Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Weird foreign kid' is one of those cartoon cliches that hasn't aged too well despite everything. Maybe because Borat pretty much ran that well dry in mocking American ignorance towards the rest of the world.

It seems like later cartoons would have 'weird vaguely special needs/autistic kid' which has aged even worse because they tend to be just an excuse to be rAnDoM and incredibly annoying from day one.

Ed, Edd, and Eddy's Rolf is one of my favorite characters. All the "old country" poo poo like having couches covered in plastic and an old-rear end TV with random dials on it was great. My favorite episode is still the one where Rolf beats Eddy's rear end even harder for bringing him "the flowers of disrepect" (Edd's suggestion) when a "Yoyo of compassion" (Eddy's first choice) would have worked.

Twelve Batmans fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ed, Edd, and Eddy's Rolf is one of my favorite characters. All the "old country" poo poo like having couches covered in plastic and an old-rear end TV with random dials on it was great. My favorite episode is still the one where Ralf's beats Eddy's rear end even harder for bringing him "the flowers of disrepect" (Edd's suggestion) when a "Yoyo of compassion" (Eddy's first choice) would have worked.

Rolf also let the writers make weird dick jokes that made it past the censors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsE5K-NCvIk

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Big Mouth had one of the most accurate depictions of a kid on the autism spectrum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We need to amend the Sepidougith Tree to include horny/pervert Doug

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ed, Edd, and Eddy's Rolf is one of my favorite characters. All the "old country" poo poo like having couches covered in plastic and an old-rear end TV with random dials on it was great. My favorite episode is still the one where Ralf's beats Eddy's rear end even harder for bringing him "the flowers of disrepect" (Edd's suggestion) when a "Yoyo of compassion" (Eddy's first choice) would have worked.

i think the creator based that character off himself

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

i do not think paul ribera really "gets" doug

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
it is for kids paul! it is supposed to be colourful, inoffensive and educational. you really screwed the pooch here

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
what a maroon!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
BEEEEeeeee---yoooo

Chikapawa-chik-pa-paaaah.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

Paul Ribera looks a lot like Douglas Funnie if you ask me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The episode where Doug gets a boner (not MR Bone lol) and spends the episode hiding behind his books/vest/etc was pretty cool.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Doug can't decide who he should leave his Beets albums to in his will after realizing the milk he drank had a sell by date of yesterday

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nice.

Doug gets "funny feelings" after watching Chalky compete in the Tri-Beet wrestling tournament, and he retreats into his Disco Doug persona to untangle the truth.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Doug overhead some mean things his dad and Mr Dink have been saying about blue people. Later, he and Skeeter get in an argument and doug calls skeeter a "fish-skin". Skeeter gets really angry. Can doug use the power of the quail convince his friend that its no big deal?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Doug keeps insisting to Skeeter that he doesn't see color. This has the potential to ruin their friendship until Doug eventually discovers he is actually physically colorblind.

The episode ends abruptly after Doug explains to Skeeter that was the reason he couldn't see the Holocaust happening.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Doug catches Mr Bone watching some footage from the boys locker room camera on his computer. Will he see the time he and Skeeter crossed pee streams in the shower? He's gotta get into Mr Bones office and delete that video. Maybe Smash Adams can help?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Doug's plans to ask Patti to the Founders' Day Dance are foiled after he gets his dick caught in a lawn chair.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When Mr. Dink gives Doug an old computer and a "Very Expensive" ISDN line, DigiDoug is born! Doug becomes Very Online and is gets a taste of popularity! Will that be enough to get Patty's sweet nudes attention? Or will the cyberweb start to change Doug?!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Doug's lawn mowing jobs just aren't coming in like they used to, so he decides to start up a blackjack game in the garage, but Skeeter can't pay up!
Doug needs to pay off his debt at the Comic shop, how far can he push his friendship to get the money he needs before it's too late?!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The movie Very Bad Things but with Doug instead of Christian Slater

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Doug spends all of lunch trying to hide from the other kids so they don't make fun of him for keeping the cold parts of his sandwich in a separate container from the bread.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Doug takes a gamble on a fart in class and loses. With his pants over flowing with poo poo and the smell alerting neighboring students, Doug needs to think fast. How is he gonna get himself out of this mess.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Quailman could deliver hos indoes but then everyone will see him without his costume and learn his true identity

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Recess was just Hogan's Heores set in an elementary school.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In a dusty corner of a forgotten shop, Doug finds a steel drum and learns that he seems to be an instantaneous prodigy.
He shows his new found skill to Patti, who dons a rasta hat and breaks into the most amazing skat lyrics Doug or anyone else has ever heard!

They and Skeeter set up a show for all, who are skeptical of their talents. Just moments into the performance, with Doug's amazing drumming, Patti's incredible vocals, and Skeeters well timed honking, the crowd is going wild!
A passing rabbi, walking down the other side of the street, hears the commotion and wanders over to see what the fuss is about.
He listens for a few moments until a look of terror crosses his face and he rushes the stage, frightening everyone - that is, until he explains that Patti is chanting ancient Babylonian religious texts meant to summon the even older Assyrian primordial goddess Tiamat, something he had learned while studying the culture's history in conjunction with his time spent learning of the Jewish captivity in Babylonia.

