Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

It was a moment of calm.
The moment before death.
Something utterly fleeting yet lasting for eternity.
Before I was shot in the heart.
Before I was stabbed in my stomach.
Before one of a thousand grisly occurrences.

But...

They weren't real.

That calm, that terror, all of it...
was just a dream.
No, not just a dream.
A premonition of things to come.

Just as well, as no knight in shining armor came to save me.
All that lay before me was my bedroom, just as it was the night before.
Entirely unchanged.
As it would be until that dread storm came raging through this little town.

I got up and headed over to the kitchen, bathed in the rosy light of dawn.
But in my heart I know that making breakfast is a distraction.
Something I am doing to put off the summoning.
After all, in this era one cannot wait to be saved.
Even if there is such a thing as "fate."
It must be brought about by one's own hands.

Welcome to Fate/ hidden dawn, a Choose Your Own Adventure game set in a rough analogue of the Fate/stay night universe. You (which is to say, collectively all of you) are to take the role of a Mage who, either due to a "bad feeling" about what's going to happen or based on years of careful preparation will be participating in a Holy Grail War - a contest in which magi summon famous heroes from history in the form of powerful Heroic Spirits, corresponding to a number of role-based Classes, and engage in a free for all battle to kill each other in order to gain an all powerful wish. This is made more complicated by the fact that in this case, the War is going to be held in Summerfield, New Jersey. A fictional town that is analogous to several real towns in the state, in that one of its focuses is providing hotel and conference services for large numbers of businessmen given the proximity of a large number of corporate headquarters. Something that is being taken advantage of by the planners of other events which require conference space and the ability to host a large number of people...

By which I mean that the Holy Grail War just so happens to be simultaneously timed with a series of anime and science fiction conventions that will be present in town for the next week. Please try to show some restraint and not murder the first guy in a funny looking costume, if possible?

What I would like to see is a background for our Mage according to the following categories. I am going to be running things relatively loose mechanics-wise, and will prefer to give narrative based-choices (although if an outlier option wins, i'll run with that), but I still would prefer to have parameters for defaulting towards.

Name

Appearance

Personality

History

Skills/Abilities

Preferred Servant, if any - Okay, this one's a bit special. As mentioned above, you are being given the luxury of being able to summon your servant at your own leisure. For this reason I will take servant suggestions (and the class they fit) into account, especially if they can be justified by the presence of a catalyst or similar personalities. This is to be REASONABLE. If you go entirely against the historical/mythological basis without a compelling and interesting reason, or try to suggest that you have a catalyst that is outside of your capacity to acquire then that is going to result in either me ignoring the suggestion or BAD THINGS happening to the summoning system. This is probably also a good place to note that you are NOT playing the servant that your Magus summons, though they are to at least SOME degree willing to work with you. So think carefully before trying to summon some kind of horrible avatar of destruction whose first instinct is to raze the town to the ground because that's what wins the War "the fastest."

Submission and voting will conclude 72 hours from the time of this post. If you are voting for someone's submission, please BOLD your vote.

EDIT: Discord now up here: https://discord.gg/yGsDtPD

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Name: Helen Lustrous (Gotta keep some silly names to keep it Type-Moon accurate.

Appearance

Source.

Personality

Ordinarily rather quiet once she manages to get close to anybody she becomes a lot more upbeat and eager to make friends with. Very cynical about family and relationships. Will eagerly jump into any sort of entertainment and socializing she can get.

History

For the first 15 years of her life Helen was an fairly ordinary young woman. She went to school, made friends, played video games and posted memes on social media

Then her older brother died unexpectedly. Not only did she have to deal with the sudden loss of a family member but Helen ended up being introduced to the real family business.

It's not uncommon for Magus families to keep the secret of their craft to the children who aren't designated the heir to the family's Magic Crest. By the time she was born her brother had been learning Magecraft for ten years, and so her parents decided to just keep things simple and let her stay ignorant. Until she no longer could.

They couldn't withdraw her from school, but they sure could kill her social life. The next three years were hell. They pulled the Magic Crest out of her brother's corpse and began the process of implanting it in her body. Now she feels like she wants to tear her arms off constantly. Hours spent learning how the Mysteries of her family's magecraft worked, and that lead to the worst part.

She was drat good at it. Despite not wanting anything to do with Magecraft she proved to be far more talented than her late brother. Picking up concepts in hours that took him days.

