Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

This is just the 2019 version of this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845372

So if you watch an anime movie, post about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

1: A Penguin's Memories: great vietnam movie, with penguins and a nice display of ptsd. i didn't really care for the musical numbers in the first half of the movie, but they manage to tie them nicely into the story after that. I cried a little

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the second Lum movie, Beautiful Dreamer, widely considered one of the great anime films.

My exposure to Lum before this is reading a bit of the manga and a couple episodes so I don't have the background with the characters this movie might have required. Takahashi's characters are charming even when they're incredibly perverse (Happosai from Ranma is the one exception, he's just awful). So I still found Ataru tolerable even when he's being an awful poo poo.

That said the movie didn't absorb me. I could appreciate what Oshii was doing but it felt like he was experimenting with techniques he'd later go on to polish in better films. This was a sandbox for him to experiment with characters he was familiar with and who the audience was familiar with so that he could concentrate on tone and composition over exposition and character development. All the tonal shifts clashed in a way I found really off-putting. Saying that the final villain is the entity who inspired Hitler to commit genocide while still treating him like a loveable goof and giving him a bit of redemption didn't sit well.

There's some really incredible sequences though. I can't fault the film visually, or for its ambition. It's interesting in the context of Oshii's career.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i watched black magic m-66 cuz i saw a gif of the mc getting dressed on twitter. really wasn't titty at all but a cool action movie. really loved how loose and painterly the background illustration for the cyber city was, haven't seen that approach anywhere else. in conclusion

e; oh i liked how they gave you snippets of this bigger war that was going on in the background but didn't explain it at all because it's not important

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so this is gonna basically be the broly thread in a couple days huh

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Watched expelled from paradise. It was entertaining, but probably wouldn't recommend it lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SUPER BROOOOOOOLY

GOGEEEEEEEEEETA

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Homo Simpson posted:

Watched expelled from paradise. It was entertaining, but probably wouldn't recommend it lol

It's important reading material for super robot wars T

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I saw the Glowing Men Punch Each Other aka Exposition for Days aka DB Super: Broly.

It reminded me why I watch anime subbed. Problems in scripts, like characters only speaking in exposition, seems less unnatural when you're hearing it in another language. Everything in the first 20 minutes of this movie is characters speaking in exposition, and watching that in English hurts. I wanted the characters to shut up and let the atmosphere imply the weight of what is happening. There are some very nice looking space and extra-terrestrial scenes.

The fight scenes look great, probably the best DBZ has ever looked aside from some dodgy CG scenes. Was the CG there as a cool thing or because they didn't have enough animators? Who knows.

There are comedy bits in this film that feel like they could work. They don't, but they almost do. The line delivery or the tonally clashing music sets them up to fail.

The theater was packed and a lot of people liked it. Nobody cheered during it but there were people clapping at the end. A much fuller theater than I expected at 10 PM during a snowstorm.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
A Silent Voice is playing in my area in little over a week so I'll be trip reporting that for sure.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

A Silent Voice is playing in my area in little over a week so I'll be trip reporting that for sure.

I watched this and enjoyed it immensely.

All I knew going in was that it was a story about some kid being a poo poo to some girl as a kid and was trying to make amends later in life, I didn't know the girl was deaf and that the story would be about suicide, depression, and bullying, and that it would be pretty good at tying those threads together in a way that makes me happy that the characters are doing better by the end.

Except for Ueno. She deserved to get slapped.

Also they had an interview with the English VO of the deaf girl at the end (even though I watched the subtitled version) and bravo on them for actually getting a deaf person to do the voice.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh yeah forgot to report back. It was a great movie, but an unfortunately awful screening :(.

I already put some impressions in the seasonal thread.

