Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I do sit down, but it's a little frustrating that she's not seeing the bigger picture. I hold up three fingers, "I've got three reasons for doing what I did. First, the idea isn't that I set up the 'Drakes to take charge of Koreatown. The more people in play, the more directions everyone is getting pulled. Less time for them to focus on putting the boot down if they're too worried about who's going to make a move next. Second, you think Dai's going to believe I'm worth attention if I don't show her that I'm not loving around? It's not like you two got into this whole..." I gesture vaguely. "...alliance bit because she liked your gear. She knows you're legit. Third? I've put the fear of god into a good chunk of both organizations, at least the footsoldiers. That'll pay off if and when I mark out turf."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Hopeless, Injured!

gently caress! OK, back away from the dog. Let's just have a look around this room...plenty of drugs and scalpels, but nothing like a dart gun or bear mace - it is a surgery, after all. Cleaning products? Bleach and ammonia combine to create chlorine gas, but that's a little too ~war crime~ for my tastes. C'mon, think faster! Gas...anesthetic? My eyes skim labels in the drug cabinet until I see what I need. A few frantic seconds of mixing and shaking later, and the glass bottle I'm holding begins to get uncomfortably hot as I throw it past the doberman trying to intimidate me and at the pack surrounding Lucky Star. I remember to yell a warning:

"Lucky! Phase out and don't breathe!"

When the bottle shatters it should release a burst of chemicals to make those dogs super sleepy. Unless I mixed it wrong, in which case they're going to die or tear me to pieces.

@Prototype: 2d6+3 defend Lucky Star from dogs = (2+3)+3 = 8

clearing condition - Afraid

I am exposed to danger as a result

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"Thanks Wraith," I manage to get out as she puts herself between me and Mad Dog. Okay, she's distracted with Wraith for the moment, that means I can get these dog treats and toss them at the pack to give us a chance to get Mad Dog outside and away from the Doc. About to go for it, I hear Mae's shouted warning just in time. Instead of lunging for the biscuits, I clap a hand around my mouth and charge for Mad Dog, hitting her on the side and phasing to take us both through the wall and outside into the street.

@Lucky Star: 2d6-1 directly engage (+1 from assess) = (1+6)-1 = 6

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Hopeless

Doc wants us to take it outside? Alright. If that's what she wants, then that's what we'll do. Don't think any of us want to end up on her shitlist.

I charge in a bit after Lucky does, and slam my shoulder into Mad Dog's other side, hopefully giving Lucky the push she needs to phase out with her.

Teaming Lucky Star's DE roll!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 2

Black Widow: Black Widow: "Hmm." Carbine thinks on what you said. "Dai knew the Russians were in town, but not how bad it would have ended if they went in guns blazing. Not knowing that they were planning on killing Temple and trying to start something between the Helldrakes and the Carlotti family has her a little rattled, let alone your display against the people she sent out. Just had a call from her where she demanded to know if I was withholding information from her about this whole thing. Fun conversation, let me tell you." She lets out a small sarcastic smile.

Dai Ushi marks Insecure from when you took out her Minions

"Personally I'd let the Russians die if they were my enemies. More people in play, sure, but more enemies out for me. But if you still want to head this off you'll need to act now." She takes a drink of water and continues. "What are you planning to do to get Carlo to back down?" You can see she's not sure if you'll be able to do it - it'd probably leave an impression on her if you pull it off. What do you do?

Prototype: You toss the bottle and it shatters near the dogs. They back up and head to Mad Wolf, continuing to bark loudly. Then the doberman leaps up and bites your hoodie. The weight of the dog and force of it pulling yank you to the ground, and it stands on you while howling. What do you do?

Lucky Star: As you charge for Mad Wolf, one of the dogs scrambles towards you and you have to punch it before it can bite you. Wraith joins in and helps you manage the dogs that get in the way for a while before you can tackle Mad Wolf.

The dogs use their advantage as Lackeys to take a Condition for Mad Wolf, they mark Angry

Then you shove her out through the side, and she begins hacking at you while screaming "WHAT THE HELL?!". What do you do?