Can the band learn to work together to stop summoning this ancient elder god by sacrificing the good times they're having, or will they take their chances to keep their families and friends entertained?! TUNE IN NEXT TIME, ON, DOUG!

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Dear Journal,
High school has been real tough on Bebe Bluff. She has been gaining weight really fast lately. On Wednesday, I overheard her say she was going in for surgery to fix her problem and that skeeter is going with her. I hope she recovers before the Bumpkin Day hoe down. She been looking pretty sad. That afternoon, I noticed she was looking really nervous and
uncomfortable in class when Mrs. Wingo was explaining why God hates women who don't love the gifts they've been given.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Applewhite posted:

Recess was just Hogan's Heores set in an elementary school.

Probably says something about school culture with how easily that works.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Salem Saberhagen posted:

Dear Journal,
High school has been real tough on Bebe Bluff. She has been gaining weight really fast lately. On Wednesday, I overheard her say she was going in for surgery to fix her problem and that skeeter is going with her. I hope she recovers before the Bumpkin Day hoe down. She been looking pretty sad. That afternoon, I noticed she was looking really nervous and
uncomfortable in class when Mrs. Wingo was explaining why God hates women who don't love the gifts they've been given.

Jfc lol

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
STOOP KID'S AFRAID TO LEAVE HIS STOOP!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey Arnold is seriously underrated as a show about what it's like to live in a community. It was pretty interesting for a kid who lived in the middle of nowhere and could identify more with Courage the Cowardly Dog.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
HA was kind of Too Real for me, so I never really clicked into it. I needed dumb fantasy and contrived poo poo. Being in L.A. meant I was deathly afraid of neighbors and only had a surface understanding of my community.

HA did an amazing job of giving the supporting cast really developed stories and personalities. The episode where the Vietnamese immigrant reveals how he lost his daughter, for example. That's pretty heavy but also really true to life.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey Arnold is seriously underrated as a show about what it's like to live in a community. It was pretty interesting for a kid who lived in the middle of nowhere and could identify more with Courage the Cowardly Dog.

shows like Hey Arnold make me feel like I missed out on life because I spent most of my childhood watching TV instead of hanging out with friends

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

snack eater posted:

shows like Hey Arnold make me feel like I missed out on life because I spent most of my childhood watching TV instead of hanging out with friends

hey arnold was effectively an animated Happy Days. it was good because everyone wants to have that sense of community and so on but the reality is that in most places you are quite lucky to find a chill clique of people even if you've lived in the same place all your life, and you're very lucky again if you live in any kind of place where the interesting things to do don't run out in a couple of weeks, leaving you and your friends to basically repeat the same weekend a few hundred times until you all age out.

if your family ever moved more than a few dozen miles from where you entered the 3rd grade you were probably hosed in terms of the friends because the transfer student isn't the exotic, interesting unknown that TV plays them up to be, they are nothing more than a loving target 100% of the time. if you lived in any place that could be remotely described as 'quiet' you almost certainly were never having an interesting childhood, most places are incredibly boring. if your parents ever worried that you would get raped and murdered if you were out of their sight for more than a few hours you were never having a childhood even if you did live in a place that was remotely interesting.

source: i lived in 5 different cities and went to 7 different schools from K-12. i had a few years that were really interesting, weird, and fun but in most places, i was a target for being the new kid and therefore had no friends to do anything with, the area was some forgotten pocket of suburbia or a sterilized urban zone and therefore there was no cast of wacky characters to make an adventure out of, or my parents instituted strict rules that resulted in me not being able to go out and explore anything because they were afraid for my safety (and were probably right).

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I lived in the same place all my life I'm just autistic and also I lived in a place where I couldn't just walk to my friends' houses so everyone else could hang out after school every day without me and I could only hang out when my mom could drive me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey Arnold had a fantastic soundtrack like holy hell just this smooth jazz that was the perfect ambiance for the chillest of nicktoons
@ me about it please

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I remember there was that Hey Arnold episode where they thought there was a ghost train that took you to Hell and they all got on to take (what they thought was) a train to Hell.

Can you imagine Doug doing that? Willingly taking a train to Hell? I’m pretty sure there was an episode of Doug where he had a panic attack because he had to take a normal city bus. Arnold was so much cooler than Doug.

That’s like one of 2 Hey Arnold episodes I remember. The other was where they all teased the teacher until he had an emotional breakdown. Now that’s something I could definitely envision happening to Doug.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Arnold straight up had the coolest bedroom a kid could wish for

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hugs not Dougs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

houstonguy posted:

I remember there was that Hey Arnold episode where they thought there was a ghost train that took you to Hell and they all got on to take (what they thought was) a train to Hell.

Can you imagine Doug doing that? Willingly taking a train to Hell? I’m pretty sure there was an episode of Doug where he had a panic attack because he had to take a normal city bus. Arnold was so much cooler than Doug.

That’s like one of 2 Hey Arnold episodes I remember. The other was where they all teased the teacher until he had an emotional breakdown. Now that’s something I could definitely envision happening to Doug.

Doug would go on a train to Hell if Patti invited him