Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I circuit-bend, make field recordings, and creepy beats. Then I mix 'em all up to make what Warren Ellis once described as "It's midnight, something's not right, and strange things are coming out of your mp3 player."

I've currently got (counts).... holy moly, fourteen albums/EPs on Bandcamp, so hopefully you'll find something you'll like! If you're not sure where the hell to start, I'd say try Ononharoia. Or, the newest pair just came out two days ago, Lazarus taxa 1 & 2.

http://khate.bandcamp.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Not the kind of music I listen to on a regular basis but I have to admit that it's extremely cool and the sounds you are crafting are really nice. I like it a lot.

Hey, thanks! I'm listening to your modular stuff right now and really dig it. Kinda reminds me of late 90's Haujobb, which is a big ol' complement coming from me. :)

You might try Circadian, or, if you like stompy industrial 90's techno mixed with some house (and some embarassing samples), my oldest albums on there, Doxology and Fig 3. I was much into making EDM-based stuff back in those days.

Fun fact: Doxology and Fig 3 were made on a Playstation, of all things. And mixed down on CoolEditPro 2000... which I still use. My bf's always trying to get me to learn Energy XT, but I'm an old bitch who likes her old software. :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You were right! Those suggestions really work with me, especially Circadian. I'll spend some time tomorrow listening more to them. Also thank you for your compliments, I just started all this 2 years ago (as a hobby) and while I'm having a lot of fun, it is really uplifting when talented people tell you to continue down that road.

e: I listened to Haujobb and it reminded me of Front 242 a lot, so the inspiration would make a lot of sense since I grew up as a teen in Belgium in the 90's, hence why I love electronic music so much

Fantastic! Yeah, I do a whole range of beaty stuff, that was my bread and butter back in the day (2000 - 2003). And I also started as a hobby, making what I considered "goofy" tracks made on a Playstation of all things. Then I gave out a CD to a local DJ back when I wasn't old and feeble. He played it on my birthday as a favor, club went wild, and I got my first live gig out of it. Next thing ya know, I'm getting invited to play live in all the little cities here in Virginia.

My secret passion is remixing 80's - current hiphop, incorporating stuff that was influential to me over the years. This is gonna be the best example, plus, y'all can see all the pics of circuit-bent instruments/live performances I've made over the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1kx0ha0Q4

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

PopZeus posted:

Happy New Year's Eve goons! Have some new music: short, catchy little lo-fi tunes in the vein of GBV/Ween/Ariel Pink with some shoegazey stuff splashed in. Enjoy! (This is the follow up to danny and the cool guys' first album.)

bandcamp link: https://soggy.bandcamp.com/album/would-rather-be-a-skeleton

spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/7LGIVA6IdqY99W0U4bc1w6?si=X0YCgKaPRqylX1aTbk9euA

There's a 99% chance that I'm gonna get trashed/high at a New Year's party tonight and start yelling "STOP! GET ME OFF THIS HELICOPTER"

On a more serious note, I had no idea one could get their stuff on Spotify and other streaming services if you weren't signed to a label. I just found a very informative article on it. Which distrubition service do you use? The article says Distro Kid is the way to go.

(sorry if this is a derail, but maybe it'll help someone else old and clueless like me)

edit: Also, I should've mentioned that I really like your stuff so far! Reminds me of a band called The Wallmen that were a pretty big influence when I was in high school in the 80's. Short, fun, Dada-ish stuff. I only have their stuff on 30 year old rotting cassettes and some 7" vinyl, which I should really transfer to digital some day.

edit 2: this derail caused me to Google them after not having thought about them in a while HOLY poo poo THE WALLMEN HAVE A BANDCAMP PAGE okay I'm sorry, I'll settle down now, gotta save my strength for yelling about helicopters later

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 1, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Got the V Collection and Pigments at the end of last year.

https://soundcloud.com/nik-fortuin-153625460/apply-directly-to-brain

made that.

I got my daughter to do the Album Art. And it's loving perfect!

I also deleted a bunch of stuff off my Soundcloud that I didn't like or revealed my inexperience at the time.

Happy 2020 everyone!
This is a very nice "first song of the day"! Really slow-burning build up while I have my first cig and shake the fog outta my brain, then eventually the gentle beats kick in and I get dressed and am ready to face the world.