Roll to take a powerful blow

Wraith: You're able to help Lucky Star out by fighting with the dogs, and she and Mad Wolf go out the side. The dogs are a little confused at first, but the howl of one of them pinning down Prototype causes them to all rush at her. If you want to help Lucky Star you'll have to leave Prototype and Doc Minh to deal with the dogs. What do you do?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2019 around 09:11

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, , Hopeless

I yelp when I hear stitches rip as the dog drags me down thinking for a moment that I've burst open my wound, but it was just the cloth giving way. My back screams at me to just lie still, but I shut it out, along with the 101 other messages my body is sending me. I have a second to scoot back as the dog spits out the part of my hood that tore off, kip up, and run for the other door while hollering. Precisely the wrong thing to do in the face of a dog attack (ball up, protect the face, make no noise) but I want the pack to follow me. With a bit of luck, the slippery polished floor will slow them down enough that I can get out the other side, and Doc Minh will close the other door behind them.

If she picked up my intent. When I didn't say anything.

Well, she's a smart lady.

@Prototype: 2d6+2 provoke dog pack = (6+5)+2 = 13

I am trying to get the dogs to follow me in to the surgery, and I'd like to be able to get out the other door if possible.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I say, "Well, Carlo gave me his card. I figure I head over there and convince him to let me handle things on the down-low. No shocker that the Helldrakes are twitchy after things at the warehouse, so I'm guessing if I convince him that I'm the deniable asset he needs to get back at the Russians..." I shrug, just a touch. "I'm sure I can uproot them without killing anyone. Plus, it gets me a favor I can call in later, in addition to the one for actually getting Temple out of that mess."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team 2

Black Widow: Carbine looks a little intrigued. "He did, huh? You might still have your work cut out for you considering how he'll want to make sure no one ever messes with Temple like that again." She looks around. "Aren't you on a team? They nearby, or do you want me to come with you?" What do you do?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2019 around 18:16

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

Punching a dog feels bad, even if it's a crazy feral murderdog. Unfortunately, that experience is quickly put into perspective. I got Mad Wolf out of the building, and away from her pack, but... she's still got her sword. Backpedaling wildly, arms flailing, I manage not to yell too loudly when the blade cuts into me. Phasing out as hard, I hurry backwards as fast as I can, hand clutching at the cut on my stomach. It's warm and wet, and I'm almost too scared to look, but, I have to. Once I've put some distance between us, I look down, gulping. Not as bad as I thought, the cut is thin, and doesn't seem deep, though it stings like hell. Still... Looking back up at Mad Wolf, with the safety of several feet, I glare at her. "Why couldn't you just leave me alone?! I'm sorry I took your stupid elixir, but killing me won't get it back!" gently caress! This wouldn't be so bad if it was just me, I could run away through a building or something, but it's my fault she's going after Wraith and Mae and the doc... I have to do something.

@Lucky Star: 2d6+1 powerful blow = (5+4)+1 = 10
Picking 2 7-9 options, giving ground and taking two conditions

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


It turns out I forgot to do the move for going into a battle against a dangers foe, so:

You get 2 Team, plus one for Prototype's Captain move, minus one for being off-balance, for a total of 2 additional Team to the pool

Team: 4


Prototype: The dogs follow you, barking and growling and snarling. They run into the room after you and in a moment that might be hilarious if these large, angry, dangerous dogs weren't trying to bring you down, they start slipping and sliding. Some of them bump into walls and then others smack into them and you hear their claws skitter on the floor as they try to get a grip. You've shut the door by that point and so has Doc Minh. She has a look that pretty much says "Now what?" The dogs continue to bark and leap up against the doors, but they're not going anywhere else for the moment. What do you do?

Lucky Star: "gently caress YOU YOU THIEF" She slashes you in the leg, causing you to fall to the ground, and whistles for her dogs. The barking somehow gets even louder inside and she goes back around to the entrance before you can get back up on your feet. You're having a hard time standing at the moment too. What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Hopeless

Mae and the Doc can handle the dogs. I’m more worried about Lucky having to deal with that sword-wielding bitch alone. I rush outside, slamming my way through the door, and when the first thing I see is Mad Wolf wailing on Lucky... I get mad. Really, really, really mad. I could practically feel my blood boiling. “:GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH!” I run in, hands balled up into angry fists, and SLAM my fist right into her face!

quote:

<@177170518145892353>: `2d6+2` Engaging Mad Wolf = (4+1)+2 = 7

Choosing to avoid their blows

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, , Hopeless

I catch the doc's look and have a momentary panic because I have no idea what to do next. Call animal control? They won't make it in time. The police are not going to be helpful. Then I breathe and take a look around. If Lucky and Wraith can deal with that lunatic with the sword, all we need to do is keep the dogs trapped. The doors opened out, right?

