Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
where have allk the ipOds gonew?
Don't know
don't care
they still make them they send them from china
i hope that they upgrade this website soon
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
how is said child going to put music on an iPod in tyool 2019 moocow? answer me that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
2019 is the year of itunes on the desktop(?)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

2019 is the year of itunes on the desktop(?)

Childe abuse requests banned in YOSPOS.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

all the ipod is gone

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
get her one of these it contains all the songs she'll ever need

or maybe a zune from ebay idk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I’ve had an iPod touch sitting in the glovebox of my 2009 altima for 10 years now and it still works perfectly

but now I use my iphone with CarPlay in my GTI. don’t live in the past op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it is possible to install the music streaming service Spotify on the iPod touch.

the iPod Touch is for those who want all the modern conveniences of the apple App Store without having to make or receive those pesky phone calls, or do that whole mobile internet craze.

also it saves the parents a whopping $150 which could be invested in more useful things like booze.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

it is possible to install the music streaming service Spotify on the iPod touch.

the iPod Touch is for those who want all the modern conveniences of the apple App Store without having to make or receive those pesky phone calls, or do that whole mobile internet craze.

also it saves the parents a whopping $150 which could be invested in more useful things like booze.

Costco has a 12-, 15-, and 18-year three pack of Glenlivet for like 99 bucks. You could also add on a bottle of their Nadura with the extra 50?

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Other music players are available.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

let's take a walk down memory lane and see what the failing new york times had to say about the ipod in 2001:

quote:

STATE OF THE ART; Apple's Musical Rendition: A Jukebox Fed by the Mac

APPLE doesn't send out greeting cards very often, especially by FedEx. So when the company mailed cards to reporters last week, too soon for Christmas and too rushed for Halloween, some curiosity was understandable. The message inside heralded the imminent unveiling of ''a breakthrough digital device'' that Apple wouldn't identify, except to say that it wasn't a Mac.

What could the new machine be? On the Web, Apple fans and foes whipped themselves into a frenzy of speculation.

What Apple finally unveiled on Tuesday is the iPod, which is to arrive in stores Nov. 10. ''Breakthrough digital device'' might be pushing it. As it turns out, the iPod is basically a portable music player. Still, it may be the finest portable music player ever built.

The first thing you notice about the iPod is, well, that you notice it: you can't flash this thing in public without getting stopped by passers-by. In typical fashion, Apple has designed an absolutely ravishing machine, part mirror-finish stainless steel and part white acrylic, whose shine, fit and finish you can't see in photos. At 4 by 2.4 by 0.8 inches, the iPod nestles in your hand like a deck of cards whose edges have been laser-rounded for your comfort.

Compact size is nothing new for MP3 players, of course. For joggers, gym hounds and anyone else who likes to listen to music or books while mobile, portability is exactly the point.

What is new, however, is the iPod's capacity, given its size. Whereas a typical pager-size player offers a piddling 64 megabytes of storage, the iPod contains a 5-gigabyte hard drive (about 78 times as much room). At standard MP3 quality, 128 kilobits per second, that's enough to hold 66 hours of music, 130 albums or 1,300 songs. Of course, Creative Labs' Nomad and Archos's Jukebox 6000 have that much storage and more, but they're the size of CD players and weigh twice as much as the 6.5-ounce iPod. Don't try jamming one of those players in your pocket unless you're going for the shredded-jeans look.

The other remarkable feature of the iPod is its synergy with a Macintosh. (The iPod can't talk to Windows machines at the moment, but Apple is exploring the possibility.) On the Mac, you use the new 2.0 version of Apple's free, highly regarded iTunes 2.0 software as the loading dock for the iPod. This software not only fills in the names of your songs and albums (by consulting an Internet database), but can also convert the songs in your CD collection to MP3 files, burn them onto new, custom CD's if you like (even the new-style MP3 CD's, which can hold far more than 74 minutes of music) and search, sort and organize your entire music library into subsets called playlists.

Then you simply connect the iPod to the Mac. You don't have to click a single button. The simple act of plugging in the cable starts up the iTunes program, which, Palm Pilot-style, automatically updates the iPod's music library to match its own.

This auto-sync business is remarkable enough, but the real news is how fast it happens. The iPod is the first MP3 player equipped with a high-speed FireWire cable. As a result, the player scarfs down your MP3, AIFF or WAV files about 30 times as fast as other MP3 players, which generally have only U.S.B. connectors. A 100-song collection takes about one minute to transfer. A job that would take five minutes on a typical MP3 player -- say, downloading the ''Lion King'' cast album -- takes nine seconds with the iPod.

Apple's use of FireWire permits the iPod to perform two other tricks that leave other MP3 players slack-jawed at the starting line. First, the Mac recharges the iPod's built-in lithium-polymer battery over the FireWire cable, avoiding the need for a separate charging cord. The iPod does come with a power adapter for the wall -- but it connects to the iPod's same single FireWire cable. That's a blessing for those who think that life is too full of cables already.

