Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So in the wake of two overtime games yesterday, everybody's re-litigating overtime rules again. It's nearly offseason baby, let's do it.

These are the current NFL Overtime Rules for Regular and Post Season

Discussion points:

-Does the coin toss still have too much sway over the outcome? (interestingly, less than 20 percent of games have ended on a first-possession touchdown since the new rules were instated. I can't find the numbers on overall percentage of games won by the team that wins the coin toss)

-Given the difficulty in having an equitable overtime system, does it make sense to have overtime in the regular season at all?

Potential Alternatives

The NCAA Model
Pros: Both offenses are guaranteed a chance to score
Cons: Team that plays offense second gets the advantage of knowing what they need to keep the game going. Teams do switch order every playing period, but this introduces its own set of problems where the same offense and defense have to stay on the field for two consecutive possessions. Despite some safeguards (going for two is mandatory starting in 3OT) can stretch on indefinitely. Depending on your tastes, maybe this goes in the pro column. The relative ease of scoring in overtime (possessions start at the 25) can also grossly distort stats, fantasy stuff, and over/under bets.

Modified Version of the NCAA Model
Perhaps the NFL could take the general idea of the NCAA model and tweak it to make it a bit more palatable for the pro game. Potential tweaks:

-Change where possessions start:
•give the teams the ball at the 40 or 50
•Just have them actually kick off to start each possession
•Play HORSE- team that starts the OT period chooses where they start from, the other team has to follow suit on their possession

-As far as score/stat keeping are concerned, only the points that are scored in the decisive overtime period count for the final score and for individual stats. Players get credit for the yardage scored in prior overtime periods, but not the touchdowns/field goals. Or not! Maybe it's just points for everyone if that's your pleasure.

Fifth Quarter
Basically basketball overtime. After regulation ends in a tie, just put another 15 minutes on the clock and play it out. If they're still tied at the end of that, play another 15 minutes. Or if it's the regular season, maybe you just call it a tie after the fifth quarter. Or maybe you just call it a tie after the fourth quarter.
Pros: Both offenses and defenses get ample opportunity to win the game. "Fifth quarter" is a more natural continuation of normal game play than the college model.
Cons: Length of game concerns (especially in playoffs when a tie cannot be called), player safety concerns. A 15 minute period is short enough that the first team to receive the ball will still have an appreciable advantage.

Instant Tie-Breaks
Number of First Downs
Number Trips Inside the 20
Team with Fewest Punts
Team with Most Punts
Team with Most Players Standing for the Anthem
Team with Heaviest Coaching Staff

But enough of my bullshit, let's hear your ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Go the NBA OT route. Play a full quarter, of lesser time, over and over until you have a winner.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I have long held the opinion that OT should be another full played quarter. Whether they make them 10 minutes instead of 15, you can argue the merits for/against that but it should still be a fully played time period

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hate the rules they changed it to in that defense and ST are part of the game, but at least it forced the Patriots to go for a touchdown instead of settling for some 40 yard FG.

They absolutely should not make it longer though.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I'm all for the NCAA Rules, but start them at the 40. No kickoffs because those need to be dropped anyway. The OT right now isn't super terrible, I would of just liked to see Mahomes one more time instead of the Patriots getting the single chance. The way that game was going, whoever won the coin flip was going to be the winner. At that point neither defense was getting the stop.

Starting at the 40, even if you gain no yards gives you that 57 yard field goal chance if you go 3 and out.

Kalli posted:

I hate the rules they changed it to in that defense and ST are part of the game, but at least it forced the Patriots to go for a touchdown instead of settling for some 40 yard FG.

They absolutely should not make it longer though.

No way should they play an entire quarter. OT is trying to end the game, get it over with, up the stakes. Nobody wants to play another 15 minutes just to get to that end game situations again.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 21, 2019

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
I think any coach involved in a tie game should be forced to commit suicide.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Since the Touchdown rule change:

RECORD FOR TEAMS THAT WIN COIN TOSS IN OT, SINCE 2012

22-28-3 (.443) on road

33-22-4 (.593) at home

56-50-7 (.527) overall

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Use existing rules, but TD does not end game. Give the other team a chance to have possession and match score like they do with FGs. NCAA rules I guess.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Athanatos posted:

I'm all for the NCAA Rules, but start them at the 40. No kickoffs because those need to be dropped anyway.

