Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Danger -2 | Freak +0 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

I guess... I still don't feel great, but I do feel a little better. I mean, it's like with Black Widow, she can't not be the kid of the Spider, and I can't change what I did to piss Mad Wolf off, but if I just quit, she'd probably come after me at home or in school - at least I'm doing good while putting people at risk. Relaxing a bit, I smile at her and reach out to squeeze her hand. "Thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Team: 5

Black Widow and Lucky Star: Carbine takes you to Kingway, the neighboorhood where the Carlotti family resides. She parks the car in a nearby parking lot, and opens the trunk. "No way they're going to let me carry all this inside," she says as she takes her weapons off. She puts the assault rifle in, places a pistol and silencer next to each other, and hesitates before leaving the knife in there...as if she was wondering if it could have been possible to sneak it in. She sighs and closes the trunk.

The three of you walk up to the largest and fanciest mansion, the gates closed. Carbine pushes a button near the eye of a camera and says "I'm here with Black Widow and Lucky Star to meet Carlos." There's quite a long period of silence, during which Carbine keeps an eye out. You finally hear the person on the other end respond.

"We'll have our guards meet you right outside the front door. Keep your hands visible at all times and allow them to make sure you aren't carrying anything inside." The gate opens, and you see two people - one man with a pistol in hand and a woman with a gun held to her side that searches you three. If it weren't for where you were meeting and what's going on, you'd think they were just casual friends of Carlos.

"Everything good, Desiaere?" The man asks.

She nods. "They don't have anything." She turns to you. "You'll follow me and Lawson to the dining room now."

The walk there is fairly uneventuful, aside from the staff that works there glancing at you when you're nearby and the opulence of the mansion that sticks out to you two - this is someone who will never want for anything. Carbine keeps looking around and focusing on the guns your guides have. Soon you're brought forth to where Temple and Carlos are waiting...with several armed people by their side. Carlos gives Black Widow a friendly wave. "Black Widow, I'm so glad you came here! I hope you didn't bring Carbine here to kill everyone!" He smiles, although the rest of his people look a little nerveous. "That's be rather rude! The chef is making dinner in the kitchen." He begins pouring wine into a glass. "Would you like some? It's okay, I won't tell if you don't."

"Don't worry about me - I already ate and drank," Carbine says. She stands to attention, despite Temple and Carlos sitting down. Carlos shrugs, and waits for your responses. What do you do?

Prototype: Brass nods. "Good. I'll be back within 3 days to see how you're doing." He doesn't say it, but there's a definite 'don't dissapoint me' there in his tone. He looks at your damaged suit. "In the future be careful. Your suit helps, but you've got a fairly good team - someone like Wraith might do a better job handling someone like Blood Opal. Your strength is here." He touches his index finger to your head. "Not really here," he says as he takes hold of one of your hands and turns it into a fist. Do you accept what his words?

If you accept his words shift Superior Up and Danger down, and he'll be on his way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Danger -2 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +3 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

I think about arguing the point, but...hell, he's right. Every time I threw hands tonight all I got was smacked down. I'm not going to stop fighting, but maybe I can pick my battles a little better? I nod in agreement.

"Sure thing, Brass. I'll be careful. You be careful on your way home, too. Lot of crazies out there tonight."

I'm not sure if he smiles at my weak joke or at the idea of me being careful. I'm actually not sure that was a smile at all. Maybe just a trick of the light?

After he leaves I manage to make it to one of couches scattered around the room before collapsing (slowly and carefully, mindful of my injuries). I groan loudly, partly from residual pain and partly because I feel like I made a huge rear end of myself tonight. There's only one person here to ask about it, but I have to be sure.

"Hey, Esme? Can you do me a couple of favors? There's vodka in the fridge labelled 'solvent', could you bring the bottle?"

