Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wish hand drawn animation would come back and entirely replace computer animation in everything. Or I wish that it never existed at all. I hate it and it's terrible. I don't care if this means there wouldn't be any Toy Story movies. It would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Anime was way better when it was hand drawn.
Except for the kemono friends of course.

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
have a try being off line.

Theres a whole heap of physical media and also film.

Theres hand drawn animation as well if you look outside your small circle

Whats important is your definition of Hand Drawn animation.

Because its gonna be wrong.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I wish drawings and sculptures didn't exist. They promote unhealthy escapism and are against Allah.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wish hand drawn animation would come back and entirely replace computer animation in everything. Or I wish that it never existed at all. I hate it and it's terrible. I don't care if this means there wouldn't be any Toy Story movies. It would be worth it.
current movies use too much cgi
it's supposed to be amazing but it's so overdone the big complex models they make end up seeming BLAND and BORING
see: transformers and all superhero movies

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Sounds like someone hasn't seen the dancing baby

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I wish computers never existed and we were having this discussion over a physical mailing list.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but what should debians releases be named after then???

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
There is something about a hand drawn tentacle entering and exiting an anus that cant be replicated with a computer. It loving can't.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Hello I do computer animation AMA goons

not the rereg guy

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
There's room for both. Big studios don't really want to do 2d anymore but there are plenty of individuals who still practice 2d and are very skilled. It's all about where you look.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

yeah. I figure like, all hand drawn animation is done with a computer nowadays anyway, but I really miss that illustrated and 2D look. 3d animation reeks of low effort. Into the Spiderverse was a great exception though, it was like eye candy for me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Goddamn I need to rewatch Princess and the Frog. I expected Disney to have no 2D talent left at that point (2009 I think?) and they knocked it out of the park. Even had dedicated lead animators for important characters so every one would have different movement quirks.

And Japanese cinema releases can be good if you like spergin over intricate backgrounds and animated close-ups of mundane tasks. Just watch them on mute

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

not the rereg guy

If you make a 3d animation of venus of willendorf sitting on batman's face I will pay you seven dollars swear to god.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ruffian Price posted:

Goddamn I need to rewatch Princess and the Frog. I expected Disney to have no 2D talent left at that point (2009 I think?) and they knocked it out of the park. Even had dedicated lead animators for important characters so every one would have different movement quirks.

Never really watched anything for the sake of animation, but that last part sounds like a really cool labor of love. I'll probably watch it with my disney-loving partner then.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I think it's cool how perfect cell's spots are different in every key frame. But I can understand why this might be a huge waste of money in the modern era.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm okay with a few things that involved computers. I like how the gazelles running in the Lion King took a whole team of people 2 and a half years for 3 minutes on screen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was watching the 1990 Prince and the Pauper which is freaking beautiful and I was sad that that isn't the way every animated thing is all the time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Do those sorts of illustrated-animated movies look good in 4K?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

all modern ‘animation’ is derivative, vapid garbage. true connoisseurs of the medium watch lotte reiniger’s oeuvre exclusively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9L7r8NIBc

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Icochet posted:

If you make a 3d animation of venus of willendorf sitting on batman's face I will pay you seven dollars swear to god.

Vilepilot has a thread for that

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQ-t3nGzrI

You’re welcome, op

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
It would be nice to live without knowing that butt ugly martians existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlc4T8dxqA

joats fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Any excuse to watch some Hertzfeldt.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

2D is still fairly popular for tv shows and independent films and stuff, though it’s digitally done these days. Due to the IMMENSE amount of work/time/expense traditional old school 2D has, with painting cels etc., it will probably remain niche forever :( Best we can hope for is some kind of Hipstery renaissance in the future after the general public finally gets sick of all the CGI.

Source: have a 2D animation degree that is catching almost as much dust as my animation disc and lightbox because why dredge all that poo poo up when you can animate in Flash in a fraction of the time? Even hand drawing and digital compositing for coloring and layering is faster but again, much slower than just doing it all in a digital program

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Putty posted:

not the rereg guy

What's the best thing you've ever put in your rear end?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

what about that dumbass cgi that they do anime in nowadays sometimes, it looks like poo poo 100% always

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Anime was way better when it was hand drawn.
Except for the kemono friends of course.

all anime is trash hth

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ASCII gif of meatspin.gif

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
AAAaaAAahhh the French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3PEh_lg9I

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Animation is for children.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

joats posted:

It would be nice to live without knowing that ugly martians existed.

god remembering this hurts my insides. when I think of 3d animation I think of all the other low production turds Nick put out.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

maker posted:

current movies use too much cgi
it's supposed to be amazing but it's so overdone the big complex models they make end up seeming BLAND and BORING
see: transformers and all superhero movies

It becomes such a crutch that practical effects become almost nonexistent. Things just seem so much more real when you use a real thing. There can be good CGI like Pacific Rim but for every one of those you have 2 Transformers and 5 Super Hero movies. The CGI in a Transformers movie needs special mention because when they start fighting it just becomes unintelligible bullshit.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
cgi movies have gotten good enough that all the characters look like flesh dolls it creeps me out

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The evangelion remakes/rebuilds are pretty to look at, but the forced-in 3d animation is the most awkward experience ever.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

rango was good :ohdear:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So there’s a thing I’ve noticed and I want to know what the right terminology and what causes the difference but in a lot of animation nothing seems to have any “weight” I guess? Like things just move.

But then take something older, Akira was the last one I noticed it in, and the movement feels heavier somehow? Like there’s actual effort and physics behind it? Does this make any sense?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

buglord posted:

yeah. I figure like, all hand drawn animation is done with a computer nowadays anyway, but I really miss that illustrated and 2D look. 3d animation reeks of low effort. Into the Spiderverse was a great exception though, it was like eye candy for me.

Spiderverse is fantastic :spidey:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the future is here and we can all only vote with our dollars.

but gently caress that HD simpsons opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

christmas boots posted:

So there’s a thing I’ve noticed and I want to know what the right terminology and what causes the difference but in a lot of animation nothing seems to have any “weight” I guess? Like things just move.

But then take something older, Akira was the last one I noticed it in, and the movement feels heavier somehow? Like there’s actual effort and physics behind it? Does this make any sense?

You're talking about some basic animation principles. Things like anticipation, weight, squash and stretch, and recoil to actions performed by a character. Characters are often animated first as a set of poses performed in an action, with the frames in between drawn after and given special treatment like blurring and such. These concepts aren't something that is determined by traditional or computer animation or if it's 2D/3D, more if something was animated with time or was rushed out to meet a deadline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_principles_of_animation

I don't know what an Akira is but if it's old it probably followed animation principles. If you have examples I could probably tell you why something looks good or off.

Putty fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 18, 2019