Plus that album art made me laugh, and that's always a cheery way to start the day. I had to squint to see what was being applied directly to the brain (I didn't have my glasses on) and SOUP made me giggle.

quote:

Ok, Doxology is very much my poo poo.
:tipshat: Thank you kindly!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

baby puzzle posted:

Hello. I'd like some feedback on this... This is a cheap track that I had purchased, along with some cheap vocals. I'm trying to make them work together. Is there any hope? I'm not really done mixing yet.

I'm worried about the notes first. These are the raw vocals with no autotune and just some reverb and EQ. I know how to change the key/notes if I need to... I can't hear anything too dissonant between the vocals and the other melodies... can you? I don't have the best ear for these things yet.

https://soundcloud.com/lermdeml/vocaltestexport/s-Tm89b

I can't crank it right now as my housemates are watching a movie in the next room (I really need to get some good headphones), but... doesn't seem dissonant to me? And frankly I'm an old fart that hates autotune, I like a bit of human "imperfection" anyways*. But yeah, it seemed to match up pretty well for me. Keep going!

*The exception to this being Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight", which has a part where the tape track must've slipped or something and the instruments warble and pitch shift down for a bit. I'd hear that every day while listening to the radio at one job, and holy poo poo it drove me nuts.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

baby puzzle posted:

Well, “auto tune” is really a tool that can make changes such as changing the key of a performance without necessary removing any of the imperfections. I’m actually really impressed with what it can do.

Oh, fair enough! I wasn't trying to diss your use of it, and honestly, since I haven't used it myself, shouldn't throw shade on it. I was thinking of the popular tracks like Jaime Foxx's "Blame It" when I said I hate how autotune sounds. My sincere apologies if I offended you. :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I thought the name looked familiar, and it's because I've been working my way through the thread start to finish and recently enjoyed The John Le Carre EP!

More good stuff by you, perfect for staying in and watching the first snowfall here this year while smokin' some jazz cabbage.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

selec posted:

Man that’s the way to do it! I record 20 minute long keyboard jams and end up using about 8 bars of them. I should see if my CD-j has midi, I could probably get something to work with going.

Hey, same here! When you work with circuitbent stuff, lordknows what they're gonna puke up next, so I record long "jam" sessions and then cherry pick the good stuff. Same with field recordings, I'll just set my H2 out on, say, 4th of July/NYD to get the neighborhood fireworks, then snip the good "beats" or samples or whatever.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Haha, a bunch of feedback I got before I posted this said "make the flute more prominent." Maybe I went too far in that direction. It used to be more subtle in the mix and the pads used to be more prominent, maybe I'll keep trying to find the middle ground.

Yeah, I'm with owlhawk, give the flute a little room to breath with a break or two. If it was me, I'd do a break by dropping almost all the melody and just using bass and beats and more bottles (love that sample, btw), but that's just me!

Plus tacocrab rules.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Sup! I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for it, but I've been working on a number of songs I would eventually like to include on my "Debut EP".

I like to record my progress every now and then, and get feedback whenever possible.

Here's a brief section of a song "Stitch" I wrote that will probably end up on the EP.

https://soundcloud.com/user-443451412/littlestitch

If you happen to take a listen, I'd love to know what you think!

Fwiw, I like it! I love that feel of "real human being making noises, and maybe they exhibit that human element". Anybody can Autotune/automate poo poo nowadays, i like that organic feel more than anything, that's The Stuff. I'm giving it thumbs up and encourage you to to do more. :)

I'm also gonna put a shameless plug that might get me probated here, but I'l eat a sixer for this: I love making album art; I'm an old fart that remembers how cool LP art was back in ye olden days. All of my albums, I made my own art. If anyone's wanting some album art for their Patreon or Bandcamp, I'm happy to do it to help a goon out. (And if you can spare a couple bucks, I'm not gonna say no.)