Kind of assumes Brass didn't find it and confiscate it, but I'm pretty sure he would have said something.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Danger -2 | Freak +0 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

Holding my arms out, I let the woman - Desiaere - do the search, trying not to wince or make any other signs as she goes over my wounds. I don't think I quite managed it. But that isn't the main thing on my mind as they lead the three of us into the Carlotti mansion. So far, everything has been more or less what I expect, but things get a bit weird once we're introduced to Carlos, and Temple again. Somehow, I'd pictured Carlos as a fat mafia boss type. Doing a better job of not showing my surprise than I did at the patdown, I smile at the two of them, giving Temple a very slight hand wave. I saved his life, so I've got one friend here, at least. And then he offers us wine, and I perk up immediately. "I'd love some!" ...Look, its not like I can sneak booze at home, Mom's already suspicious enough from my sneaking out for heroics. I don't get a chance like this very often, and he's probably got some really good stuff.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I play it cool as we go through the pat-down. I figure it's a power move more than anything. I mean, he knows what I can do. Lucky isn't exactly the type to pack a gun either. Now, Carbine? Totally fair to check on that end. The mansion... well, I'm not going to say it isn't classy as hell. Too classy for my tastes, but clearly crime pays in this town.

I say, "Hey, Carlos, thanks for fitting us in." I look at Carbine for a sec, then back to Carlos. I do leave our association with Carbine a little vague as I add on, "And don't worry, we're just here to talk tonight."

When they offer us a seat at the table and a drink, I do sit down — no reason to be rude here — but I pass on the wine. It's hard to see through the suit, but my tone is light as I refuse. I say, "I appreciate it, but I'll pass." Lucky will probably drink enough for the both of us and, hey, presenting myself as the middle ground between her and Carbine might play to what I want to have happen. I'm serious, but willing to meet them halfway.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lucky Star: One of the servants pours you a glass of the wine, and then pours some for Temple and Carlos. Temple returns your wave. Carbine looks like she's thinking about if she should say something about you drinking, but decides not to. Carlos's guards are looking over the three of you, but you notice they kind of just glance at you - they seem to focus more on watching Carbine and Black Widow then you. What do you do?

Black Widow: "So what are you here for, Ms. Widow? Do you want some help with your efforts in Koreatown or something? I'd be happy to grant you a favor for what you've done today. I can't imagine it'll be a problem for me." Carlos takes a sip from his glass. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I say, "Well, now that you mention it, I do have something in mind." I meet his gaze, all business. "I want you to leave the Russians to me and my team. I think we're agreed that they need to go, but I want to make sure that nobody gets caught in the crossfire."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Danger -2 | Freak +0 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

Sitting down next to Black Widow, I take the drink eagerly and and halfway through my first sip - maybe a bit more than a sip - when she lays out her plan. I don't choke on it or anything, I knew that was more or less what we were here for, but I do splutter a little bit, surprised at how blunt she was about this. Looking over at the others to see their reactions, I do notice they're not taking me as seriously - if at all - as the others. Well, if they want to underestimate me, that's fine, I'll show them! While they all focus on Black Widow, I stare intently at Carlos, focusing on how he reacts to all of this. It's a pretty big ask, considering they kidnapped his boyfriend!

@Lucky Star: 2d6+2 pierce carlos' mask = (1+2)+2 = 5
markinggggg potentialllll

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Black Widow: Carlos pauses and looks at you to see if you're serious. "I guess I need to work on my imagination." But Temple leans over and begins to whisper in his ear. When they're done, Carlos looks over at Lucky Star. "But maybe we can see if there's a deal to be made."

Lucky Star: You watch Carlos and for a moment he looks like he's about to tell Black Widow to ask for something else - but then Temple begins whispering to him. He looks to you. "So you can go through solid objects, right? You ever use that to get something you want or are you a good kid?" He smiles playfully. "Would you like to take something from Spider for me?"

What do you two do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Danger -2 | Freak +0 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

Wait. Wait. Waaaaait. How... how had I never thought of that?! Forget finding someone at school with a fake ID! Ahhh, I'm a goody-two-shoes idiot! Mentally berating myself, it takes a second for the big impact to sink in. He wants me to steal from The Spider. Me. That's... can I do it? No, I definitely can! Do I want to? ...Yeah. Yeah I do. Opening my mouth to agree, I pause, glancing at Black Widow, close it, and smile at Carlos. "I'd like to hear more before I agree to anything," nice, that's a good line, "but if I think I can do it, in exchange for leaving the Russians to us, yeah. I'm in." This is going to be so cool - I mainly just hope he doesn't ask me to steal something we don't want anyone getting their hands on.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless

I've been quietly listening in on their conversation, letting Mae do all the talking. There's not much I have to say, and honestly, all I want is to get some rest after the crazy day we've just had, and I get the feeling Mae might want the same thing, too.

