Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

...poo poo. “How about you let me down first, then we can talk?” I choke out, in my normal voice, “I’m not going to fight back anymore, alright?” ‘Specially when they’ve got their guns pointed at Mae like that, “So if you really want me to join you, how about you start by not choking the unlife outta me?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Black Widow: The Helldrakes open fire on you, but you manage to avoid their shots. You leap in and out - punching, kicking, knocking people around. They can't get a bead on you. But then one of them growls, "Hell with this," and opens fire on the Russians.

The Helldrakes mark Angry

Some of them try to get to cover, but you hear the sounds of bullets hitting flesh as other Helldrakes follow his lead. Screams of agony ring out and some of them don't move after falling to the ground. What do you do?

Lucky Star: You go through the side of the warehouse and hear a gasp from someone else. It's the man you saved earlier, trying to stay hidden from the fight outside. "Dear God kid, you scared me half to death!" He looks back to the fight - you see Prototype on the ground, not moving with Helldrakes pointing guns at her and Blood Opal holding Wraith aloft. "Kind of feel like I went from the frying pan into the fire here." He pauses and looks up. "They have a sniper by the way, might want to keep your head down." What do you do?

Wraith: Blood Opal brings you back down, but moves her grip to your arms. "Even though your friend rejected it, I'll still honor my earlier offer. Help us with this, come back with me, and I'll let your friends go." What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -1 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Frankly, his gasp isn't doing much for my heart either, it feels like it skipped a beat when I popped out next to him - I didn't expect that at all. "You're still here?" Well, of course, if the Helldrakes are blocking the road... have a sniper?! "Oh poo poo." Ducking down next to him, I peer out at the street. I can't tell where the sniper is, and I don't really have time to find them and get there considering the state Wraith and Prototype are in - is she even alive? Oh god, she better be. Gulping again, I decide to trust Black Widow to be able to handle the group inside, and take a hard step... out into the road, hands up. Advancing forward slowly, keeping myself phased to make sure I don't immediately get dropped by the sniper, I call out, "Hey, Blood Opal!" I raise my hands a little higher to emphasis I'm not looking for a fight right now, but the gloves and battered knuckles make it clear I'm capable of putting up one. "We took care of the Russians, your guys don't look like they're doing great after messing with Wraith, and we're not exactly stellar right now either." I really hope Prototype is alright!! "Why don't we call it a night and both leave while we still can?"

@Lucky Star: 2d6+2 pierce Blood Opal's mask = (1+5)+2 = 8
asking: how could I get your character to let us leave in peace

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

My heart sinks when I actually see people getting killed in front of me. I know I'd thought about letting it happen when we were out there... but now? Not a chance. I look around quickly, then note that a particularly precarious stack of crates is kind of off to the side of the Helldrakes. Definitely would be too slow to actually crush anyone, but it'd give them something to think about while the survivors make a break for cover.

I dig my heels in, pushing against the crate with all my might, and I feel it start to give before too long. As it starts to topple into the crowd, I meet the suited Russian's eyes and vanish back into the shadows. The Helldrakes are going to have me to worry about in just a minute, but don't think I'm ever going to let this guy forget it was me who stuck her neck out to keep them alive.

quote:

SidekickBOTYesterday at 10:15 PM
@Black Widow: 2d6+2 stop the executions = (5+3)+2 = 10

Taking influence over Yuri.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: Blood Opal looks at you for a moment, taking in your phased out nature. "As I said to your friend here, let us do our jobs and I'll let you all go." You can see she's not going to leave until she takes care of the Russians, but she's telling the truth in that she'll be fine with letting you go if you don't get in the way anymore. "You say you took care of the Russians. Did you take care of them?" And it's going to be real bad for them if you let her do that. What do you do?

