Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

3: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms: do not understand the praise for this one at all. while it mostly looked pretty (some awful anime mouths and terribly clashing architecture notwithstanding) the writing is uncharacteristically awful for mari okada. the entire story is incredibly melodramatic (well, hers mostly are....), way too reliant on time skips to wave away any of its problems with stuff not making sense and strung together by incredible coincidences. a bunch of characters get set up to do something, but then do nothing at all. also clearly on display are her usual mommy issues. clearly she wasn't ready for the director role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

4: to finish of my tetsujin toxx, i also decided to watch the movie 'Tetsujin 28-gou: Hakuchuu no Zangetsu'. the sound design of this is fantastic. the visuals often are also great. the story is dull, at times baffling and not very good at all. all that said, it left quite a legacy:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

triple post cause i decided to do 2 movies today with number 5: afterschool midnighters. this is a horror comedy for what i imagine are 5 year olds starring a skeleton, an anatomy model, 3 mafiosi rabbits and 3 girls that broadly fit the description of a festival party girl, nouveau rich soccer mom and sucy from lwa. oh but they're all 5 years old, and it came out way before lwa.

anyway it was a decently fun movie, i wouldn't be able to stomach the childish writing for much longer, but 1.5 hours is fine. most of the movie was in 3d, which looked decent enough, though the backgrounds as a whole were rather barren, but occasionally there were bits of 2d animation which came paired with something amazing: fps drops in anime. it was very noticeable and did not look good. outside of that i enjoyed the movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caught Maquia tonight, liked it quite a bit. Really gorgeous environmental design even if some of the character art felt kinda blah to me, and the writing had a lot of warmth where it counted even if some of the plotting got a little inelegant. Not quite the emotional bomb I had described to me, but still pretty effective when it wanted to be.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saw Mirai tonight while the rest of the internet was bitching about Game Of Thrones. It was okay - visually very charming and dynamic and inventive, but the story was pretty boilerplate, if inoffensive, family appreciation stuff. I can see why it got the Oscar nomination ahead of any of 2018's other high profile anime movies, and if that sounds like a backhanded compliment, well, it kinda is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watched the afro samurai movie, which like the main show was pretty boring. even worse writing somehow, so not very not enjoyable

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

saw mirai in the cinema. incredibly by the numbers and dull. hosoda's furry tendencies come out once again. looks good at times, but most of that is dull photorealism, the more interesting fantasy sequences feature a lot of ugly 3d cgi

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saw Millennium Actress tonight, my first Satoshi Kon gig. It was alright, although it makes me wonder if Kon's style might just not be my thing. The gimmick with the characters falling into Chiyoko's stories aside, the movie felt very realist and kind of emotionally distant in a way that...didn't leave me cold, exactly, but made it hard for me to really get much an emotional reaction from anything. Felt very academic where I wanted it to feel more personal - Chiyoko felt too hidden away by metalayers and caricature for me to truly invest in her.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Also saw Millenium Actress tonight and it was...weird? I didn't really feel the weight of the metanalysis right up until the very end, where it all came down at once and left me going "wait...what? Wha-wha did I just watch?"

I did kind of buy the character, because that kind of bizarre neuroses comes across as, like, possible. It's less in fashion now but I could see it. But she was also too alien for me to connect, so I could sort of see how I thought the emotional beats were intended to land, and was just like nope, movie ain't doing it for me. Then the ending just flipped everything around and now I'm confused.

There was an interview with a couple of the producers and one of them said Kon movies were kind of like trick movies. That...that was true for me on this one I think.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the 90s ova psycho diver is good fun. theoretically its about a man who dives into the psyche of people to help them, but in practice he does this once and the rest is good looking madhouse action scenes. in a stunning difference with modern anime, the love interest is not the idol hes rescuing, but the idols manager. the plot itself is nothing worth writing about, but it looks good and has good voice acting

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

the 90s ova psycho diver is good fun. theoretically its about a man who dives into the psyche of people to help them, but in practice he does this once and the rest is good looking madhouse action scenes. in a stunning difference with modern anime, the love interest is not the idol hes rescuing, but the idols manager. the plot itself is nothing worth writing about, but it looks good and has good voice acting

You have the pot

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watched a rough sub of the No Game No Life Zero movie and wow that was complete nonsense

I don't know who watched NGNL and thought this is what the fans want, a convoluted grim war story with a very uncomfortable romance and absolutely NO GAMES.

did they not read their own title, or was the zero in the title supposed to be a warning

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I watched a rough sub of the No Game No Life Zero movie and wow that was complete nonsense

I don't know who watched NGNL and thought this is what the fans want, a convoluted grim war story with a very uncomfortable romance and absolutely NO GAMES.

did they not read their own title, or was the zero in the title supposed to be a warning

It's the prequel backstory that sets up the next volume if they were to adapt it I believe. Since Blank just basically learn about that war, and then have to redo a simulation of it only without the tragic losses.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

It's the prequel backstory that sets up the next volume if they were to adapt it I believe. Since Blank just basically learn about that war, and then have to redo a simulation of it only without the tragic losses.
If they ever adapt that book then maybe it would be worth it since the only moments of light in that movie were the short comedy bits where Riku was allowed to be Sora for a few seconds. I wasn't bored by it and the animation was beautiful but the majority of it just didn't have any of what I loved from the show which made it so disappointing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I gave up on that movie when robo-sis showed up and immediately tried to get in rebel-bro's pants.

I went from having a fairly high interest in more content to negative interest in any future content.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a no game no life movie, that comes with the territory

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Leda: The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko. Pretty movie, nice use of pinks and greens. The animation is good but it lacks impact and looks very floaty. The fantasy mechanics designs and architecture are good, you get the feel.of a world in decline without it ever really being said. The plot is somewhat interesting when looked at from afar, the bad guy steals the main character's Walkman because the song inside contains a Goddess, but moment to moment it is very dull and I found myself wondering how long it would be until it was over. It sort of comes up with a theme near the end without really earning it. That's all that can be said about Leda: the Fantastic Adventure of Yohko

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Srice posted:

2) Your Name - Liked it but didn't love it. What can I add that hasn't already been said about the movie that has been seen so much it has raked in all that dough? Instead I'm just gonna wonder what Shinkai is up to with whatever he's planning next. Your Name felt like the culmination of that same theme he has been using time and time again for nearly two decades now. Is he gonna go at it again or try something new next time? I'm hoping for the latter but I'll also accept the former.

Having now seen Weathering With You he absolutely chose the former option, but the film dominated that he hasn't fully tapped that well dry yet either. But you can definitely feel it hitting a lot of the same story beats and, spoiler warning for the ending ends pretty much the same way with the two protagonists reconnecting years after he saved her life . Still it was very pretty and touching at times

MMania
May 7, 2008
I'm a year late as far as the theatrical run goes and months behind on the BluRay release, but I binged Sound! Euphonium this weekend and figured what the heck, might as well watch Liz and the Blue Bird since it's set after those and might have some bits that will lead into the fourth movie.

It absolutely blew me away. I've already watched it a half dozen times and I've caught new details each viewing, on top of the ones I've found scouring the internet for reviews/discussions. And none of those were blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments, someone had to make an entire video called "Why Fugu" for me to realize that this incredibly well crafted movie that mentioned fugu like 6 times had, y'know, a reason for doing so. Yes, I am really that dumb. What a masterclass in how to craft a story, despite (because?) the entirety of its plot being "two friends deepen their friendship." Even before watching this I've found myself often coming back to the despairing thought that Edgar Wright will never make an animated movie, even though his style of matching sounds to visuals would be perfect in a medium where you have total control over everything. And yet this is the first example of anime that I've come across where Every Single Sound is inextricably a part of the story. I'd love to heap more praise on Naoko Yamada but I'll go further and say that everyone involved obviously poured their soul into this 90 min side story about two background characters in an anime about a high school band.

Yamada loves putting in shots that pan away from the action every once in a while and show that the story is occurring in a big world that is completely obvious to the stuff that is oh-so-important to our main characters. Liz is a really deep dive into this idea: here are two characters that have their arc that serves a supporting role to Kumiko's development in Eupho who then fade into the background, but for them Kumiko is a minor player in their story. It's sad but not surprising to me that, in our post-MCU world, a movie like this has completely flown under most people's radar. I'm basically the target demo for this movie and four days ago I didn't know anything more than a vague idea of its existence.

I guess the tldr is more people should give this movie a shot, I'm so glad I did.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

Having now seen Weathering With You he absolutely chose the former option, but the film dominated that he hasn't fully tapped that well dry yet either. But you can definitely feel it hitting a lot of the same story beats and, spoiler warning for the ending ends pretty much the same way with the two protagonists reconnecting years after he saved her life . Still it was very pretty and touching at times

