Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This song is more late-stage hair metal right before grunge killed it off than Led Zep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

He does seem to have overly large footwear for his stature.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's only one person wearing a shirt and it's too small for him. I bet you he's too young to remember shamelessly cashing in on 70s rock nostalgia was really big for a while 15 years ago.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Good closer.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

rodbeard posted:

There's only one person wearing a shirt and it's too small for him. I bet you he's too young to remember shamelessly cashing in on 70s rock nostalgia was really big for a while 15 years ago.

These guys are no The Darkness.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The band wasn't wearing shoes in the outro. I guess they really are hobbits.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I've gotta say, Brosnahan fits in with the cast better than any host they've had since Donald Glover. It's almost tough to tell that she's not in the cast. She's been going all out, but it doesn't feel out of place or forced. Like Hamm or McCarthy. I'm impressed. I hope they bring her back.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Doctor Candiru posted:

I've gotta say, Brosnahan fits in with the cast better than any host they've had since Donald Glover. It's almost tough to tell that she's not in the cast. She's been going all out, but it doesn't feel out of place or forced. Like Hamm or McCarthy. I'm impressed. I hope they bring her back.

I liked that she's like 5 ft 6 and yet she's still taller than the lead singer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doctor Candiru posted:

Yeah, and I think he wandered into the male version of Haim.

For real, those guys are Haim even down to the bass face.

This is very very true. Uncanny.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

rodbeard posted:

No he also doesn't remember 9/11...

I see GvF live last summer and SNL made them sound awful but they also went full Hobbit somehow (their look last summer was leather jackets etc)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My local channel was asleep at the switch this week and played no local commercials during the show this week.

I am now sad because I have been made aware of the existence of Greta Van Fleet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like how the bassist is also the keyboard player. Like a certain other band I know.

C'mon, Fraud Paul Jones, give us at least one way to plausibly defend your band as something other than a weird alternate universe Led Zeppelin!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mister Kingdom posted:

My local channel was asleep at the switch this week and played no local commercials during the show this week.

I am now sad because I have been made aware of the existence of Greta Van Fleet.

I don't have good musical taste, but I try to keep an open mind because I know I don't have good musical taste, but goddamn did I not like anything about that band.

Pete Davidson and John Mulaney were awesome, tho. We need a road trip movie with those two.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was supposed to see them tonight but the Northeast got clobbered with snow. Now they’re postponed to March 16th. So no show that weekend.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

1glitch0 posted:

I don't have good musical taste, but I try to keep an open mind because I know I don't have good musical taste, but goddamn did I not like anything about that band.

I gave them a shot, but they did nothing for me. Lead singer is too screechy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They occupy this Musical Uncanny Valley for me and I never cared much for Led Zeppelin anyways...

It did let Jost make the Super Wolf Blood Moon joke, so I guess it evens out.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The thing that bugged me the worst about the guest band is that for a group that's hitched its wagon to an iconically thumping early 70s hard rock style, I'm assuming you'd want a singer who has a more dynamic presence as a front man. Dude looked a little bit lost, if not absolutely terrified.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Eh, I really can't fault their performance and I'm always saying more bands should perform better live, which they did...I just did not like it.

If Fred Armisen were still around I feel like we would have gotten a bit confusing them for hobbits.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Push El Burrito posted:

What

Is the lead singer a hobbit?

Representation is important, okay?

Anyway, they're much better than the vast majority of the music that gets on SNL, even with the lead singer constantly smiling and thinking of elevensies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Representation is important, okay?

Anyway, they're much better than the vast majority of the music that gets on SNL, even with the lead singer constantly smiling and thinking of elevensies.

Seriously, why is the vast majority of music on SNL so lovely? Is there some weird way they pick musical guests or something?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Most bands and musical artists are lovely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They get good acts, too. Kacey Musgraves was solid, Donald Glover did an amazing set, I enjoyed Mumford & Sons...there are usually 2-3 good acts per seasons which is a decent ratio for ~the biz~.
:shrug:

Laterite posted:

Most bands and musical artists are lovely.

Math checks out. :hai:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

So, they're just completely aping Led Zeppelin, right?

Has SNL ever featured a cover band before? Think it's finally time to launch my Joy Division tribute act.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They get good acts, too. Kacey Musgraves was solid, Donald Glover did an amazing set, I enjoyed Mumford & Sons...there are usually 2-3 good acts per seasons which is a decent ratio for ~the biz~.
:shrug:

Math checks out. :hai:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I still remember the Lana Del Ray performance and it was so bad I thought it was another skit entirely.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aside from Donald Glover (who I have loved for the better part of a decade now) and Kacey Musgraves (who my wife now loves and got me into), the show introduced me to Margo Price back in 2016, and now I'm a huge fan of hers. She sounded amazing and won me over completely.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Binary Logic posted:

Has SNL ever featured a cover band before? Think it's finally time to launch my Joy Division tribute act.

I'm only linking this because of the neat coincidence of someone introducing me to The Twilight Sad earlier, which is, uh... actually in that vein and pretty good so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ZQrrBYyMM

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Binary Logic posted:

That depends. Are we counting The Blues Brothers?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bx-esuzRkk

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I had never heard of Sam Smith before his appearance on SNL and his voice put me in a trance.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm only linking this because of the neat coincidence of someone introducing me to The Twilight Sad earlier, which is, uh... actually in that vein and pretty good so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ZQrrBYyMM

Thanks, this is p good and I'll check out their album. But as someone who's mixed bands before, I'm sperging about the singer putting his thumb over the mic and blocking the diaphragm. Stop doing that! LOL.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M985HdNYipg

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I swear if she plays the entire cabinet by the time of the next election I won't be surprised

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: loving McKinnon!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is that Steve Martin???

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Steve Martin!

For a split second I thought it was Dennis Quaid until he started speaking

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’M JUST A NORMAL AND STRAIGHTFORWARD GUY!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Steve Martin does a good Eugene Levy impression.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Is that Steve Martin???

I thought it was DeNiro at first, but the voice gave it away. It's absolutely Steve Martin.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I don't think I've seen him this dedicated to a character in 40 years. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I almost feel like that Steve Martin would’ve looked better without the prosthetic work.