Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

star eater posted:

honestly i got tricked into watching mary poppins returns and i loved it so i’m garbage.

but i mostly just am super hot for emily blunt tho

I don't think Mary Poppins Returns is terrible garbage, but it looks like a highly derivative revival with zero artistic merit and that bothers me. Julie Andrews explicitly wanted nothing to do with the movie and that says something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is pretty dumb but I think everything having to do with Mary Poppins Returns sucks and it's a movie that shouldn't exist.

There were a handful of books, though I don't know if the movies follow the same plot. The movie was good, and cute, and definitely deserved to exist a lot more than many movies.

But that particular scene was crap and I think specifically chosen for a GMA audience because it seemed an awful lot like his Hamilton raps, which also seemed designed to appeal to the GMA crowd in the first place so it kind of makes sense. Still I would've showcased a scene from the Big Ben part.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
at first i didnt like the idea of there being a huge fandom for the founding fathers as if tumblr was taken over by suburban white middle school teachers. but then that fandom introduced a feud between a "cannibal mermaid au" fanfic writer and someone who faked having aids

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I got free tickets to hamilton and I saw it and it made me really uncomfortable as a black dude because I only saw like 4 other black people there and it had a really strange minstrel show-esque vibe. besides that it was sort of mediocre and I feel the stagecraft suffered as dancing played a large part in the performance which i was not a fan of so let's loving beat him up!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah I want to shatter a glass ceiling

With Lin Manuel Miranda standing directly underneath it :twisted:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I hate Hamilton the musical but I’m glad it means we get to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill due to his resurging popularity. :10bux: Hamilton is fine as hell.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Cubone posted:

well I'm rapping to the beat, and rapping in a good mood,
wash and dry the dishes when you finish your food,
finish all your homework and don't talk back,
that's what we say in the Hamilton rap!

I heard that the "rapping" in Hamilton is basically like this? Is that true? Because if so, holy poo poo lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If Lin Manuel Miranda got drunk and crashed into a tree I'd mourn the tree.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Julius CSAR posted:

I heard that the "rapping" in Hamilton is basically like this? Is that true? Because if so, holy poo poo lol

the rapping was better than this but seeing hamilton rap battle jefferson on the powers the fed. government should have made me realize that rap is dead

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I don't think Mary Poppins Returns is terrible garbage, but it looks like a highly derivative revival with zero artistic merit and that bothers me. Julie Andrews explicitly wanted nothing to do with the movie and that says something.

well i read the reason andrews didn’t cameo was cause she wanted blunt to rock the house on her own. this paints a picture opposite of “explicitly wanted nothing to do with it” but maybe i’m real bad at reading and the subtext is she was like gently caress off

http://www.darkhorizons.com/andrews-wont-cameo-in-mary-poppins-returns/

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

star eater posted:

honestly i got tricked into watching mary poppins returns and i loved it so i’m garbage.

but i mostly just am super hot for emily blunt tho

In a better world after Edge of Tomorrow and Fury Road Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron would go on to become Schwarzenegger and Stallone for a new era rather than staring in bottom rung disney nostalgia-grabs and diablo cody films.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Moon Atari posted:

Im not sure what exact incident you are describing (or its relevance), but the murder of Kitty Genovese occurred in 1964 and remains the textbook example of the Bystander Effect.

AKSHUALLY this is a myth:

https://www.npr.org/2016/06/16/482313144/the-witness-exposes-the-myths-misconceptions-of-kitty-genoveses-murder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese#Accuracy_of_original_reports

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lin Manuel Miranda was cool as a weird manic Puerto Rican in House but I can't name a single other thing he did of note besides Hamilton. And Hamilton was garbage because it's nerdcore and nerdcore sucks balls.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

piratepilates posted:

I haven't seen Hamilton. I don't know if it's good or bad. I don't know much about Lin Manuel Miranda.

I just have one question for you: do you think this is good? or bad?

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1075023636854009857

wow i'm genuinely suprised to see animated penguins on broadway. a small step for musical theater, a giant leap for toon representation.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

underthecube posted:

at first i didnt like the idea of there being a huge fandom for the founding fathers as if tumblr was taken over by suburban white middle school teachers. but then that fandom introduced a feud between a "cannibal mermaid au" fanfic writer and someone who faked having aids

Haha yeah me too, I extremely know what this means.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

piratepilates posted:

I haven't seen Hamilton. I don't know if it's good or bad. I don't know much about Lin Manuel Miranda.

I just have one question for you: do you think this is good? or bad?