Anyone who expects otherwise is kidding themselves. Shinkai will never do anything different.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everyone's favorite lil hitler-chan is back for a new adventure in the youjo senki movie. this time her nemeses are world famous lavrenty beria and mary sue, neither of which manage to be all that interesting. in a rare feat for anime, the sound design is actually good rather than forgettable, nailing the harsh sounds of a war (movie). i enjoyed all the historical jokes and references, as well as all the womanlet jokes about tanya, although it was a shame that despite it no longer being a tv anime they still didn't depict her meth addiction. action was overall good, although the last big fight was rather hard to follow at times. there's some nice backgrounds and art in the movie, especially during the more maniacal moments of tanya, but the last third suffers from a lot of cgi during the big battle scenes. the backgrounds are forgiveable since theyre zipping around and you see most for half a second, but all the soldiers look like poo poo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

went to another film festival where i saw a couple of anime films first of which was penguin highway. surprisingly dull writing and badly paced, considering its from the same author as the night is short, tatami galaxy etc. perhaps cause the director is a rookie at longer anime features. it was also overly indulgent in someones fetish. visuals are good, but the movies length and pacing makes them a slog to sit through. also my pants were soaked thanks to a dickhead driving past me through a puddle on the way to the cinema, so i spend the whole movie in wet pants, miserable!

the second was a 5 minute short, Gaijin Sashimi, which isn't on mal cause theyre racist. just a nice painted tale of a man being taught how to make sashimi

the third was Chieri to Cherry, which is one of those puppet anime that air every season but nobody watches. visually rather impressive, i kept my eyes out for animation 'tricks' or mistakes and could find 0. outside of that its a decent kids anime, i liked it well enough

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gogeta! gogeta! gogeta!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched Human Lost in the theater a few weeks ago and it was like a boring fever dream brought about by doing a binge of assorted SMT games and reading No Longer Human until I pass out. If like me you've read No Longer Human you can be befuddled at its strange use of specific phrases from the book in entirely different (read: dull) contexts. The marketing played up the book's influence but what it ultimately means is: the characters in this movie have the same names as the characters from the book. It's a strange experience and what connections there are get stretched thin as hell. My favorite being that the guy in the book who introduces the narrator to drinking and prostitutes is, in this movie, a guy who turns people into literal monsters.

In a nutshell, the idea of a sci-fi take on No Longer Human (possibly the worst idea ever?? It's not like, say, The Count of Monte Cristo or anything that would be amenable to such a take) animated by Polygon Pictures was exactly as dire as my first reaction to the news led me to believe. It completely ignores the emotions driving the book and taken on its own as a sci-fi action movie it's middling at best.

If you're not familiar with the book then uhhh read it instead of watching this slog. It's an excellent book! It's real as hell! And if you have to experience it in anime form then just watch the first four episodes of Blue Literature instead. Human Lost is entirely too interested in its dull sci-fi infodumping, which comes at the expense of anything that feels human. And much like everything Polygon Pictures puts out I get a very detached feeling from everything happening on screen. It's not just the last-gen videogame quality CG, it's that the CG is directed in such a way that most of the action is a jarring mess that frequently lacks any impact. It's a little better than their Godzilla movies since none of the monsters look like giant turds so at this rate maybe by 2023 they'll put out a watchable original movie. Fingers crossed!

I'll give it props for one thing though, I've never seen an anime in a theater with such a well-behaved audience. Near complete silence. It was a miracle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was half asleep when I watched Human Lost at AX at 10 am, so I could imagine the audience was quiet due to being similarly lethargic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes is essentially a greatest hits album. A not insignificant number of action scenes have direct analogues in the show, merely repurposed with a new coat of paint. Even when the scenes are completely original they're still directed in a very 80s style akin to the original series. And much like many of the City Hunter OPs it climaxes with Ryo firing a single bullet to blow up a helicopter, although to modernize it just a little bit it's actually a helicopter-sized drone. This is not to say that it's bad, but rather that it's all it strives to be. A treat for those with nostalgia for the show. I wish it were more ambitious; as-is it's just a perfectly adequate action movie that's content to spend its time gazing upon the past. But hell I'm not gonna say I didn't get excited whenever it played one of the OP or ED themes from the original series.

Also I'm a big fan of how part of the ending credits run through some of the iconic moments from the tv series! I'd love to see other franchise films try that out, they have a lot to work with and it keeps the credits interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9URHYSQIU&t=59s

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how would it be for people who havent seen the series?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think it'd be a bad time but I do think it'd be much more enjoyable to just watch 4 or 5 episodes of the show instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

For some godforsaken reason I decided to watch the Osomatsu movie. The animation wasn't any better than the tv show. There was a decent thematic idea about getting over your embarrassing highschool past but it ended up kind of endorsing living in the past? The soundtrack was decent I guess. It's 30 minutes too long. They show flopping Osomatsu dick as a postcredits scene. That's all that can be said about the Osomatsu-san movie.