I give Mae a nod, "Yea, sure," and go get the thing Mae wanted from the fridge. After a minute, I return back to Mae with the bottle, and hand it over to her. "Little too early to drink, don't ya think?" Wow, that was a really bad attempt at a joke there. "Are you really okay with this? Using that Sun-Hwa girl to get to the Helldrakes?" I ask her bluntly.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lucky Star: "Great! Now you're asking a pretty big favor from me. I want to make sure people I care about aren't targeted." He looks at Black Widow as he says this. "Your dad did take two important people away from me." He returns his gaze to you. "Making an example out of them would ensure that. But I'm willing to let you deal with Russians your own way this time. Spider has people working on making that Titan stuff. From what I've learned, someone he recently hired managed to make a single dose. I'll give you the address of where it's being made, and you just have to get it and give it to me. Does that sound good to you?" What do you do?

Black Widow: Carlos is talking about when Spider had his older brother and father killed for an assassination attempt his brother made on Spider. He's probably trying to guilt trip you into going along with his demand. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

[quote="thatbastardken" post="493999955"]

Danger -2 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +3 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

I take a swig from the bottle without breaking eye contact, grimace (I really could use this crap as a solvent) and offer it back to Esme before shrugging in response to her joke.

"What're you going to do about it, call the cops?"

I don't smile at her more serious question.

"It's not...The thing is...I don't know. I don't know if it's right and I don't know if I like it. I do know that we, and by we I mean Brass, are probably her only chance of getting the help she needs. If treating it as an intelligence gathering operation is what it takes to get him on board, that's what I'll do."

I sigh and slump a little further into the couch.

"Turns out there's a lot I don't know. I didn't know Blood Opal was on the elixir. Didn't know Lucky Star had stolen her dose from a dog-crazed vigilante. For someone who's supposed to be a leader I'm in the dark a lot."

I try to turn the mood around a little:

"But hey, we made it out alive tonight! Saved at least one person, even if they are a gangster. Long as we hang together, things can only get better, right?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I look over at Lucky to see how she reacts to that, given she'd be on point, and contemplating the ask. I mean, on the one hand, giving him some Titan is probably a bad idea... but if we don't, then we burn this connection entirely. Either way, we definitely don't want the Spider to have a production line going. As for the guilt trip... man, whatever. I like Carlos better than some of the other options, but these guys knew what this life was like before they dove in. Some of us didn't have a choice in the matter.

I say, "That seems like a pretty fair offer. You up for it, Lucky?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless

I slump down the couch beside Mae, and take the bottle, "Probably," I pause to take a swig myself, the continue on, "Today could've gone better, but it could've gone worse, too. A lot worse. It's a goddamn miracle we got out of that shitshow alive," I hand the bottle back over to her, "But the fact we're all still breathing is a good enough excuse to celebrate, if ya ask me."

quote:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Hrmmmm..." Taking another drink of the rather excellent wine to cover my thinking... If I manage to get my hands on some Elixir, I really should give it to Mad Wolf... on the other hand, I really shouldn't give it to Mad Wolf. But I want her off my back. But arranging to steal something from the Spider for Carlos and then not giving it to him seems like a great way to piss everyone possible off without getting what we want. Yeah, I should just stick with this plan. They'll be more chances, and time to figure out if I should give it to Mad Wolf or not. Black Widow agreeing to the terms helps make this a bit easier. Setting the glass back down, I smack my lips once - it's really good! - and then nod. "I'd like any information you have on the location beyond the address to. But we've got a deal."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Black Widow: Temple takes a drink from his own wine glass. "Might I ask why you want to handle the Russians on your own? What are you trying to get out of them?" He looks at you while waiting for your response. What do you do?

