Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BIG FAT loving NOTE: We will try to use spoiler tags in here, at least initially, because they are spoilers and that is the rules but I cannot stress enough GO SEE THIS loving MOVIE before you come in here because there is very little discussion that you're gonna be able to contribute to because it's gonna look like a drat CIA document about Donald Trump peeing on Vladimir Putin while Ivanka watched in here.

i mean i guess you can just spoil yourself and talk about it before seeing it but you want to see this, trust me.

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1088451633841721344

So. Serenity. This movie is batshit insane. And i loving love it.

i know this is going to sound like bragging but I had an inkling to what was going to happen after about 5 minutes of Baker Dill walking around the incredibly constructed town. For some reason I thought "boy this might make a fun video game" and then by the time the radio was talking to him specifically (and one of the lines Constance said basically naming her "quest line" out loud) I knew the what was up. And honestly, it makes sense. You have a video game made by a (very intelligent) 13 year old kid with less than ideal social cues, of course everyone is gonna sound fake and overwritten. Of course there's just a bunch of stock characters. Of course the villain is Literally The Worst Human You Can Imagine, right down to expressing an interest in purchasing a 10 year old girl's rear end for a night. I feel like there is a very weird freudian angle you could take with the kid literally writing his mom having a violent unfulfilling sexual relationship with his stepdad and then pleasurable sex with his real dad because holy loving poo poo (and also the number of times we see Baker Dill naked is a little concerning considering the origins of everything).

My biggest disappointment are that the movie spelled out everything halfway through, and that once it did spell everything out halfway, it didn't go a little more fantastic. I know the game was supposed to be a very low-key sort of thing with the emphasis on how people can't be killed (or couldn't I guess) but the only things that really exploited the unnaturalness of the game setting was having Baker Dill be a perfect driver even after a bottle of rum, and how the geography of the island didn't really seem connected (Baker Dill seemed to just get places with a snap of the fingers, which is very pre-open world video game). A couple more breaks in reality might have really lit up the third act (which did get a little ponderous as Baker explored his awakened state), and the only thing that really stood out as totally unreal was the young man showing up on the boat at the end.

The actors ranged from pretty good to loving amazing. Honestly McConaughey was the weak link for me as I wished he would go just a little more Nic Cage with this. The role could have used a little more disbelief/fight about learning his real origin/fighting his fate, and there were a couple times he nailed it but a lot of times where I wish he could have gone a step farther. Anne Hathaway, on the other hand, knew exactly what movie she was in and was amazing. Ditto Clarke and Lane, who played their incredibly stock characters with aplomb (god Jason Clarke on the first fishing scene was just the slimiest, grossest fucker in the world).

I'm also convinced 100% that "Fontaine" is a reference to Bioshock. To the point where I considered for about 5 seconds that the movie was gonna actually be a stealth Bioshock sequel but that would have been too dumb.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Unfortunately I don't see any theatres here showing it so I'll just wait for it on netflix or something. on a rank of unbelievable twists, how does it rank against Collateral Beauty and Book of Henry?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I saw a review of this today, saying that it was so, so awful but that I should go see it anyway because it's amazing. I couldn't help myself and went to wikipedia, and :stare:

wat

review here: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/24/serenity-review-the-years-first-gloriously-bad-movie-is-here

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This movie is outsider art levels of :wtf: I loved it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

On my way to see it now. I’m so excited.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Just got back from it a little bit ago... Man it says something about me that I hear how CRAZY a movie is, goi to see it, and think"... That's it?"

I mean, when I think crazy, and you begin with zooming in on a kid's eye, and indicate "video game" every way you can, I don't think of a fairly standard visual metaphor, involving juvenile murder or not. I think bigger, like a simulation within a simulation (the kid is being played by somebody else and is a metaphor for... I dunno, autism or something), or that when he kills the stepdad, he'll exhibit video-game powers, maybe kill the abusive stepdad with a fishing line he conjures, and then the world tears asunder, and it turns out he was granted those powers by Yog-Sothoth, or aliens, or the collective consciousness of tuna. That's crazy to me. Here we just have Matthew McConaughey realizing he's a game character, and breaking his program as a representation of his son working up the courage to kill his abuser. I mean, it doesn't always map perfectly- figuring out "the game" and each individual character's role in it is easy enough, with the people telling Baker not to "kill the man" being obviously Patrick arguing with himself/reconciling his morality with an action he knows to be wrong, but... what was up with that thing about Djimon Hounsou's character breaking Jason Clarke's hand? More of the same, a penultimate hail mary with Patrick's conscience? Not really sure, but the whole thing is fairly easy to suss, and my only complaint is that the movie tips its hand way, way too early- I was able to call the movie in the first drat minute, and that's not very good for a noir, even a non-mystery one.

