Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, no poo poo

it's hella good

why would i tell you it is good and then, uh, not use it?

:ssh: it’s good. cow approved. :ssh:

outlook iOS app best mail app I’ve used so far. but I haven’t tried the excite mail app yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I use mailpile OP

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

:ssh: it’s good. cow approved. :ssh:

outlook iOS app best mail app I’ve used so far. but I haven’t tried the excite mail app yet

it’s kind of telling that the web/ios version of office apps are better then their windows counterparts

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of fiddling around to get less fine-tuned blocking than you get with ublock (blocking elements on pages based on styling etc.)

ive never really had to fiddle with anything, just whitelist some instagram crap for my gf. but obviously, the correct answer is to use both.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

My Linux Rig posted:

it’s kind of telling that the web/ios version of office apps are better then their windows counterparts

it tells you that the windows apps are giant piles of legacy c++ with technical debt interest payments that would bankrupt nearly every software company.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm trying to not use gmail so I'm using a self-hosted dealie and accessing via mac mail app on my mac and thunderbird on my windows. I hate it and I'm going to switch back to gmail.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm trying to not use gmail so I'm using a self-hosted dealie and accessing via mac mail app on my mac and thunderbird on my windows. I hate it and I'm going to switch back to gmail.

put ur problem in bold

use a service like fastmail instead

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol if you willfully use spyware

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

My Linux Rig posted:

i quote dead people

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Last Chance posted:

i use Evolution for email

It still looks not super terrible, but it came out after IMAP stabilized and had no support for it and barely received any feature updates after release.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also depends on how you're using outlook

in an exchange environment? great, awesome

using IMAP to talk to gmail? :gonk:

who the heck would ever do that

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Xaris posted:

sorry but google is def gunna kill off IMAP/POP3 access at some point requiring use of GMAIL Suite android/ios apps, or desktop app which is just chrome bookmarked to gmail.com. hell they've already making it not easy so it's not a far step to see it completely gone. they definitely don't want you using anything but the webmail.

well, duh. can't show ads over imap, so it's losing them money. gotta think about the bottom line.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fart simpson posted:

who the heck would ever do that

lastjob did. they were way too cheap to pay for exchange online, let alone full fat exchange licensing. but of course they want ~outlook~

hell, google suite was reserved for managers and other important people; most people got stuck with some lovely super-cheap email provider i can't remember the name of. i think they were based out of canada

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember having to setup one of the providers so that if there wasn't a matching email address, it would bounce the email over to the other provider. hilarious

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lastjob did. they were way too cheap to pay for exchange online

lol

hell, google suite was reserved for managers and other important people

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lastjob did. they were way too cheap to pay for exchange online, let alone full fat exchange licensing. but of course they want ~outlook~

hell, google suite was reserved for managers and other important people; most people got stuck with some lovely super-cheap email provider i can't remember the name of. i think they were based out of canada

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:newlol:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Rackspace advertised something similar, hosted Exchange for the fancy people and pop3 for everyone else.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

thebigcow posted:

Rackspace advertised something similar, hosted Exchange for the fancy people and pop3 for everyone else.

the people who made plesk sold a multi-tenant hosted exchange thing

unfortunately this meant that you had to pay for microsoft licensing / CALs plus also their licensing, so it cost like 2x as much per seat as an actual exchange instance

needless to say office 365 killed all the bottom feeders

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

so did google walk back on this poo poo? all the quotes in the news seemed to be damage control "it's just a draft and we'll make sure nobody's poo poo stops working"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

so did google walk back on this poo poo? all the quotes in the news seemed to be damage control "it's just a draft and we'll make sure nobody's poo poo stops working"

nope. their current stance is "if you think your poo poo will break, post your use-case in the mailing list. also, we'll keep a heavily restricted subset of the old API around, so there's really nothing to complain about"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

also depends on how you're using outlook

in an exchange environment? great, awesome

using IMAP to talk to gmail? :gonk:

Why pay for Outlook then?

Does gmail not have a way of unwrapping and uploading psts or something?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Chalks posted:

"it's just a draft" is a euphemism for "it's final but we're too cowardly to admit it"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

the only surprising thing here is that it took this long for them to do it

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
how is it surprising that they waited until they had a strong majority before forcing out ad blockers?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

why don't browser makers grasp how flimsy their dominance is?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wish Chome made the OP's posts "no longer exist".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schadenboner posted:

Wish Chome made the OP's posts "no longer exist".

This post is what I like to call an 'epic fail'.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Salt Fish posted:

Sorry ‘bout ur posting, bro.

:sympathy:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chalks posted:

why don't browser makers grasp how flimsy their dominance is?

chrome will still allow content blockers, they will just have to be dumb fixed filter blockers like mobile safari allows

will any consumers notice if their ad blocker is 10% less effective, but the browser renders pages 1% faster?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Salt Fish posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chrome will still allow content blockers, they will just have to be dumb fixed filter blockers like mobile safari allows

will any consumers notice if their ad blocker is 10% less effective, but the browser renders pages 1% faster?

yeah it’s super noticeable or at least it is to me

you’ll go from seeing no ads to seeing some ads

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Use Firefox, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My Linux Rig posted:

this

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

when some random consumer starts seeing ads, they'll google why their adblocker isn't working and find a bunch of nerds advising them to switch to firefox. they'll do it and it'll solve their problem.

i mean poo poo how do they think everyone started using chrome on pc anyway?

it's so easy to switch browsers that giving people an obvious reason to change is a loving terrible idea

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

TheFluff posted:

well, duh. can't show ads over imap, so it's losing them money. gotta think about the bottom line.

you're thinking about this all wrong. Google dgaf about showing ads, sure accounting does, but the rank and file dont. They get promoted when they push out a new app. It why they made inbox then killed it, it why they'll make another mail app and kill that too. They'll even take whatever features inbox was good at, throw that in 'gmail' and still get promoted cause its new 'features'.

They wont kill IMAP cause its not making them money, they'll kill it because they want you to use their stupid gmail chrome.app plugin so their team can get promoted.

It's why they switched to Hangouts, then Allo, Meet and whatever is replacing hangouts.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

My Linux Rig posted:

it's like how AdBlockPlus went from the king of ad blockers to something only idiots use virtually overnight because they thought letting an ad blocker display ads was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Chalks posted:

when some random consumer starts seeing ads, they'll google why their adblocker isn't working and find a bunch of nerds advising them to switch to firefox. they'll do it and it'll solve their problem.

i mean poo poo how do they think everyone started using chrome on pc anyway?

it's so easy to switch browsers that giving people an obvious reason to change is a loving terrible idea

I honestly wonder how this will play out for chrome if they go forward with it cause you’re right that is totally what the advice is going to be but I wonder if people are going to actually do it or just deal with the ads