The FireWire cable also permits the iPod's hard drive to show up on the Mac's screen as an icon, exactly as though it's, well, a hard drive. At this point, you can drag data files and folders onto it. In other words, this music player doubles as a very fast, extremely chic-looking backup disk. (A few other jukebox-style MP3 players can also perform this stunt, but only via slow U.S.B. connectors.)

Once the player is loaded up with music, you're ready to listen. The iPod's snow-white pair of detached, free-dangling earpieces known as ear buds sound terrific, although I have never been able to keep ear buds in place without a little duct tape. Fortunately, you can substitute any headphones you like, or even connect the iPod to your stereo system.

The music just keeps going and going. Apple says that the iPod can play music continuously for 10 hours on a charge, but that's not quite accurate: my iPod cruised at full volume for 13 continuous hours, longer than any other hard-drive-based MP3 player. Moreover, the iPod can keep 20 minutes' worth of music in skip-proof memory. Forget about potholes; this player seems built to deliver uninterrupted playback even in rodeos, earthquakes and lines for World Series tickets.

A tuning dial on the iPod's face lets you rapidly navigate your songs by title, playlist, album or performer with one hand. The crisp, six-line, two-inch grayscale screen identifies the current song, the time remaining and so on. (One button press turns on the screen's backlight, which is bright enough for late-night reading under the covers.) All of the usual functions -- rewind, next track, volume, and so on -- are so easy to master that Apple can be forgiven, just this once, for providing only a one-sheet manual.

That Apple's designers have obviously obsessed over the iPod is both good news and bad. As sometimes happens in products built at the altar of coolness, function occasionally suffers. For example, there is no belt clip, which could be an issue for joggers whose sweat pants lack pockets. The chromelike finish looks glamorous and, as a handy bonus, offers one of the world's few socially acceptable ways for men to carry a mirror. Unfortunately, fingerprints and streaks dull its shine faster than you can say, ''Honey, where do we keep the Windex?''

Even among Mac fans whose hearts are pierced by this machine's overwhelming coolness, however, the toughest pill to swallow is likely to be the iPod's price: $400. For that money, you could buy a Creative Labs Nomad with four times the capacity (20 gigabytes instead of 5). Or, if five or six gigs is plenty, you could buy the Archos Jukebox for only $250.

Of course, Apple would say that's like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo. Those rival players have smaller screens, shorter battery life, inferior skip protection and far less refined software. They're huge and heavy, and their slow U.S.B. connectors take forever to suck in music from the PC.

Apple clearly believes that the iPod's advances in size, speed, function and elegance are worth the $150 price premium, but not everyone feels that way. In an informal poll at the Macworld.com Web site, 40 percent of Mac fans indicated that they would not be buying an iPod, and every single one cited the price.

It should also be noted, however, that the remaining 60 percent had either already ordered iPods or were virtually drooling onto their keyboards. They are among the first to succumb to the lure of the most beautiful and cleverly engineered MP3 player ever. But if Apple ever lowers the iPod's price and develops Windows software for it, watch out: the invasion of the iPod people will surely begin in earnest.

lmao @ thinking this thing would succeed without windows support or even a belt clip, and mac people thinking four hundred usa dollars was too much to pay for a handheld apple device

also, gonna start putting the emphasis on the second word in "ear buds", like how Peter Gregory says "burger king"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no wireless, less space than a nomad. lame

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ocean of Milk posted:

where do i put my wax cylinders? :confused:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ocean of Milk posted:

shameful lack of Spotify

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the short story is that the iPod is now known as the Apple Watch.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

i know the whereabouts of two of them. one is on my desk, and the other is in my car.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

no one person should have that many Is pod. no one.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

relative_q posted:

i know the whereabouts of two of them. one is on my desk, and the other is in my car.

i found an 80gb classic but it needs a new battery. would you like me to send it to you ?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I found my iPod pile, op.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thanks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

takes me back to 2006, rolling my eyes when my parents spell it I-pod

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

The Management posted:

I found my iPod pile, op.

no joke if any of those are spinny drive ipods classic they might fetch $$$

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I can’t remember which designer it was, but they would travel everywhere with a case full of iPod classics to hold their terabyte of music or whatever they needed at all times

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

albert einstien.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

I can’t remember which designer it was, but they would travel everywhere with a case full of iPod classics to hold their terabyte of music or whatever they needed at all times

i think that was calvin klein

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

OldAlias posted:

at that point why wouldn't you use a nomad or whatever that chunky one was that had a full 3.5" hard disk in it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

~Coxy posted:

at that point why wouldn't you use a nomad or whatever that chunky one was that had a full 3.5" hard disk in it

I thought the nomad was a 2.5” though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

graph posted:

i found an 80gb classic but it needs a new battery. would you like me to send it to you ?

i don't really need an 80gb, i've already got a 30gb and a 160gb. thanks tho

• Locked thread