"Look for something heavy to block the door! Buy time for my team!"

@Prototype: 2d6+2 assess the situation = (5+1)+2 = 8

what here can I use to keep the dogs in the room?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Wraith: You sock Mad Wolf in the face and she yells in surprise and pain. She swings at you, but you avoid her blows. Mad Wolf lets out a growl of frustration.

Mad Wolf marks Angry

She whistles again, and you hear the dogs going nuts as they try to come to her. What do you do?

Prototype: Looking around, you see your best option is a large, somewhat busted cabinet - there's a few box full of folders which probably means they're getting ready to replace it so it'll be empty at least. But then a whistle emits from the waiting room and the dogs start slamming against the door in a desperate attempt to get out. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Hopeless

I heave and scrape the cabinet over to the door, jamming it as best I can to keep what seems like an army of furry assholes from battering their way out of the surgery. God, I hope the vet didn't skimp when they built this place. Trying to ignore the noise behind me I force my shaking legs to run around to the front counter, the tiled floor cold on my bare feet. Doc Minh is there, with a death grip on her revolver as we exchange glances. I try keep my voice gentle as I tell her to stay out of the way until we get this cleared up, like it's all just a funny misunderstanding. Lucky and Wraith are out in the street, brawling with our attacker. I grab the big jar of dog treats, empty it out on the floor and go to join them, carefully picking my way past the pieces of broken window.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

"We're dividing and conquering right now, but if you want to come with..." I shrug. "Who am I to say no?"

I figure this will have advantages and disadvantages for sure, especially given Carbine's ties to the Helldrakes, but she's nothing if not a known serious person. If Carlo sees that I'm rolling in serious circles, then I've got that additional credibility. This could work. This could really work.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

Ohhh....

Struggling back to my feet, my leg hurts like hell, and isn't doing a good job of holding me up at all. Wobbling, I look down at it. No, bad idea. I look back up. Mad Wolf is swinging at Wraith. She can take a sword better than I can, but I'm not going to let her hurt her if I can do anything about it, it's my fault she's at risk! Gritting my teeth, I take a step forward, let out a grunt of pain and fall down onto my knee. gently caress! One more time... Not counting on staying up for long, I pull my coat off, taking each sleeve in a hand and twist it a few times, making a sort of rope. Okay. Back on my feet again, I lunge forward at her, tossing my jacket up and over, looping it around her neck and pull hard, letting myself fall back to the ground and hopefully taking her with me.

SidekickBOTToday at 2:01 AM
@Lucky Star: 2d6-2 directly engage come on lucky = (3+2)-2 = 3
Lucky StarToday at 2:01 AM
:I
well, this might be dramatically under fire
I am pretty cut up :v

if it does, that's an 8, and I'll create an opportunity

please defend me Prototype!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Hopeless

I come up behind the fight as Lucky Star tries to pull the attacker down, but it doesn't look like it's going to work - not enough leverage. It does leave the woman vulnerable to having a heavy glass jar smashed against the side of her head, not so much to hurt her as to distract her and let Lucky get clear. When she doesn't move fast enough I help hustle her away from sword range with an arm around her waist. My hand is sticky with blood again, and I look down at the nasty cuts she's already taken and swear under my breath.


@Prototype: 2d6+4 defend Lucky Star = (2+3)+4 = 9 10


Clearing Angry for hurting Mad Wolf and Hopeless for the move and Exposing myself to danger unless lucky or wraith wan't to throw a team on that.

Edit: +1 team from Night Wraith!

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2019 around 23:48

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Hopeless

While Lucky and Mae take care of Mad Wolf, I keep her little doggos busy for now. I bare my fangs at them, claws out, and growl back even louder at them, making them all flinch. I hope they both can get a handle on Mad Wolf soon, because gently caress, I really don't want to be punching any dogs today. I might be a monster, but I'm not that big of a monster!

Teaming Prototype's roll and making it a 10

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 3

Black Widow: "I have a burner phone you can use if you need it," Carbine says as she slides it over. "You can set up a meeting and I can drive us there. She begins to eat quicker so as to get ready to go soon. Do you want to bring anyone else with you or just go to this meeting with only Carbine?

Lucky Star: Mad Wolf looks surprised when you wrap the jacket around her neck and yank. She begins positions the sword to cut through your jacket right before Prototype takes the moment to hit her on the head with the glass jar of dog treats. She staggers a bit and you're able to get distance with the help of Prototype. She turns and glances at Prototype and Wraith before looking directly at you with rage. "I should have figured a thief like you would get protection from people like these two. Let my dogs go and I'll drop this for now." What do you do?

Prototype: Seems like you sort of know why this girl came after you guys - or Lucky Star, rather. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

"It's not protection, they're my friends!" I spit back at Mad Wolf, groaning a bit and grabbing my leg again. Ahhh... what should I do? If I let her go, she'll just come back and attack later, with the dogs. But if we keep fighting, I'm not going to be a lot of good, and Wraith and Prototype are probably going to get hurt... "Just, drop it drop it! And when I get my hands on any more Elixir I'll give it to you, okay?" I really doubt that's going to work, but I have to try...

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I take it, because let's face it: even burners are pretty expensive for a high schooler with no job and a broke mom. I get up from the table and say, "I'll be right outside."

On my regular phone, I shoot Lucky a quick text as I walk for the door. Prototype is way too banged up and Wraith, much as she's dependable, isn't exactly the sort you take for a friendly meet and greet.

@Lucky posted:

hey, going to track down carlo and try to stop this mess from getting too wild. you saved temple, figured you'd be good to have around while we're trying to figure this out. text me back.

While that sits, I punch in Carlo's number from that card he gave me. I wait for someone to pick up, assumably the man himself, then say, "Carlo? This is Black Widow. We should talk."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

What? We aren't giving this maniac anything! I look sideways at Lucky Star for a second, but I figure she's bluffing to get rid of the woman. I back her play:

"Yeah, we'll find a way to hook you up. Let's put this all behind us before it gets out of hand, how about that?"

I really am prepared to just let this go for now. Another minute of fighting and I'm going to pass out again, which would be a bad look.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 3

Lucky Star: Mad Wolf looks at the three of you, and shouts something at her dogs. They stop banging against the door and when she opens it they walk out to her. They still look and growl at the three of you, especially Wraith, but Mad Wolf backs away and they come with her. "I guess we'll see if you're a thief and a liar then." She turns around and walks out. You get a text notification on your phone. What do you do?

Prototype: Doc Minh just throws her hands up in exasperation. "Please try to make sure people don't follow you here." She looks at Lucky Star. "If I help your friend here, will the two of you clean up the mess here so I have time to figure out a lie for the people coming in tomorrow?" How do you feel about this girl being angry at Lucky Star for stealing Elixer from her? What do you do?

Wraith: Doc Minh avoids looking at you, and you can't help but notice she's really hesitant to put the gun away for now. And also Black Widow left some time ago it appears, how do you feel about that? What do you do?

Black Widow: Carlo picks up. "Black Widow? Why I'd be delighted to talk. Would you like to sit down for dinner? I could probably have something made for you and any guests you may want to bring. Unless it's just you?" What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

"Ugh..." Sagging back down to the ground, I let out a long groan. At least she's gone... And might give me some time to try and find Elixir to make her happy. "Sorry about that..." I look up at the others, they deserve to know what's going on. "I got my Titan Elixir by jumping her after she bought it from someone else. Didn't think she'd be quite so dedicated to getting revenge. But she's trying to clean up Koreatown too, just... at a lower priority than cleaning up me." I let out a little laugh, then look at Doc Minh. "I'll help too." So saying, I slowly stand up again, wobbling a lot. I almost certainly can't help.

Oh! My phone...

Fishing around in my pocket, I pull it out. What? Right now? After staring at the text for a bit, I type out a reply.

@Black Widow posted:

Im at the docs still but going to need a bit

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I say, "Sure, that sounds great. Put me down for a plus-two."

As my regular phone buzzes, I read it and text back real quick.

@Lucky posted:

k, lmk when you're done

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

I let out a breath as Mad Wolf walks away. When I try to suck it back in I feel my stitches tug, and my bruises ache, but I'm still standing. That's a win as far as I care. Doc Minh reminds me that the night's not over yet:

"Sorry, Doc. We'll cover our tracks better next time. And yeah, we'll clean up. Let me just get some shoes on. Not you, Lucky. Your turn for some stitches."

I guess I can understand why someone would be angry about losing their elixir, it can't be cheap on the black market. Angry enough to kill? No, that's just a psycho looking for an excuse. I get my spare sneakers out of the van and go find a broom, stiffly helping Night Wraith do most of the work. While Lucky Star and the doctor are behind closed doors, I have to tell her something. I pop a painkiller and drink from the water fountain to clear the lump in my throat first.

"Hey Esmé, I...I was pretty sure I was going to die tonight. I don't know what happened while I was down, but I know you were there and I'm still here, so...thank you. I owe you."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Hopeless

Well, at least that's over now. Thank Christ. "Don't worry about it," I tell Lucky, "Not your fault that she's some psycho with a huge kill-boner," and if she ever decides to mess with Lucky again, I'll make sure she regrets it, "You just focus on getting yourself patched up, alright? You got hurt pretty bad there."

I get to work helping Mae clean up, but when she thanks me, I stand perfectly still, still holding onto my broom, and go quiet, "No problem," I speak up, finally breaking the long silence, "...But I'm not sure how much you should actually be thanking me. Not like I did much," my eyes are locked down on the floor, away from Mae's, as I go back to sweeping it, "All I did was go berserk, and hurt a whole lot of people. It was Lucky and Black Widow who did all the work, not me," I think back at all the anger I felt during that fight, how much it consumed me, and how close I came to losing myself. "...Mae," I say, after another long pause, "...Do you think I'm turning into a monster?"

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

I look confused at the question for a moment but then the answer comes spilling out, a little more honest than I intended.

"What? No! No, you...look, the fact that you care about having to hurt people makes you human. More human than that creep with the dogs, or Blood Opal. Hold on to that, because fighting this city...I've seen what it's done to people. To Brass. He's a good man, but sometimes he's so...cold. Calculating. We need to hold on to caring about stuff.

I reach down and take hold one of her (admittedly kind of scary) hands.

"You're as human as anyone I know. Trust me."

I manage not to joke about how that's kind of a low bar, given the company we keep.

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add a Team to the pool.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless

I look down at Mae's hand holding mine. A part of me thinks she's just saying all that just to make me feel better, but there's an honesty to her words that I just can't ignore. "...Thanks," I gently squeeze her hand back, "I think... that was something I needed to hear," a beat, "...Hey, Mae, can you do me a favor?" I look her in the eyes, my hand still gripped with hers, "If I... if I ever do lose control, I want you to promise me that you'll do whatever you can to stop me," my voice, which I've been keeping steady for this whole time, starts to quiver a bit, "Promise me, okay?"

quote:

Clearing Angry, and shifting Mundane Up, and Superior Down.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

That's a hell of a thing to ask. But I'm pretty sure I get it. I can make power armour from car parts and junk from a hardware store, what happens if I decide to build a nuclear bomb or something? And because I look normal, no-one would suspect a thing until it was too late.

"Promise. But...that goes both ways, alright? We watch out for each other. If I start talking crazy, snap me out of it."

I give her hand a last squeeze and then let go so we can keep cleaning. This place is covered in broken glass and someone threw dog treats everywhere, so we're kind of against the clock to get it looking reasonable before the doctor has Lucky stitched up.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Black Widow: "Great! See you soon."

Carbine finishes her food, puts money on the table, and heads out to meet you. The two of you get into her small and fairly busted up car and head out to pick up Lucky. What do you do?

Lucky Star: Doc Minh examines you as you talk to Black Widow on the phone. "Looks worse then it is," she says. She begins to stitch the wound, and bandage it. "Ideally you should take it easy as well, but I'm going to guess that's not happening." After she's finished taking care of you, you head out to meet with Black Widow. When the car with her comes by you see Carbine is driving it. What do you think of Carbine?

Prototype: You and Wraith finish doing what you can to clean up the waiting room and head back to your base. As you enter, you see some of the lights are on and Brass is waiting for you. He looks at the damaged suit Wraith is carrying in and then back at you. "How did things go tonight?" What do you do?

Wraith: Brass looks at you and Prototype. What do you make of him, especially with what Prototype said about him recently?

This is a new scene, so clear any Conditions you took the proper actions for

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

I make a face - wincing as well - as Doc Minh stitches me back up, looking down at the wounds. They really do seem less bad than I thought... "For how long? I might be able to manage..." If we're talking a day or so, Koreatown isn't going to blow up overnight. Probably.

---

I hesitate for half a moment when I see who Black Widow's ride is, but a second later, I get in, nervously. Carbine... she scares me a bit, because she does kill people just like the gangs do, but I look up to her a bit too. She's fighting to free us all from the Spiderweb and the Helldrakes (eventually, I'm sure of it), just like we are. I don't really like where she's gone with it, but I can't pretend that her and Brass fighting back, big and out there, weren't a big part of inspiring me to decide to go out there as Lucky Star. It's definitely scary in more than one way to be in a car with her. I glance nervously over at Black Widow, then at Carbine, half in the car. "...Hi. I'm Lucky Star?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

OK, not the best time. Which begs the question - why now? Has he been watching? How much does he know? What does he want me to say?

@Prototype: 2d6-1 pierce Brass's mask = (1+3)-1 = 3

marking potential


You inscrutable old...well, let's just be honest. I start laying my suit out on the workbench and give an accurate-ish account of proceedings. I can feel his eyes on the back of my head as I'm talking. When I've done as much as I can to avoid meeting his gaze I turn around and wrap the report up:

"All in all, a bit of a mixed bag. The incident was contained, civilian casualties were avoided, we gained some useful intel. Things were complicated by Blood Opal having been Titan-augmented at some point without us knowing, which let her do some damage to me and prevented us from taking anyone in to custody. The Helldrakes are either manufacturing or have stolen a supply, but I think it's an older formula. Which brings me to a question - can we do anything to help someone who is suffering the side effects? Hypothetically speaking?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I gesture between the two, "Carbine, Lucky. Lucky, Carbine." After taking care of the pleasantries, I move to the back seat with Lucky. It doesn't take a therapist to see that she's thirty-one flavors of freaked out right now, which doesn't bode well for us looking like a pair of serious badasses that Carlo is going to take seriously.

I put a hand on her shoulder, talking low enough that Carbine is probably going to politely ignore it while she drives, and say, "C'mon, Lucky. You don't have anything to worry about. Carlo owes you big, right? All we're going to do is have a nice chat and see if we can't stop this from going nuclear." Alright, I may be lowballing this a bit. Carlo likes us, sure, but he also really loving hates the Russians. It's going to be a challenge to do this, but I need Lucky to believe we're not in over our heads. "No job too tough for the Lucky Star, right?"

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 8:24 AM
@Black Widow: 2d6+2 White Lies = (5+3)+2 = 10

Adding a team to the pool. Lucky can open up for the usual spread, but Black Widow takes Influence over her if she does.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 4

Prototype: Brass looks into your eyes as you turn to face him. "I'm afraid the Titan Elixer will show up more in the future. We're going to have to learn to deal with the criminals who try to use it. But it sounds like you did what you could when two groups of criminals try to kill each other." He raises an eyebrow when you bring up your 'hypothetical' situation. "Depends on how far the testing has gone. Early? The older versions didn't last long. So just stop this person from using it. But if they keep using it, or it's been a long amount of time testing, their body is going to change permanently - and it's not going to be ideal." His eyes, very briefly and possibly only noticeable to you two, flick over to Wraith. "Is this really hypothetical or are you talking about an actual person?" He looks straight at you - and you can see him practically read you like you're an open book.

Brass asks:
What are you really planning?
What do you intend to do?
What do you want me to do?


What do you do?

Lucky Star: Doc Minh said probably about a week - that might be too long, but having to push through injuries seems to be part of the vigilante lifestyle.

Carbine gives you a wave when you greet her and Black Widow introduces the two of you. "I've heard a little about you from whenever Dai Ushi complains about the 'troublemakers' in Koreatown. She smiles. "The two of you can relax, it'll be a little while to get to Carlo's house." What do you do?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2019 around 00:23

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Danger -2 | Freak -2 | Savior +3 | Superior +1 | Mundane +3 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty

Yeah, probably not making it a week. But leaving it for a few days should make it less bad when I do strain it fighting... right? Yeah, definitely.


My eyes widen a little as I sit down in the car - Carbine actually knows who I am, at least sort of. That's a lot more than I expected. "Thanks!" I give her a small smile, before sinking into the seat. She might have said to relax, but it's still hard, even without the pain in my leg. Seems like it obvious enough for Black Widow to see, and probably for Carbine too, not the look I was trying to make. "Er, yeah, we got this." I return the sentiment to Widow, a bit half-heartedly. Then I sigh, deflating a bit, and match my voice to her low tone. "Its not that, really..." I guess I am a little nervous about meeting with Carlo, but that's just normal nerves, it's not what's bothering me. "You missed it, but, after you left, Mad Wolf attacked the doc's to get at me, uh, I stole the serum from her originally, and she and her dogs really messed the place up. It could have gone really badly, and it wasn't like it was us protecting people or anything. Just because of me." I let out a groan. I know I shouldn't feel bad for it, she's the one who decided to attack, but, I still do. "It might be safer for you to ditch me and find someone with powers who won't almost die fighting a normal person with a sword and a bunch of dogs."

Clearing Angry and...

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Also, Black Widow already has influence on Lucky Star, so you get to shift my labels.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

quote:

Brass asks:
What are you really planning?
What do you intend to do?
What do you want me to do?

I have the grace to look sheepish as I come clean.

"It's not very hypothetical at all, really. There's a girl being coerced by Dai Ushi into using an old Titan formula, and I think the side effects are going to kill her. I want to either prevent her from taking any more, or find some way to prevent the side effects. And I was hoping you might be able to help me work up a counter-formula, or some kind of stabilizing element. I have a few ideas, but I don't have the facilities here to do even basic research."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Team: 5

Prototype: Brass watches your face the entire time, in the way he does when he wants to make sure you're not trying to pull one over on him. Satisfied, he rubs his chin with his hand. "Hmmm.... Yeah, I think I could start working on something. Ideally I'd have bloodwork of hers on hand to make an antidote, but I could do the set up." But you can see he's not just going to give that to you just yet. "Who is this girl? Find out who she is, what her deal is. But don't let her know your true intentions so she doesn't just go to Dai Ushi. You can follow her, see where they're making this older version, and destroy that too. Then get her to stop being a test subject for the Helldrakes." What do you make of this plan? What do you do?

Wraith: Brass seems like he's willing to use Sun-Hwa to have you guys wreck the Helldrake's plans before helping her out. What do you think of that? What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I stare her square in the eyes. At first it's like... c'mon, guys, I leave you alone for like a half-hour and all that happens? Then, I sigh. I say, "Lucky, I can't really say much about that. I put people in danger just by existing, thanks to who my dad is. What it comes down to, for me anyways, is that you did some real good work at the warehouse. You helped Temple get out of there in one piece and, hell, you even saved me from getting all shot up."

Confirming, so first shifting +Freak/-Superior and then +Freak/-Mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot



Danger -1 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

I mean, it's not a bad plan. I don't know how for certain much time Sun-Hwa has before her symptoms get out of control, but we should have at least enough time to trace after her and find the lab. Of course, if she doesn't want to change her mind and the whole thing blows out of control getting blood work done for her could be the least of my worries. Guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

"Sure, kill two birds with one stone. Makes sense. I've got enough personal information to find her, I can get a report ready for you in...72 hours? My suit needs a few repairs, but I should be ok to do some legwork without it."

Right now what I really need is rest and fluids, not playing detective. Looking at Wraith I'm pretty sure she's in the same boat, but it's kind of hard to tell. Like is that a bruise on her cheek or is it just that colour now? I catch myself staring and shake my head to clear it. I smile brightly at Brass, and try to make it obvious that he should give us some space.

"That's pretty much it for tonight, I think."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »