Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

AliExpress has some very cool ant enclosures, for very cheap

Excellent founding testubes with sand refillable weirs

I'm currently keeping Myrmecia pilosula, Myrmecia piliventris, camponotus nigricips and Rhytidoponera metallica and pseudoneoponera

I have mealworms and fruitfly cultures for live food, and some locally made ant foods, and real honey.

Alot of the ants I keep are gamergates, and take a very long time to create workers

They are semi claustral, and the larvae are like wasp larvae and need huge amounts of food

Be careful with springtails, they can become a nuisance, and some will target protein, like ant eggs. Mites are a constant issue, and will come in on insects wild caught or even commercially sourced.

It's good to have an accessible outworld to clean.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

I have a large cube tank with fluon coating on the top, with Hebel stone cut and fitted, with some clay on

Several Chinese laser cut Perspex jobs

Some sit in a glass cabinet, not heated currently but will need it once summer ends

Re the fruit flies you just shake them out, I have a culture of wingless ones from a lab

I bought some plastic cups with fabric mesh lids from America, (Josh's frogs) and I put in a food medium at the bottom and some cut paper on top

The food im trialling currently is shredded oats, vinegar, orange juice, paprika with some yeast sprinkled on top, should find out if it's successful in a week or so, YouTube's full of how to's

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

My mite infections all came from grain and crickets I bought.

The other worst thing is flies like phorid flies which will infestation everything

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Mum and first bub,

two more larvae and several eggs

Myrmecia pilosula

Came home, opened my wingless fruit fly, to find millions of fruit fly with wings, some without, and some phorid flies,

room currently swirling with bugs

at least the ants have food

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

It's outside infection, so it's my fault, the wingless ones should stay wingless for a while, I don't know the basics of their recessive gene etc, too lazy to google it

The ones that fly I've used a one way trap and drown them and returned them to the outworld

I got that queen on an Aussie website, there's a few!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Up to several workers, cocoons and eggs and larvae

One of my fruit fly colonies got mites so I've had to be careful and wipe out any infestations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Basically anytime I have mites I toss the lot and soapwash the container and shelves etc

The only thing that works is keeping humidity down

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Trying out some jumping jacks in a dual perspex setup with a fishtank outworld underneath, I need to add one of those cool "trees" you see in shrimp tank setups

At first I was worried the workers would get stuck in the outworld and get trapped but they seem to have worked it out very quickly, up to 6 workers, 3 nanitics, and a few cocoons and larvae in waiting. Feeding on mealworms, crickets and fruit flies, and some ant nectar and honey.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

There has been more workers hatched, and a flurry of activity to plug up extra spare testtubes to make humidity gradients for an army of larvae
they have figured out how to use the tubes to get up and down somewhat.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

I have led lights underneath the main laser cut Chinese Perspex nests on the roof, they are on a timer for heat, so far, so good.

The workers have piled cocoons where it's warmest as they do in nature. I've noticed during the warmer periods of the day natural nests have a donut ring like structure around the main nest entrances to bake the pupae

If I think it's insufficient I will take my heat cord and place it around to make a temp gradient

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Once the campo queen's have a few nanitics, make sure you have an enclosure on standby

I really recommend ones with multiple tubes that allow you to swap them out once they are dried and abandoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Plop

Nice,

The use of heat cords has meant my Jumping jacks have had a fairly steady winter, and now that it's spring here, I think the population may explode.

I have alot of space for them but I do always wonder of there will be a colony collapse style event