I'm getting ready to put out another EP of my stuff, so I got this on the brain while I get my own poo poo correct.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So Math posted:

This is a WIP for a songwriting contest I'm in. Was working on the bass line this morning and realized it could work as old platformer music.

https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/kid-chameleon-wants-a-word

I dug it! That's a sweet bass line, I was doing a little jiggle sitting here at my laptop listening to it. (Also I really like your DEVO-based name.)

overnightmike posted:

Its brand new! Its dark! It gets absolutely wild at the end!

https://soundcloud.com/overnightmike/look-at-how-the-new-moon-shines

Yeah, it does get super awesome towards the end... I like! Maaaaaybe crank up the amplitude a little before that? That's my only criticism, it was way low in the beginning and if I wasn't just casually listening I may have turned it off before that. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to help you get folks to stick around until the end! (I'm all too familiar with looking at my Bandcamp stats and seeing the "unfinished plays" lists. :( )

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Why would you tell me Bandcamp keeps "unfinished plays" stats. Now I'm about to be sad.

Jeez, I'm sorry. :( I thought anyone on Bandcamp knew about that. (or maybe just me? I'm obsessed with stats)

:smith:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

New release of my strange brew of ambient, skittery beats, and circuit-bent wonky electronic sounds!

https://khate.bandcamp.com/album/amuse-bouche

From the album description:

quote:

An "amuse-bouche" is a small, off-menu dish served by the chef as a courtesy and chance to play around a bit before a multi-course meal. That's what these tracks are: a collection of short (nothing over 3 minutes) little audio experiments meant to amuse the ear instead of the mouth. Some are ambient, some noisy, some beat-oriented. If you don't like one track, don't worry; another one will be coming to you in roughly one or two minutes!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So Math posted:

Thanks! You might like this bit that didn't make the cut. https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/loungitude

The finished song is a jazz piece about math, and double entendres. https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/discretion

Double-posting to say I like both iterations of this. :)

Not to get all e/n, but I've spent way too much of my life and art (both visual and audio) being all grim-dark serious business, and I need to cut loose and have fun, like it sounds like what you're doing. That's part of my intention with "amuse-bouche", just... shut the gently caress up, my stupid sad brains, we can release a 20 track album of goofy circuit-bent Casio poo poo where every track is under 3 minutes. Not everything has to be an epic 12 minute track of moodiness, dangit.

What I'm saying is: you (and other posters here) have been a big help in getting me to crack out of this chitinous shell of depression --- and a terrible artistic rut, really --- and gave me the courage to post that last album. They are short, they might not be mastered to exquisite perfection, they have samples of a guy with a ridiculous Boston accent talking about the size of giant squid eyes.

Thanks, y'all, for reminding me that this is supposed to be fun.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Your last release definitely sounds like you had a lot of fun! It's amazing how much our mood will transpire in our works and these are very fun to listen to. Thank you for sharing them!

Me I had an awesome jam session this saturday with the guy who introduced me to modular synths. He's also a huge inspiration for me (he's really a sound designer and musician while I'm more a hobbyist) and I'm always amazed by all the super weird and deep modules he adds to his rack. This time he showed me the Folktek Matter II and it's also the kind of stuff reminding you that making music is about having and sharing fun; that piece of gear is completely esoteric, you just move pins around, having no idea what it'll do, and you let yourself be surprised by whatever sounds come out of it.

Anyway we ended the evening listening to this set (you can also see how much fun Amélie is having there too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJkuTx1DQzg

Which in turn inspired me to make this little headbangin jam

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/dilemma

Man, she is absolutely having a blast! Thanks for the video, it's making me all :kimchi:

Between that, and your bangin' track (took me straight back to a 90's college radio show hosted by "Jay the German" that I used to tape every Friday night bc he played stuff like this that was obscure, pre-internet in the US), I'm itching to find my KORG DS-10 and do some oontz-oontz trance-y stuff as well. Thanks again!

edit:as I keep watching, also still just so cool to see women rockin' it. Showing my age here, but when I got into electronic music in the 90's and got my first gig in 2001, women were still such a "novelty" in the industrial/idm/techno/noise circles that it actually helped bolster my popularity. "A woman made this absolute floor-stomper/insane noise piece?! How can this be!?!" When I got into circuit-bending in 1999, there were literally three women on the planet doing it, as far the internet could tell me (that's when I made the pic you see in my av). A lot's changed over the last 25 years, but it still warms my cockles to see this woman just killing it with a huge crowd, and it's not because she's skimpily clad or just a novelty thing.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 20, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Came across an old track that my rapper friend and I had worked on nearly a year ago and decided it deserved to be released even though we never "finished" it. Some of you may recognize the sample I used. Interestingly, I did a sample flip challenge this last week and the sample that got selected was the same one I used for this track "Criminology". Had to get creative to try and flip it again but I think it turned out really cool and definitely different than Criminology. Let me know what you think!