ViggyNash posted:

Just came out of a screening of A Silent Voice and wow they really tried, but I don't think a movie length production could ever do the manga justice. It's a great substitute for those who don't read manga, but its missing so much of the nuance. This needed at least a 1 cour season to truly breathe.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I've been trying to get two of my weeby housemates to watch Redline for over a year now and they just complain or say they're not interested every time we're trying to figure out a movie to watch. But they're both that selfish type that hate any suggestion that's not their own so gently caress 'em. I've stopped watching movies with them outside of whatever Marvel one that gets released. My other housemate (who's not really an anime fan) was absolutely floored when we watched it so I'm happy.

Seriously though, Redline is phenomenally pretty to watch and it's always the first anime movie I recommend to friends! So any of you who haven't seen it yet, please Treat Yo Self!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Redline is fantastic. Perfect action movie.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Belladonna of Sadness (1973) - Was streaming on Mubi. Gorgeously realized, but that first half is rough going for someone who's sensitive to depictions of rape & violence against women, however abstract and allegorical. The second half gets real out there with its psychedelic setpieces and soundtrack, but I'll need more time to chew on the resolution and its conclusions. Jean sucks and I'm glad he died.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Redline is magnificent and I love it even more knowing that its production nearly broke Madhouse just to maximize it's dopeness..

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

ViggyNash posted:

Redline is magnificent and I love it even more knowing that its production nearly broke Madhouse just to maximize it's dopeness..

Oh dang, how did I not know it was made by Madhouse?! Do you have an article or reference to this? I'd love to read about it

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Seconding Belladonna of Sadness. Almost every frame is a work of art.

The DBZ Broly movie is simple good fun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Reiche posted:

Oh dang, how did I not know it was made by Madhouse?! Do you have an article or reference to this? I'd love to read about it

https://youtu.be/Ktotgj7HUkw

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think I was officially the last person in the world to catch A Silent Voice. That's a ridiculously strong movie even despite what I thought was some kind of uneven pacing and a plot that felt like it ended like 3 times over. I'd heard it was heavy but I still wasn't remotely emotionally prepared for either the first or last third of the movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not setting a goal for myself this year beyond just seeing how far I can go, because I set a lofty goal last year and suddenly life became and stayed busy as heck and clearly setting that goal was what started it all. So by that logic maybe things will get sane for me if I don't set a goal?? Anyways...

1) Dragonball Super: Broly - The only new Dragonball content I've enjoyed was Battle of Gods and unfortunately it seems like it's gonna stay that way. I'm not gonna say it didn't get a bit exciting at the tail-end of the fight but dang the buildup to get there was just exhausting for me. It also made me realize that I never wanna see another franchise anime movie in theaters ever again and I'm dreading the experience when the final Eva movie comes out!

2) Your Name - Liked it but didn't love it. What can I add that hasn't already been said about the movie that has been seen so much it has raked in all that dough? Instead I'm just gonna wonder what Shinkai is up to with whatever he's planning next. Your Name felt like the culmination of that same theme he has been using time and time again for nearly two decades now. Is he gonna go at it again or try something new next time? I'm hoping for the latter but I'll also accept the former.

3) Red Ash: Gearworld - Is a pilot film truly a film? MAL lists it as such but I'm not sure if. But hey if I don't list it here then where else would I talk about it so I'm breaking the rules. I don't need to recap the whole debacle behind its production. I went in expecting the worst, I got something that's pretty alright. It's not as derivative of Megaman Legends as I would have feared, getting by with enough to differentiate itself. As a pilot it's remarkably efficient but without feeling like it's rushed. It's real hard to not use video game terminology when talking about it so I'll just say that it felt like watching the cutscenes surrounding an intro mission in game that has yet to be made (and I don't mean that in a negative way). If this was the pilot for an anime I'd legitimately be looking forward to checking out some more, so it's a shame that it's just promo material for a game that you'd be a fool to have high hopes for, if it ever comes out.