When the Command Spells popped up on her hand she immediately saw an opportunity. A chance to escape. If the Holy Grail can grant any wish, than surely it can bring her brother back to life, give him her magical talent, and let her be a normal human being again?

Skills/Abilities

The Lustrous family specializes in "Transference Magecraft." They can take the properties of one object and transfer it to another. For instance, taking an ice cube and transferring the property of "Will Melt" into another object of similar mass. The larger the object and/or the more complex the property, the more magical energy and concentration it takes. Also it's nigh impossible to permanently perform a transfer outside of her workshop, eventually the World will notice that bike locks can't actually melt at room premature and snap it back into place.

She's also actually familiar with video games and anime, unlike a lot of Magi.

Preferred Servant:

I don't really have a preferred Servant. Generally in the Fate franchise the Servant is meant to be a foil or compliment to the Master. So for her goal I think that people from mythology or religious texts that in some way dealt with death and an attempt to reverse it. So you'd have their reactions to their own success or failure coloring her goals. Go for something interesting plot wise.

Or go crazy with somebody out of left feel to contrast her in other ways. Either is good.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 21, 2019

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Name: Deel Rehtom

Appearance: short grey hair and clear transparent orange iris. A middle aged man with layers of long coat and top hat. Rough outline of regrowing beard can be seen at close inspection of his wide jaw. A man with the physique of a mountain build.

Personality: Fearless man who seen enough paranormal in life to knows fearing means death in the face of horror. A man who long forgotten the sense of humor for staying in the dark side of humanity for too long.

History : Born under a magical family who suppose to have ended its magical lineage for two generations, a oddity child who was support to fade with the sheep of the world and live a normal life. However, the last mage of Rehtom refused his fate of ending generations of hard work to no successor, and deviced an concise series of action to preserve his zombified arm crafted into a family heirloom bracelet to be passed to the child who have the magic to inherit the family crest of the zombie arm.

The moment Deel attach the bracelet to his arm at the adult ceremony at 13, the artifact activated and successfully passed the family crest to his arm, this continuing the fsmily legacy. The bracelet, however, are latched bone deep into the skin by design to ensure the successor can’t get rid of it easily and to entices Deel to seeks out the family library for ways to removes it.

For the next ten years of his life, Deel learned the intermediate level of magic through family text without the knowledge of the mage association. Seeking the removal of this ‘cursed’ bracelet, he have no choice but to use the holy grail to removed it before the bracelet activates it’s final function.

Skills/Abilities
Cursed Bracelet: An unremarkable ornament in silver with magical inscription. No jewelry or value to make it worth selling, but the family crest it provides will grant sights to the supernatural and undeath in order to the ‘harvest’ their negative energy to the empowerment of magecraft. An undead version of human sacrifice using negative emotions of those who refuses to pass one peacefully.

Intermediate Magecraft: There’s only so much you can learn without an mentor. While it should only be possible to master the basic level with only text, the cursed bracelet provided the extra power to move the practice and experiment practice to thr next level.

Paranormal Hunter: A few years of harvesting from the tamest ghost to the violent wraith makes Deel is decent seeker, investigator, and combatant.

Preferred Servant
Seeking to enpowers his summoning circle with the greatest natural negative power in New Jersey, the unnatural artificial leyway of the Devil Tree accidentally become the catalyst that brought forth something more than he is willing to bargain for.

Berserker Jersey Devil of the local folklore.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 21, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

+1

Unless something better (team hunger) comes along.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Name: Helen Lustrous (Gotta keep some silly names to keep it Type-Moon accurate.

Appearance

Source.

Personality

Ordinarily rather quiet once she manages to get close to anybody she becomes a lot more upbeat and eager to make friends with. Very cynical about family and relationships. Will eagerly jump into any sort of entertainment and socializing she can get.

History

For the first 15 years of her life Helen was an fairly ordinary young woman. She went to school, made friends, played video games and posted memes on social media

Then her older brother died unexpectedly. Not only did she have to deal with the sudden loss of a family member but Helen ended up being introduced to the real family business.

It's not uncommon for Magus families to keep the secret of their craft to the children who aren't designated the heir to the family's Magic Crest. By the time she was born her brother had been learning Magecraft for ten years, and so her parents decided to just keep things simple and let her stay ignorant. Until she no longer could.

They couldn't withdraw her from school, but they sure could kill her social life. The next three years were hell. They pulled the Magic Crest out of her brother's corpse and began the process of implanting it in her body. Now she feels like she wants to tear her arms off constantly. Hours spent learning how the Mysteries of her family's magecraft worked, and that lead to the worst part.

She was drat good at it. Despite not wanting anything to do with Magecraft she proved to be far more talented than her late brother. Picking up concepts in hours that took him days.

When the Command Spells popped up on her hand she immediately saw an opportunity. A chance to escape. If the Holy Grail can grant any wish, than surely it can bring her brother back to life, give him her magical talent, and let her be a normal human being again?

Skills/Abilities

The Lustrous family specializes in "Transference Magecraft." They can take the properties of one object and transfer it to another. For instance, taking an ice cube and transferring the property of "Will Melt" into another object of similar mass. The larger the object and/or the more complex the property, the more magical energy and concentration it takes. Also it's nigh impossible to permanently perform a transfer outside of her workshop, eventually the World will notice that bike locks can't actually melt at room premature and snap it back into place.

Preferred Servant:

I don't really have a preferred Servant. Generally in the Fate franchise the Servant is meant to be a foil or compliment to the Master. So for her goal I think that people from mythology or religious texts that in some way dealt with death and an attempt to reverse it. So you'd have their reactions to their own success or failure coloring her goals. Go for something interesting plot wise.

Or go crazy with somebody out of left feel to contrast her in other ways. Either is good.

Aight.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A vote for Helen Lustrous with a suggestion to make her servant the orator Alcibiates.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Gonna vote for Helen Lustrous with a suggestion to make her Servant Orpheus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Helen, Servant Assassin (Any Hassan, probably Serenity-chan)

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 24, 2019

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Appearance

Source.

Personality

History

Skills/Abilities

Preferred Servant:

the son from the monkeys paw

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Helen Lustrous Servant Asclepius, the first user of Third Magic.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 22, 2019

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Seems a lot of people are onboard for Helen but I thought I'd put out a try anyway before the deadline

Name: Duncan Meridies

Appearance

Personality

Duncan is impulsive by nature. Although he goes through life in a general good humor and with self-assurance in his own ability, he's often quick to get frustrated and change tracks on something even when it's not strictly necessary. This can lead to frustration and anger when things don't go his way, although it's not in his nature to hold a grudge and he's often quick to bounce back to a good mood. At heart he's an optimist and it takes a lot to push him to giving up completely because in his mind he can always find another angle of attack.

Some of these attributes have been severely dampened in recent years, and the gnawing of self-doubt and fear that finding a solution may be impossible are becoming more common for him. Long periods of disaster can do that to a person.

History

Duncan was born to be a winner. His family had been on the rise for the last four generations in the Clock Tower's hierarchy, carefully playing the games of the great families, gathering resources, picking battles carefully and pushing forward in their research to gain prestige. It was common knowledge that Duncan, the Sixth Head of the Meridies, would finally bring them into the realm of true prestige by attaining the Clock Tower's 4th rank of Fes... but Duncan had greater ambitions. He had talent his fore-bearers didn't in the realm of magic, even more than his father would admit. He was certain he was a prodigy, capable of pushing through to some great achievement or unlocking a unique power that could push his family into the 3rd Rank, Pride, and perhaps even earn a title from the Association's Color system, which recognizes unique and valuable ability.

Arrogance and impatience with traditional study and research led him to seek a certain magus with a rare gift: the power to awaken a person's Origin, the driving force behind their very existence which can in Mages sometimes lead them to tremendous power. There Duncan learned the true nature of his soul - "Star-Crossed." That is to say, "thwarted by a malign star." He was a man born to have his great destiny brought to ruin.

Duncan faced one disaster after another from that day forward. Deaths in the family (the first of which was his father, causing stewardship of the family to fall squarely on him), crumbling alliances, failures in research, censure and disgrace throughout the mage world. The Meridies family became a punchline within 5 years of the rise of it's Sixth Head. On the brink of total despair, Duncan awoke one morning to discover the mark of a Command Spell on his hand. Could the power of an omnipotent wish-granting device touch the very core of his being, and change the nature of his Origin? The only way to find out was to win this Holy Grail War.

Skills/Abilities

Duncan's family specializes in Empathic Manipulation. While telepathy, the manipulation of the mind and reading thoughts, and defenses against it are common, the manipulation and reading of emotions is a drastically underrated field that the Meridies were happy to exploit. In addition to being able to nudge the feelings of others in order to make them more pliable, and read the emotions of others in order to deduce their true motives, Self-Manipulation has a variety of uses - for instance, turning the emotion of fear into excitement can be useful in avoiding paralysis in a dangerous situation, or remove a mental block when doing something risky. The Third Family Head theorized that Empathic Manipulation could even be a pathway to The Root by creating a perfect emotional state to achieve a form of both bio-chemical and spiritual "enlightenment," thus allowing one to transcend the normal physical limits of magic circuits. By attuning body and soul perfectly one would attain the ability to leave this world. However, this research has not yet borne fruit.

Duncan's elemental affinity is for Wind, and his combat style of mainly defensive and evasive, including heavy use of binding. His limited talent for Counter-Magic suits this specialty well.

In more mundane skills, he's rather good in social settings. He's charismatic and easy to talk to, and he can often charm his way into and out of tough situations. He's also got good negotiation skills, always handy when dealing with business affairs or tricky contracts. For everything else that's gone wrong, at least his family doesn't want for cash. He's also a big fan of bourbon and scotch.

Preferred Servant, if any: Duncan had grand plans for the Heroic Spirit he would summon. He would need no small amount of fame in order for the spirit's power to be competitive, but more than he sought a hero who specialized in the defiance of impossible odds. He knew with his Origin he would need a hero from whom mere Destiny would not be an impediment. To that end he targeted three: Hannibal Barca, the great general who brought Rome to its knees, Elizabeth Gloriana, the queen who defied the Spanish Armada, and Oda Nobunaga, the demonic unifier of Japan's Warring States.

However, as was to be expected, his designs will be inevitably thwarted, and instead of calling forth one of these heroes who claimed victory and infamy in defiance of the stars, he will instead call forth one whose great destinies they curtailed, or who died in obscurity as footnotes to their legends: Scipio Africanus (Rider), King Phillip II (Caster), or Imagawa Yoshitomo (Saber)

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 23, 2019

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Alright, so I didn't expect a submission this late, so i'm going to say that submissions are closed but I will leave another 24 hours for new votes/people to change their mind.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Going with Helen

Prefered Servant: Medea as a fellow magician practitioner who got screwed over by forces outsider their control(and would also be into our nerd poo poo). Otherwise Cursed Arm Hassan since he's obsessed with immortality in a fashion.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Helen, with the Servant Archer, Bad King John, who carries the Noble Phantasm Spite of Lions. A cursed quiver of arrows that deals A- level damage to Kings and Gods, and D+ level damage to serfs and peasants.

The petty lords of the continent never spared John a moment of peace, and he never spared them a moment of his hatred.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Also I realized that since there are actually a moderate amount of people interested in this, I might as well make a Discord server for people to talk about it if they want: https://discord.gg/yGsDtPD

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Name: Nate LeCrouix
aka Mark Kruz, Cecil LeCarn, Mihail Bishop, Jon Luc (original name)

Appearance:
Has the issue of his body rapidly aging to match his age and with it decaying without regular maintenance.
(Young) Age 20ish male, 5'10", slim, limber, but solid. Capable of working as a laborman
(Old) Age 70-80ish male, 5'7", somewhat thin and frail. Still has a full set of hair.

Personality:
When in control: Inquisitive, likes to question everything. Pokes at anything and everything mysterious if allowed. Especially if it involves the human body.
Hides his insanity pretty well despite the fact that he could lose control of his body at any moment due to his victims.

History:
A french alchemist from the 1700s, Jon Luc originally lived in a rural village until it was devastated by a plague. Throughout this epidemic, Jon Luc tried to cure this disease by studying his family's medical texts, inadvertently learning of his mage origins and the ability to use alchemy. With his inevitable failure to solve the epidemic, he continued to learn the ways of alchemy as a coping mechanism.

Throughout the years he has rigorously studied in the fields of medicine, chemistry, and magic with the goal of curing any disease that he comes across. This goal eventually faded away when he started elongating his life with unsavory methods (he ate people (with alchemy)). Fast forward to the modern day, he continued his studies and roams around the world as a traveling doctor. Eating people and learning of the advances in the medical sciences.

During his travels, he quickly learns the consequences of eating people via transmutation. His victims are still alive, in him, and they talk. Talk, and can obtain control of his body.

Upon arriving in Britain, Jon (now Nate LeCrouix) learns of the existence of the real Holy Grail and its powerful wish granting abilities. Thus he sets off, to purge his body of all the souls of the victims he carries and to be granted true immortality.

Skills/Abilities:
Self-Taught Alchemist
Territory Creation
Chemist
Doctor
Liquid Metal Manipulation - Mercury and Bismuth

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I vote any assassin because I wish to spin the Wheel of Hassans.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I actually want Orpheus for Helen. Lets drag her to hell and back.

DenjinKenshin
Feb 25, 2014
I vote for Orpheus as well.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I vote for a Hassan.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Since my character got no groundswell I'll vote for Orpheus to go with Helen, that seems like a fun pairing

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

EDIT: Apparently a bunch of people wrote in last minute votes as I was doing this.

VOTING CLOSED as of the time of this writing, 11:17 AM EST. Anybody else wants to sneak in one, I ain't having it.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 24, 2019

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Going to say I prefer Orpheus

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Breakfast.

The breakfast I place on the table is a mixture of eloquently prepared but lazily chosen.
Toast with butter, a grapefruit neatly cut into halves, an omelet, a small bit of salad, and a glass of water.
It's a quiet scene - I wish it wasn't, but there isn't anyone left to talk to any more.
Not at the table, i'd have avoided talking to my parents if I had to saw my own leg off.
But someone to talk with over Facebook as to how much school sucks or what was going around the internet at 3 AM?

Of course i'd have had to lie today anyway.
The Holy Grail War?
Who would believe something like that?
Why was I believing something like that?
Apart from it being an excuse to go out to a hotel in the middle of nowhere.
And maybe have a chance to not deal with this any more.

I considered moving the sound from my fork and knife somewhere else to complete the picture?
If you're going to eat in silence, might as well be complete silence so nothing can bother you.
But it was a waste of time, and I was already pushing things far as it was by having breakfast.
The peak time of my magical energy is a bit after dawn, so if I was being really strict i'd have already made the summoning circle.

As I said, I was procrastinating.

Down goes the meal, right down to the very last bit of the omelet.
I grimace at that part though, the various flavorings put in: the slices of green pepper, the chunks of onion, the last remnants of a block of cheese sitting in the fridge...
They didn't mix well for some reason, and combined with the eggs being too runny this was pretty much a disaster.
Let's be honest, i'm not that greatest of cooks and I was kind of distracted.

I make sure to clean up the dishes and frying pan.
Wouldn't want the first thoughts of the Servant to be that their Master's a slob.
Though given that i'm summoning them in a kitchen, they'll probably think that anyway?

What?

Of course i'm not summoning them somewhere else!
This is the only place in the room that has a tile floor.
It is a pain to try and get blood out of carpets and i'd really rather not have to deal with it!
Well... I could probably make the carpet not hold onto it that well, but even then it wasn't like i'd be doing the summoning at the height of luxury.
It's a pretty cheap hotel, since I expect that i'll be here for a while.

I go over to the fridge and take out a jar of my own blood.
I've been saving it for a few days, since before I left home.
Wouldn't want to pass out in the middle of the ritual, right?
Especially if I have to think about how this blood isn't really mine in a sense.
Just a way to pass down the legacy of the Lustrous family to a future generation...

I set the jar down for a bit as my arms tremble at the thought.
Then I steady myself, open the jar and begin painting the symbol on the tiled floor.

There are words of magic, words of power spoken, pain, I ignore them all.
To take a metaphor for the whole process to its logical conclusion:
The Helen doing this isn't really me.
Just an instrument to help the Holy Grail bring a Servant into the world.

The only thing that can be said to belong to me, the only thing that I do not ignore...
Is the catalyst in my pocket.
A tablet made from gold, which my family acquired at a very high price.
Though less so than one would think considering the strong black market for antiquities even now.

My parents agreed because it had links to Greece, that ancient land filled with Mystery, surely to provide a strong Servant.
I insisted because its contents fit with my wish for the Holy Grail:

"Now you have died and now you have come into being, O thrice happy one, on this same day. Tell Persephone that the Bacchic One himself released you."

Release my brother from death?
Release me from this curse of Magecraft?
All the same, really.

I start to pay attention again when a shining light enters the world revealing the class card of... an Assassin?

That's...
I...