Criminology ft. KingOsiris
https://soundcloud.com/bradwisebeats/criminology-ft-kingosiris

One More Time (Sample Flip Challenge)
https://soundcloud.com/bradwisebeats/one-more-time

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "sample flip"?

I like both tracks, btw. And pass on my admiration to KingOsiris, dude can spit. As a white 45 year old woman, it's still my dream to be able to spit a classic hip-hop track and not sound like a total idiot. (I can do lots of Beastie Boys, De La Soul, and PE passably enough for drunken karaoke; I think my NY accent helps)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

new airy ambient thingy. a little more tense than the last one:

https://soundcloud.com/nik-fortuin-153625460/bassunmba-2

sorry about the name. I came up with a good-ish one about 24 hours after posting the track, lol.

Ha, I have the same problem naming stuff! I usually give the working titles whatever I'm drinking at the time I made the first mixdown. Sometimes it just sticks, hence if you look thru my discography you'll see "Gin", "Ginger Ale", "Coffee and Casios", etc. "Yuengling" got re-named in 2015 because they support Trump and gently caress that. :colbert:

That said, like the track! Mix sounds nice on my end, and perfectly fit the engaging-but-not-distracting vibe I'm looking for while working on some artwork. So for all those folks out there who give no shits about my useless opinion: two thumbs up.

quote:

owns, owns owns.

:kimchi: thank you!

I'm gonna be participating in a live performance in March for the first time in ages, would this be the place to put up a video? The venue host always takes really high quality video of every performance.

My role is "Mistress of Incantations" (because my specialty is my stable of circuit-bent Speak and Spells and other talking toys) in a group called Trash Coven, because we all play recycled/trash stuff. Like, literally we'll be on the way to a gig and pull over because "oh look, there's a file cabinet someone's tossed by the side of the road!", pick it up, stick contacts mics on it, and play that that night. Fun stuff.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

"Dragon" is a good listen, I enjoyed it! And yeah, the bump in volume up front on "Look At..." is an improvement! Still think it could be a little more... dynamic, I guess? Like maybe have it swell and ebb on the amplitude before the big OOMPH towards the end. Like teasing, edging foreplay that ramps up, backs down, ramps up, backs down... then we get to the loving.

But it's not my piece to produce/master... I'm never comfortable at giving constructive criticism in any art form because I get all "well it's not MY piece, who am I to say what they're going for? JD, you don't even play a guitar, those shoes don't fit, give them back"

im_sorry posted:

My February Album Writing Month project is pretty much done.. I just need to fill a jar with preservative, crack open a pack of preserved lampreys, and take the cover photo. Once this is done, I'll upload it to Bandcamp, but for now, you can hear it at https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/playlists/jar-of-lampreys

Same thing here; if was me, I'd dipping those tracks in a whole lotta reverb sauce; they're good stuff but just sound kinda flat to me without more effects. But if you're shooting for a super-clean 80's style, then it's perfect.

I hope I don't offend anyone trying to give feedback; I freely confess I'm bringing my own tastes to the table, which probably means jack poo poo. :ohdear:

Also, preserved lampreys are a thing?! Holy crap I thought I had some weird taste in food and album covers. (BTW, the cover for "amuse-bouche" isn't sushi, it's gala apples on my homemade cheese that I did as an actual amuse bouche for vegetarians. I always just loved that picture, I usually suck at food photography.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mistayke posted:

I know no one is really listening to these from here, but I feel good posting them. I don't see many hits from here on my Soundcloud stats.

Anyway, I finished a new one this morning. Good to put on in the background.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/a-cnance-meeting

Yeah, I misspelled the song when I uploaded it, so the link looks weird.

I'm slowly working my way backwards thru the thread... I'm listening to all y'all (when not working on my own poo poo)!