Black Widow: The Helldrakes see the crate coming and scatter to avoid getting hit by it. The Russians get to cover, and then there's a bit of silence while the Helldrakes refocus on you. Some of them take out flashlights and begin moving it around to try and find you. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -1 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I make a face. She wants us to let her go in and kill the Russians? That'll just escalate things between them even worse, aside from the whole morality issue... Sifting my hand to my ear, I tap the comms Prototype gave us. "Hey, Widow. She says she'll let us all go if we let the drakes kill the Russians. Prototype's down and Wraith doesn't look great... what do you think?" I also give Wraith a look, silently asking for her input. Should we try and take on the Helldrakes? Speaking up louder to talk to Blood Opal again, I try something else, "They just got the snot beat out of them by two teenagers, and they know you were about to come after them. If you let them go, they'll know better than to mess with Koreatown. If you kill them, then they'll be back looking for blood."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Hiding in the shadows, I grin when I see them split up. That suits me just fine. I creep around the periphery, the muted black of my... costume? Maybe coating is a better term... in any case, I'm blending in well. I wait for one to finish sweeping his flashlight around, and I strike as he turns back. Swift kick to the back of the knee to force him down, then a vicious roundhouse bounces his head off of a support beam. By the time the rifle clatters to the floor, I'm gone. They may have the exterior locked down with that sniper, but in here? This is my playground. The longer they try me, the less people they're going to have to mess with everyone else.

...I hope they're doing well out there.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 6:04 PM
@Black Widow: 2d6+1 Attempt to pick off more of the Helldrake mob (DE) = (3+4)+1 = 8

Avoiding more blows!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: Blood Opal lets out a laugh. "Do you really think they're going to go quietly back to a normal life if you slap them on the wrist and let them leave? They've made it pretty clear they want power here. I'd rather take them on after they suffer losses then letting them come back at us full force." She looks at you dismissively. "Maybe this life isn't for you. If you can't deal with what needs to be done, then perhaps you should go back home." Do you accept what she's saying?

If you accept her words shift Danger down and Mundane up

Black Widow: Shots ring out near you, but you're already gone. Vanishing and popping back out again and again, the Helldrakes still on their feet decide that maybe it's best to give up this attack and start picking up their fallen friends.

The Helldrakes have been defeated and Dai Ushi will mark a Condition

What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

"I... yeah, maybe you're right?" I want revenge on the Helldrakes and the Spider, but do I actually want to see them dead? I don't know who did it, does that mean I need to kill Blood Opal and every other captain and leader in both gangs? Will I be satisfied with just seeing them out of power or out of Koreatown? I don't know the answer to any of that. Maybe I didn't think through this whole hero thing all the way. But, right now, it's just me between her and Prototype and Black Widow, and the Russians, I guess, even if technically Wraith is between the two of us. "Maybe I am being naive. If you're right about what needs to be is, then I either need to let you kill them, or try and kill you. And... I don't want to do either of those." Not right now, not until I'm sure about what I want. I really hope Black Widow is doing alright while I'm stuck here moralizing. There must be some other way to get us out of here... Everyone out. She wants blood, and she's willing to fight us to get it - but she's talking too, so she doesn't think she can win easily, or she'd just try and take us out. We can make this harder for her, but can we do more than that?

@Lucky Star: 2d6 assess the situation = (6+6) = 12
I shall ask: what here can I use to get the Helldrakes to leave now?
how could we best end this quickly?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

I let Lucky do all the talking for now, but I keep myself alert, ready to spring into action on a moment's notice. I glare at the Helldrakes that have their guns pointed at Mae with my inky black eyes. I don't speak to them, or say anything. The look I give them says it all. They've seen me. They've seen what I can do. They've seen how horrifying I can be, and if they don't step away from Mae, right the gently caress now, then they're going to have a really bad time.

quote:

@Wraith: 2d6+3 Being the monster = (2+5)+3 = 10

Going with: - You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: "Then what do you want?" Considering how the Helldrakes split up, and you aren't hearing gunshots in the warehouse anymore that might mean Black Widow has dealt with them. So the quickest way might be to take Blood Opal down right now since most of her help has been taken out.

But as you look around, you see the man peering from his hiding spot to see what's going on. Thing is, Blood Opal has been talking about killing the Russians but she hasn't said anything about a captive. That means most likely she doesn't know they had one and that changes the situation. Letting her in on that would make her re-evaluate how to handle things here and considering how there's been an awful lot of gunfire the police are going to be back soon - it'd probably be better to leave and figure out what to do next then keep fighting you all.

What do you do?

Wraith: The Helldrake goons drop their guns as you glare at them, but immediately scramble to pick them back up. They're not going to back off, they're going to keep Prototype as a hostage and that just makes you go from looking mad to actually being mad.