4) Haikara-san ga Tooru movie 1 - I'm calling it movie 1 because the full title is too dang long! For anyone who remembers the OP streams I did a few years back the tv series this was a shoujo anime from the late 70s that I found out about through the stream and promptly forgot about the show after finding out it was completely unsubbed. Well, the tv show isn't subbed but the next best thing happened, they decided to do a new adaption of the manga via two movies. My intake of shoujo romance is usually limited to a small handful each decade and hell, I'm glad that this has been one of them. It's hardly breaking new ground (you've definitely seen some of its dynamics in numerous other works) but its fundamentals are so solid that the combination of that, the updated character designs, and the historical setting all mean that you have yourself a movie that doesn't feel old at all. I really would watch more shoujo were more of it contained in movie form; there are some aspects that would drive me crazy to see unfold over the course of one or more episodes but in movie form it's a much more tolerable 5-10 minutes. It's currently my favorite out of the anime movies I watched so far this year and I'm very much looking forward to the second movie.

Also the OP has been scrubbed off the entire face of the dang internet so I had to dig around to find the OP via an unsubbed episode hosted on archive.org of all places. It's a catchy tune! https://archive.org/details/HeponekoHaikaraSanGaTooru42FamiGeki960x656H264AAC

Live-evil subbed the first ep last year so I'm looking forward to watching the complete tv series sometime in 2023.

5) Mirai - There's this movie theater about 30-40 minutes away from me that sometimes screens anime movies and I feel like every time I reconsider heading out there for something it turns out to be the right choice. After all that's over an hour of driving just to see a movie, it better be pretty drat good for me to feel it was worthwhile! Regarding Mirai specifically I thought about seeing it at that theater but with Hosoda the last time I truly enjoyed one of his movies without any caveats was The Girl Who Leapt Through time. And, well, I made the right call. I had been seeing diminishing returns from his movies but I could always have a few positive things to say even when the entire package wasn't that great. But while Shinkai kept hammering his favorite theme into a refined classic, Mirai is Hosoda taking his favorite theme and making what is very much a children's movie out of it. And I mean that not as a "movies for kids suck!" kind of thing but that it comes across as being very much for kids, not all-ages (a very important distinction!). It's simplistic and at times it honestly feels like it's straight up lecturing kids to be more respectful of their parents. Sure the animation is great as always but it's not like you have to go far to find good animation these days so I can't even praise it much on that basis. But hey like I said I generally dislike Hosoda more than I've liked him so my expectations were set accordingly. I hope I can fully enjoy another one of his movies someday and watching one movie every 2-3 years isn't that big of a commitment so I'll keep watching and hoping.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I never thought I'd ever go into an anime movie and for everyone there to treat it as a rock concert. But then I went to Broly on release day and it was not only sold out: also people were taking their kids to it, dressing up as characters for it, the usher had to keep people from sitting on the floor because it was hard to find open chairs and people clapped at the end of it.

What.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

broly owns and the only thing i'd cut from it is a chunk of the bardock stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The audience ruled for it, yeah.

I saw Broly after it had simmered for a little bit so there were less than the number of people that were probably there at it's launch, but I lucked out when Resurrection of F got that limited one time showing here a few years back and it was packed and I had people in the parking lot stopping and asking me if I was going to see it and everyone just flipping out at Jaco and it was loving awesome.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coaaab posted:

Belladonna of Sadness (1973) - Was streaming on Mubi. Gorgeously realized, but that first half is rough going for someone who's sensitive to depictions of rape & violence against women, however abstract and allegorical. The second half gets real out there with its psychedelic setpieces and soundtrack, but I'll need more time to chew on the resolution and its conclusions. Jean sucks and I'm glad he died.

