Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
No permission slip? Detention.

Detention never seemed that bad, though. It's just getting homework out of the way and then reading/bullshitting with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

spacetoaster posted:

There are kids who only get food (regularly at least) at school. So having a kid not get the school breakfast/lunch is not allowed, and this is beaten into our heads as a thing that should not happen.

Which would be fine if I wasn't requesting to skip lunch every day. I guess I never understood the problem in being allowed to do something, but choosing not to do it. I even had a boss get on my rear end about skipping lunch! I had to pull up state laws on the matter to get her to stop nannying how I use my drat free time.

I ATE THREE HOURS AGO. I SIT AT A DESK ALL DAY. I'M NOT HUNGRY.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

central dogma posted:

Bring back the slap bracelets!

These were banned from my first US school. I had mine taken away. I also lost a toy gun when I presented it for show and tell as my favorite thing(everyone was assigned the task). I was beyond puzzled and I'm sure it showed because in mid-lecture, my teacher sighed and accepted that I had no clue what I did wrong. I brought it to show my compassion for Knight Rider and fulfill my future as an agent for Knight Industries. GOD.

For a little taste of school in DDR East Germany, I had an audio cassette of ...poo poo, I think it was the Buggles. Any music from the west was a no-no and had that taken away, too. Had the whole union thing not been near its end, I think that poo poo I pulled would have been a bigger deal with legal reprimand.

Age of Plastic sent my fam to the gulag. Video killed more than the radio star.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Got a bunch of mainly petty stuff really.

Mid 90's Uk Junior School (age 7-11)

Football (soccer) was only allowed to be played at break time with sponge balls. When it rained the balls became heavy and soaked with dirty water.
At one point in the 90s it became a popular craze (at least in my school) to use long skipping ropes, and I mean 4m+ long ropes that made it difficult for kids to even rotate them.
Many kids using the ropes would get hit by heavy/wet muddy sponge balls out of no where or collided into by football players who were watching the ball instead if where they were going. Vice versa football players or anyone running around playing tag etc were tripping and badly hurting themselves on these long stretched out ropes.
Answer was to ban football, running games like tag and moving at anything more than a light jog instead of these hugely stupid ropes that could barely be rotated of course.

In the height of summer you couldn't play on the playground after you had eaten at lunchtime, you had to go onto the school field and could not leave it once on. This field had very little shade and no access to water with the only drinks fountain being on the playground.
In the last 5 minutes of the lunchtime you were allowed back on the playground before the bell for class was rung. Imagine 400 kids after sweating buckets running around on an open field during the hottest part of the day and year storming towards this lonely fountain. Chances are no drink for you and you weren't allowed to drink in class many suffered from dehydration. Yes kids would pass out.

We had to learn and know the lord's prayer off by heart And I mean learn it! There was at one point for 10-15 minutes during the weekly school assembly where we would focus and learn about one line from the lords prayer at a time.
This all came about because at Christmas it was traditional one morning to all go to a local Church for a special Service. A teacher took exception one year that most of the kids couldn't recite the Lords Prayer during the service (UK church attendance has been dwindling for years and for many kids this was the only time they ever went to Church) so as punishment (after screaming and shouting at us at the next assembly for "embarrassing the school") we would be learning everything about it and there would be trouble if you couldn't recite it when he asked you.

No Simpsons T-Shirts still because Bart is a bad role model. Again mid 90's, not 1991. The moral panic was over.

Late 90's Secondary School (aged 11-16)

Standard UK uniform rules enforced - Your tie had to reach a certain length down your shirt. Teachers walked around with rulers to measure. Girlst had to wear at minimum knee length skirts all year around (relaxed in my last few years there).

Sports day every year was mandatory to attend but not to compete. Out of a thousand pupils probably less than 20% would compete in one or two events so you were stuck hanging around for 6 hours waiting to be let go for the day. Not allowed inside.

There were two buildings built at separate times connected by a single 10m corridor only the teachers could use. Getting caught walking through it was detention. Pupils had to walk around the perimeter outside to get to the other building.

Not allowed inside in buildings before class and during breaks whatever the weather. exception being your tutor rooms during lunch - tutor class often banned from their room as someone left a half eaten crisp on a table or something.

Being seen smoking outside school grounds after school could result in lunchtime detentions depending on the teacher. even if you were 16 and thus at the time was legal to smoke. Had friends who were seen during weekends and punished the following Monday.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In middle school I had a typing speed of 140 WPM and the teacher was super cool so he'd just let me play video games on the computer during typing class while all of the other kids were trying to learn how to not hunt and peck. But then I got to high school and there was like a mandatory "How To Be a Secretary" class where the grade was like 90% typing speed/accuracy and 10% how to write memos and how to do clever poo poo in Microsoft Word to be a better secretary. Well I didn't know every single arcane mystery of Microsoft Word so I was told that I wasn't allowed to pass out.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I was a wannabe 4chan hacker so I started fakebragging to a kid in my CS class in 12th grade about how I totally hacked the school gradebook. The new teacher (old guy but the previous teacher quit and they tossed him into the class) overheard and apparently freaked out. I didn't realize this until a few hours later when the principal, some IT guy, and our school police officer came into my class and pulled me out.

The important thing to note is that because I was a nerd, I was in almost all computer classes, including a network engineering course and an independent study class where my project was to demonstrate wifi cracking. So the IT guy starts looking through the computer I was using and flips out about all the horrible stuff I had on my totally-off-the-network PC.

This resulted in three weeks of suspension and being banned from all computers until I graduated. Since something like 6 of my 8 courses were computer related, this resulted in a lot of F grades and hosed up my GPA. There was also one of those metal fire safe boxes (for keeping paperwork and stuff safe) that had some routers in it that I kept locked but the power cord was running out of it and into the wall. That really upset everyone because they knew something was in there but never realized that they could just pick the lock.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Richard M Nixon posted:

I was a wannabe 4chan hacker so I started fakebragging to a kid in my CS class in 12th grade about how I totally hacked the school gradebook. The new teacher (old guy but the previous teacher quit and they tossed him into the class) overheard and apparently freaked out. I didn't realize this until a few hours later when the principal, some IT guy, and our school police officer came into my class and pulled me out.

The important thing to note is that because I was a nerd, I was in almost all computer classes, including a network engineering course and an independent study class where my project was to demonstrate wifi cracking. So the IT guy starts looking through the computer I was using and flips out about all the horrible stuff I had on my totally-off-the-network PC.

This resulted in three weeks of suspension and being banned from all computers until I graduated. Since something like 6 of my 8 courses were computer related, this resulted in a lot of F grades and hosed up my GPA. There was also one of those metal fire safe boxes (for keeping paperwork and stuff safe) that had some routers in it that I kept locked but the power cord was running out of it and into the wall. That really upset everyone because they knew something was in there but never realized that they could just pick the lock.
Richard M Nixon, brought down by a lie. Unprecedented.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

central dogma posted:

Bring back the slap bracelets!

Some use a strip of metal that's sharp as poo poo along the edge and will cut the gently caress out of dumb kids.

I'm pretty sure that's why schools banned them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Richard M Nixon posted:

Why didn't your parents threaten to burn the school down?

I've seen parents win the "right" for their teen daughters to wear sheer, skin-tight body suits to school because of "sexist dress codes". I can't imagine your parents couldn't have gotten that punishment at least lowered by complaining for you being punished for a hacking that didn't even happen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This isn't really a rule particularly but I think it belongs here:

I was a "smart kid" in middle and high-school not a scholastically great student but a snotty know-it-all. When I was a sophomore I heard punk music for the first time and suffice it to say I basically went from kind of a dick to authority figures to an all out son-of-a-bitch in all dealings with teachers and administrators. This culminated with the strangest experience I ever had vis-a-vis school. After I told my english teacher to gently caress off when told that I should have read A Separate Peace I was later called into the multi-use room in the library. There I was quite literally in the middle of a circle of chairs with each of my teachers and the assistant principle looking at me. Like some kind of cult poo poo or something. They proceeded to tell me what a piece of poo poo I was and how my behavior was total trash. I was loving bewildered that they actually sat a fourteen year old kid in the middle of a bunch of adults and took turns insulting him.

Until I moved to a new town and a new school I didn't go to a single class after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

I basically spent a year of high school holding my dumps until I got home, then during junior year my friend pointed out that the nurses’ office had a single-use bathroom with a door you could close and lock, and they’d let you use it if you asked them.

My wife also told me that the graduating class before hers got in trouble for their senior prank, which involved jamming like 20,000 plastic spoons into the school’s front lawn so they were standing straight up. The administration freaked the gently caress out over this and started angrily threatening to cancel prom and were even trying to make sure that the kids who did it wouldn’t be allowed to graduate, but they backed down when the parents collectively told them to gently caress off

American schools are really dumb

i don't think that our class got in trouble for setting up a giant inflatable dick on top of the auditorium that shot out condoms in little white wrappers all over the lawn, which was supposed to go off during lunch but like a janitor found the string that triggered the inflation mechanism and pulled it so it went off early when no one was watching and when everyone came out for lunch it was just a partially-deflated cock and some condom wrappers all over the ground

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Some use a strip of metal that's sharp as poo poo along the edge and will cut the gently caress out of dumb kids.

I'm pretty sure that's why schools banned them.

My wife wanted to be Finn/Fiona from Adventure Time and she basically made a slap bracelet out of an old roll of measuring tape and then designed a greenish cloth sword-looking sleeve for it. So she could flick her wrist and then a green grass-looking sword would flip out. It was loving rad

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slavik posted:

Late 90's Secondary School (aged 11-16)

Same, but all boys school.
Hair had to be cut to appropriate length. A class mate came back from summer with long grunge (as was the style) hair, was told to cut it the next day.
Came in next day with whole hair shaved. Was suspended for the 'sass' of getting it cut 'too much'.
His parents loving went mental, came in, and the teacher who suspended him had to apologize.
Our hair cuts were not mentioned or questioned after this.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Papa Emeritus III posted:

These were banned from my first US school. I had mine taken away. I also lost a toy gun when I presented it for show and tell as my favorite thing(everyone was assigned the task). I was beyond puzzled and I'm sure it showed because in mid-lecture, my teacher sighed and accepted that I had no clue what I did wrong. I brought it to show my compassion for Knight Rider and fulfill my future as an agent for Knight Industries. GOD.
Uh, actually Wilton Knight was against the use of guns, which is why Michael never carried one and KITT wasn't equipped with offensive weaponary. Some fan you are.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Skipping meals is unhealthy. You need to spend lunchtime eating lunch, not trying to finish homework at school so you have more time for gaming at home.

Why are so many goons still bitter about getting reprimanded for breaking the rules years ago?

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Sunswipe posted:

Uh, actually Wilton Knight was against the use of guns, which is why Michael never carried one and KITT wasn't equipped with offensive weaponary. Some fan you are.

I was under 10 years old and associated the very few scenes of gun pointing to conclude that they were packing. I also couldn't get every episode in Germany so my lore knowledge was flawed. :eng99:

You couldn't take the little viewfinder out of my hands, though. I had a pile of random single Knight Rider discs that didn't follow each other at all.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I was under 10 years old and associated the very few scenes of gun pointing to conclude that they were packing. I also couldn't get every episode in Germany so my lore knowledge was flawed. :eng99:

You couldn't take the little viewfinder out of my hands, though. I had a pile of random single Knight Rider discs that didn't follow each other at all.

Knight Rider was big here in repeats on Kabel 1. My grandad watched it religiously. The German dub was awful at best.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Which once again proves my theory: Germans love David Hasselhof.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Toy gun stuff really depends on the teacher.

Had a kid bring an obvious (big orange plastic thing) toy gun for show and tell and the teacher made a big deal out of it and it ended up being on the news, and the administrator sent an email out to parents assuring them that the school was super safe and they were "dealing" with the perpetrator, etc, etc.

If it had been one of the kids in my class I would have told him to put it back in his backpack and to not bring it back to school.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

Which once again proves my theory: Germans love David Hasselhof.

We also love Bud Spencer, after whom we named a public swimming pool after.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Toy gun stuff really depends on the teacher.

Had a kid bring an obvious (big orange plastic thing) toy gun for show and tell and the teacher made a big deal out of it and it ended up being on the news, and the administrator sent an email out to parents assuring them that the school was super safe and they were "dealing" with the perpetrator, etc, etc.

If it had been one of the kids in my class I would have told him to put it back in his backpack and to not bring it back to school.

Won't you get in trouble for not having zero tolerance

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
This is a real story. So right after 9/11 in my highschool, they drew a big white painted line around the whole school.
Before this we could go outside during lunch, hang out in the woods around the school (this was in the boonies way in upstate NY, 120 kids per grade, 3000 people in the entire town)

So one day they have a big gathering in the auditorium, to announce the purpose of this line. They had this whole super serious spiel about how this is a new era, how nothing is safe anymore, and that we can no longer go outside during lunch or breaks. We are never to cross the white line due to Terrorism™. They even told us, and I swear on all that is unholy, that we are at risk of snipers taking us out if we cross that line. I made a complete mockery of this and even got suspended for laughing out loud whenever this was brought up.

I know this was mainly done so kids stopped smoking in the woods outside of the school but it was just downright insulting that they took the students for such fools.