Mark Angry

You feel Blood Opal tighten her grip on your hands. "Calm down." What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

"I want you to leave. I want them to leave. And I want us to leave." But... that's right, she hasn't mentioned the hostage as part of why she needs to take the Russians out, which means she does know about it. It'd help if I knew who he was, but either way if he was important enough to take captive for information (and either important enough to kill when he wouldn't talk or unimportant enough to kill) then someone is gonna be looking for him. So we're not going to be the only ones here for much longer, even without the police. "And I want the hostage they took the leave too. They were interrogating him when we got here, about to wrap it up. So someone's coming, even if we leave you aren't going to have an easy time cleaning up. You can always come for them the next time they move in." My eyes flicker uncomfortably towards Wraith as the situation there gets tenser. Please, just go?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: Blood Opal looks into your eyes as you talk about the hostage. "They what?" She purses her lips as you speak. "Fine. Let me take everyone you've beaten down back and I'll see what Dai Ushi has to say. Who is this hostage and where is he?" What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I let out a sigh of relief. "Deal." And step aside, letting her get access to the building behind me. "I don't know who he is, but he's hiding behind some crates over there. Please don't scare him, he seemed pretty shaken." Raising a hand to my comms, I better make sure Black Widow knows what's going on.. "Hey, Widow, I talked to Blood Opal, she's going to take the Helldrakes inside and leave, and we need to get Prototype to someone with medical skills, she looks bad." I don't unphase though, aware the sniper is still there and could take a shot if she changes her mind. "Wraith, how is she?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Angry

It's a good thing Lucky is here, because if she wasn't, I'd be tearing through every single of these mother fuckers without a second thought. "...She's not good," I say to Lucky, "And I don't think she'll last long if we leave her like this."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: Blood Opal takes a look at where you said the man was hiding, and makes a motion to the sniper. "It's all right, you can come out." The man slowly steps out and walks forward and Blood Opal's eyes widen in surprise. She looks back to you. "If you want the Russians to live, you have your work cut out for you." She walks forward and the two of them begin to talk. The Helldrakes who went in to the warehouse come out, dragging some of their friends with them. Blood Opal finishes talking with the man, takes her machete out from Prototype, lifts a couple of them who were knocked out, and begins to move them into the cars. Everyone seems ready to get out of here. What do you do?

Black Widow: The Helldrakes leave, and the Russians shakily take whoever's alive but injured into their own cars. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Marking the drive "stop a fight with calm words", I'll take Influence over Blood Opal for resolving this.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," I say to Blood Opal, giving the man a curious look. Just who is he? "I'm glad we were able to talk this out. Thank you." Trying to keep the pair in my sights to make sure she doesn't do anything to break our deal, I rush over to Prototype and Wraith, giving our fallen friend most of my attention. She really doesn't look good at all. "Wraith..." I say somewhere between a whisper and a panic, "what do we do? We can't take her to the hospital..."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +2 | Superior +2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

A sudden fresh burst of pain jolts me awake. I feel and hear the machete being pulled from my back and scraping against the metal as it leaves. My vision is a sea of red, every alert light inside my helmet is trying to get my attention. I try not to move, frantically moving my eyes to try and figure out what's going on. Through the spiderweb (heh. ow. shouldn't laugh.) of cracks in my visor I can see Night Wraith's and Lucky Star's feet as they talk about something. They seem worried. And I think Blood Opal is...leaving? Wait, what? I cough, which hurts, and then manage to mumble a few words which I hope only my friends can hear. My voice changer is busted, so at least I sound like me now.

"Did...did we win?"

It really doesn't feel like it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

As everyone sounds like they've decided to cut and run, I head back out to meet up with the crew. I see Opal talking with Temple, but the rest are gone... and Prototype looks like she got really hosed up. drat. I'm not sure why we're not thrashing Opal here and now, but... gently caress, that's a lot of blood. I look down at the wreckage of her armor and quietly say, "...Yeah, more or less. Can you walk?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +2 | Superior +2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

Huh. We all made it. How 'bout that. I run through a few self checks - fingers and toes wiggle, I can feel my hands and feet, it hurts when I breathe but there's no bubbling sound so that's probably just a cracked rib. I try to stand up but the suit doesn't respond. Hmm. I don't want to push the auxiliary power in case it does more damage.