I'll be frank: not my cup of tea genre-wise, but I can appreciate some quality production/mixing/composition, and you got that in spades, friend. :)

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A little quirky electronic instrumental I was working on:

https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/apparition-operation

This is a bit more up my alley, and also nicely mixed and interesting to follow. My husband liked it, too! Actual conversation:

:) : What are we listening to?
:biglips: Goon stuff. It's Drink-Mix Man.
:) ...
:biglips: He does really funny photoshops, too!
:) ... I'll take your word for it. I do like this, though.

Ah, the goon vs. non-goon relationship. :sigh:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wow, that's really good! Everything from the synths to the vocals.... your Bandcamp cites Depeche Mode and New Order as influences, and it was right there, I thought that before I even read that. Well done! My husband's a big 80's synthpop guy, can't wait to play it for him when he gets home.

Out of curiosity, do you get people buying the whole discography package, and how did you come up with a price? I've been considering doing a deep-discount deal and offering that for all of my 15 albums/EPs on Bandcamp.

(Also do you tour? I'm in Virginia and know some promoters who might get in on booking you, since you're "right up the road", relatively speaking)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ooof, lots of stuff to listen to! But that's great, because I sorely need to sort laundry and clean up my desk area in my room. I find myself getting into music more when stuck with tedious busy work. It's like my left brain says "time to clean", so my right brain says "time to lean".

I'll also try to play along, but with 15 album/EP releases on Bandcamp spanning 20 years of work, picking three's gonna be tough!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So I listened to a whole buncha stuff last night as promised --- holy crap! We should put out a goon compilation album. I'll help mix it down to normalized volume levels and do album art, set up a Bandcamp so we can share any monies coming in.

BUT... my cat is dying. He's 17 years old and has the cancer, so it's a matter of days until I make that horrible call to that last trip to the vet. So I'm a bit of a wreck, but I wanted to thank you all for giving me something to distract myself with while I go through this.

Anyways, here's a song/video featuring him, Fitz, aka "Tubby" because pre-cancer he was a total "oh lawd he's comin'" sized cat. I adopted him from a shelter in 2003. The track is chopped almost entirely from a kids' vinyl LP called "Tubby the Tuba", which had scratches all over it and skipped exactly on beat, much to my delight --- and the fact that I called Fitz "Tubby" as a nickname.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktoM5UiqW8

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

2DCAT posted:

Cats are the best and I'm sorry :( if you need any help from my end let me know

Thanks, 2D. :) I could use a little help financially, so if any of y'all like my tracks, feel free to buy 'em on Bandcamp.(I know begging is verboten on the forums, so I'll eat a probe for this, but I just want to make sure my cat can get a decent send-off.)

I took notes while listening last night. Here's what I have as my first impressions, for what they're worth.

Mistayke

1. Put in food terms: I like the texture, but the flavor doesn't do anything for me. Still, I can appreciate a well-executed track, which this is. Like, I don't care for strawberry ice cream, but I can tell a well-made ice cream even if it's strawberry and not pistachio.
2. Liking this one better. Again, your layering and textures are really nice. I tend to clog up my compositions,; yours are nice and airy, which fits the feel.
3. I like the slower pace and water-y synths. Like watching ocean waves come in

Brawnfire

1 .Melancholy lo-fi, just how I likes it. Fits my mood of late.
2. Holy production jump! Still minor key. And your voice is lovely. God I wish I could sing.Or play guitar. Or do something besides beeps and boops that sound like a Casio in a washing machine.
3. Short'n'sweet, ain't nothing wrong with that (see my latest release)

Slothful Bong

1. Big ol “ooooOOOMMMM” sweeps, clicky stuff that sounds like digital insects, and now let's throw a piano in. Do I have a long-lost sibling? This is extremely my jam, and I'm gonna check out the rest of this album later.
2....Yep, we are related. hosed up time sigs and detuned chugga-chuggas. Checkin' this one out, too. (And still wishing I could play guitar. Bass, actually.)
3. Man, you're like a Visa card: everywhere I wanna be. I like the concept behind this one, but something's lacking... could be bias after hearing the other 2 first , but it seemed sorta... sterile? Just my 2c, as always.

im_sorry

1. I gotta give this one another listen because I had to poop in the middle of it. I can still kinda hear stuff from the adjacent bathroom, but that's not a fair listen.
2. Can't go wrong with me with what sounds like toys or cheap rear end drum machines being sampled for beats. Simple lil' melody that suddenly goes all Beavis “Yeah! Yeah! Rock!”
3 .Nnnrnrrgg, loving those dissonant sweeps. They're doing this weird thing where they sound familiar yet totally alien --- with me, that's a good thing. This one goes into rotation.

So Math/Jocko Homomorphism
1 . Scratching that DEVO itch with a tinge of MSI thrown in. Extremely blessed.
2. Not a fan of vidja game style music, but if you are, you could certainly do worse! Plus I have never heard of “shmup” as a genre, and now I have. Learning is fun!
3. Again, well-crafted, but just not what I twas expecting when you said “house”. That could've tainted my listening. I'm an old fart with 90's NYC house mixes on cassette tape, so take my review as you will. It's like a 90's house song had a baby with a gaming console. Might be your bag!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

2DCAT posted:

I'm poor and have no money but if you want to do a good compilation and take some of my tracks for a cause go for it :toot:

Daww, thank you. Y'know, that's not a bad idea; hail my FB/local folks and make a tribute comp as not only a fund-raiser for my cat's inevitable... thing... [pause to cry here] but I could give the rest to the non-profit shelter here in town.

I'm still too hosed up to pick my Top 3 Tracks, but here's one I made when I had to send my old black cat Bela to that big litter box in the sky 15 years ago. It's a bittersweet track; I love it for what it is musically, but drat do I miss that fat rear end cat so it's hitting me straight in the feels right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6d-i8G8EM

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jesu posted:

I write as Dialogue, I’ve been lurking most of my life here. I’ve recently started producing hip-hop as a change from the guitar driven music I grew up with. I’m from Australia and I don’t quite mesh with our scene here, the music I write is inspired by artists like Logic and Mos Def and I aim for a more classic vibe.

YouTube: https://youtube.com/JJCVL
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/Dialoguehc

I also have some other pages but they can be found inside the other links.

Listened to your Soundcloud tracks (now onto the YT ones) ---- very much my jam! Is that you rapping, or do you solely make the beats? Whoever's spitting kinda reminds me of Q-Tip (that's a big old compliment from me), and the beats catch that melodic, mellow classic vibe as well.

fake edit: ha, those super skittery hi-hats on "Suburboom" sound totally like something I'd make! Check out this track for a comparison:

https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/schnee

Really liking your stuff, mate! (I'm not from Aus, am I still allowed to call you mate?)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

im_sorry posted:

I've been feeling really anxious about many things lately, and this happened: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/worrying-about-the-future-1

Yep, that's the soundtrack for my head right now too. :( :hf: :(

Funny, on first listen I was all, "y'know, this is cool, but I'd like it if it had some beats"... and that's exactly when the beats came in! Good track, and be well, my fellow anxiety sufferer. Make a music and make the (or at least your) world better, sometimes that's all you can do.

(Also the art is adorable, did you do it?)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So I know I'm a bit late to the party, but getting a bit of fan mail last night finally made me decide on My Three Tracks. If I can't decide what my 3 faves are, I'll let my teeny tiny fan-base do it for me!

This one's not on Bandcamp, so ya gotta head over to archive.org for it. Back in the early 2000's I used to get a lot of play on a weekly web-radio show called Just Not Normal, which was p cool because they were based out of Europe (Denmark, I think?) so that broadened my reach. Anyways, I just got an email via Bandcamp's contact form asking "Are you the same Khate that did Detritivore? I love that, and Entomological Temple is one of my favorite personal songs ever!" Needless to say, my head was too big to fit thru the door yesterday. Someone loves my poo poo from 11 years ago. I'm all :kimchi:

Entomological Temple
https://archive.org/details/JNN022-Khate-Detritivore/JNN022-09EntemologicalTemple.mp3

Next up is "Oh Lord". This is from the old stompy industrial days, so that's a taste of what I was doing back in 2002. Listening to it now, it could use some better production/mixing, but it still gets me pumped. And Diamanda Galas hasn't sued/C&D'ed me on it for sampling her yet, so there's that. It also got one of my favorite fan questions: "what are you doing there, when it sounds like you're slamming a drawer full of silverware back and forth?"

