Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
rimworld is a game about building a colony on a hostile planet with the most broken and neurotic people in the galaxy. it's like dwarf fortress in that a lot of the fun comes from the emergent stories it creates. its dislike dwarf fortress in that its comprehensible to people who havent spent months learning it. were going to build our own utopia in space no matter how many mass graves it takes

heres the SA thread about it

OwlFancier posted:

The premise is that your three colonists have had their ship spontaneously explode, catapulting them away in escape pods, leading them to crash-land on an uncharted rim-world. You don't know what you'll find there, but chances are it won't be friendly. Your colonists have to survive, and thrive, on this new world, because you ain't getting back home any time soon.

The game plays sort of like a 2d dwarf fortress, but features a real-time combat engine more akin to what you'd expect in an x-com game. Your colonists (and enemies) will lean around corners, hide behind rocks and sandbags, and generally try to avoid getting shot.

Your opposition is twofold, the planet itself is not especially forgiving, you need food, and shelter, if you are to survive. The food situation is somewhat aided by your colonist's access to space-age technology, your primary food source is the nutrient paste dispenser, capable of turning any amount of vegetable matter into barely-edible yet perfectly nutritious goop. This reliance on technology, however, presents its own challenges, as your colony needs a constant supply of power to do much more than look pretty.

im going to play this like a dwarf fortress lp essentially. ill manage and build the fort with input from yall. you can also tell me what you want your own characters to do and ill have them do it. we could also do a legacy fort type thing where we take turns being the mayor by passing the save around

im playing with a lot of mods and debug tools enabled. most of the mods are quality of life(medical tab, better research tab) or just add more stuff(rimsenal). the most major mod is psychology which expands the characters "psyche" and makes social interactions more involved. it also makes the characters orientation based on the kinsey scale instead of requiring a trait in order to be gay. i only plan on using the debug tools to add new goon characters in or create more "fun"

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN

instead of just naming preexisting characters after yourself you can design your own person. ill outline the different parts of below but you dont have to describe your character in that much detail. just tell me a general description and ill make them as best as i can. at minimum give me a name, a few adjectives of personality, and a skill. feel free to make them as detailed as youd like though. im not going to use the point system, the only rules are dont make them a demi-god or completely useless

each character has the general stuff like name/nickname, age, and appearance. the game also has relationships, traits, skills, backstories, injuries, and prosthetics.

the psychology mod adds the following characteristics on a scale:

quote:

adventurousness, aggressive, ambitious, compassionate, competitive, confident, cool, creative, cultured, drug-friendly, emotional, empathetic, experimental, extroverted, friendly, geeky, generous, independent, intelligent, judgmental, laid-back, logical, moralistic, naive, nostalgic, optimistic, organized, outspoken, passionate, polite, pure, rational, romantic, spontaneous, thoughtful, trusting, upbeat, sex drive, romantic drive
there is also the kinsey scale rating for sexual orientation

skills are pretty self explanatory. the fire symbols mean you have a passion for it so you level it quicker

backstories describe what you did in childhood and adulthood. they give bonuses to skills or make you incapable of doing certain tasks

"incapable of" means you refuse to do those skills ever even if youre starving. this is determined by your backstory

ill start the game proper sometime saturday night. until then post your characters and any ideas you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make me a gay cannibal who loves to cook and make/take drugs and is heavy into robot body parts

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i'd like to be a heavily scarred bisexual nudist hunter

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
demented pansexual frontier doctor

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Can I be a gay scarred pyromaniac wimp with passions for growing and shooting? Grower backstory and a bionic eye to compensate for the firestarting pls

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make me a capitalist dictator who feeds prisoners the nutripaste remains of their fallen comrades

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I'm incapable of cleaning...

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

*looks around*

(Angrily) I thought you said this place was called rimworld??