"Not until I get my legs unlocked. Get me to the van, I've got the tools in there to peel me out of this hunk of junk."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Angry

"I got you," I pick up Mae in her heavy armor like she was nothing- perks of being a "monster," I guess, and start carrying her over to the van, "...Let's get the hell out of here. I don't think I wanna be here any longer than we have."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

"Oh thank god, you're alright!" She... really doesn't look it though. Following behind Wraith anxiously as she carries Mae to the van, it feels like there isn't anything I can do right now. Shifting side to side with my stomach in my throat, as they start loading her in, I make up my mind. "I'll be right back!" Turning on my heel, I hurry back to Blood Opal and the guy who's name I still don't know. "Blood Opal... We'll still be on opposite sides the next time we meet, but I hope you'll remember we can talk things out, we don't have to fight." For now. I think we both know that can't last forever. "And," turning to face the man I rescued, "who are you?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Lucky Star: Blood Opal looks at you with a mix of amusement and curiosity. "You're pretty interesting Lucky Star." She puts the last of the Helldrakes into a car. "You coming Temple?"

Temple looks at you, kind of interested in that you don't seem to know who he is. "I'm Temple Steed. I'm glad you were willing to stick your neck out for someone you didn't know. You're a cool kid. Here." He takes out a business card and hands it to you. The title is simply "The Carlotti Family", with a phone number. "Carlo's my boyfriend - the Russians were hoping to start a war between him and the Helldrakes if my body got found in Koreatown. If you ever need anything, let me know okay? You might be mostly normal, but I think you could do a lot of good around here." He playfully ruffles your hair. Do you accept his words?

If you accept his words shift Savior up and Freak down - but since Savior is at +3 accepting his words means taking a Condition

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I help open up the door and clear a bit of space for Prototype to get set down. She seemed more concerned with getting out of the armor, but I'm half-worried that it's all that's holding her together. Seriously. That's a lot of blood. I ask her quietly, "Where to? You're gonna need a hospital or something, but..." Maybe it's selfish, but I don't immediately jump to 'oh hey, my mom's a nurse at the ER.' I don't want to put her in the line of fire. "Does your place have next-gen medical stuff, or is it all tech?"

I shoot Wraith a helpless look, not really sure what to do.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +2 | Superior +2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

With access to my tools I'm able to get my helmet off and unlock my legs, so at least I can sit down and direct the others to remove my battered suit. I hold the helmet in my hands and try not to focus on how far that rifle round penetrated. Talking is a good distraction from that, and the throbbing pain in my back.

"Yeah, I'm not to keen on having my injuries recorded either. Cops would be called, my parents might get informed, it'd be a whole big mess. I don't have a proper medical set up, just first aid supplies. We need someone who can stitch me up and keep quiet about it, and this time of night that's probably Doc Minh."

Thai Quang Minh did her medical training in Vietnam, local authorities don't recognize it so she works as a vet nurse and does back alley surgery on the side. Brass says she's good and discrete but can be picky about her customers and charges like a wounded bull. I'm trying to work out how to get the cash together when another thought occurs.

"Unless your mom can help us. ER training should be enough, right? I dunno, making decisions right now is...difficult. Hey, who here can drive?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Taking the business card, I don't mention that I thought he was a civilian when I rescued him. It seems counter to the point. Looking at the card, I blink, then look back up at him, slightly baffled. I'd figured out he was, you know, someone kind of important, but not like... wow. That was, kind of huge, what she'd done - what they'd done. "Oh... okay. I'll - I'll do that." Flustered, and not entirely appreciative by his hair ruffling and treating me like a child - I mean, I'm an adult, and I just fought off the Russian Mafia and saved his life, I'm not a kid, but, it's probably good to have an in - I nod and hurry back to the car. "Thanks." Just in time to hear Prototype's last words. Luckily not in that sense, I answer and climb into the drivers seat. "I can." Pulling the seat belt across, I lean over to look into the back. "Where am I going? Is Mae secure?"

