Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Updated the OP

piratepilates posted:

Worst Tattoo in MMA:

Kyle Stewart's "USMC" back tattoo

Added this to "Comedy in MMA" since there's no "worst tattoo" category, I'd submit that pic to the PYF "Bad Tattoo" thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Costa vs Romero for whatever it can be under.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Digital Jedi posted:

Costa vs Romero for whatever it can be under.

Definitely thinks that falls under: 2019's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Diaz/Pettis was definitely a fun fight where we won too.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Bellator 225 - best event of the year (14 fights, 14 finishes, a ton in the 1st round)

Comedy in MMA - Matt Mitrione loses his lovely mouthpiece 4 times in rounds 1 and 2, gets knocked out while mouthpiece is out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
look, we all know that Masvidal has KO of the year basically wrapped up

But we gotta show respect to Ottman Azaitar vs Teemu Packalen, KO, punch, UFC 242

Cuz, drat

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1170370267274604553

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Honourable Mention Fight of the Year - UFC Vancouver - Chas Skelly vs Jordan Griffin. poo poo has somersaults and backpacks and no-gi ezekiel choke from guard attempts and poo poo. It's fun as gently caress and sloppy as all hell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The fight’s winner nearly gets knocked out in two of the three rounds. It’s really good and just a fun fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Honourable Mention Fight of the Year - UFC Vancouver - Chas Skelly vs Jordan Griffin. poo poo has somersaults and backpacks and no-gi ezekiel choke from guard attempts and poo poo. It's fun as gently caress and sloppy as all hell.

Pereira vs Connelly seems to have the same after 1 round.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Comedy in MMA, OSP gets the Von Preux choke yet again, UFC on ESPN+ 18

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Round of the Year, Jamie Mullarkey vs. Brad Riddell Round 3, UFC 243

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Memento posted:

Round of the Year, Jamie Mullarkey vs. Brad Riddell Round 3, UFC 243

Absofuckinglutely, what an incredible round.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bad Reffing Award

Andrew Glenn
Fight Night Joanna vs. Waterson Mike Davis vs Thomas Gifford - Glenn fails to stop the fight on like 5 valid occasions, letting Gifford take approximately 100 significant strikes that he didn't need to take.

Bad Coaching award

Fight Night Joanna vs. Watterson Mike Davis vs Thomas Gifford - Gifford's corner fails to stop the fight between rounds, sending Gifford out for a second and for a third so that he could visit Brendan Schaub in the land of wind and ghosts. BONUS - Gifford's coach is his dad.

e. removed an extra "t"

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 13, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence
Andrew Glenn letting Davis vs. Gifford go to the KO finish despite it being clear from at least the second round that Gifford was completely done and was just going to get more and more hosed up (gently caress Gifford's corner too) - UFC on ESPN 19 10/12

CommonShore posted:

Bad Coaching award

Fight Night Joanna vs. Watterson Mike Davis vs Thomas Gifford - Gifford's corner fails to stop the fight between rounds, sending Gifford out for a second and for a third so that he could visit Brendan Schaub in the land of wind and ghosts. BONUS - Gifford's coach is his dad.

Absolutely agreed. Everybody in the arena, watching at home and on commentary knew that shouldn't have gone into the third round.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I wasn't gonna reply just to let CommonShore know that there's just one t in waterson but then

Jerusalem posted:

The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence

Lil Kim?

Edit:

CommonShore posted:

Kim Winslow used to ref for the NSAC and she had a few sloppy incidents. I think Mark Goddard replaced her.

Oh hahaha okay, thanks! (your post now has the same name spelled 2 different ways, :shrug: )

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 13, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brut posted:

Lil Kim?

It's what Mekchu has in the OP as a category :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kim Winslow used to ref for the NSAC and she had a few sloppy incidents. I think Mark Goddard replaced her.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Winslow was pretty bad in general but mostly earned her rep by officiating the Cyborg-Jan Finney snuff film

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Updated my spreadsheet since I haven't in 3 months.

I think I got everything

VVV I just updated it!

