Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The final boss fights have been posted and the guy's play time was in the 30's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The final battle is pretty bonkers tbqh
Yeah there's no giant dragon spaceship that gets summoned out of nowhere or anything but still

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

The final battle and the ones leading up to it look like giant clusterfucks. I know leakers are legally obligated to be bad at the games they play but poo poo like underwater fights with Armor Xehanort, fighting Xemnas, Ansem, and Young Xehanort at the same time, and the Vexen/Marluxia/gambler guy whose name I can't remember fights all look like a total mess

Eh the fights look tough but manageable. Unlike BBS and DDD bosses stagger properly now and every attack seems to actually be designed to be avoidable rather than adhering to the philosophy of “Eh just facetank this with Once More than use one of your 4 curagas, gently caress it”

Data Fights where you fight stronger, solo versions of each Nortganization member is high on my wish list for DLC though. Assuming such a feature isn’t already tucked away somewhere in the game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 22, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it looks pretty drat fun tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

-There’s still lag between doing a combo finisher and falling but it’s about half as long as it was in 0.2 so while not quite as fast as KH2 it doesn’t seem terrible. The larger amount of moves you can do in the air makes you a lot less helpless when you’re in freefall

-There’s a lot of combo modifiers and stuff that you can spend AP on, don’t know how much of those we’ve gotten a look at but the options seem pretty varied.

-Aerial Recovery is back to being on a different button/slot from reprisal attacks

-There are several different reprisal attacks that you can choose from and even an ability that lets you follow-up a reprisal.

-You have a bunch of options for counter attacks, and at least some of these options let you counter attack into a combo. This is a huge improvement from the counter attacks in BBS, DDD, and 0.2 which blasted enemies far away and didn’t let you do any follow-up

-Like in 0.2, you can guard in the air and cancel attack animations

-The forms look extremely fun to play around with. You can slot three keyblades onto Sora at once and switch between them on the fly. Each keyblades has its own forms and the form you were in is stored if you switch keyblades, and combos are not interrupted if you switch. So you can potentially do combos that incorporate up to three different forms, which shows a lot of potential.

-At least with the human bosses, staggering is way more consistent than in the other post-KH2 titles and bosses do a counter attack or break away after being hit a certain amount of times. There also seems to be much more deliberate design to the fights, attacks are designed with the player’s ability to dodge them in mind.

-Doing a combo when you’re close enough to Donald or Goofy lets you do special combo finishers together with them. They’re cool-looking and effective

-Some attacks like Sonic Blade that left you wide open in DDD and BBS now give you mercy invincibility.

-Attacks in general seem very snappy and satisfying. The attacks I’ve seen that are long and flaily tend to be powerful AOEs that protect you by surrounding you with hitboxes, so it seems to balance out

-The bigggest issue I still see is that the game uses 0.2’s camera and not KH2’s camera. KH2’s camera let you pull back to see the whole battlefield, making crowd control much easier. I’m not sure why they haven’t gone back to that kind of camera, maybe there’s a technical limitation, maybe pulling back the camera tanked the frame rate and they couldn’t get it to work economically, but regardless the camera seems less than ideal

It’s not perfect and I don’t know if it’ll be more fun to play than KH2, but the game looks very fun in my opinion

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s still the epilogue that is getting added in with a patch to keep people from leaking it. Not even the people who played through the game already have actually seen the full story

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s time we disposed of this notion that Tetsuya Nomura doesn’t know what he’s doing. Nomura knows exactly what he is doing.

This is what shows up onscreen when you enter the first world in KH3 :aaaaa:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

So out of curiosity, does the game just dump you straight into Olympus Colosseum at the start or is there a prologue of sorts you need to play through first?

There’s a short dive to the heart sequence and then you go right to Olympus
No chilling out with your friends in Destiny Islands/Twilight Town first

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

man that's lame as hell

It is kinda underwhelming but it’s also comparable to what other KH games had at launch.
KH1’s only optional boss when it came out in Japan was loving Phantom, the lamest, most boring poo poo ever.
KH3’s secret boss is still bland but at least looks well-designed and decently fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HGH posted:

The first thing I hear after going is them complaining about their website comments being mean, that's a stream alright.

:ok:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lezard_valeth posted:

I love how a lot of the internet theories turned out to be true like CUM GUARDIAN being Terra's heartless and Xigbar pulling an Ocelot.

And no, they weren't properly set up at all.

I totally believe that Nomura run out of ideas and one week before the draft deadline he googled for dumb KH theories and just added them all in.