Accepting his words, taking Insecure

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I think about it for a moment, but the answer's easy enough. I'm not going to endanger my mom, not if there's another option. I say to Lucky, "We're headed to the Vet."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Everyone: The four of you make your way to Doc Minh's office, which is basically the veterinary clinic after it's closed for the night. You've gotten the money for the visit while trying to make sure Prototype doesn't bleed out too much on the way here, and as you bring her in you see Doctor Minh step out and look at all of you. Her eyes land on Black Widow for a moment, then focus on Prototype.

What do you do?

When you go to a back alley doctor, roll +Superior. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
  • The doctor keeps silent about your visit, regardless of who might want to know
  • The doctor doesn’t require a favor from you
  • You find out something useful from the doctor
On a miss, either the doctor takes the opportunity to betray you to your enemies or they demand something you won’t like. Agree or find someone else.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +2 | Superior +2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

By the time we get to the surgery I'm dangerously light headed and all my adrenaline from earlier has worn off so I feel like...there really isn't an analogy for feeling like you've been repeatedly shot and stabbed, so lets go with that. I can at least walk into the office (with a little help) and the doc seems like the consummate professional. There's something about her bedside manner that suggests she's not just doing this for the cash, though.

@Prototype: 2d6+2 back alley doc = (6+3)+2 = 11

The doctor keeps silent about your visit, regardless of who might want to know

You find out something useful from the doctor

Owing a favor is like being given a present.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Once I'm done helping Prototype into the room and Doctor Minh has agreed to help her, I beat a hasty retreat. I really don't want to watch, or hear, or smell, surgery, and I'm not exactly disinfected, and, look, Doc knows what she's doing, and she's reliable, at least as far as treating someone who pays goes... I don't have to worry about Mae more than I'm going to be abstractly worried until she's better, but watching would make it way, way worse. Instead, in the 'waiting room' area of the vet, I look at Wraith and let out a long, tired sigh. "Hey, Wraith? You heard what Blood Opal said, right? Do you think she's right, and I shouldn't be here? I want revenge, but... I don't really want to kill her... am I being naive?"

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Prototype: Doc Minh gets a table cleared and motions for you to lie down and take your shirt off. "Hmm." She begins to clean her instruments. "Looks serious." She takes out a thread and surgical thread while glancing at the money. "This good, but..." she hesitates and looks at you. "You're those strange troublemakers that have Dai Ushi so upset?" She pulls on gloves and begins to examine the wound. As she then sets the thread into the needle she's a bit hesitant, and then plows through. "Dai is trying to have people like you on her payroll. There's a girl about your age she's brought here a couple of times because of the side effects of whatever they're doing. It's hurting her, but the girl doesn't care. I think something happened that put the experiment on hold." Didn't Lucky Star mention that the building the Russians targeted had some lab trying to make Titan Elixir? She takes out some anesthetic and begins to fill a syringe with it. "You're heroes, aren't you? If anyone could do something about it...maybe stop the girl from going along with it...it'd be you right?" Do you accept her words, and what do you do?

If you accept her words, shift Savior up and Mundane down

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

Man, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle with Titan. Before too long any gangster with the resources is going to be brewing up their own bathtub elixir, with god knows what results! It's going to fall to us to try and stop it from spreading too far...and helping the people who get hurt by it. I wince as Minh pokes at the still bleeding slash, and struggle to keep my voice level as I reply.

"I don't know if we're heroes, doc. All I know is someone needs to make a stand against people like Dai Ushi. Someone needs to let this city know they don't have to be scared all the time. And someone needs to help people like that girl. Tell me what you can."

I'm curious about the doc's interest in the girl (professional compassion? a family connection?) but I'm way, way more interested in getting some pain relief.

accepting the doctor's words.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Angry, Hopeless

While Mae's getting herself fixed up, I've been staying in the waiting room, leaning my back against the wall, arms folded across my chest, hoodie up, giving strong "don't loving talk to me" vibes. In case it isn't obvious enough, I'm not exactly in the most talkative mood after that loving mess...