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 13, 2019

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Niko Price murdering James Vick with an up-kick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

old.flv posted:

2nding for KO of the Year. Goddamn. UFC on ESPN 19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kim Winslow once warned a fighter what felt like 100 times to stop grabbing the fence in invicta. She was slapping the fighter’s hand and such over and over but did nothing to actually take a point or punish the fighter for constant cheating.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

old.flv posted:

https://streamable.com/3wkgi

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Updating OP

Jerusalem posted:

It's what Mekchu has in the OP as a category :shrug:

It's a holdover from the older thread which was made back when Kim Winslow was more prominent in the refereeing circle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Updating OP

It's a holdover from the older thread which was made back when Kim Winslow was more prominent in the refereeing circle.

It's a good conversation starter for discussing MMA history.

I'm reflecting on it and I'm going to give last night's fight night - Fight Night Joanna vs Waterson aka Fight Night Tampa or w/e - a nomination for Best Event. There was only one fight that wasn't at least OK, with several very good fights, at least two memorable finishes, and it had that unexpected theme of "goddamn how is this person still in the fight?"

It's less that I expect it to win, but more to just record that it was a far better event than most.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

gilbert yvel nominee and probable winner if he gets a nc as a result right there folks, someone nominate it in the 2019 best & worst thread please. i'm at the gym right now.

So Foul of the Year nomination for Greg Hardy at Fight night Reyes vs Weidman - he takes a couple puffs on an inhaler between rounds 2 and 3 in his fight vs a create-a-bogan

There should be some nomination also for the anonymous Mass. commissioner who told him he could do it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

So Foul of the Year nomination for Greg Hardy at Fight night Reyes vs Weidman - he takes a couple puffs on an inhaler between rounds 2 and 3 in his fight vs a create-a-bogan

There should be some nomination also for the anonymous Mass. commissioner who told him he could do it.

Seconding this, here's video.

https://streamable.com/bm7t8

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
suggestion: let's make a category for best burn on an athlete by an mma person (fighter, media, exec, etc.)

this is inspired by angie hill burning greg hardy's fight

https://twitter.com/AngieOverkill/status/1185389875047981056

thoughts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brut posted:

Seconding this, here's video.

https://streamable.com/bm7t8

"can I take my inhaler?"
"you can if it's medical" <--- ?!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mekchu posted:

suggestion: let's make a category for best burn on an athlete by an mma person (fighter, media, exec, etc.)

thoughts?

Sounds like fun, Adesanya's recent tweet on Jon Jones got a drat good laugh out of me.

https://twitter.com/stylebender/status/1184686663542304770

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

thoughts?

My thoughts are that Angie's gonna take first second and third place, if she's not tweeting about the fights she must be fighting that night.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's the difference between insult of the year and best social media presence?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

What's the difference between insult of the year and best social media presence?

wouldn't best presence just be like, cumulative, where as best insult is a singular thing said?

for added comedy we can add a 'fear the consequences' category for "failed attempts at trash talk/hyping up the crowd"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

wouldn't best presence just be like, cumulative, where as best insult is a singular thing said?

for added comedy we can add a 'fear the consequences' category for "failed attempts at trash talk/hyping up the crowd"

Works for me.

So let's nominate Angela Hill for best social media presence.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Works for me.

So let's nominate Angela Hill for best social media presence.

And Durinho

https://twitter.com/GilbertDurinho/status/1185318307383123969

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK, adding 2 new categories (sorry digital jedi)

The Touch Butt In the Park Award for Best Insult/Trash Talk Line

Jeff Monson's gently caress For Free Worst MMA Hype Talk

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 19, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mekchu posted:

OK, adding 2 new categories (sorry digital jedi)

Poor Paul Buentello's Award for Worst Hype Talk

Ummmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK, its changed to the Jeff Monson's gently caress For Free Worst MMA Hype Talk award

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Referee incompetence:

Whoever the doofus in the Loma Lookboonmee vs Aleksandra Albu fight is. Albu repeatedly grabbed Lookboonmee's clothes, to the point that Loma's top ripped. Despite a warning that the next instance would result in a point deduction, the ref simply warned Albu again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Referee incompetence:

Whoever the doofus in the Loma Lookboonmee vs Aleksandra Albu fight is. Albu repeatedly grabbed Lookboonmee's clothes, to the point that Loma's top ripped. Despite a warning that the next instance would result in a point deduction, the ref simply warned Albu again.

Daniel Movahedi

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10596/Loma-Lookboonmee-vs-Alexandra-Albu

For added incompetence there's a ref scoring this fight 28-29 when the other cards are both 30-27.