I'm kind of nervous at this point, because this isn't quite going how I expected.
But there is clearly a servant standing before me, so I couldn't have messed it up too badly.
On top of the summoning circle there is a pale skinned young man with short, curly, white hair, dressed in a dark purple robe.
A robe so dark that it's barely a few shades above black, "wine-dark" seems more appropriate.
His hands hold a lyre, an ancient Greek string instrument, and his face carries an expression of complete dignified calm, though with a sad look in his gold colored eyes that seems to be far away.

My first thought is to be struck stupid by the fact that i've apparently summoned a white-haired pretty boy straight from an anime.
My second thought is that he still looks a little bit out of sorts and hasn't said anything.
I guess I ended up with a servant as awkward as I am, huh?
Well, we can't just sit here staring, me at him, and him into space, forever...

Vote

1. Ask the Servant about himself, directly.

2. Try to offer him something, see if that snaps him out of it?

3. No, y'know what we can just sit here for a while. We'll see who wins this awkward off!

Something else?

Vote to be closed 24 hours from now.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

three. We must assert our dominance

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

2 Offer him a snack.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 24, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
3. Awkward staring contest, GO!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
2 - Food

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

3 - Estabilish dominance by staring.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Look this one in the eye and see what happens.

DenjinKenshin
Feb 25, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
2, you're in a kitchen, at least give him a glass of water.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

2. Cooking with Helen-kun

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

2- Helen cook time baby.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
3 Because it's never too early to have a tense face off in a grail war.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Music: https://fordbeats.bandcamp.com/track/salmon-water

Well if he wants to be like that, i'll just have to snap him out of it.

Taking my leave of the boy...
No, even with that dreamlike innocence of youth and that dumb look on his face, it's clear that he's older than me.
Leaving my servant to continue to be off in his own little dream world,
I walk over to the kitchen cabinets and open them up.
They're full of junk food for when I don't have time to cook anything.

Or more realistically...
When I can't stand my own cooking any more.

I take out a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips, before closing the cabinet doors.
And walk back the short distance to the refrigerator.
After fumbling with the bag for a few seconds, I manage to open it and stick it in front of his face.
Moments later the scent of fake sour cream wafts out into the room.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl4oLJzPyOc

The young man's eyes appear to come back to reality, as the background music that I hadn't noticed was playing abruptly shifts in nature to a more reverential song, something like a hymn.

He speaks for the first time, very softly, with a beautiful lilt of undefined origin that conveys an expression of surprise: "An offering?"
Based on what I knew before coming in here I would have guessed the young man would have had a Greek accent, but it doesn't seem that way...
Rather what I hear is something meant for me.

For me!

A unique and wonderful sound never heard before in the history of the world, and my Servant developed it on the spot for my ears only!

Wait.

I can feel myself recoiling at how utterly sappy this all sounds.
Okay yeah, maybe I should have been a little bit more prepared for a servant who can alter your emotional state just by talking, when he gets excited.
Only my own natural cynicism saved me in the end from becoming utterly smitten, and I was still knocked for a loop for a few seconds there.
Only at this point do I notice that the bag of potato chips in my hand has vanished.
Assassin is standing over by the cooktop, pouring a good portion of the bag onto an open flame.
Only after a sufficient amount of chips have fallen onto the fire, creating a messy little pile of burning carbohydrates does he take a few for himself.

While eating, in a more restrained tone of voice he states: "Since you have held nothing back, surely I, Assassin shall put forth my utmost effort for you in this War!"

At this point i'm sort of just staring at the young man in shock.
Was he aware of what was going on this whole time and this meant to be some kind of test?
I find myself wishing that this is the case because the alternative...
The alternative is that this guy was out of touch with reality until the very last second!
He didn’t even recognize I was his Master, he just made a deal with me because I seemed like the right sort of person!
What kind of hopeless Assassin is this?!

I sink to the floor in dismay.
Assassin seems kind of regretful at this and offers me the remainder of the bag of chips.
I refuse.
Looking increasingly nervous, he starts plucking a few strings on his lyre, but I immediately tell him to stop.
I don’t want him to just alter my emotions to make me happy without changing anything about the situation...
Except even without him touching the lyre, there’s still that hymn playing in the background.
I ask him what the deal with that is.

He runs the hand that’s not holding the bag of chips through his hair and patiently explains:

“Even as an Assassin, music is at the core of who I am. It doesn’t affect the world as strongly as if I was another class, but Apollo still blesses me, if only to help arrange my thoughts and warn me of danger.”

“So why can I hear it?”

“Because you’re my Master. That’s why I didn’t need to ask.”