...But when Lucky talks to me, and gives me that sad, worried look of hers, I.... have a very hard time turning her away. "Yeah, you're naive," I tell her, in the most bluntest way possible, "But that isn't a bad thing. Nothing good ever comes out of spilling blood, and if you hadn't of done what you did, then more people would've died, and I..." I would've lost myself and torn each and every one of them to shreds is what I want to say, but I stop myself before I could say it, "...Anyways, point is, yea, I think you belong here, just as much as Prototype and Black Widow do. If we didn't, we wouldn't even let you come along with us in the first place."

quote:

Confirming that Lucky Star belongs here. She gains Potential, and since I already have influence on her, I'll shift her labels Superior Up, and Freak Down.

I pause, far longer than I should have, letting an awkward silence fall over us. I adjust my hood one more time, and say, "...You're lucky, you know that?" No pun intended, "We all have scars that run deep, but you've somehow haven't lost your optimism, and I don't know how you do it," my voice is cold and distant as I talk, "Even now, you're still willing to risk your life to save folks, while I..." I cast my gaze downward, my hoodie hiding my expression from her, "...I wanted to hurt them. Bad. I wanted to cut them all up, and watch them all bleed to death, like I was... I was..." My voice, which I've been keeping steady, cracks a little, "...Like I'm some kinda monster."

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

quote:

@Wraith: 2d6+2 Wish I could be (-2 from Angry, +1 from Influence) = (1+1)+2 = 4

Potential get!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

After making sure that Prototype is getting the help she needs, I take off. I'm sure Carbine's out doing her thing, especially on a night like this, but there's no better time than now to tell her about how things went down at the docks and score some vigilante points. Like it or not, I definitely took down a bunch of Helldrakes and the Russians. If I don't brag about this to someone who didn't almost die, I'm going to explode.

Maybe it's a dick move, but gently caress it. I'm not making a big deal about Prototype getting us into a fight that almost killed them all, that's about the extent of the magnimanity I can muster tonight.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 4:19 PM
@Black Widow: 2d6+2 The meet w/ Carbine = (1+6)+2 = 9

Selfishly spending a point of team to shift +Savior/-Mundane, since I'm ditching the aftermath when everyone could probably use a bit of support, but that means I find her with no catch.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Feb 8, 2019 around 02:16

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 3

Prototype: Doc Minh speaks as she injects the anesthetic and begins stiching your wound. "Her name is Sun-Hwa. The first time Dai Ushi brought her in, she was having trouble breathing. Her skin was strangely hard, it took a while for me to be able to get a tracheal tube through. The rest of the time it was more to see how she was in her current state. Didn't seem to be anything permanent yet, but she seemed to have harder skin and got real strong while she was under the effects." She finishes her work and cuts the string off the needle. "You should take it easy for a while." Her tone suggests she's aware you're not actually going to do that. "These might help, but be careful with them." She gives you a couple of painkillers, but then you hear a crash and the sound of dogs baying. She reaches into a drawer and pulls out a revolver, then steps out. What do you do?

Lucky Star: What do you make of what Wraith just said? But before you can respond, the glass of the front door shatters as a sword punches through it. A girl on the other side reaches to the lock and undoes it, coming inside. You hear the sounds of dogs barking and growling as Mad Wolf steps in. "Found you," she says as she moves towards you. What do you do?

Wraith: As Mad Wolf breaks in, her dogs begin howling at you, snapping their teeth and coming closer. Doc Minh steps out with a gun in her hand but pauses at the sight of what's going on. What do you do?

Black Widow: You leave the three of your teammates behind and head out to find where Carbine is. You're able to track her down - she might be incredibly skilled at fighting but subtlety isn't one of her strong suits and it's not hard to locate the white woman openly carrying an assault rifle, pistol, and knife. At the moment she's getting something to eat at the Kobawoo House, and with the restaurant mostly empty, everyone eating at tables away from her, and your costume, she sees you coming towards her. "Can I help you?" She watches you, sitting completely still, waiting to see what you do. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"Nothing..?" I say it quietly, more to myself that Wraith, as she answers. I, don't know if she's right, but I want to believe her. It sounds right, anyway. And, it's what I want to hear! Mood brightening a bit, I look back up at her to smile and thank her, only for my expression to start to fall again as she starts talking again. She's not right, I know that even if I don't know anything else, but before I can figure out a way to say it, everything goes to poo poo. "Ahh!" Jumping back a step, I scramble up onto one of the chairs, really, really not wanting to be anywhere near those dog's teeth. "You can't bring them in here," I yell at Mad Wolf, panicking a bit, "this is a ... vet." It isn't a hospital.