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1075023636854009857

:chloe:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Tone and Paulie should've hosed em up when he backmouthed them in the episode of the sopranos

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrRk5YNAh00

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2019

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Which is worse: that accent, that singing, or that outfit?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Lin Manuel Miranda is basically acting like most people would if they were suddenly, bafflingly famous and hailed as a genius; but that said, it's been like 3 years now, he needs to settle down.

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

meet girls at the store posted:

I hate Hamilton the musical but I’m glad it means we get to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill due to his resurging popularity. :10bux: Hamilton is fine as hell.

My man John Quincy Adams needs to be on a bill.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i am all for dealing with our problematic history by just rewriting it. i hope he makes a civil war musical where jefferson davis and robert e lee are played by black guys having a breakdancing competition

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018

ELI PORTER posted:

Haha yeah me too, I extremely know what this means.

quote:

In 2016, one or more Hamilton fans began the hivliving tumblr to raise issues about living with HIV positive status.[1] It was recommended by many on Tumblr and Twitter as a good source of info on HIV+ issues. [2] It was thought to be run by two people: Israa, a nonbinary Chinese-Pakistani human trafficking survivor living in India and the other, Naj, a US born lesbian of color also living in India.[3]

Please it only gets better from there

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hmm yeah, it's me a goon who is enlightened and totally above the show that sells out in every city and won dozens of awards. It's bad because it's popular, you see.

"It's popular so it must be good" would be an effective argument except white people exist

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Despite thinking someone needs to beat the man up, I also kind of respect him finding a way to get tasteless white people to pay $2k a seat to hear someone go "my name's Alex Hamilton and I'm here to say, I support a National Bank in everyway".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Someone does need to beat him up, but because his support helped get PROMESA passed

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i am all for dealing with our problematic history by just rewriting it. i hope he makes a civil war musical where jefferson davis and robert e lee are played by black guys having a breakdancing competition

The career of Andrew Jackson, but he’s reimagined as a queer Latina woman.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
lol who could possibly have questioned the provenance of such people as

quote:

Israa, a nonbinary Chinese-Pakistani human trafficking survivor living in India and the other, Naj, a US born lesbian of color also living in India.[3]
Like, what the gently caress does any of that have to do with a lovely hip-hop musical? These people are crazy, and more than that disgustingly selfish to point of creating these characters to justify their Hamilton fanfiction. Jesus, tumblr is loving terrible

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hey, OP: fly a kite, bitch.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Since the role of Aaron Burr is typecast to be played by a strong male of African decent* in Hamilton this is really a self fulfilling prophecy.

*a "superpredator" as prefaced by The Abuela.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just hate how a dude that bought and sold slaves turned into a woke icon.

Wonder if the dude regrets that now; nobody know how huge this would get, least of all him.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Remulak posted:

I just hate how a dude that bought and sold slaves turned into a woke icon.

Wonder if the dude regrets that now; nobody know how huge this would get, least of all him.

read this as wondering if Alexander Hamilton regrets buying and selling slaves, having not realized that America would get so huge

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I tried listening to the Hamilton soundtrack since my daughter liked it and I couldn't get through 30 seconds because it was so corny. This is what everyone was falling over themselves for in 2016? Truly baffling.

I will say Daveed Diggs deserved to get a movie/TV career out of the gig, so there's that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Laterite posted:

I tried listening to the Hamilton soundtrack since my daughter liked it and I couldn't get through 30 seconds because it was so corny. This is what everyone was falling over themselves for in 2016? Truly baffling.

I will say Daveed Diggs deserved to get a movie/TV career out of the gig, so there's that.

It's just a musical. People go apeshit over some musical every decade. 80s has Cats. 90s Rent. 00s Spring Awakening. And now, what's my name man? Alexander Hamilton.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
00s might think it has Spring Awakening, but it has Avenue Q

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hot take: Book of Mormon opened in February 2011 but I'm willing to count it as the '00s

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

he makes toothless garbage for rich centrist libs

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

ELI PORTER posted:

correct, glad we see eye to eye on this. maybe the Marines is a bit much, maybe just a couple of hired goons to "tune him up" or something would suffice

this need to be joint operation with the marines and couple of hired goons

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
He was good on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just a musical. People go apeshit over some musical every decade. 80s has Cats. 90s Rent. 00s Spring Awakening. And now, what's my name man? Alexander Hamilton.

The songs are absolutely cornier than the 80s musical about cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
gbs loves starlight express because it's about trains.