Honestly, I feel like Jean was trying. The kind of poo poo he and Jeanne had to deal with is beyond what anyone could be reasonably expected to handle well, and it's not exactly a shock that he cracked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I saw Broly in a morning screening over a week after it came out and the audience there was getting pretty bothersome...I think if I were to have watched an evening showing the weekend it came out and have to deal with something like that multiplied several times over I'd probably just leave because I wouldn't want to watch any movie in that environment.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i went opening weekend but managed a pretty lowkey showing aside from the expected laugh lines etc. definitely was dreading something so "enthusiastic" that it would actually be disruptive though. i know we're all there because we love dbz but theatre etiquette can still be a thing, is my take.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I feel like Jean was trying. The kind of poo poo he and Jeanne had to deal with is beyond what anyone could be reasonably expected to handle well, and it's not exactly a shock that he cracked.
Jean is (by design) weak-willed & squanders any good fortune that comes to him, including his love for Jeanne, a character who is saintly to the point of parody and easily falls prey to larger forces at work. Jean is somewhat redeemed by his final decision at the end, but he mostly functions as a paragon of ordinary moral failing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I saw I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.

I went in mostly blind. From early on, I had my eyebrow raised at the whimsical pretty girl that comes to bring sunshine into the boring, staid book boy's life, and some of the foreshadowing was pretty blatant, but by the halfway point I'd been sucked in and was willing to forgive it its flaws (except for the sexual assault scene??? wtf was that poo poo. she apologized, but he didn't???). The characters were charming, the MC's growth felt meaningful and earned, and I cried. Felt kind of like Okada at her best, in that I recognized that my emotions were being manipulated, sometimes heavy-handedly, but I didn't care and just let the feels wash over me.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Ccs posted:

I watched the second Lum movie, Beautiful Dreamer, widely considered one of the great anime films.

My exposure to Lum before this is reading a bit of the manga and a couple episodes so I don't have the background with the characters this movie might have required. Takahashi's characters are charming even when they're incredibly perverse (Happosai from Ranma is the one exception, he's just awful). So I still found Ataru tolerable even when he's being an awful poo poo.

That said the movie didn't absorb me. I could appreciate what Oshii was doing but it felt like he was experimenting with techniques he'd later go on to polish in better films. This was a sandbox for him to experiment with characters he was familiar with and who the audience was familiar with so that he could concentrate on tone and composition over exposition and character development. All the tonal shifts clashed in a way I found really off-putting. Saying that the final villain is the entity who inspired Hitler to commit genocide while still treating him like a loveable goof and giving him a bit of redemption didn't sit well.

There's some really incredible sequences though. I can't fault the film visually, or for its ambition. It's interesting in the context of Oshii's career.

I've always had a huge soft spot for Beautiful Dreamer because it's one of the first anime works I ever saw. I know you mentioned the context of Oshii's career, and I think it's really interesting to put Beautiful Dreamer and Angel's Egg side by side.

Also, Beautiful Dreamer has the sequence where the nurse realizes she accidentally gave a teacher laxatives instead of sleeping pills and rides a motorbike into his apartment

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

DB Super: Broly was loving dope. I'm watching The Dagger of Kamui right now and it is also dope. Anybody who follows sakuga owes it to themselves to check it out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched like half an hour of the arpeggio movie a few weeks back but then i remembered its a bad franchise so i dropped it

movie 2: Mary and the Witch's Flower. this one is boring. i wrote a longer review but then i refreshed the page so i lost it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I wasn't really paying attention while scrolling thru amazon and ended up watching Night on the Galactic Railroad, when i what i thought i was getting was Galaxy Express 999. Turns out they aren't the same, even if there is a space train in both. It took a shamefully long time for me to really process that the cast was made up of anthropomorphic cats and that blonde ladyMaetel didn't seem likely to show up. :v:

Anyway, it was pretty good, if fairly melancholic and not exactly action packed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y6tkOyR4T0

Now i guess maybe i'll watch the other.