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Make me a shy prince with no discernable skills

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Jose:

Animist:

Toyota Celica:

Feral Integral:

Taintrunner:

Cugel:

Mayor Dave: i had to give you some kind of skill so i made you a dull hardworking muscle man

i still havent started the actual game yet so i can modify the characters if yall want.

im also playing with the one big family mod. this increases the interrelations between characters so that when someone new shows up theyll likely be related to an existing person somehow.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Change industrious for trigger-happy and I will be ready to fight for gay space communism!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I wanna be cook I'm gonna make things delicious by any means necessary

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
great work can I be a man though

animist
Aug 28, 2018

perfect

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Sounds good to me

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Wildman:

also i made changes for taintrunner and cugel

i went ahead a started the game. i chose the starting three based on skills needed asap. dont worry if youre not present yet, your characters will show up eventually.

IT BEGINS

a spectre is haunting this world. the spectre of communism.

we are colonists of the revolutionary international people's vanguard party of north southwestern alberta (maoist). we have come to this planet to establish a communist society free from bourgeois dictatorship. unfortunately in route our ship was destroyed by my bookie capitalist swine.

we three crash landed with minimal supplies. we are uncertain of the whereabouts of our comrades but we know there are more out there.
our current group consists of cugel, an intelligent miner and builder, animist, a nudist hunter, and wildman, a chef who takes their field a bit too seriously.

we spent the first two days mining a small living and storage space into a nearby rock outcropping. we built a simple generator and freezer so we can store food. animist set to work hunting the local turkeys since the emergency rations would only last so long.

cugel has set about researching smithing and machining so that we can begin building more complicated machinery.

love can bloom even under the direst circumstances. animist and cugel have fallen in love

after a few days weve established a small outpost to be proud of. cugel suggested that we name our faction and settlement.

WHAT SHOULD WE NAME OURSELVES?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Uhh, the Potemkin Village People

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
we have decided to name ourselves The Potemkin Village People and our colony Carcosa, after a story from the old world about a legendary city of dreams.

all is not perfect though. the stress has gotten to cugel who had a minor breakdown and spent some time wandering by themselves. their main complaint was the uncomfortable conditions of life here. after spending the night with their lover cugel was feeling better. we decided to build some small cabins with basic climate control. not exactly luxurious but far better than a dank cave.

shortly after construction of the cabins began a bear decided to attack our loyal canine comrade nina. we ran to her defense in time to save her life. i have no proof but i am convinced this bear was part of a capitalist plot to undermine our efforts. once our forces are stronger i believe a purge of counter-revolutionary flora and fauna is in order

the meat from the slain bear should last us for a while.

nina lost a lot of blood. animist bandaged her up as well as possible but only time will tell if she pulls through. nina will have to recuperate outside though since we dont have a spare animal bed to place her in.

the capitalists of The Blue Boulder Union saw the failure of their last agent and decided to a more capable one. they underestimate us though and send only a single person. we rallied our forces and prepared for frog's assault.

we waited some time until we realized no assault was coming. shortly after arriving frog succumbed to pre-existing injuries. we didnt have a bed or medicine to spare on this class traitor and left him to his fate.

even the wildlife can see the justice of our cause. a local raccoon tamed itself and joined our community. welcome comrade raccoon.

we recently completed our research into smithing and decided to work on figuring out geothermal power generation. there is a geothermal vent nearby and if we can tame it we will have more power than we can use.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
add me as a brain damaged mob boss who loves to grow weed

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as dictator I command you weakling plebes to prepare weapons of war

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So a few notes about how your characters will arrive at the colony. If you signed up before the game started your character is in the world somewhere and will come eventually but I have no control of when.

Anyone who signs up now I'll add as new non-goon characters arrive. This involves me editing the save file and using the debug tools. The game is designed to be modded though so this isn't as complicated as it sounds

I'm mentioning this because a new character arrived that isn't a goon yet. I'm going to make this one cumshitter even though they just signed up.

I realize now I should have just created generic characters and assigned them as people joined. Sorry about that :shrug:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
add me as one of those primitive technology YouTube dudes, good at building poo poo but absolutely refusing to use any modern technology whatever (when anyone is looking).

shirts optional

pre-civilization tribal societies were extremely communist, right???