I don't think anyone took the entire school administration seriously after they pulled that poo poo. Honestly such a shame since there was great scenery and woods around the school.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Voltage posted:

This is a real story. So right after 9/11 in my highschool, they drew a big white painted line around the whole school.
Before this we could go outside during lunch, hang out in the woods around the school (this was in the boonies way in upstate NY, 120 kids per grade, 3000 people in the entire town)

So one day they have a big gathering in the auditorium, to announce the purpose of this line. They had this whole super serious spiel about how this is a new era, how nothing is safe anymore, and that we can no longer go outside during lunch or breaks. We are never to cross the white line due to Terrorism™. They even told us, and I swear on all that is unholy, that we are at risk of snipers taking us out if we cross that line. I made a complete mockery of this and even got suspended for laughing out loud whenever this was brought up.

I know this was mainly done so kids stopped smoking in the woods outside of the school but it was just downright insulting that they took the students for such fools.

I don't think anyone took the entire school administration seriously after they pulled that poo poo. Honestly such a shame since there was great scenery and woods around the school.

This story is a pretty good microcosm of the gov't passing the patriot act.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had a 0 tolerance policy at school and some kids jumped me in the school yard so instead of fighting back or trying to get a teacher I just ran home and waited for my folks. The school tried to suspend me for leaving school grounds so my parents raised unholy hell until the school refunded the years tuition and I transfered away.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

snack eater posted:

Won't you get in trouble for not having zero tolerance

I play this at full volume on a boombox as I walk down the hall to my kindergarten class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvpGGc9Jv8

Voltage posted:

That's as dumb as putting up 100 feet of chain link fence in a straight line in front of the school. Why, I asked? For security.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

snack eater posted:

Skipping meals is unhealthy. You need to spend lunchtime eating lunch, not trying to finish homework at school so you have more time for gaming at home.

Why are so many goons still bitter about getting reprimanded for breaking the rules years ago?

You probably don't need the whole hour to eat though, doing homework in the time remaining instead of goofing off seems good and productive

I don't think that OP was angry about it just reminiscing over some very stupid a counterproductive rules

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Slavik posted:

We had to learn and know the lord's prayer off by heart And I mean learn it! There was at one point for 10-15 minutes during the weekly school assembly where we would focus and learn about one line from the lords prayer at a time.
This all came about because at Christmas it was traditional one morning to all go to a local Church for a special Service. A teacher took exception one year that most of the kids couldn't recite the Lords Prayer during the service (UK church attendance has been dwindling for years and for many kids this was the only time they ever went to Church) so as punishment (after screaming and shouting at us at the next assembly for "embarrassing the school") we would be learning everything about it and there would be trouble if you couldn't recite it when he asked you.

So like did you go to some kind of "special" school or something? Like I get it didnt have religious upbringing but poo poo son it is like 14 lines and you were practicing it 15 minutes a week how could you not memorize that lmao

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
When I first started high school (mid '90s), they had an outdoor smokers' lounge which students could use, provided they:

a. Attended some stop-smoking class

b. Had their parents' permission (which in turn would require having parents who were okay with their child smoking, the idea of which even back then had me thinking "Seriously, WTF?")

It was shut down when someone realized that it was probably not a good idea for a school to condone illegal activity (such as underage smoking) among its students in any context.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

one time i vandalized a bunch of wikipedia pages from a school computer. i did it anonymously so it recorded my IP. some insane wiki admin tracked the IP and called the phone number linked to it, which led to the school district, which then led to IT people at my school tracing the vandalism to my login. so i had to go into a meeting with my parents, the principal, and vice-principal as they solemnly pulled out printouts of version comparisons of the wiki articles where i had written "PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS" etc. this isn't a dumb school rule it's just a funny as hell thing to have gotten in trouble for

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

one time i vandalized a bunch of wikipedia pages from a school computer. i did it anonymously so it recorded my IP. some insane wiki admin tracked the IP and called the phone number linked to it, which led to the school district, which then led to IT people at my school tracing the vandalism to my login. so i had to go into a meeting with my parents, the principal, and vice-principal as they solemnly pulled out printouts of version comparisons of the wiki articles where i had written "PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS" etc. this isn't a dumb school rule it's just a funny as hell thing to have gotten in trouble for

holy poo poo owned lmao

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

goethe.cx posted:

Lmao that loving rules.

We also used library time to vandalize wikipedia and ended up getting our school IP banned for it.

Blew my mind how fast some nerd would figure out that a dumb highschool's wiki page had been changed to say that the football team all had secret orgies in the locker room or whatever

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My best friend got an ISS for slapping a boy who grabbed her rear end. The boy got a stern talking to because he had cancer at one time and we all had to be “nice”, despite that kid, cancer or not, being a huge rear end in a top hat.

I used to get dinged for dress code nonsense because of my chest. They’d call home trying to get my mom to bring over more “appropriate” clothing, but since my mom was a working single mother, I got to the answering machine before she did, and somehow calling her at work or on her mobile was just...not thought of I guess. My mom also didn’t really give that much of a poo poo when she did find out, as it was a miracle that I was in class to begin with.

I think they stopped giving a poo poo about the dress code around senior year because kids were coming into class sky high on their parents oxycontin and perhaps, that was a bit more disruptive to the learning process.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Back in the day we could spend our lunch break in the computer room messing around and for some reason they even gave students network drives with a lot of space so we would often just download PC games to play networked or play flash games or whatever. Same thing in computer classes if you finished the work early, as long as you didn't cause any trouble they didn't care what you did. After Columbine happened and the paranoia of violent games like Doom as a cause became mainstream views all that changed, even a simple flash game from CandyStand was banned. Rule changes about wearing trenchcoats or all-black clothing and nonsense like that. At the time I didn't think much of it really but looking back it's very obvious to see just how much things changed after the tragedy.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I got a dress code violation in middle school and was forced to change into some random, giant t-shirt for the rest of the day because my shirt was offensive and promoted violence . It featured a stern stick figure and the words 'girls kick butt' on it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I got detention for 2 days in 6th grade for having terrible handwriting. She said I was being disrespectful or something and that was the rule I broke, and she made me practice with those notebooks they give you in like kindergarten to learn how to draw letters the whole time while lecturing me about how I won't be able to get a job without excellent script handwriting.

My handwriting still hasn't improved much to this day and have been told trump's signature is even more legible than mine. Still ended up getting a job, so "have legible handwriting" is a dumb rule.

If you are really successful, and if she's still alive, I suggest writing her a letter now telling her how your handwriting hasn't held you back one bit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

When I first started high school (mid '90s), they had an outdoor smokers' lounge which students could use, provided they:

a. Attended some stop-smoking class

b. Had their parents' permission (which in turn would require having parents who were okay with their child smoking, the idea of which even back then had me thinking "Seriously, WTF?")

It was shut down when someone realized that it was probably not a good idea for a school to condone illegal activity (such as underage smoking) among its students in any context.

lol for real someone should have petitioned for a liquor cabinet in the smoking lounge

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Original_Z posted:

Back in the day we could spend our lunch break in the computer room messing around and for some reason they even gave students network drives with a lot of space so we would often just download PC games to play networked or play flash games or whatever. Same thing in computer classes if you finished the work early, as long as you didn't cause any trouble they didn't care what you did. After Columbine happened and the paranoia of violent games like Doom as a cause became mainstream views all that changed, even a simple flash game from CandyStand was banned. Rule changes about wearing trenchcoats or all-black clothing and nonsense like that. At the time I didn't think much of it really but looking back it's very obvious to see just how much things changed after the tragedy.

I tried to be an edge lord in highschool and wore a black trench coat every day. Let me tell you it was an awkward month when columbian happned

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Nooner posted:

So like did you go to some kind of "special" school or something? Like I get it didnt have religious upbringing but poo poo son it is like 14 lines and you were practicing it 15 minutes a week how could you not memorize that lmao

Nah it wasn't a special religious school, not even a catholic school. The most we really did religious wise was sing hymns during assembly and maybe say a prayer or two during it. Think that was standard back then. lt wasn't in any other part of school life.

The 15 minutes wasn't just memorising but being told the meaning behind "Give us this day our daily bread" - why bread, whats the significance, why daily etc etc. A new line each week.
Every kids physical but inaudible sigh and shift in body language when that teacher stood up to give their "lesson" was a sight to behold.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

snack eater posted:

I'd guess instances where your sense of justice is offended during your formative years tend to stay with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Junior high is the worst time for bullshit rules. One I avoided but my younger brother got to experience was "one-way hallways", instituted by an idiot principal. The upper floor of the school (where 90% of the classes were) was laid out in a big square, and even if your next classroom door was just to the left of the classroom you were currently in, you would still have to waste time going all the way around the whole loop to the right just to get back to that class that you were right next to in the first place. Also, you only had 3 minutes of passing time and teachers would yell at you if you didn't take care of bathroom stuff between classes. Trying to navigate the hallways, use the bathroom, and get to class on time was basically Mission: Impossible.

One rule I did get to experience was only getting to use your lockers 3 times a day: before school, at lunch, and after school. This meant that you could have your arms full of big, heavy books, and, of course, backpacks were not allowed in class. Thankfully, once I got to high school, you could bring bags to class, so I got myself a nice little double-handled duffel bag, shoved all my books in that, and found that much easier to tote around.