Lucky Star: "No problem." He writes down an address. "It's a run down apartment building that actually has decent security and alarms. It's in the Steel Districts, being used by the Spider's people. Most people just think there's just normal criminal behavior going on, but what I want is in the basement. Good news is that there isn't too much security there - my guess is Spider doesn't want to draw attention. Boy will he be mad when it's gone anyway." He smiles. "I think Black Widow might be happy about that. Compared to her, it was a lot easier for me to piss my old man off. I just had to bring Temple over and be close to him. He was worried people would think I was gay!" He laughs. Then, for a second, his eyes fill with tears before he wipes them away and hands you the paper. His eyes are clear now. "Feel free to call back to let me know if you change your mind. It's all right if you do. I would be very happy to personally put a bullet in each of those Russian's heads." His smile returns. "Good luck...Star?" He guesses at your name from your outfit. He reaches his hand out to shake yours. What do you do?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 25, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

[quote="thatbastardken" post="493999955"]

I take the bottle and hold it up in a toast.

"Hell yeah, I'll drink to miracles and coming home alive."

The second swig tastes less like engine de-greaser, and combined with the blood loss has me feeling pleasantly light headed. I pass Esme the bottle and lean against her, resting my head on her shoulder. I start talking, but I'm pretty sure it sounds like rambling nonsense

"Without your strength I'm pretty sure none of us would have come home alive. You were amazing! I thought those Helldrakes were going to poo poo themselves at one point. If I'd done half as well we could have taken them, I bet."

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

"I figure if I do this, I make things a little better for the people around here... and stop a gang war before it starts." I shrug, "If people stop seeing him when they look at me, all the better."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Lucky Star," I correct him with a small grin as I shake his hand. It's a bit hard to tell if that showing was genuine or designed to make my sympathetic, or both, but I can't pretend it wasn't effective. I'm just still a bit suspicious still. He is the boss of a crime family in my neighborhood... though not one of the one's I've got a grudge against personally. "Thanks. And for the wine." Leaning forward, I grin and lower my voice conspiratorially. "If it's not too much to ask, could I have a bottle to bring back for the rest of my friends? I don't think Black Widow is used to drinking with company either."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty

“Hey, don’t beat yourself up about it, alright?” I slip an arm over Mai’s shoulder, “Being a leader isn’t easy, but you did the best you could, and I know you can do better next time. You got the brains and the brawn, and I can’t think of a more fitting leader to our weirdo group,” I lean the side of my head on hers, “And you know I’ve got your back. Next time someone tries to mess you up, I’ll make sure they get a lesson they never forget.”

Confirming that Prototype’s been a good leader!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The dinner comes by, a really good quality meal. Carlos can obviously afford the best chefs, and it's delicious.

Black Widow: "Hmmm," Temple says as he swirls his glass. But it's the kind of "Hmmm" that means I hear what you're saying but I don't really believe it. "Good luck with that then." He smiles, but insincerely.

Carbine meanwhile, looks to you every now and then. At one point she gives you smile. She might not have thought things would work out, but you made them work out. Take Influence on Carbine. She continues to watch over the two of you as you eat.

Lucky Star: "Thank you for joining me you two. I thought this was going to be a simple request. Boy was I surprised! But it turned out to be good for both of us." He motions to one of the servers. "Get them another bottle." They nod and head off. He smiles. "You know, for being a group of heroes you sure do remind me of myself when I was younger. We'd get what we could to drink and celebrate. Good times."

Do the two of you have anything else you'd like to do or bring up before dinner is over and you head back?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I can tell Temple is being a little saucy, but what the hell? It'll make it all the sweeter when I show him I'm going to do exactly what I say. Add in that Carbine seems to be softening up and I'd call this a pretty successful evening.

As things wind down and Lucky gets her to-go bottle, I say, "Thank you for your hospitality tonight. We'll be in touch when it's done."

Marking the first box of Respect on Carbine and, past that, I don't have anything pressing.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Black Widow and Lucky Star: After dinner winds down (and Lucky gets a bottle of wine), Carlos waves goodbye to the three of you. Lawson and Desiare lead you back out and the gates close behind you. Carbine brings you back to Koreatown. "Good job there you two," she says as she drops you off. "See you around." She leaves, and the two of you head to Prototype's base. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Heading into the base feeling a bit better about myself than before, I've got a bottle of wine, a mission, a moral quandary and a sense that I'm not a total fuckup. Open the door to the room Wraith and Prototype are in, I give them a wave as I see them. "Hey, I've got - oh, looks like you've already started!" Cheap vodka, I can do better than that! Setting down the bottle of mafia wine between them with a thunk, I grin at them. "I got us some good stuff from Carlos. Come on Black Widow," I wave her over to join us as I set down next to them. "We all almost died tonight, but we didn't, lets get druuuuunk!"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Danger -2 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +3 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 4/5 | Conditions:

I'm just sort of snoozing on Wraith's shoulder when Lucky and Widow come in, and I startle to full consciousness. I'm momentarily flustered and concerned - was I snoring? did I drool? - but Anne's irrepressible energy is contagious, and I find myself smiling and raising a glass before I have time to think things like...should we really be taking gifts from mafia dudes? Ah, hell with it. Serious questions can wait till tomorrow.

"Hell yeah, let's party! And by party I mostly mean sit around, because I'm still super sore."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None

Alright, on the level, there's a reason I didn't drink with the mob tonight: you know how my body knits itself back together? Well, it works on poisons too. It'd take mainlining a handle of vodka or whatever, by my estimation, to get a buzz. I figure keeping that under the radar will pay off sooner than later... and honestly I bet it'll be pretty funny to see everyone else get tipsy.

I grab a pair of glasses and sit down next to Lucky, across from Wraith and Prototype. I say, "Sounds like things got a little crazy after I left, huh? You two okay?" I put a hand on Lucky's shoulder and give it a comforting squeeze. "Lucky did a great job with Carlos and his crew tonight. We managed to talk them into holding off on the rest of the Russians, so we'll have a chance to take care of things quietly... and with a helluva lot less shooting."

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 1:18 PM
@Black Widow: 2d6-1 comfort lucky = (6+1)-1 = 6

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Danger -2 | Freak 0 | Savior +3 | Superior +3 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 4/5 | Conditions:

I nod in response to Widow's question about my status.

"Yeah, no more damage. And hey Lucky...good work. Less assholes shooting at each other on our streets, the better."

adding team to the roll

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Team: 4

Prototype: What does Brass think of Carlo, and of making a deal with him? Is this something you're going to let him know about or keep secret?

Wraith: What was one encouter you had with Carlo and/or any of his people before today? How did it go?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"A sitting party is still a party!" Popping the cork out of the bottle, I pour a generous helping into each of the four glasses before setting the bottle down between us. Taking mine, I look between Prototype and Black Widow, blushing a little. ""Nahhh, I didn't," I demure, "I just agreed to help after you made the proposal - well, saving Temple didn't hurt, well, I guess I did, didn't I?" Totally failing to act humble, I drink down their praise, along with some of the wine - I've already gotten a bit of a head start back at Carlo's. "But we all did good work today, especially with Mad Wolf! You two really saved my butt! I thought she had me with that sword outside until you charged in Wraith!" Leaning over, I pat her on the back, then phase my hand through her to take her hand holding her glass and bring it up to her lips. "Come on, drink up!"

Removing Insecure

@Lucky Star: 2d6+3 comfort/support Wraith (+ influence) = (5+2)+3 = 10, I'll also remove Guilty

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -2 | Mundane +0 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

Hearing Carlo's name again takes me back, back before I had my little... change. Me and my old gang once got into big trouble with the law, but before poo poo could get worse for us, Carlos stepped in out of nowhere, and convinced the cops to let us go. He pulled our asses out of the fire that day, and he didn't even ask for anything in return. Not sure why he'd go out of his way to help a buncha trouble making kids like us, but I'm not complaining.

"Hey, don't mention it. I wasn't going to sit back and let some psycho bitch mess you up." I'm barely phased (heh) when she phases her hand through me... but I do end up blushing just a little when she takes my hand, "Wow. Didn't know I can grow a third arm out of my chest now," I deadpan, "But if you insist, who am I to say no?" And then I drink the entire thing down in one gulp.

Clearing Guilty!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Prototype: What does Brass think of Carlo, and of making a deal with him? Is this something you're going to let him know about or keep secret?

Well, he's no great fan. Describes him as toxic and corrosive, or alternately as like a tick. But...he doesn't have the kind of hate for the man that he reserves for the Spider. It's just business with Carlo, even if that business is in direct opposition. Making a formal deal with him would, I guess, probably be a bad idea - lie down with dogs and get fleas, right? But if we had to pick someone to leave alone while we focus on the worst of the worst, Brass would probably pick him. That said, I don't need to tell him everything all the time, right? Maybe it's the booze talking but I'm kinda sick of being kicked around and given orders tonight.

I'm not even half way through the wine before I fall asleep on Wraith's shoulder.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
About a week passes. You all have your regular lives after all - most of you anyway. But now's the time to act on the plans made during that time. The Russians haven't poked their heads out any time recently, and Carlo hasn't gone after them. For now.

Team: 1

Wraith: You seen Helldrake Syndicate members drop by Mr. Fujimoto's shop, Blood Opal among them. They asked if he's seen you or your friends around, and remind him that protecting any of you would be really bad. But you also saw them do the same to other people. Looks like they're trying to figure out who might know you and don't truly suspect him. Their talks are a lot friendlier to him then the other people too. He's probably fine, unless someone finds out he really is hiding you.

Prototype: Your suits fixed up, and with the information Black Widow gave you you can find out more on Sun-Hwa. Every Friday evening she apparently heads out from her apartment and goes to Dai Ushi. You're not sure what happens in there, but it probably has something to do with the Elixer. She's picked up by two Helldrake women in a car, and dropped off at her home later on.

Wraith and Prototype, how do you plan to get to Sun-Hwa? What do the two of you do?

Black Widow: Some time during the last week, you came home to Officer Ironside waiting for you by the door. He asked you if you know of anything going on, and made sure to mention that he could make sure you don't get in trouble if you let him know - meaning he thinks you're up to something. What did you tell him?

Lucky Star: You've been keeping an ear out for any more reports of Titan Elixer being made, but you ran into a bit of a snag - your mom has begun to try and make an effort to hang out with you at home. You get the idea that she's trying to connect with you and stop you from getting into fights at school. Did you go along with it or blow her off in order to get the information you wanted?

Black Widow and Lucky Star: Right now you're in the Steel Districts, looking like two teens taking the old dirty bus. When you get off, you see the apartment building Carlo was talking about. There's actually quite a lot of people hanging out in the parking area in the front of the run down building. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Danger -2 | Freak +0 | Savior +3 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2 || Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: None

Marking off the Drive 'get drunk or high with a teammate', gaining a Potential. For my Advance, I'll take Straight. Up. Creepin'

On the bus over, I let out several small sighs, but wave it off if Black Widow asks. It isn't that I don't like spending time with my mom, I love my mom, even if she's not who she was, and who she used to be is a huge inspiration! But when I'm in the middle of trying to scout some important intel to get a psycho with a pack of wild dogs off my back, it isn't a great time to keep having her drop by to talk about school and my life and to have me help her cook dinner or watch a movie together. I don't want to blow her off, and so I haven't been, but, ugh, I'm going to have to soon, or Mad Wolf might attack her next. Maybe I can sign up for a club - or pretend to - and use that as cover to go out for a bit each day afterschool, then head home, and then head out at night? Arghhh! This is too complicated. I wish she'd just go back to being disappointed.

I have to stop thinking about it when we get to the site though. Shaking my head clear and taking a sip of water from my water bottle, I casually glance the place over as we approach. There's a lot of people out front - I thought Carlo said it was supposed to be lightly guarded. Not much we can do about that but make a face though. I look over at Black Widow. "Alright, Alexa, I've got a plan. Follow my lead and try to look scruffier." I give her a wink, then pull out two canisters of spray paint from inside my jacket and toss one lightly over to her. "And act like you're bad trying to be inconspicuous." This is a good chance to really show her what I can do - she had to save my butt back in the warehouse fight, but not this time!

Taking my own advice, I lead the way past the side of the parking lot, over to the wall of the building next to the apartments, making sure the canister is half visible to anyone looking. It doesn't matter if they come over to kick us out, as long as they think we're just a pair of punk teens who want to do some graffiti, we'll have a chance to check the place out up close without them being suspicious.

@Lucky Star: 2d6+2 straight up creepin = (1+3)+2 = 6
Assuming we use our team on that, going to ask "What's the best way in"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None

Ironside? He doesn't know half as much as he thinks he does. I mean, first off, if he was in the loop he'd be too busy making GBS threads himself over who my dad is to actually hassle me. That means he thinks I'm getting sucked into some street-level thug poo poo. Probably the 'Drakes, which isn't true at all.

Hell, if he only knew that I'd taken down a full on team of killers at the warehouses... I don't even know what he'd do about that. The cops are corrupt as hell, but I always got the vibe that he cared. At least a little. I fed him a line about trying to get a little money to install an alarm or something, since, y'know, my last apartment got bombed. I don't think he bought it, but it's not like he can connect me and Widow either.

When Lucky suggests we do a whole hoodlum disguise thing, I'm a little skeptical. I mean, she can slip through a wall and I'm not going to have much trouble at all going up a fire escape or something before the people out front see. It's whatever, though. Not like a can of spray paint will slow me down if I need to throw down with a city block.

I tug down my hood and spin my canister of paint on a finger in a deliberately showy gesture before stuffing it in a pocket. Might as well sell it for as long as it works. I say, "Sure. Just make a break inside if things go south. I'll be on distraction duty."

Spending a team to help the ploy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

When Blood Opal showed up to the workshop i nearly panicked, but I managed to keep my face down in the engine of the car I was working on and not drop anything or vomit into the oil filter I just replaced. She doesn't know my face or my voice, but if she saw me and figured out who I'm related to I'd bet she'd take a much closer look, Fujimoto's old allegiance aside. As it is she's only seen my backside in a pair of overalls, and I hope that's not enough for her to make any kind of connection. I definitely don't need her figuring me out before I at least help Sun-Hwa.

If Wraith was still around, this would be easy. She could just...drop down on the bonnet of the car and smash it up, wreck the Helldrakes, and then we could steal Sun-Hwa away to get her the help she needs. On my own i have to careful, even in my freshly repaired suit. That's why I'm hiding on on the roof opposite Sun-Hwa's apartment waiting for her to go out for the evening. I'm in the shadow cast where a HVAC vent sits in front of a flickering billboard, so I should be pretty drat close to invisible unless you look closely enough to see the faint fluorescent glow of my night vision gear. That gives me plenty of space to zone out and think, the sensors in the suit will let me know if a car pulls up on the street, or if my target starts to move on her own. How to approach? I could track the car but if Blood Opal is there I don't like my chances of fighting my way clear if it goes wrong. I could get into Sun-Hwa's apartment while she's away, see what psychological levers I could pull to get her to come with me of her own accord. I could disable the streetlights and try to ambush her and her visitors - but I don't want to hurt her, or frighten her away.

When the flashy sedan with the tinted windows pulls up and my little alarm beeps at me it's decision time. Do I go, or do I stay?

@Prototype: 2d6+3 assess the situation outside the apartment = (6+4)+3 = 13

What here can I use to help Sun-Hwa?
How could I best end this quickly?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lucky Star: Several of the people notice you, watch you walk towards the building with the spray cans in hand and immediately point you out to the others in a 'Hey! Look what this idiot is doing!' manner. You've gotten attention and several of them head over. By the time they've reached close enough to talk you've scouted a decent place.

Now, you being you, you have your pick of where to go "in" - just walk through the wall. But there are people inside, so what you really need is a place you can walk through that people won't notice. And in the upper left corner of the building you see a janitor's closet. You're not sure if the janitor is in, or has been in for a while. Just walk in through the walls and then walk out through the door before figuring out where the basement is.

But now the people have gotten closer, and they'll probably follow you and see if you try that now. What do you do?

Black Widow: Lucky Star checks the place out as the people in front reach you. "Whatta want us to do Alejo?" you hear from the assorted people in the group. One of them steps forward and looks at the spray cans, and then you. "You two have to be dumbest fuckers I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty dumb fucks here. This isn't your place. Go play hooky somewhere else." He lights a cigarette and waves you away. "I'm feeling nice, I'll just let you go with a warning. Go on, get out." What do you do?