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

You'll find me in Flavor Country

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

in the middle of the night an escape pod fell from the sky. its pilot was Maria "Cumshitter" Franklin, mother of our own Cugel Franklin and member of the hostile group The Deadbeats. despite her being a nominal enemy we could not leave our friends mother to die.

we held her in a makeshift prison hospital while she recuperated.

while there we slowly convinced her of the immortal science of marxism-leninism-maoism.

finally, after a few days of re-education, she joined our cause.

she does have certain limitations

and will occasionally disassociate

but still she is a welcome member of the cause.

besides cumshitter, two other people arrived.

an injured man by the name of nate who we are currently treating

and a wildling by the name of 100 HOGS AGREE. HOGS appears to be some kind of survivalist and is living off the land to the west of our base. they dont seem to mean us harm so for the time being were letting them roam freely. we could try capturing them and re-educating them though this may not go well

we built a small rec room and dining area

we also had a group of traders stay for a few days. we traded the pair of pants animist refuses to wear for some jerky.

cugel proposed to animist after about a week of dating. it did not go over well.

beyond that we also harvested our first crop of rice, had a minor electrical fire, started growing the drug psychite, killed a raider from the deadbeats, and wildman suffered a minor injury from a wild boar.

WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
should we try and tame the wildling HOGS?
should we build accommodations for guests?
should we start producing goods for trade?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MORE GUESTS. MORE MOUTHS FOR THE FEAST.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
seems to be a lot of sex and violence happening to me, which is cool

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I want to be a bisexual shipwrecked space sailor in the space Navy who likes researching, and hates drugs.

Also we should build more guest houses... To serve more guests

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
build accommodations!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i would like to be extremely hard to kill, not good at anything useful and incapable of intellectual

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want a robot leg and a penchant for wild animal rape

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

and a pet bird

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I don't care, just put me in there

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
should we try and tame the wildling HOGS?
should we build accommodations for guests?
should we start producing goods for trade?

Yes.
Yes.
Beer, smokeleaf, yayo and flake!

Stone walls are nice too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

make me an alcoholic and angry old cyborg plz

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
shouldn't I only be capable of dumb labor not incapable of it? lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good thing that heart is bionic because its going to take a beating from all the yayo and flake

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

shouldn't I only be capable of dumb labor not incapable of it? lol

you did say you were only incapable of using tech when nobody was looking. your character was harder to edit because you arent a full colonist yet, just a visitor.

UPDATE

we expanded our production facilities and built a small barracks for visitors. encouraging visitors will hopefully lead to more trade and new colonists. also pictured is cumshitter suffering from food poisoning.

we received a panicked call from a man by the name of Fred Dawes. Fred had angered our enemies The Deadbeats, he was a bit tight lipped as to how, and was begging us for shelter. we were hesitant to offer sanctuary since it would involve fighting off three Deadbeats fighters. as we were about tell him no cugel recognized the voice as that of his father. well gently caress.

we were able to kill the raiders will little injury.

Fred Dawes is a talented doctor and scientist with ties to two of our colonists.

a day later The Deadbeats attacked again in retribution. this time they came with firearms instead of just knives. this is the first time i was actually worried about a raid. we only have two guns in total and no one is very capable in melee

it was a tough fight that resulted in gunshot wounds for cugel and Fred Dawes. the weapons we took from the raiders will be a boon but we need to strengthen our defenses. we decided to begin constructing a gate with embrasures in the wall to allow us to fire through.

we noticed the wildling HOGS near death due to the freezing nights. we decided we needed to rescue him.

the nut didnt come easily and animist had to shoot him in self defense.

luckily the shot was to the shoulder but HOGS has severe hypothermia.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm about to finish out the year and I'll post an update tonight hopefully.

I've settled on how I'm going to assign new characters. Since people show up but there's no guarantee that they'll survive or join I'm not going to name and change them until they're actually a member of the colony. There names will appear different in early screenshots but it's better than assigning someone for them to then die.

Also, cugel is a sensitive motherfucker. They're constantly at "major risk" of breakdown because their room isn't nice enough

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I'm very sensitive and need beers and joints to heal the pain and loneliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

good thing that heart is bionic because its going to take a beating from all the yayo and flake

go-juice is where its at, nothing like watching pets get so loving high on military stims that they go insane and massacre your entire colony