Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Most of my time in school is just a blur, either from ADHD mania or ADHD med induced fugue state. I would do extremely well at tests and exams, but refused to ever do homework so my grades reflected that. I nearly failed the dumb kid English class, but got the highest marks in my province for physics.

My physics teacher was a cool dude who had a bit of an understanding with me (had the same teacher for all of high school). He'd assign the class homework, which involved doing X pages of this gigantic workbook we'd get at the beginning of the year. I would do 1-3 of the 20+ assigned questions, figure out the method of doing it, and then stop. Then the next day when he checked our homework he would give me detention for not finishing mine. I figured out that if I didn't go to the detention, the next day he would then give me an official MISSED DETENTION slip where I would then have to fill it out with my name and when I would make up the missed time and hand it back to him. Only, the slip would never make it back to him since I would just stuff it into my binder and never get that missed detention.

At first I thought I was so clever and was outfoxing the teacher, but after my 10th slip in the pile in my locker, I came to realize that he didn't care. He was just giving me the initial detentions as a way of keeping up appearances with the rest of class, then not following it up because he knew I didn't need to do the whole assignment.

My art teacher didn't know how to deal with me, so she just put me in her office after she gave everyone an assignment so I wouldn't disrupt the class. I spent hundreds of hours spaced out in that room picking at the desk accomplishing nothing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If kids were going shooting over the weekend, they were allowed to bring their rifles and shotguns to school, but had to tell a teacher who would put them behind their desk. The kids would just keep the ammo in their bags.

My dad went to the same high school as me, and he talked about how there was a Rifle Club. You'd bring your gun to school, hang out with the teachers who also brought their gun to school, go into the basement where there was a firing range, and target practice for an hour. This wasn't even some rural hick school either, this is a high school in the middle of a large city.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's sad but back then you either ran with the pack, lone wolf or be the sheep. Sounds a little lord of the flies, but it is what it is.

Looking back at it, I'm kind of amazed I didn't get bullied more. I was an awkward loner for most of my teen years. Probably was because I was 6'2 at 16 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sydin posted:

On my last day of 7th grade our math teacher found out some students were having others sign their hands and arms instead of their yearbook, in sharpie. He gave us a 20 minute lecture on ink poisoning, forced the entire class to march to the bathrooms and have us spend five minutes each in groups washing it off - including those of us who didn't have any marker on us - and finished up by saying "If I didn't know it'd cause all kinds of hell" he'd force all of us to strip down to our underwear, girls included, to make sure we weren't hiding any writing on our skin. "Why? Because I care about my students. I care about your health. Nothing should get in the way of that."

Lol ink poisoning. I remember the annoying kids in school always freaking out about that and tattling to the teachers (who didn't give a poo poo if a kid drew on themselves). That and if you wrapped a string or elastic band a little bit tight around a finger, the same kids would screech about how your finger will fall off. Glad to know my teachers were a bit smarter than yours.