Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

post technophobia in this thread

quote:

Larry Page grasped that human experience could be Google’s virgin wood, that it could be extracted at no extra cost online and at very low cost out in the real world. For today’s owners of surveillance capital the experiential realities of bodies, thoughts and feelings are as virgin and blameless as nature’s once-plentiful meadows, rivers, oceans and forests before they fell to the market dynamic. We have no formal control over these processes because we are not essential to the new market action. Instead we are exiles from our own behaviour, denied access to or control over knowledge derived from its dispossession by others for others. Knowledge, authority and power rest with surveillance capital, for which we are merely “human natural resources”. We are the native peoples now whose claims to self-determination have vanished from the maps of our own experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this guy thinks the internet is going to create Childhood's End lmao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

reminder that none of these technologies they're talking about actually work

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I know the native man's pain for we are one and the same. Just as the noble savage had his land stolen by white pilgrims I too have had my "land" stolen because I clicked on a video game ad on a website and now Google knows I have an interest in video games. And just as my native brothers walked the trail of tears I must walk my own trail in the form of seeing lots of annoying advertisements on the Internet. My name is Larry Page and I am extremely good at drawing comparisons to things.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
nuke silicon valley

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Low Desert Punk posted:

nuke silicon valley

and eat the rich

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

nuke silicon valley

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The villian from a view to kill did nothing wrong

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

the end of Fight Club could solve some problems too

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

is this "post technophobia because technology is hit-or-miss and social media was a mistake", or "post technophobia so that we can laugh at the silly luddites"?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Gone Fission posted:

is this "post technophobia because technology is hit-or-miss and social media was a mistake", or "post technophobia so that we can laugh at the silly luddites"?

quote:

Individual agency is on the wane. Most of us, most of the time, are following instructions delivered to us by computers rather than the other way around. The digital revolution has come full circle and the next revolution, an analog revolution, has begun. None dare speak its name.

Childhood’s End was Arthur C. Clarke’s masterpiece, published in 1953, chronicling the arrival of benevolent Overlords who bring many of the same conveniences now delivered by the Keepers of the Internet to Earth. It does not end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jesus christ the zipper on my pants broke and my weiner was just flopping around

luckily everyone was at lunch