Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some Mozilla dev implied on Reddit that firefox is gonna do the same thing, there is no escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Some Mozilla dev implied on Reddit that firefox is gonna do the same thing, there is no escape

:shepface:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i use a chromebook or and iPad/iPhone or use Microsoft Edge on the XBONE.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TOOT BOOT posted:

i get why google is doing it, but uh, what does mozilla get out of it

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Xaris posted:

hundreds of millions of dollars per year

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shock horror, fake news

quote:

I'd also like to reiterate a few points:
- The webRequest API is not going to go away in its entirety. It will be affected, but the exact changes are still in discussion.
- This design is still in a draft state, and will likely change.
- Our goal is not to break extensions. We are working with extension developers to strive to keep this breakage to a minimum, while still advancing the platform to enhance security, privacy, and performance for all users.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

I for one look forward to having another excuse to not use the internet anymore than I already do

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrMoo posted:

Shock horror, fake news

your quote says the op was exactly right about everything, though?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just use whatever dodgy fork with a built-in adblocker that someone will inevitably make

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

your quote says the op was exactly right about everything, though?

The op and the bug report says an api is disappearing and it's the end of the world for ad blockers, the last update in the bug report says, nope.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Perplx posted:

im looking forward to a buggy forked version of chrome with ad blocking that's always behind on security updates

I use Brave on my phone sometimes but it bugs the heck out on Fedora 29.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thebigcow posted:

I use Brave on my phone sometimes but it bugs the heck out on Fedora 29.

what

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MrMoo posted:

The op and the bug report says an api is disappearing and it's the end of the world for ad blockers, the last update in the bug report says, nope.

you are wrong on both counts though. the op and bug report both say that it is an issue *if* the declarative thing becomes the only way to do content blocking, whereas the thing you are quoting is *not* saying that the api will remain in any useful sense

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

do you have a link or remember what subreddit it was in

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

quote:

Proceeding against whitelisting contract between Google and Eyeo terminated after amendments to the contract
Date of issue: 21.01.2019

In cooperation with the Austrian competition authority (BWB) the Bundeskartellamt conducted an administrative proceeding against the companies Google Inc., Mountain View/USA and Eyeo GmbH, Cologne (Germany), for concluding anticompetitive agreements.The proceeding was terminated after the companies amended a so-called “whitelisting contract” between them which had originally significantly restricted Eyeo’s independent entrepreneurial ad-blocking activity.

Under the name “Adblock Plus”, Eyeo offers programs which can be integrated into standard web browsers to stop adverts from appearing on websites visited by users (ad blockers). The company offers advertisers and advertising marketers the possibility to exclude certain ads from the ad-blocking process (whitelisting). To qualify for exclusion advertisements must meet certain “acceptable ads” criteria, which define them as less intrusive from the user’s perspective. Eyeo demands a fee from larger advertisers and advertising marketers for its whitelisting service. It also concluded a contract with Google for this service.

Andreas Mundt, President of the Bundeskartellamt: "“As the Federal Court of Justice also recently decided, ad blockers are a legal tool. It is understandable that consumers are interested in controlling the type and amount of online advertising they see. The offer of ad blockers is an integral part of the competitive process in online advertising services. Regulations in contracts aimed at restricting the offer of ad blockers are therefore anticompetitive and hence unacceptable.”"

The administrative proceeding against Google and Eyeo was triggered not so much by the whitelisting agreement but by additional clauses in the contract which in the Bundeskartellamt's view restricted Eyeo’s possibilities to further develop its products, expand and invest in the market.

The parties have since amended the contract. These amendments have enabled the two competition authorities to close the proceeding.
probably a coincidence :thunk:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrMoo posted:

ah, I see the disconnect

you missed that the update in the bug report is written in bullshit, not english. it looks a lot like English, but you have to translate it to get the real meaning. fortunately, I'm familiar with the particular dialect of bullshit used in browser bug reports when they have no intention of actually addressing the issues but want to quiet and redirect the outrage

they're saying that they're merely going to cripple and eviscerate the existing API, not remove it completely. and since they're still nailing down the details of exactly how much functionality they're going to remove, we shouldn't comment on it at all until the actual update gets pushed out

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xaris posted:

mozilla is obsessed with copying everything chrome does

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Main Paineframe posted:

ah, I see the disconnect

you missed that the update in the bug report is written in bullshit, not english. it looks a lot like English, but you have to translate it to get the real meaning. fortunately, I'm familiar with the particular dialect of bullshit used in browser bug reports when they have no intention of actually addressing the issues but want to quiet and redirect the outrage

they're saying that they're merely going to cripple and eviscerate the existing API, not remove it completely. and since they're still nailing down the details of exactly how much functionality they're going to remove, we shouldn't comment on it at all until the actual update gets pushed out

and then when it does get pushed out they’ll delete all of the feedback they got before it was released and claim they didn’t get any so it’s too late

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SpaceAceJase posted:

are you all really using firefox?

yeah im not a browser power user and it works just fine. ive been using it for 2 years and can only remember a few situations where i had to switch to chrome to get something done.

probably not because chrome is better but because everything gets tested against chrome. which is a legitimate issue that you should be aware of.

i could also see myself using safari but firefox has better power user features

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
firefox is bad but it's the least bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

vivaldi rules firefox drools :flipoff: :c00l:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SpaceAceJase posted:

are you all really using firefox?

I started using Firefox when it was still called firebird and never switched to chrome in the first place. these days I'm on the dev edition beta channel (aurora) and it works fine. it always did. there was never really a reason to switch to chrome.

on the work laptop I use chrome though, since I do webdev and "works in chrome on OS X" is all that is expected

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 25, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

safari is extremely good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

yeah im not a browser power user and it works just fine. ive been using it for 2 years and can only remember a few situations where i had to switch to chrome to get something done.

probably not because chrome is better but because everything gets tested against chrome. which is a legitimate issue that you should be aware of.

i could also see myself using safari but firefox has better power user features

i use firefox primarily (along w/ ublock origin and noscript) but use chrome (which also has ublock origin) when i want a webpage to Just Work and don't feel like janitoring noscript

oh also when i want to use google maps because either firefox is sucking real bad at something to do with goog maps or goog is crippling maps on non-goog websites

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
safari saves my passwords and chrome saves my passwords. they both work across my devices using the magic of ~the cloud~. but on my mac, safari doesn't know about chrome's passwords, and chrome doesn't know about safari's passwords, even though the operating system has a central keychain. computers are so good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i use firefox primarily (along w/ ublock origin and noscript) but use chrome (which also has ublock origin) when i want a webpage to Just Work and don't feel like janitoring noscript

oh also when i want to use google maps because either firefox is sucking real bad at something to do with goog maps or goog is crippling maps on non-goog websites

I use umatrix instead of noscript and just turn it off for Just WOrk Please sites. it has a little button

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

quote:

im looking forward to a buggy forked version of chrome with ad blocking that's always behind on security updates

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the only good browser is webtv

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

safari is extremely good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lomarf @ your new title

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the only feature that matters in a browser in tyool 2019 (hail satan) is adblock

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

When is Firefox getting the new webrender thing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the latter for sure, when they're not outright breaking poo poo and tossing up banners about switching to chrome, they still add really pointless glitz optimized only for chrome

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
has anyone said "why aren't you using pi-hole yet" yet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Weatherman posted:

has anyone said "why aren't you using pi-hole yet" yet

a lot of fiddling around to get less fine-tuned blocking than you get with ublock (blocking elements on pages based on styling etc.)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

DELETE CASCADE posted:

safari saves my passwords and chrome saves my passwords. they both work across my devices using the magic of ~the cloud~. but on my mac, safari doesn't know about chrome's passwords, and chrome doesn't know about safari's passwords, even though the operating system has a central keychain. computers are so good

you really shouldn't trust icloud with anything important, all my passwords just suddenly disappeared and they never returned. a proper password manager really is a lot better

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

apps shouldn't be able to dig through the keychain for other apps' sensitive passwords/keys imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i use firefox, op