So it turns out that it was a little bit of both.
Assassin didn’t need to know if I was his Master because the question had already been answered.
But he was genuinely surprised by a display of generosity and panicked.
Such is the nature of this Servant:
The kind of artist who gets lost in his music, and yet sees the world more deeply because of it.

I wipe away these thoughts and instead go and observe his parameters.
Better that I know what i’m dealing with before something else happens.

quote:

Class: Assassin
True Name: Orpheus
Sex: Male
Height/Weight:171 cm 64 kg
Alignment: True Neutral

Statistics

Strength: C
Endurance: D
Agility: A
Mana: C
Luck: E
Noble Phantasm: A

Noble Phantasm

Lyra: My Faithful Companion Through the Heavens and the Depths is the golden lyre granted by Apollo to Orpheus, which followed him throughout all his life and beyond his death, to join him as an oracle before being placed into the sky as a constellation. As an Assassin it takes the form of an ordinary lyre, or upon active use, a lyre shrouded in darkness apart from a few twinkling points of starlight resembling the constellation. Lyra is an A-Rank Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm, capable of conveying the full depth of emotion in Orpheus songs’ in a manner that can be translated into the World as practical effects. A song capable of lifting a person’s spirits can physically bring them out of the depths of the Underworld. A song of grievous injury is capable of sending someone there.

Class/Personal Skills

Presence Concealment: A - Hides one's presence as a Servant. Suitable for spying. It is possible to disappear completely and become nearly impossible to be detected. The rank of Presence Concealment drops considerably when preparing to attack.Would be A+, but the capabilities allowing Orpheus to enact his will on the world through music also prevent this highest degree of secrecy.
Divinity: A - Son of Calliope, and in some myths, Apollo. After his death, his severed head formed the basis of a revered oracle whose prophecies were well regarded, even as far as Babylon. As a living being, Orpheus is denied access to Clairvoyance, but this is still sufficient to establish him in the Throne of Gods.
Siren Song: EX - The signature ability of Orpheus, the result of a beautiful voice capable of producing a mesmerising Magecraft-like effect powerful enough to affect even a goddess. As an Assassin this can only target a single individual at a time, but this individual will be affected regardless of gender. Resistance against conscious usage is possible via Magic Resistance, Madness Enhancement, or an act of supreme willpower.
Keeper of the Secret Cult: A - As the primary promoter of the mystery cult, particularly those dedicated to Apollo and Cthonic Dionysus, few know better than Orpheus how to deal with that which is forbidden. Capable of communicating with individuals at long ranges without being traced, though this is mutually exclusive with Siren Song: EX. Automatically capable of communication with Orpheus' Master. Increased effectiveness of rituals performed under Orpheus’ guidance. Orpheus has a high chance of automatically knowing the identity of a Greek Mythological Servant.
Protection of the Music God (True): C - This skill is weakened due to Orpheus being summoned in the Assassin class, however Apollo still favors him to some extent. Orpheus receives increased awareness of his surroundings in the form of music. Can also be used for utility purposes. Linked to Orpheus’ Master to increase the effectiveness of the situational awareness granted by this skill.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg

Wait, what?

“Assassin, what the hell is this?!”

It seems like i’ve been busy reading the statistics sheet for a bit. At some point Assassin put down the bag of potato chips and now appears to be carrying a newspaper.

“Well Master, while you were occupied, someone slipped a bundle of papers under the door. I investigated it and it appears to be a bulletin of recent local events. The front page consists of a number of sordid kidnappings, vehicle crashes and political disputes, none of which I was really interested in, so I turned to the Entertainment section instead. The first article mentions that a widely renowned group of musicians called the ‘Backstreet Boys’ just released a new collection of songs, so I thought that I would listen to their compositions...”

I don’t really mind having the complete works of a 90’s boy band stuck in my head…
Well, at least it’s not the worst thing that Assassin could have picked.
Just… it wasn’t quite how I was expecting to start my day.
Speaking of which I should probably figure out what to do with the rest of the morning…

Vote

1. Check out more of the hotel.

2. Get in line for the convention center.

Assassin is very open to music suggestions.

Vote open for 24 hours.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 28, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also we need to introduce him to vaporwave and see what it does to his prehistoric brain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Assassin, let me introduce you to drum and base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QpInkz9so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

We should probably check for explosives...

Assassin can be introduced to the wonders of Elevator Music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQy-eJALZI0&t=143s