But hey, beyond not being as surprising as I'd hoped, it's not bad. The location's pretty nice, and the acting's solid all around, without any weak links that I could notice; the script is... mostly good, with only a few line clunkers and being a bit too obvious too soon. Ditto with the camerawork, really; you can include some of the things that were done to hint where things are going, but what was done was the equivalent of some five year old with a secret he knows and just wants to tell you. Overall, it was a nice night out; reminded me of some similar movies released in the 90's/00's that went along similar lines and possibly increased my expectations a bit.

All in all: it's good, but drat, Peter Sciretta evidently needs to see more movies.

VV Okay, that... that, admittedly is kind of bonkers in a good way, and genuinely unexpected. That did raise my score a bit, cause that's not really a message you get much, is it?

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 26, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I would also like to point out that this movie pretty clearly comes down on the side of Patrick killing his step-dad being the right thing to do which is hilarious.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Never seen a film give off the vibe of aSkyrim mod that gets increasingly more uncomfortable as you play it before, but there’s a first time for everything. Has Steven Knight ever played a video game before?

I genuinely love this, despite it being very bad. Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
OP loves M. Night Shyamalan movies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I am so glad I accidentally mouse-overed the spoiler block, because this went from "I don't think I'll see it, but cripes Anne Hathaway is super pretty" to "I gotta fuckin' see this".

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
cant believe this movie is real. but i watched it....and it is

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Every now and then I host bad movie marathon parties. Yesterday I did one where we watched King Kong vs. Godzilla, Gymkata, No Holds Barred and finally Serenity. While Serenity isn't a terrible movie, it was the perfect setup to get everyone to watch it because it made everyone pay more attention and comment more on all the awkward stuff in the first half. The twist hit even harder that way and made for a fun experience.

Still not as weird a twist as Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This was the second best fishing movie I've ever seen and was the second best video game movie I've ever seen behind Rampage, but now third with the release of Detective Pikachu

It was one of the weirdest, most memorable theater going experiences I've ever had. Made even better by an elderly couple who did not understand the movie at all. It might be silly to use spoiler tags on a 5 month old movie but 10 people on the planet saw this so I might as well be nice.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just saw this. It’s... the sort of high concept/middlebrow Hollywood trash made in a style that you just don’t see as much since the early 00s, so it was kinda nostalgic. Also it’s a very generous comedic partner. Suggested drink pairing: Bota Box rose with ice in it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lol, don't see this movie people. It's kinda like an extremly dumbed down version of Abra los Ojos/Vanilla Sky. It's not crazy, not so-bad-its-good, just kinda ok and honestly a bit boring. If you've ever seen this kind of plot before, it's probably one of the laziest executions of the idea. just listen to your favorite bad movie podcast episode about it and move on.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1157079165843251200

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

grate deceiver posted:

Lol, don't see this movie people. It's kinda like an extremly dumbed down version of Abra los Ojos/Vanilla Sky. It's not crazy, not so-bad-its-good, just kinda ok and honestly a bit boring. If you've ever seen this kind of plot before, it's probably one of the laziest executions of the idea. just listen to your favorite bad movie podcast episode about it and move on.

I disagree. The kid made a simulation so his dead dad could gently caress his mom.

Dad's gotta gently caress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was one of those movies where I was completely invested at 20 minutes and then by 50-70 I had almost completely checked out. Hathaway and MM have literally negative chemistry.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Went with a group of friends opening weekend cause we had read the spoiler free reviews that talked about how absolutely batshit it was and we were not disappointed. Yeah, it drags. Yeah it's stupid as hell. But oh man was that a pure cinematic experience. I recommend drinking before, during, and after your viewing for optimum pleasure.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I watched this for a $3 rental when I first saw this thread and it’s dumb as hell. Like, even for free, there’s better stuff out there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you want other bad movies, for some reason the local college theater is playing Madness in the Method, a film directed by Jason Mewes

This theater is also playing Airplane Mode, which is apparently some spoof of Airplane! made in 2016 by "youtube stars" and only released now

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
This movie was dogshit. Not even in “so bad it’s good” territory, just flat out bad. Like Vanilla Sky for dumb dumbs. To be honest I went into this expecting a twist of some kind and I was a few glasses of wine into a Friday night when I watched this, but every stupid idea I shouted at the screen as I tried to guess the twist made more sense than this pile of poop. Urgh!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

TrixRabbi posted:

I disagree. The kid made a simulation so his dead dad could gently caress his mom.

Dad's gotta gently caress.

You have to slog through what, an hour and a half of pointless meandering before you get to the ~wacky~twist~, and then really it's more of a boring wet fart that was not even remotely worth it.