Oh Lord
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/oh-lord

Title comes from a depressed co-worker saying (paraphrasing, it was ages ago) "There's no cerebral pleasure in life, really. Food, drugs, sex? It's all just comforting the meat." This is on my one and only vinyl release, mixed by James Plotkin, so that was a feather in my cap. I used to finish every gig around that time with it. Crank yer subwoofers around 4:00, that's what got the crowd wild.

Comforting the Meat
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/comforting-the-meat

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 7, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

All in all, you're loving weird and sinister and this is amazing stuff.

I'm about to go in for my first day of work at a new job, and I'm just gonna hold this quote next to my heart all day whenever I feel anxious. Thank you!

If you want to cleanse yr palette and get rid of that unease, I do have a lighter side. Behold Tubby, a tribute to my cat Fitz (and some previous pets).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktoM5UiqW8

Gonna listen to yours when I get home! (I would right now, but my housemates are all still asleep and I don't have headphones)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So Math posted:

In light of COVID-19, Bandcamp is waiving their fees Friday March 20.

Goons, post your Bandcamps!

Thanks for the heads up on this! My day job is (was) as a restaurant cook in semi-fine dining, so I'm effectively out of a job until lord-knows-when. The only way I'm gonna make some scratch is thru Bandcamp (who are super awesome for doing this). I'll be sure to make a heavy social media push about this.

My Bandcamp:

khate.bandcamp.com

A lil' of everything from EDM/industrial to ambient soundscapes to noise. Lots of use of field recordings, number stations, distorted beats, and homemade circuit-bent instruments.

Also, not goon-made, and not Bandcamp, but some music that has given me a sensible chuckle as I wonder how I'm gonna feed myself and my cats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnS95QVFSM

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

As always, really enjoying hearing other goon music. MrSargent and EFP, your beats got me through typing the same goddamed poo poo over and over again into fifty kajillion job apps today. I wish I could support you financially, but, well... :smith:

That said, I have a [probably stupid] idea to help out music goons affected by the shitstorm in the US right now (and maybe other countries? idk how Bandcamp works internationally)

So I used to use this program all the time when making many of the tracks you'll find on my Bandcamp. Released in a more innocent time, it's called Virus. It's weird and unpredictable but hella fun to play with. I think it would be fun if the computer-music making goons here all made a track using this, and we released it as a comp. The little doo-dahs you manipulate even look like coronaviruses. It's perfect.

http://www.ixi-audio.net/content/body_software_virus.html

I got nothing but time on my completely-washed-24/7 hands right now, I'd be happy to compile it and make cover art. Whether we donate it to charity or support ourselves, I don't care, I just wanna make the world a better place during this nightmare.

Just throwing that out there, for anyone with cabin fever. (ixi audio makes a whole buncha cool freeware for both mac and pc, check 'em out if that's your jam)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

:siren:HEY GUYS:siren:

I got mod clearance to pimp out our stuff over in PYF for today's Bandcamp sale (wanted to find a sub with a bit more traffic). Here is the thread. Go forth, and post your BC! And may the sales be with you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917758

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Okay this is a weird post and maybe not the thread for it, if not let me know who might appreciate it... I guess lol

Yes I'm a stoner but I took a recording of a drain for about ten minutes. For some reason I felt like one of you electronic wizards could do something with it, it's got some interesting textures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YcBtlRHvgQw70NEuyuzlyIhGW15CQsuc

As someone who hears sounds all the time and says "drat, I wish I had my H2 on me!" I totally appreciate it. I have hours --- nay, days --- worth of field recordings. If anyone needs a good thunderstorm, dawn chorus of birds, my old washing machine, etc, lemme know.

Thanks Brawnfire!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Due to weird series of events over in PYF Funny Pictures, I ended up posting this remix of a Homestar Runner classic that I made, like, 17 years ago. Figured I'd post it here too, it's my first Soundcloud submission, lol. Hope it brings a much-needed sensible chuckle to anyone who liked HSR back in the day.

https://soundcloud.com/khate-reutling/sb-techno-majesty

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Just pimpin' myself out here. Tomorrow, 4/20, starting at 4:20 Eastern Daylight Savings, a handful of us are going to be live-streaming a jam session. It's in a warehouse studio, not open to the public, so we'll all be well spaced out and taking measures.