There are lots of questionable twists in this series but out of all of them, these two were totally set up earlier. Maybe not "when the characters first appeared" kind of earlier, but there's a reason people predicted them.
The design of the Guardian resembles a person that is being restrained. The guardian never appears until after Terra gets Norted. After Riku fights heartless Xehanort in DDD, the guardian reaches out sadly to Riku, and then Riku repeats the exact line he said to Terra when they met on Destiny Islands. That last one is barely even foreshadowing, just telling the audience what's going on here. I'd honestly be hard-pressed to even call this one a twist at this point.
And Xigbar has *always* been a character who comes across like they know a lot more than they are letting on. I would've been more surprised if he wasn't hiding something.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 26, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Saix's battle quotes are the same lines he used in KH2 but they've been rerecorded and it sound super weird to me because I've been hearing Saix shout "BEGONE" and "THE MOON SHINES DOWN" in the same exact way for over a decade.

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3JnjxsRUT4

Holy gently caress this theme is so hype.

This theme perfectly captures the feeling "I'm gonna play the poo poo out of KH3, it's gonna be super stupid and it will totally own."

It's literally a mash-up of the three hypest boss themes in the series :tviv:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The thing that happened to Sora is probably just him getting whisked away onto another adventure anyway so even that’s not that bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The epilogue shows Eraqus putting his chess piece back on the board

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nomura’s VsXIII seemed like it was going more for a “magical yakuza” revenge story type thing. Regis looks like a standard fantasy king in the game we got but in the old trailers from when the game was still Versus XIII he looked like a mob boss.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the best designers at Square Enix spent years upon years doing work for a version of Versus XIII that never got released, and now they’re working on a Final Fantasy VII remake that will never get released.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phil doesn’t talk because his Japanese VA died

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What’s important is that everyone that matters got a happy ending

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In KH3 Riku breaks his keyblade and Yensid says “Oh don’t worry I’ll make you a new one”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rirse posted:

Why I have a feeling this will somehow happen. Master of Masters is just some guitarist who also a keyblade master in his spare time.

I knew Demyx was hiding something!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I guess KH3 kinda retconned the retcon about Xemnas? I thought DDD said that he was making up the whole “No emotions” thing but in KH3 when he’s defeated he’s back to being the tragic villain and is genuine about having not felt anything in years.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man, the Trio De Norts is easily my favorite boss fight in the game. They have so many different variations on their big combination attacks, depending on which Norts are alive. Each one has an extra set of moves and a special DM for when they’re the only Nort left. The game also regularly cycles which Nort is aggro’d on you (the one that’s glowing red) so that the fight is constantly shifting. It’s a really good way of handling a 3v3 boss fight. Not to mention the phenomenal music or the mere fact that you’re fighting the final bosses from 3 KH games at once

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m not too proud to admit it: when Roxas, Xion, and Axel started just bawling together, I teared up a bit too.

Fojar38 posted:

I just completed my level 1 run and rewatching the ending lol Sora isn't dead you assholes, he used the power of waking to teleport to wherever Kairi is which is probably Shibuya

Weird how you figured that out considering that it’s the exact opposite of what the visual language of the scene suggests. Layers upon layers I guess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

The visual language of the scene implies that a full game happened between the ending of KH3 and that scene which I guess is possible but uhhhhhh is weird even for Kingdom Hearts

No it doesn’t.
Sora says “I’m gonna get Kairi”
Mickey says “No don’t Sora it’s too dangerous you’ll seriously screw yourself over”
Sora says: “Doin’ it anyway”

Next scene you see them, Sora got Kairi back, but then disappears because he screwed hinself over.

Where’s the “full game” that happens between these two scenes? Sora did the thing he said he would do that was established that he could do but suffers the consequences from doing that thing that he was warned about earlier.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

Sora getting Kairi? Unless that spell he cast literally teleported Kairi to him in his place, Kairi is dead. He has to go to the afterlife to get her, which would be The Final World or Shibuya or something. Considering that when MX ices her she turns into the watery clear blue shards that we associate with The Final World it seems most likely she ended up there like Sora did.

It is possible that the power of waking can put him in Shibuya considering how it appeared in DDD and YX's warnings about it but that still doesn't explain how he got Kairi back or why Riku is there.

We already saw Sora use the power of waking to save people from death. We don’t need to see it again to know that’s the thing he’s doing. It didn’t take a whole game for him to revive his entire party, it took 5-10 minutes.

Young Xehanort’s warnings are foreshadowing the part where Sora disappears in front of all his friends. Like, that’s the most obvious thing in the world

Riku is probably there looking for Sora.