Just listen to the HDTGM episode about it and you'll get all the entertaining parts without having to actually watch this poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

got any sevens posted:

This theater is also playing Airplane Mode, which is apparently some spoof of Airplane! made in 2016 by "youtube stars" and only released now

How the hell do you spoof a satire?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

How the hell do you spoof a satire?

Poorly, according to imdb reviews

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
The WeHateMovies episode about this flick is amazing, albeit it was a bonus release so the complete cast is behind a Patreon wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT1PGOEzPB4

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This was a beautifully shot movie. Totally stupid and ridiculous but beautifully shot!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Does any have a .gif of that scene of Matthew Mcconaughey drinking a bottle of whiskey while driving? I don't know why but that scene made me laugh.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 14, 2019

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

grate deceiver posted:

You have to slog through what, an hour and a half of pointless meandering before you get to the ~wacky~twist~, and then really it's more of a boring wet fart that was not even remotely worth it.

Just listen to the HDTGM episode about it and you'll get all the entertaining parts without having to actually watch this poo poo.

This reminds me of the debate in Metropolitan over whether it is enough to read criticism without reading the original novel. I think that criticism is valuable but not sufficient to substitute for the experience of the original work, personally.

Like with Serenity, sure you can listen to some people crack jokes about the movie but that is nothing compared to actually being there, living through this movie. It's bad of course, it's terrible but in a unique way, like how no two Mahi Mahi have exactly the same scale pattern.

I was honestly rather effected by this movie, particularly the imagery of how Baker Dill was told to murder Frank Zariakas. He is supposed to take him sportfishing as normal and then simply not fasten the vest properly, so that when a fish bites it will pull Zariakas out of the boat and deep into the sea, to drown helplessly fastened to the fishing equipment and the fish. I found this plan strangely horrifying, and then when Zariakas does finally show up to the boat he has been soundly beaten, drugged, fed liquor and etc all night. So they are fastening this nearly unconscious, broken man into the fish death rig while trying to act like everything's normal. I honestly found this scenario chilling, I don't know if it's cribbed from other movies or books but it was new to me.

But then, how did the kid know about it? It seems like a weird plan for a city-dwelling computer programming recluse teen to come up with, but then the whole thing is reaching pretty drat hard. It's obvious that the island is a simulation or a video game or something from about the third scene. I was reminded of the Thirteenth Floor all in all, but then that movie did not have nearly as much naked McConaughey. Serenity he reminded me a little of Sharon Stone in the sequel to Basic Instinct where it seems like the actor is showing off the body to prove they still got it.

I definitely would like to see the meetings where McConaughey, Hathaway et al decided THIS was the movie to do. Uma Thurman was originally set to play the Diane Lane role so Uma dodged a bullet on that one.

The distributor also realized this movie was going to flop and pulled all the promotion, and I thought their statement was really funny:
"As much as we love this film and still hope it finds its audience, we tested and retested the film — with audiences and critics alike — and sadly, the data demonstrated that the film was not going to be able to perform at our initial expectations, so we adjusted our budget and marketing tactics accordingly."

- we tested it out and everyone thinks it sucks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I didnt mind this movie and I'm glad I saw it but man was what's her name not right at all for the mom.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Among the long list of Fox projects that Disney just canned was Free Guy, in which Ryan Reynolds discovers he's really just an NPC in a game. Sounds familiar... (I think it was going to be a comedy, though.)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This movie is definitely some kind of next level bad movie. I definitely understand why so many people call it batshit insane, yet at the same time it's pretty boring. The psychological thriller aspect is really dull and un-engaging, no aspect of the movie really "works" and if you just throw it on the background, I think it would just come off as a dull, forgettable and otherwise unremarkable movie. But, if you actually pay attention to the movie, it is one of the most absurd movies you'll see.

I think what I find most puzzling is that practically every TV comedy over the past decade has had some kind of video game or RPG episode where they've worked some kind of real world/virtual world multi-level metaphor. In this movie, while the metaphors are exceptionally ham-fisted and explicit, there is very little connective tissue between the game and the real world. Take fishing as an example. When you fish, you bait a hook, and your prey takes the bait. But that's not really what happens at all in the plot of the game world, and it's not at all what happens in the real world.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can’t believe the twist happened with a half hour left and they still expected us to give any shits.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

weekly font posted:

I can’t believe the twist happened with a half hour left and they still expected us to give any shits.

honestly they should have really leaned into it, turned the last half hour into Gamer and had the main dude die like 30 times on his way to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This movie reminds me a little bit of the John Cusack movie Identity. In Identity the big reveal occurs about midway through the movie as well. I think the difference is that in Identity the reveal recontextualizes the story and you actually have a reason to care what happens after the reveal. The reveal in this movie deflates all the drama and tension, as it's really unclear what the stakes are. The problem isn't in the timing but the execution.