Starting at the 40, even if you gain no yards gives you that 57 yard field goal chance if you go 3 and out.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Use existing rules, but TD does not end game. Give the other team a chance to have possession and match score like they do with FGs. NCAA rules I guess.

:yeah:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I love the current OT rules because they are basically the same rules I had in my head when they were re-writing the OT rules back before 2010. It gets rid of the super cheap "win the toss and kick a FG" that sucked rear end, but retains the "we're still playing football but let's get it over with a little quicker if we can" aspects of NFL OT, instead of turning it into a weird skills competition like NCAA OT.

The best part of people complaining "the team that wins the toss wins the game" is that this is probably the first time in history (definitely the first time in playoff history) that "the team that won the toss won on the first possession of OT" and "the team that won the toss lost the game" happened on the same day.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Athanatos posted:

No way should they play an entire quarter. OT is trying to end the game, get it over with, up the stakes. Nobody wants to play another 15 minutes just to get to that end game situations again.

As I mentioned with the NBA, it would be a lesser quarter. NBA shortens the periods to 5 mins. I don't think they should play 15 min quarters, but messing with starting yardage points and stuff just seems silly. Just play an 8 min quarter or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The problem with playing a shortened, fixed time period is that it still gives an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss. Anything less than 10 minutes would be a gigantic advantage, as they could easily drain the clock inside of 2 minutes before scoring.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

weird Asian candy posted:

As I mentioned with the NBA, it would be a lesser quarter. NBA shortens the periods to 5 mins. I don't think they should play 15 min quarters, but messing with starting yardage points and stuff just seems silly. Just play an 8 min quarter or something.
So instead of rewarding teams for scoring a TD as fast as possible, we're going to reward teams for playing "grind the clock and use up the entire OT before kicking a 20 yard FG with 3 seconds left on the clock"?

E:F,B.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

General Dog posted:

The problem with playing a shortened, fixed time period is that it still gives an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss. Anything less than 10 minutes would be a gigantic advantage, as they could easily drain the clock inside of 2 minutes before scoring.

Jethro posted:

So instead of rewarding teams for scoring a TD as fast as possible, we're going to reward teams for playing "grind the clock and use up the entire OT before kicking a 20 yard FG with 3 seconds left on the clock"?

Yeah, I see your point.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

Eh I disagree with that. It is not easy to have an 8 minute scoring drive. Asks the Chiefs.

But in general I do agree that the OT rules should be designed to end the game as quickly as possible. Which is why I'd argue for each team getting one possession and if it's still tied after that, the game should just loving end - in the regular season anyway.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yeah, I guess this if the whole quarter thing doesn't make sense. The main point being both offenses get a chance to touch the ball.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
My idea:

Use the current rules except if you get a TD straightaway it's just 7 points with no PAT. Then the other team gets a possession, and if they respond with a TD they have to go for two.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

My idea:

If the Patriots or Saints win the toss, the other team automatically wins the game.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Replace the OT coin flip with the XFL scramble, but it's the coaches instead of a fast player

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

When OT starts, Away Team possesses the ball at the ball regularly at the 50 yard line with a first and 25. If the offense can get 25 yards, they get a new set of downs and it becomes a first and goal.

When the Home Team possesses the ball, if they exceed the first team's score, it's game over. If they can only match, then the cycle repeats- Away Team takes the ball at the 50 only now it's a first and goal.

At this point, if the Away Team kicks a FG, the Home Team can beat them by kicking a FG, but it must be LONGER than the first made FG. On the second cycle, each team must go for two if they get a TD.

Repeat until there is a winner.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 21, 2019

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I guess the thing that gets me about "give both teams a chance to possess the ball", especially NCAA style, is we just saw both these teams spend 2:45 showing us that they are the same. Why do we need to see another pair of possessions (or 7) waiting for the team that got the least sleep to screw up. Let's just get it over with. "Win the toss and kick a FG immediately" was bullshit. "Win the toss and score a TD" is not nearly as big a problem so it's fine.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jethro posted:

I guess the thing that gets me about "give both teams a chance to possess the ball", especially NCAA style, is we just saw both these teams spend 2:45 showing us that they are the same. Why do we need to see another pair of possessions (or 7) waiting for the team that got the least sleep to screw up. Let's just get it over with. "Win the toss and kick a FG immediately" was bullshit. "Win the toss and score a TD" is not nearly as big a problem so it's fine.