Prototype: Looking at the apartment, you're not sure if you can get Sun-Hwa to come with you. But it'd probably be easier to confront her before she gets to the car and the two women there are able to get in your way. You're not too sure what you could actually use to show her why she should come with you...well...maybe your suit? She clearly had a lovely time with the low quality elixer she's had to take. If you show her that not only do you understand how it works, but it helped you to build and maintain a suit like that? She might be willing to hear you out.

As you're putting this together, you see Sun-Hwa pick up her phone and read a text message. She grabs a coat and begins to head out. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, that's a pretty good play. Dazzle her with the suit and then promise a cure for what's ailing her. I need to get to her quickly and without attracting attention, which means I'm going to have to go over the street to her roof and then drop down. I've...tested the power assist jump functionality pretty thoroughly, and it works! But I did the tests in an abandoned warehouse with plenty of old tires and mattresses piled up for a reason, and if I don't stick the landing it could get messy. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained, right? I take a few steps back, dash forward, and put power to the leg servo-motors as I leap:

@Prototype: 2d6+0 unleash powers crossing the street = (6+4)+0 = 10

And land on the other side like a big, metal cat. No muss, no fuss. Then it's a simple matter of dropping down a couple of stories to get ahead of Sun-Hwa before she leaves the building. I'm crouching like a gargoyle on the porch roof above the front door when she comes out. The nearest streetlight dies with a sizzling sound (not me, just a lovely power grid and cheap infrastructure) giving perfect mood lighting as I speak from behind and above her, so that she has to swing round and look up into the dark at me in my suit, hi-tech and menacing:

"Sun-Hwa. You have to make an important decision, and you need to make it fast. Blood Opal is playing you. The serum she's giving you is flawed, if you keep taking it you don't have long to live. You're probably already feeling some of the side effects - stiffness, respiratory distress, headaches? Without my help you'll only live long enough to be a bullet fired in a gang war. I can help you, cure you, or make you better. If that's what you want. Of course, if you want to be a disposable tool you can stay working for the Helldrakes."

I drop down the last couple of meters so she can see me clearly in the dim porch light. Deciding to take a super dumb risk I open my helmet and look her in the eyes, speaking the last few words without the voice changer:

"Or you can come with me and be a hero."

@Prototype: 2d6+4 provoke sun-hwa (assess bonus) = (4+3)+4 = 11

I want Sun-Hwa to come with me and not tell the Helldrakes about it, for preference.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Freak +0 | Danger +2 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane -1 || Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: None

Well, whatever. This is the part where things go south and I'm on distraction duty. I give Lucky a quick look, hoping she's remembered the plan we just talked about, and say, "Alright, Pendejo, last I checked it's a free country. Why don't you go gently caress yourself?"

With that, I huck my can of spraypaint right at Alejo's face and settle into a stance. I can feel the oily material of my costume trying to break free and cover me, but I hold it back for now. No use broadcasting that Black Widow was here... though I may need to take the slow way home so my bruises fade before I'm back in the neighborhood after all this.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 8:23 PM
@Black Widow: 2d6+2 directly engage = (2+1)+2 = 5

+potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Prototype: Sun-Hwa nearly leaps back in surprise when you pop out and almost shouts before you stay talking. But she seems interested and waits for you to finish "You know how to get some of that Titan stuff?" She frowns a little though. "It's Dai who's giving me what she's been able to get, not Blood Opal. Don't you work with Alexa Ibañez though? Seems a bit rich for you offer me heroship." Despite her jab here, you can see she's willing to come with you. What do you do?

Black Widow: Alejo ducks at the right moment and the spray can goes flying over his head. He lunges forward and grabs your arm, yanking you forward. You fall to the ground, and suddenly feel your costume being to form on your skin - including where Alejo is grabbing you. He lets go in shock and yells "What the gently caress?!" Several of the others see it as he back up and let out a shout or yell of surprise as it grows, stops, retracts, and grows again while you're dealing with almost being attacked while worrying about it showing up. They probably don't know you're Black Widow yet, but they sure as hell know there's something unnatural about you now. What do you do?