Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Rahu posted:

Just uncheck the box for ads and data mining in Firefox, problem solved.

also its open source so if you think its bad well. can you make a better browser? didnt think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Safari doesn't have real ad blocking and is always way behind on web standards.

and somehow it remains the best, funny that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It isn't and never was "the best".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rahu posted:

Just uncheck the box for ads and data mining in Firefox, problem solved.

but then they won't be able to push you a certificate update when they accidentally break all extensions

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
at least when firefox breaks extensions it’s not deliberate

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ublock still works for me. when is my day of reckoning??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

ublock still works for me. when is my day of reckoning??

google hasn't said

just "2019"

it's october so i guess they are probably not going to hit that deadline

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
akadajet's question made me go look at the original "bug" in the chromium issue tracker and google has deleted like 9/10ths of the comments on the bug

hearty lol

chromium is "open source" like the dprk is "democratic"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Fabricated posted:

Outside of recently when they somehow hosed up and broke everyone's addons I've had no issue with Firefox for years.

The new addon api was a few years ago. Or was this the time they forgot to renew a cert? Being reminded what the web looks like with ads enabled was p. traumatizing.

That said, there's still no replacement for the old addon in FF that let me pause, rewind and unpause animations at will. The current API apparently makes this impossible.

I use superstop which can stop the animations, but I need to reload the entire page to make them play again :downs:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

firefox deliberately broke extensions a couple years ago to adopt the chrome model with defined apis instead of direct c++ <=> js bridging

i am still unsure whether this was a good idea

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Stick Insect posted:

The new addon api was a few years ago. Or was this the time they forgot to renew a cert? Being reminded what the web looks like with ads enabled was p. traumatizing.

That said, there's still no replacement for the old addon in FF that let me pause, rewind and unpause animations at will. The current API apparently makes this impossible.

I use superstop which can stop the animations, but I need to reload the entire page to make them play again :downs:

where are you seeing a lot of animated gifs these days

I guess there’s my av but still

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The gif thread? It worked for all animations including gif, webm, mp4 etc.

The rewind function is nice when it's a really long animation that's already somewhere in the middle of its playthrough by the time you scroll down to it.

You can do a "show controls" on the more modern formats though. It's a functional workaround but not as convenient as a single button press.

The rest is just flashing avatars and poo poo, like these two on the left as I'm writing this post:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh I mostly just use awful.app for this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of fiddling around to get less fine-tuned blocking than you get with ublock (blocking elements on pages based on styling etc.)

do both. like me, a rich sex having Firefox/pihole/ublock/decentraleyes/privacy badger user

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gentle Autist posted:

do both. like me, a rich sex having Firefox/pihole/ublock/decentraleyes/privacy badger user

you forgot noscript

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

no, theyre listing things that work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
MS should disable JavaScript by default on their fork of Chome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

MS should disable JavaScript by default on their fork of Chome

it's an all-jscript world now, baby

pram
Jun 10, 2001
only activex and silverlight

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

while ActiveX is not supported in their default web browser Microsoft Edge (which has a different, incompatible extension system) and will be compatible with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge using IE Mode.

ahahaha

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

ahahaha

oh god what have they done

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol that one Firefox plugin but a feature

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you forgot noscript

where does umatrix fit in this? my understanding is its like no script but for resource categories which is especially useful for blocking cookies and frames on sites for me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

lol that one Firefox plugin but a feature

where does umatrix fit in this? my understanding is its like no script but for resource categories which is especially useful for blocking cookies and frames on sites for me

noscript is a natural adjunct to ublock origin

umatrix has a much broader set of applications than noscript

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

noscript is a natural adjunct to ublock origin

umatrix has a much broader set of applications than noscript

ahhh okay they always get mentioned but the context is different depending which was confusing me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chredge being able to host ie frames was one of the first things announced about it. i do wonder where all these critical activex-ridden internal apps are, because with the focus microsoft puts on it it's got to be somewhere pretty important (us gov would be my guess). much as they love backwards compatibility i would have thought activex would have slid out of relevance by now otherwise.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m imagining an activex based terminal emulator that’s the only thing that still knows how to connect to the proprietary mainframe os where all the critical business data is still processed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not just activex, there are still a load of ie specific bits of javascript that don't work in other browsers.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
embrace, extend, maintain your lovely fork forever

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

chredge being able to host ie frames was one of the first things announced about it. i do wonder where all these critical activex-ridden internal apps are, because with the focus microsoft puts on it it's got to be somewhere pretty important (us gov would be my guess). much as they love backwards compatibility i would have thought activex would have slid out of relevance by now otherwise.

it's a captive market for microsoft

since IE is the only thing that supports activex, anyone who uses activex internal apps is essentially locked into the microsoft browser ecosystem as long as they don't see any pressing need to rewrite those apps. and given that IE usage is so low and Edge usage is even lower, people who are literally forced to use IE probably make up a significant portion of its marketshare at this point

if MS drops activex support, they're dropping the only thing preventing those users from switching to Chrome or Firefox. i'm not really sure what Microsoft actually gains from having people using their browsers at this point, but as long as they insist on being in the browser market for some reason, backwards compatibility is basically the only selling point they have. especially now that they're replacing Edge with a rebranded Chromium

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

...but as long as they insist on being in the browser market for some reason, backwards compatibility is basically the only selling point they have. especially now that they're replacing Edge with a rebranded Chromium

agreed overall, just to add; i still maintain that microsofts foothold on the browser market has been important to them all along because they recognized it as an application platform really early. so they, rightly, feel the need to be where electron (which is now effectively a microsoft product no doubt slated to be based on the microsoft chromium fork shortly) is to maintain some control over the platforms they want to sell software on.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

I’m imagining an activex based terminal emulator that’s the only thing that still knows how to connect to the proprietary mainframe os where all the critical business data is still processed

mainframes have extremely well-specified terminal protocols so it's definitely not that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

korea is still activex crazy, i think, due to some weird government policy choices in the 2000s

not sure if that market is big enough to determine the direction of a behemoth like microsoft, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I bought a brand new car this very year and also bought the factory service manual from the automaker. It's on disc and requires IE and activeX.

A lot of cheap security camera systems also rely on activeX for their entire UI, even now in space year 2019