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 6, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

Did that scene say it was the power of waking because I skipped it this run (The Final Lich encounter is exhausting and I wasn't in the mood)

Yes, that’s literally what Xehanort is warning him about!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s the same Darkside as usual and it just took on the appearance of its surroundings. The Station of Awakening is adjacent to the Final World and Sora happened to drift closer to the latter in his dreams than usual.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arist posted:

Oh jesus christ a video popped up in my recommendations that correctly guessed the bullshit twist that Ansem/Terranort's "Guardian" (his Stand) was actually Terra the whole time

am I the only one who was awake when Dream Drop DIstance had Riku basically turn to the camera and say this was the case or what
and people were calling it basically ever since Birth By Sleep because the guardian only pops up after Terra gets norted.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 6, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

maybe the darkling holding the star is an allusion to the identity of the nameless girl Sora spoke with

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is the best music in the game and it only plays for like 10 seconds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was really happy that roxas got to eat ice cream with his friends again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terper posted:

Looking forward to 2024 when Mickey Mouse will be public domain*

*assuming no disney shenanigans

big assumption considering that Disney shenanigans are why he isn’t public domain already and disney’s only gotten bigger since then

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

"kh3's combat has no depth"

the video ends when yx goes down so the player can die and reset xemnas and ansems health and make another video where he fights them

I keep telling people to focus on the glowing one and they don’t listen!
Well there you go, guy takes no damage by focusing on the glowing one. :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Guys I beat the game yesterday and read this entire thread today and look if you think the vast majority of people who played through most or all of the KH games thought the Come Guardian was Terra or noticed that Riku said one line to him at the end of DDD that paralleled a scene in BBS you’re off your rocker.

it’s not that everyone should’ve picked up on this it’s that if someone tries to complain that it was just made up on the spot and tossed into KH3 at the last minute without any set-up they are wrong

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 12, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dark Inferno is about on par with KH2 Sephiroth as a boss.
Well-designed, consistent, and fair but simple, relatively small pool of attacks, heavily pattern-based, three escalating phases where only the 3rd one is really a threat, and completely melts if you fight him at Level 99 with the Ultima Weapon.
If you’re comparing this game at launch to how KH2 was after the equivalent of a full year of DLC you’re setting yourself up for disappointment

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dizz posted:

yeah but, it's not sephiroth.

it’s not Gilgamesh either but you don’t see me crying about it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JackDarko posted:

I'm excited to see what they do with the next game with less troubled development.

When was the last time Square Enix made a game that didn’t have a deeply troubled development

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

No data fights...

Augus posted:

If you’re comparing this game at launch to how KH2 was after the equivalent of a full year of DLC you’re setting yourself up for disappointment

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

was the fact the Osaka team was making this game and not the teams that worked on KH1, 2, and ReCoM, but not everyone can know that or care.

this is a misleading way to frame the development of this game. The “Osaka Team” working on this game had over a hundred members brought in from Tokyo to work on the game. The scale of development is not comparable to the PSP and 3DS releases

quote:

it's definitely nothing compared to the actual cool bonus bosses in previous KH games, but nothing's gonna live up to my expectations of Lingering Will and Mysterious Figure so I'm not gonna act like I was expecting anything to.

it’s not a coincidence that all the cool bonus bosses that people loved in thee past were all released anywhere from 6 months to a year after their games originally launched.

The only challenging postgame boss in KH1 when it launched in Japan was Phantom. Sephiroth, Ice Titan, and Kurt Zisa were released months later in the English version
In KH2 the only boss in either version of the base game was Sephiroth. Lingering Will was added a year later in FM
BBS when it launched in Japan only had Vanitas Remnant. No Mysterious Figure. No critical mode either, for that matter
Dream Drop Distance only ever got Julius because the game never got a major expansion

Postgame optional superbosses just aren’t a big priority in the development process. The people who make these games clearly enjoy making battles like these but they only appeal to a small part of the audience and aren’t going to be experienced by most players, so they have never been fleshed-out aspects of these games until after release when the core game is finished.

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they’ve been vague about the DLC but in the past couple months Nomura has said
1) He wants to do one major paid expansion and a bunch of small freebies
2) He wants paid DLC to be additional gameplay content, not story stuff and not, like, just keyblade skins and stuff
3) He hates season passes.

so I don’t think FM-style stuff is really a stretch here at all

Vandar posted:

The easiest way to have Sora do dual-wielding was mentioned a ton of pages back: Give him the Two Become One Keyblade and have it formchange into Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Problem solved.

this would shatter the lore of the entire kingdom hearts franchise