We're still hashing out whether we're gonna stream on FB or YT (my vote is YT, because not everybody does the FB), but it'll be a trip no matter what. It's a bunch of crazy musicians ranging from blues to noise to freaky circuit-bent stuff to techno. We've got LCD projectors and an insane laser light show.

Link is here, you can see pics and video from other performances:
https://www.facebook.com/events/241857973533616/

No idea how long we're gonna be going on, so if you're celebrating 4/20, hop on over any time and see what's happening!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Just a heads up, Bandcamp's doing another "we're not taking any cuts" sale on May 1. I pimped it out over in GBS's "wanna come to a concert with me" thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918626

...and that's also a great thread to promote yourself if you wanna do a live-stream show. I did on short notice and in a pretty niche genre, but got a bunch of good response. Lots of "watching" and "waves" on both YT and FB, many of which the four of us had no idea as to who they were, so I'd like to think they were friendly goons. :)

internet celebrity posted:

Hey I've finally finished the last track for my (drony, noisy, post-rockish, basically Swans worship) album, now to go through the process of trying to figure out how to commission art for commercial use and actually release this thing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-927987433/untitled/s-7LQjvKrqLRJ

This poo poo is dope and both my husband and I are thumbs upping the gently caress out of it. I'm listening to it on my lovely, tinny monitor speakers and can't wait to hear it on the big-rear end Boston Acoustics when our housemate is awake/out of the house. I'm saving the rest of the album for that treatment.

Also, if you want art done, I'm happy to help. All the stuff you see on my Bandcamp, I did myself, so consider that my portfolio. I'm a restaurant cook by day, so I ain't going back to work anytime soon, and I'd love to have a job thrown at me. Just click on my av text, and if anything speaks to you, PM with with more deets and we'll talk!

(Funny you should mention Swans, I've just been poking thru my old band shirt collection trying to find something I should/can cut up to make a face mask. I never wear my 20 year old Swans shirt bc it's got so many holes in it, and I think having OMNISCIENT OMNIPOTENT OMNIVOROUS wrapped over my rictus would be dandy.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sorry for double-posting, but Brawnfire: none of your links are working? I always try to work my way back thru the thread and listen to everything, but I'm gettin' no joy from you. Hope everything's alright.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Apologies for the shameless self-promotion, but it's my birthday which means I am Queen of the Universe for a day.

As such, I'm rocking a one-day* sale of my entire discography on Bandcamp for the "pay whatever you want" deal. If you like my stuff but are out of work like me and can only afford a buck or two --- go hog wild!

*I'll likely extend it through the 1st of May, since that's when BC is doing the fee-waiving thing again, and them lucky folks who still have paychecks coming in typically get paid on Fridays.

Big thanks to my fellow goons who've bought my stuff in the past; here's my gift for y'all. Happy Unbirthday!

khate.bandcamp.com

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been playing around with using the R interface for Google's speech-to-text API to sample spoken word for my weird samplefuckery projects. I bring you David Attenborough talking about monsters.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/attenboroughs-monsters

I need to know how you did this. Or I'm just gonna steal your work and sample the gently caress out of it, your choice. :P

So, like you can text-to-speech something with an app and it comes out in Attenborough's voice? I'm not sure I follow what you did here, but I like it. I'm all about the sampler-fuckery, myself.

fake edit: no, you say "speech to text". Now I'm super-confused.

Also: hello goonsicians, I'm sorry I haven't checked in lately but my cat died a couple days ago and I've been kind of a mopey wreck. I've been listening to everybody's stuff today while finally cleaning up my goonette-cave and trying to distract myself, thanks for all the new noises! Y'all rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

PopZeus posted:

New music! It's a postal project a friend and I worked on during quarantine. I had fun pushing my limits a little since I'm usually a lo-fi guitar kinda guy. Lots of chill synths, electronic noises, and keyboards, good for some vibing. Check out Easy Sunday or Zoom Out for the most "single" like tracks if ya want. Best listened to while watching slo-mo videos of water balloons popping. Enjoy!

Order by White Noise Field Recordings

https://soggy.bandcamp.com/album/order

Or on Spotify if you want:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1tEiBCt13JTaAz1sOZSPdE?si=6f1MxHT2Tgya_Bz_Y1hdDA

Def can recommend this (Easy Sunday in particular, so far) for a wake'n'bake when you're feeling a bit down. Brought a smile to my face, thanks!