I stare at her with a pretty stupid expression on my face for a moment, and then the impact of what I just said hits me. This is a vet! And that means there's bound to be something here to keep her dogs busy... Looking side to side, I scan the room. Dog treats? A dog whistle? What's here??

@Lucky Star: 2d6+1 assess the situation = (3+6)+1 = 10
What here can I use to distract or neutralize the dogs?
What here is in the greatest danger?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Hopeless

Can we go one day without things going to poo poo? Without even thinking about it, I throw myself in between Lucky and Mad Wolf, brandishing my claws at her, and growl, "If you want her, you're gonna have to go through me first, rear end in a top hat!"

quote:

@Wraith: 2d6-1 Defending Lucky Star = (4+6)-1 = 9

Forgot to count Influence, so that's actually a 10. Choosing to clear Insecure.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

As I gingerly pull my spare clothes on my mind races through the cornucopia of information Brass has been feeding me on the Titan Elixir:

@Prototype: 2d6+2 been reading the files (titan elixir) = (5+2)+2 = 9

does anything seem different from what I remember?


Sun-Hwa is in trouble, I'm pretty sure. The initial trouble breathing and apparent recovery are symptomatic of earlier iterations of Titan, before Poppa...before Brass considered it ready for human testing. I've seen the images of the frogs and rats that were the first subjects, and they weren't pretty. Yeah, you get strong and tough, but side effects can include hypertrophy, partial or complete paralysis, uncontrollable carcinoma... You get the picture. Somehow Dai Ushi has gotten her hands on (or is somehow replicating) an obsolete but no less dangerous formula. Perfect if you want soldiers and don't care about the casualties, I guess.

Then I hear everything going to poo poo outside, and my mind snaps back to the present with a vengeance. Everything hurts, my vision is slightly blurry and I'm not even wearing shoes yet, just yoga pants and a hoodie with engine grease on it, but I can tell my team needs help. I grab a surgical mask and pop my hood up (it's not armor, but I'll take what I can get) and look out the open door to figure the situation out.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I say, "Insofar as we're in the same business, Carbine, sure." I stand behind the chair opposite her. Not sitting down without an invite, but close enough that we can converse without the entire rest of the restaurant listening in. "Busy night tonight. The Helldrakes took a shot at the Russians... and both of them walked away with a bloody nose."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 3

Lucky Star: You take a moment to look around as Mad Wolf brings her sword up. You see a jar of dog treats on the counter. Still, despite being dogs they are dogs trained by this strange girl who lives with them and has done incredible amounts of work getting them to obey her. It'd probably be a temporary distraction - but if that's all you need it might be enough.

"Whatever problems you have, please take it outside," Doc Minh says. If things go bad she's in the most danger. Mad Wolf ignores her and is about to swing her blade at your face before Wraith stops her. What do you do?

Wraith: "Okay," she says and begins to try to cut you down. However, you not only get in her way but manage to avoid getting injured by her sword. She whistles and points to Lucky Star, and some of the dogs go around you to get to her. What do you do?

Prototype: What Doc Minh said about Sun-Hwa and what Brass wrote about the effects of the early version of the Elixir seem to match up.

Looking outside, there's some weird girl and a bunch of large, dirty, and rabid-looking dogs attacking your team. One of the dogs, a Doberman Pincher with a bunch of scars on its face, bounds over to you and barks loudly to try and warn you to stay away. What do you do?

Black Widow: "I heard. Apparently they'd been planning this for a while but Dai Ushi found out they were trying to hide in Koreatown." She motions for you to sit down. "You've got Nikolai mad at you, you've got Dai mad at you, you going to go for getting on Carlo's bad side too? Because he's not going to let them get away with what they tried to do. Why would you save the Russians? They're criminals who have nothing to offer you. You could have earned some goodwill with Dai if you let the Helldrakes do what they went there to do after you saved Temple. If you want to keep doing this, learn to let people like them lie in their beds after making it instead of trying to save them from their own actions."

Carbine takes Influence over you and shifts your Danger up and Savior down. Mark potential

What do you do?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply