

Fishing. Just buy a bunch of caterpillars and fish like crazy. Completing the 2 day fishing event nets you good money when selling off the fish afterwards. Iron bars are supposed to be a cost effective item too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wow they got really behind on the voices. How many VAs did they use? Given the time constraints, I would have figured they would have a smaller pool of actors do the whole cast.

Ginger sounds like every female character in every dubbed Anime from the 90s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Give some to Gale for the Day of the Bright Sun Festival. It's a real hit!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does Nemesis actually do anything?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You should get 4 points in Artisan (it's in the middle tree). -20%resource cost for workbench is huge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The game is pretty much done, the only unfinished bits are voice lines.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's little actual farming in the game. It's rather time consuming until you hire Ack and paying him cuts into your margins. Pretty much all the small planter box crops are things you carry buy or forage (rainbow flowers is one of the few you'll need to grow to make pigments). Growing crystal/apple/apricot trees is better, plus using a giant seed to grow some monstrous kumquat or whatever.

Recent patch nerfed fishing which upset people. Though I would argue the game is open ended enough that it really doesn't matter, I guess some players are really lazy and want some easy gimmick to rush through the content. But there's so much working in the players favor and so much to do it doesn't matter in the long run.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Playing so far, I've noticed some rather common components that get used for lots of things, even in the late game :

Bronze Pipes- Tons of constructed things need these, so rather than waste time having to smelt+grind try to stockpile them.later you can commission civil corps to do dungeon runs which yield some, which tends to be worth the cost since you'll get other useful stuff as well.

Bronze Plates- another common component for early game stuff.
You'll want to build quite a few DeeDee transports and each one needs 4 bronze plates (plus a few other things) but the plates tend to be the bottleneck.

Steel plates- Common for a lot of things, and also needed for Steel Shells which are commonly needed for later things. Having a stockpile saves time later.

Bearings- I think it's the only thing that uses tin alloy, so if you have to start from scratch on these it wastes a day getting everything together. I just use a comprehensive grinder in order to free up my forges that are usually cranking out Steel bars.

Hardwood plank- probably the most common wood component for things. Use your basic cutters for making it to free up your more advanced ones to make steel or aluminum plates.

Fiber cloth - rather than endlessly slaughter Llamas, just get a civil corps commission for the fur and have your skivver cranking this out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Bramble posted:

Great screenshots, downright inspirational! How do you get your camera free to take those shots?

Later on you build a hot air balloon attraction allowing you to go on scenic balloon rides. You can take people on dates on it too, but it eats up 5 hours of time.

I wanna see if I can go on a balloon ride during day of the Bright Sun so I can try to crash the hot air balloon into the gift blimp!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah you can be in same sex relationships in the game, though the characters don't adress it at all (in Stardew Valley they'd mention that they 'never felt that way about a girl /boy before' if you were the same sex, and their parents would be explicitly accepting of your relationship as well).

Some characters are more developed than others. If you dare Phyllis, the nurse, you find out that she really wants to start a clinic of her own, and not get tied down in a marriage so you get a mission to prove to her you support her dream, then later you can help build a clinic that she eventually works in!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who's the best person to marry? Are there any gameplay effects depending on who your spouse is, or are they all the same?

At first I was thinking of marrying Ginger because I thought her umbrella hat was cute, but I did some research and apparently it's very hard to romance her and after you do she dies. Is this true? It's a little hard to find info on this game.

Now I kind of want to marry Phyllis because she seems really cool, also has a cute hat, and I respect how dedicated she is to her job, is she a good choice? Nothing horrible happens to her after you marry her, right? :ohdear:

I don't think she actually dies. There's a mission where she gets seriously ill and you need to gather cactus fruit to cure her but I don't think she dies if you take too long. The rumor started because the mayor had some lines in the game files mentioning it but it's not in the actual game play. .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They weren't able to finish all the voices in the game but their jiggle physics were on point, evidently. Whenever you switch camera poses Phyllis does a little juggle in a particular region which is so weird.

Interestingly, in an earlier alpha of the game Nora had a variant of Phyllis' outfit, down to the boob window dress. They decided a sexy nurse would be more appropriate than a sexy nun (though Nora still wears the sexy nun costume during the marriage cutscene when she's playing the organ).

I think Ginger is just faking illness for attention. Either that or she's a vampire. And Aadit is definitely some kind of John Wick type dude which explains his events.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When people first mentioned Russo is this badass I got him mixed up with Isaac and was disappointed there wasn't a boss fight at the end of the martial arts tournament where Isaac this Pai Mei martial arts badass.

"Life is time, and your time is UP YATATATATATATATATATATATA! "

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:qq: Aw aw aw...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tired Moritz posted:

marry anyone, except Tody because ew

Who wouldn't want to be the fishmonger's wife though?

People have warned against marrying Sophie because it means you have to hear her irritating upspeak all the time.

Lee going on about the Dancing Robot is funny because of the dismissive tone he takes at the end. :smug: "Yeah it shot rays of its eyes and hurt a bunch of people. It's a sad story. Bunch of sinners, hope they're burning in hell. Anyway, if you find any irreplaceable technology be sure to give it to me so I can destroy it and give you a box of dirt in exchange. "

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Spudd posted:

I enjoy fishing in this game, was able to unlock the final fishing rod about 2 weeks after the museum opened. I think I'm at a part of the game now where I need to go relic hunting in digs and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I really wish they could just see what I had in my chests instead of me needing to have them in my inventory.

One of the rewards you get is the same combiner machine they have in the research center. It does take 3 hours vs research center finishing instantly, but it automatically grabs from all your boxes inventory so it's much easier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, Remmington? The guy who sounds like he pisses Earl Grey and craps Crumpets?

No the other one. Honestly he sounds more like Johnny Bravo to me than a stereotypical black guy. Arlo is the one with the stuffy British accent. Sam has an actual normal sounding voice but her face being stuck in that smug DreamWorks facial expression annoys me.

Do we ever find out the deal with Mysterious Man? Who is he really?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There will be a mission to hold several after you finish the dee Dee transport mission and Petra gives you the plans then.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Once you get the tree farm set up it becomes a non-issue really. Same with getting the mine going, you get daily deliveries of raw materials. Though by that point, you can already gather them up so effortlessly that its almost not even needed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Remember you can reposition your house on your lot for free. Nice to know when you upgrade it and accidentally put the entrance in a wonky spot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah some of those inspections are challenging, particularly for the ones that are naturally lumpy or asymmetrical.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I heard there's a third tier of artifact scanner, where is it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Honestly they missed out a chance to have Higgins be a united unique character where you could do things to make him a bitter rival (sabotaging his efforts, stealing from him, implying his sister is a whore) resulting in beating him in points more easily at the cost of alienating the community, or a frenemy where your competitions have a collective benefit and you both get more chances to make money though giving Higgins a points edge in the process.

So you're filled with dilemmas- put a flaming bag of horse poo on his front yard, pudding him (and the Civil corps) off, or helping him with lucrative commissions that will pay more and take less resources by working together.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I never bothered with sheds, since unlike Stardew Valley the farmed resources aren't exactly cash cows compared to just digging up rocks and doing commissions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bouquet of roses are universally liked, and Alice sells 1 each day. I stock up the weeks leading up to a holiday so I can give lots of townspeople flowers and get that sweet multiplier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think so

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Too bad Mali isn't date able, she's a badass. She would have made a great Akuma type boss in the martial arts tournament.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Main thing is to be number 1 by the end of the year. The seasonal prizes for 1st place are nice, but the year end prize is the real windfall, 30,000 gols plus tons of relic fragments.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sydin posted:

So should I not be turning all of my carbon steel right around into steel plates? Seemingly everything needs them right now so I've got three industrial furnaces working full time on carbon steel, and three cutters churning out steel plates.

Split between plates and frames. You'll need lots of steel frames, then later steel shells (which are frames+shells).

Later on, you'll also need aluminum stuff as well, though I noticed its not nearly as common of an ingredient as carbon steel based ingredients.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Saxophone posted:

In the options menu, you can slow down the passing of time. It doesn't help your furnace times, but if you find yourself scrambling to get wood and then back to do upkeep and then to do this and that etc. It can help. I know I turn mine down when I go ironwood harvesting just because the trees are so far apart

Also, does getting the year end award do.anyyging besides 30k goal and gloating rights over Higgins? Because I'm perfectly happy with second place and chill. 30k can be made up by like, 2 days of Wise Fish fishing.

You also get a ton of relic parts as well as a few other goodies u can't remember. Also a sweet trophy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Once you get the tree farm going wood becomes such a non issue. Ditto for the mine.

People complain that even at 50 percent speed they don't have time to do what they need, yet mid game you have so many processes automated you really don't have to actively do much. You get wood and ore deliveries, can pay the Civil corps to run dungeons for you, and putting various relics outside will give you friendship points when people go out and admire them. Giving people loved gifts on the holidays /birthdays is way more efficient than talking to them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

waggles posted:

So this game just aborted my character's baby.

I was running a test to see if the story changes if I romanced Aadit. I already knew he would leave after the Rogue Knight quest line, so I wanted to see if he shows up when my character had her baby. My character was pregnant when she fought the All Source (the Civil Corps did all the work, I ran out of stamina and healing items). She was still pregnant the day after, but two days after the fight the baby icon disappeared. I'm holding onto the profile for later updates from the devs.

There was a rumor your character could suffer a miscarriage if fighting in dungeons too much. Not sure if it is true.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fhqwhgads posted:

Build a surrogate womb and put it in Ack. He can have a bun in the oven while he's got a bun in the oven!

Oh the Church of Light is gonna love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does your character look gravid?

Who brings the baby if you decide to adopt?