Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Groke posted:

I don't even get how "detention" is a legal thing.

Pretty sure it's only a thing when the parents are on board with the discipline of their child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

When I broke my arm in the 6th form, I was told people weren't allowed to sign or draw on my cast. Because that could lead to people wanting tattoos later in life.

You should get a cast tat

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BattyKiara posted:

When I broke my arm in the 6th form, I was told people weren't allowed to sign or draw on my cast. Because that could lead to people wanting tattoos later in life.

On my last day of 7th grade our math teacher found out some students were having others sign their hands and arms instead of their yearbook, in sharpie. He gave us a 20 minute lecture on ink poisoning, forced the entire class to march to the bathrooms and have us spend five minutes each in groups washing it off - including those of us who didn't have any marker on us - and finished up by saying "If I didn't know it'd cause all kinds of hell" he'd force all of us to strip down to our underwear, girls included, to make sure we weren't hiding any writing on our skin. "Why? Because I care about my students. I care about your health. Nothing should get in the way of that."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sydin posted:

On my last day of 7th grade our math teacher found out some students were having others sign their hands and arms instead of their yearbook, in sharpie. He gave us a 20 minute lecture on ink poisoning, forced the entire class to march to the bathrooms and have us spend five minutes each in groups washing it off - including those of us who didn't have any marker on us - and finished up by saying "If I didn't know it'd cause all kinds of hell" he'd force all of us to strip down to our underwear, girls included, to make sure we weren't hiding any writing on our skin. "Why? Because I care about my students. I care about your health. Nothing should get in the way of that."

Lol ink poisoning. I remember the annoying kids in school always freaking out about that and tattling to the teachers (who didn't give a poo poo if a kid drew on themselves). That and if you wrapped a string or elastic band a little bit tight around a finger, the same kids would screech about how your finger will fall off. Glad to know my teachers were a bit smarter than yours.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember getting jabbed with a pencil at school and as casually as I could asking my mom if lead was poisonous.

I freaked, and once she figured it out laughed at my stupid rear end, owned.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Glad to know my teachers were a bit smarter than yours.

Up until the last two years of HS I went to school in a suburban SoCal town that was easily 95% white, mormon, and that weird level of middle-income where people start to believe they're hot poo poo but still live paycheck to paycheck. The resulting combination of incredibly milquetoast "bad behaviour" and hyper-over reactive authority figures resulted in the dumb kinds of stories I've told piling up constantly.

As an example, my elementary, middle, and first high school all had bans on hats of any kind, because they could be used to signal "gang affiliation." I'd bet :10bux: nobody from any of those schools had so much as even seen a gang member in real life, let alone been affiliated with one. Apparently after I left my HS decided to ease the rule, and allowed people to wear hats but only if they had the school logo on them. Some of my old friends told me a couple guys who thought they were being clever all strolled onto campus one day wearing the same campus branded hat, and told anybody who'd listen that now they were finally free to express their affiliation with the "school gang". The school took this 100% seriously, re-banned hats, and had an assembly where the principal told students "see we told you so!"

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Shows like Freaks & Geeks taught me that even the late 80's/early 90's were a massively different school environment than the late 90's/early 00's

Freaks & Geeks was the late '70's/Early '80s. Growing Pains, Roseanne, shows like that would show late '80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I remember getting jabbed with a pencil at school and as casually as I could asking my mom if lead was poisonous.

I freaked, and once she figured it out laughed at my stupid rear end, owned.

You were right to be worried. I've had a chunk of graphite lodged in my hand for 23 years. Based on a sample size of one I can confirm it'll gently caress your life up good.