I also started to re-watch Maquia, but i got Too Sad and gave up for the evening.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

check out Ihatov Gensou by the same author as galactic railroad, i personally liked it a lot more!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ooo, neat poster.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

6 & 7) The two Attack on Titan compilation films for season one - Compilation films that don't change much if at all of the original material sure feel like an oddity these days. But heck as a refresher to get me excited for the upcoming season it worked out fine here. Some characterization gets shaved off but other than that it didn't suffer much if only because the pacing of the first season was rough so there was a lot they could patch up. I'm not quite sure that it's an effective replacement for the tv series but for someone who has seen the show and wanted to rewatch it, it worked out fine enough. I bet the season two compilation movie will be a lot worse since that season didn't have to worry about adapting too many chapters tho.

8) My Hero Academia: Two Heroes - The language of shonen jump movies is such that despite having watched just one episode of the show I never felt lost. Not much else I can really say, it was watchable but forgettable. It's not good but were it not for the manga being something that's gonna run for quite a long time, it was a specific kind of not good that would make me interested in checking out the series proper. Maybe I'll do that in 5 years or so!

9) Kase-san - It's a very saccharine film and that's too scary for me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh neat, and surprisingly relevant to me.
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/1103049379945086977?s=19

Also, now that it's on home release I watched Liz and the Blue Bird and it was really really good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I watched the Non Non Biyori Vacation movie last night and it was about as sweet and cute as you'd expect. Maybe a little less substantial than I'd like, even considering it's a Iyashkei bit, and it's easily the least visually impressive anime movie I've seen in the last few months, but it's still eminently cute and endearing and good at all the things Non Non Biyori's always been good at. I especially like that Natsumi wound up having probably the most material of anyone in the movie - it's been a long time but I remember feeling like she was kind of underused in the show proper.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Stairmaster posted:

broly owns and the only thing i'd cut from it is a chunk of the bardock stuff.

I liked that part, could have maybe trimmed just a minute or two of it. I was spoiled on the biggest fanservice aspect of it, but even with that I was losing my poo poo when it happened and it's probably my pick for best DBZ movie of all time, just nailed the story, the odd DBZ comedy, the characters, and of course the fighting was top notch even when it decided to make no sense. A very satisfying ending too that wasn't involving time-shenanigans or the standard "blow up the bad guy with a Spirit Bomb" type ending. My nitpick would be that I do miss seeing all of the crew get their own chump to beat up, but it made perfect sense not to have that in the latest movie so I can't really hold that against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

10) Attack on Titan season two compilation movie - Basically what I expected, a decent refresher but since the second season had way less fat to trim it cuts out some key characterization. Were it 15 minutes longer they might have been able to salvage it. But as far as getting me hyped for the new season later this year it did its job, I suppose?

11) Lupin the Third: The Secret of Twilight Gemini - After more or less a decade of gradually watching the Lupin tv movies I finally reached the end, and apparently I saved the worst for last. Poor animation quality combined with uninspired direction made this a slog to get through; the action scenes are lifelessly choreographed in a way that even amazing animation wouldn't be able to overcome and in a move that's highly uncharacteristic of the franchise, there are an overwhelming number of scenes where characters sit or stand completely still and talk about the plot. The character designs get outright off-putting as in an unforgivable move that seems taken to simplify the animation, nobody has hair on the back of their hands in this movie and that's hosed up beyond belief.

In this era of a million isekai anime with colonialist themes I'll give the movie credit for going with an anti-colonialism message, albeit one that's handled v clumsily. Though now I'm rescinding its credit because one of the villains was gay and Lupin was definitely *not* woke about that.

As far as feature length Lupin goes, that might just be the nadir. I'm a big Lupin fan and I've sat through many highs and lows, but I can't think of anything I've seen of the franchise that falls lower than this.

12) Non Non Biyori the movie - I only ever saw a few episodes of the tv series back when it originally aired. Despite not having an urge to watch much beyond that as a little bit went a long way, a small dose of its slow-burn humor in-between scenes of idyllic countryside life was alright by me. It was enough to leave an impression on me that I can remember years later, which sure as heck is a world of difference from many shows of that type. I feel very similarly about this movie. Why, it's alright by me.