Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
1. Master Xehanort
2. Young Xehanort
3. Ansem
4. Xemnas
5. Braig
6. Riku Replica (or actually Riku from KH1 when he was possessed by Ansem - it wasn't made clear in the game tbh)
7. Luxord
8. Larxene
9. Marluxia
10. Terranort
11. Saix
12. Xion
13. Vanitas

You fight them all, although mostly only in 2/3 pairs at the end of the game. e.g. You team up with:
Mickey vs. Luxord/Larxene/Marluxia,
Riku vs. Xigbar and Riku Replica,
Axel/Kairi vs. Xion,
Roxas/Xion vs. Saix,
Aqua/Ven vs. Terranort and Vanitas,
Riku/Mickey vs. Young Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas,
Donald/Goofy vs. MX

Seems like you can play as Riku in the RoD twice, one early game and one late game. You also get one fight as Aqua vs. Vanitas in the LoD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Vexen and Demyx are relegated to backups for the Organization in case the others fail. Vexen convinces Demyx to not be a bitch and defect to the good guys. Vexen perfects his replicas and ends up creating empty bodies for Roxas, Namine, Xion, and Riku Replica (not sure on the last one)'s hearts to come back to basically.

Pretty sure we don't hear Luxord and Demyx's real names

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone have that interview where Nomura said he was putting all his anger into 3?

Also I was going to make a joke about there being no Final Fantasy characters because SE is a mess only Sakurai could barely deal with, but I like the idea it's actually because Nomura is being super petty.

“If I had to pick, I am a person more on the dark side like Xehanort and co., I harness the burning anger in my heart into what I create,” said Nomura. “Kingdom Hearts III’s current development explodes very much in this sense. Each time, it’s a battle with Sora and co. who are the exact opposite of myself, it’s been over 10 years and yet we haven’t reached a conclusion.

“This battle will surely last longer.

“In Kingdom Hearts III as well, I am scheming many challenges that Sora and his friends must overcome, because I myself cannot lose either. And in preparation for the great battle that lies ahead, we have this one book that looks back on their entire journey.”

bonus quote
“I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Sora at all,” Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who’s fallen prey to their dark natures. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy. How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him, and then I draw him in a way that I think he will be able to make a comeback at me. In that sense, I really think that Sora is just like an opposite personality character to who I am.”

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Two things Nomura has said that explains a lot about how poorly written KH3 is. One, he basically writes everything himself:

--You're writing the scenario yourself?

Nomura: When it comes to the scenario, including the script, in the end I write everything myself. That's not just for Toy Box. I haven't made this public before, but after KH2 generally everything was written by me, especially KH 358/2 Days.

--I see. I had thought that you assemble the plot, and then the script and other small details were assigned to someone else.

Nomura: That is how it was in the beginning. However, ever since KH2, roughly speaking I will create the outline of the scenario myself, and then (Masaru) Oka will take that and create a springboard scenario, including dialogue, that takes into consideration requests from the level design team. Then after that, I write the final manuscript myself. That's the general flow. Other staff have worked on the scenario in the past, but the KH series lore is complicated, and when lots of people are involved it gets hard to keep everyone updated on it all. In the end, I'm the one with the best grasp on it, so that's why we ended up with the style we have today.

Two, he admitted he had a tough time writing the story this time around:

I had quite a tough time writing the story this time around. So many characters appear in this game, with each of them having their own set of problems and needing to choose their own fate. They are characters that were born over the course of ten plus years, and each character has fans who love them. I ask for everyone to see their stories to the end, and see what each of them grasped from their stories. I rewrote the ending multiple times, and took a lot of time deciding how I want it to play out on the screen. After much thought, I ended up keeping it simple. I believe that KINGDOM HEARTS III is truly completed when the two thoughts - whatever you feel from playing the game, and my thoughts that I’ve secretly placed in the game - match up together. I hope that everyone playing the game will complete the game for us.

Dude really needs someone to check his obviously bad impulses. The series has a very bad inclination to jam all the story into the end of the game and Nomura obviously does not give a flying gently caress about female characters especially Kairi.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Simple and likely answer is that they started production with Olympus and Toy Box, and finished San Fransokyo, Keyblade Graveyard, and Scala ad Caelum in the last few months before release

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Kairi and Axel spent the whole game training to be keyblade wielders and they both ended up getting their asses kicked and needed Roxas and Xion to replace them. Merlin is a terrible teacher!

I mean that part woulda been fine to me, it makes sense Kairi and Axel would not be the best keyblade wielders. Its the getting kidnapped by Xemnas in a random cutscene (why can't Xemnas just do that at any point then? Teleport behind a character and drag them off using the corridors of darkness? seems really easy for him) and dying at Master Xehanort's hands that is infuriating, while Axel still manages to get some moments to shine. Don't tease us that Kairi is gonna do something and just have her be a damsel in distress plot device again.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Nomura said in an interview that Frozen was the movie that had the most restrictions on the world so I'd bet that's a reason for why that world kinda sucked and the trio/Larxene were pretty much irrelevant. Whereas didn't they actually collaborate with the Pixar people to come up with story ideas for Toy Story and Monsters Inc?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The whole World Order concept has to be the single dumbest concept in the franchise, and considering this is Kingdom Hearts we're talking about, that's really saying something

Excuse me the fact that a motherfucking X on Sora's clothing was a key plot point is still the dumbest thing in the series, as is the fact that it's called the recusant's sigil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrSSbUVCvc&t=67s

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's kind of confusing but no he didn't time travel. Lotta people kinda forget Demyx dumping a FRESH CORPSE on the lab floor before Ansem the Wise talks to Ienzo.

Roxas's poo poo talk is "I got a replica from Vexen just like you did, you suck rear end at winning people over as you had a couple moles it turns out."

If you think about it, Vexen is the real hero of KH3. The heroes would be totally screwed if he hadn't turned double agent to save Ansem, Hayner, Pence, Olette, convinced Demyx to defect, and created replicas to bring back Roxas. A true Severus Snape for our generation.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Saving Aqua & Ven definitely should have been the middle of the game, say between Monstropolis and Arendelle. Then have them 'rest up to recover their strength' or something until the end of Big Hero 6. Then you could go back to Twilight Town (or even Radiant Garden, honestly) before the Keyblade Graveyard shenanigans. You could have thrown together a plot like members of the Organization invading the lab to do some last-minute replica business, and the gang trying to hold them back. I'm sure you could do something there that would have made the Roxas business not come outta nowhere.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
edit: nvm, posted already above in thread

On Big Hero 6, I remember mid-2018 Nomura said they hadn't shown the world in trailers yet because they were still working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't fully fleshed out because it was the Disney world they worked on last. IIRC the last Disney worlds such as Neverland in KH1 and Pride Lands in KH2 felt a little rushed too.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2019

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

What fascinates me is that it isn't even an obvious "Pixar chill Disney not" thing because in KH2 you had Beauty and the Beast, arguably the most popular of the Disney renaissance films, having a batshit insane Beast vs. Anime storyline yet they won't let anything happen with Frozen which is a comparatively less serious movie

I'd say it has something to do with the fact that the team that made Frozen/is making Frozen 2 is still around whereas for older stuff the team isn't around anymore so you don't have people who are overly protective of the story yet you still have cases like Aladdin or Cinderella which follow the movie beat for beat so I dunno

Nomura had an interview last year that basically confirmed this:

Tetsuya Nomura: I can say that it has actually been increasingly difficult to get approvals from Disney. That's mainly because in the past Kingdom Hearts titles, the creator wasn't around anymore or the team that used to create those titles wasn't there anymore. There was just this one person that we would just have to go to and they would approve it and we'd be fine and good to go. But because we've been featuring recent titles, they still have existing teams for existing creators that are still working in Disney and still working on a certain title.

That feedback process just has been a little bit more difficult than before. And each team would have a different set of rules and guidelines and they would say different things, or they would look at different things. It's just been a little different that how it used to be because Kingdom Hearts is a bigger title than it was before. I think that whenever we would bring our previous titles, a lot of people at Disney, and this is my assumption, but I do assume that they probably didn't know what Kingdom Hearts was. They'd go, "What's Kingdom Hearts? I have no idea."

But now that it's become a bigger title, a lot more people have been involved in than before. In that sense the relationship with Disney has changed quite a bit. Emotional changes I don't really know if there has been any changes emotionally for me. But at least physically I can say those were the changes that we had with Disney.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/tetsuya-nomura-kingdom-hearts-3-interview

I bet if a Square Enix and Disney employee met in an elevator and pitched the idea of Kingdom Hearts today, it would never get approved. It's only something that coulda happened 20 years ago

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Q: When Sora and co leave the Final World, why did they return to the moment before their deaths?
Nomura: The power of waking is originally meant to be used to restore a sleeping heart to normal, but because it was used to strongly pull the hearts of (Sora’s) friends back to where they were, the effect caused a singularity and caused reality to be overwritten. Depending on the rewrite, it can make everything “as though it never happened”.

Lol ok Nomura. Sure why not

https://www.kh13.com/news/spoilers-nomura-has-commented-on-a-number-of-mysteries-from-kingdom-hearts-iii-r2940/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Phantom Aqua is a good boss fight because Aqua has limited options for attacks and transformations so they could tailor a super boss to her exact strengths and weaknesses.

Whereas Sora in KHIII was like “sup bitch look at my Keyblade it’s a spear now and oh gently caress now we are riding on some sick rapids suck my dick”

Was wondering if someone who knows game development could chime in how they design these things. Like for Lingering Will, did they test 'ok test Stitch, Peter Pan, Genie, Chicken Little, every drive form, magic, ability, keyblade', in various combinations mind you, just to make sure nothing is broken? If so do they have to do that for every boss in the game. Seems very time consuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
In my head Terranort should be the strongest Nort, but power levels don't really make sense in KH because its more 'do whatever is convenient for cutscene purposes' I guess.