I see your point, but I would come back with the fact that the previous 2:45 minutes were determined by all three phases of the game. When a team wins a toss and goes down and scores, you eliminate two phases of the game entirely. Making sure each team gets at least one possession will at the very least make both sides play offense and defense. Also as the game goes on, the defense gets worn out, so it's a tough ask to hang the fate of the entire game on possession (after 2:45 of a stalemate) without any opportunity to do the same to the other side. At least imo.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

beggar posted:

Replace the OT coin flip with the XFL scramble, but it's the coaches instead of a fast player

Any coach, or just the head coach? If it's the former, good way to bring back the player-coach.

If it's the latter, Andy Reid's endgame strategies will dramatically change.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Same rules as now BUT both teams submit a yardage they want to start from. Whoever picks the furthest back gets the ball. So if the chiefs say their own 15 yard line and the pats say their own 20, chiefs get the ball at that spot. If it's a tie, THEN offer a chance to go lower, but if still a tie then coin flip and start at that spot.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just go straight to a sudden death FG shootout, start at 20 yards and back them up 10 yards at a time. Maybe go to 5 yards if you hit 50. Rekick if both miss.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Yeah and then if you're tied after both teams have had one possession then its sudden death

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Upon the start of overtime, the field will be completely flooded. The rules remain the same, but now the players must swim instead of run

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Vando posted:

Just go straight to a sudden death FG shootout, start at 20 yards and back them up 10 yards at a time. Maybe go to 5 yards if you hit 50. Rekick if both miss.

I vote for this option

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Field goal shootout. Start at the 30 yard line kickers take it in turns to kick field goals, move further and further back until somebody misses.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I understand the arguments against it, but ultimately college OT is one of the most exciting things in sports. Maybe the games end in a tie after the first OT in the regular season.

Nov 6, 2002

Just let the games end in ties after regulation. Including postseason.

Tied at the end of the Super Bowl? Nobody wins, try again next year. This year we wouldn't even have a Super Bowl, and let's be honest, most of you would be happier.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

During regular season, no OT period. just award ties. Helps prevent further injuries or fatigue (hello Colts playing OT on Sunday and playing TNF 4 days later).
During playoffs, both teams get at least one chance at possession. Once that happens and if the teams are still tied, sudden death. Otherwise, the team that scored the most points on their initial drives win.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

MD2020 posted:

Any coach, or just the head coach? If it's the former, good way to bring back the player-coach.

If it's the latter, Andy Reid's endgame strategies will dramatically change.

my goal was Fat Man Running so it's gotta be the latter

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

beggar posted:

my goal was Fat Man Running so it's gotta be the latter

Any coach, but the other team gets to pick. Andy Reid v. Bob Wylie starting from the goal line to get the ball from the 50 would destroy any previous NFL viewing records.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Any coach, but the other team gets to pick. Andy Reid v. Bob Wylie starting from the goal line to get the ball from the 50 would destroy any previous NFL viewing records.

Where do blowjobs factor in?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tie and replay the game. it was total BS when australian football got rid of that imo. imagine having a Bonus Super Bowl.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think OT is pretty good the way it is. Defense is part of the game, and if you can't stop them at all, then oh well. Now, maybe they should give them another half-time so that way the defense isn't completely sucking wind, but the broadcast partners probably wouldn't go for that.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

The more I think about it, the more I think "give the other team a possession even after a TD" doesn't make sense. Either scoring a TD is so easy that the other team is going to also score one and we're right back where we started, or it isn't, in which case the existing rule is fine. Before the rule change (with the kickoff rules from '94 onward) the team that won the toss won the game on the first possession 34% of the time, which was clearly too much. 20% is still not ideal, but I think it's passed into acceptable trade-off territory.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

best of 3 rock / paper / scissors between the coaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in overtime give both teams one possession, but the defense has to play offense and the offense has to play defense. if it's still a tie after that, both teams forfeit the super bowl