Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

BigLeafyTree posted:

So I was poking around and looking at things and here’s what I found:

Ranking up a unit generally does 3 things: doubles its HP, doubles it’s damage, and makes it’s ult better. Exceptions to this pattern are: Druids fall just short of doubling their HP when going from rank 2 to 3 (Ench and Furion lose 100 from what they should be, Treant and LD lose 200). Some mechs gain armor as they rank up (Clock goes 5/7/9, Timber goes 6/8/10). Demon Hunters gain some MR as they rank up (AM and TB 10/20/30).

Knight bonus does not work as advertised. If I’m interpreting the code correctly, it checks every 3s and if successful you gain a buff that gives 30 armor and 75 MR. The tooltip that says it’s a chance on being attacked just isn’t true.

MANA GAIN
There’s a lot to talk about here, apologies if it’s a bit scattered.

First of all, mana is gained on damage dealt and received. The amount gained depends on the amount of actual damage dealt, it does not care about how that relates to anyone’s max HP pools or anything like that. This means there’s a big difference in terms of mana between ranks of units, especially rank 1 and 2. Double the damage means double the mana income, and double HP means you get ult mana from being beat up at higher amounts of HP. This is a big deal for ultra that take time to get value like Ench, TB, Medusa, and so on.

Spell damage also earn mana! If you watch the mana bar of a unit (especially one with AoE) it’s very noticeable. This means that for many units once they ult it’s easier to hit ult mana afterwards. This is part of why units like Puck and Timber can just spam so hard. It also means that some units get much more value out of ranking up because their cooldowns get lower and they’re going to be limited mainly by that. Hitting that first ult can be very important and affects how you want to spread items around.

Another interesting thing is that Shamans, Mages, Warlocks, and Demons (kinda) earn more mana. Some of the details are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/al2we4/analyzing_auto_chess_code_potential_bugs_revealed/ . Short version is regular units earn between 10-20% of their damage dealt as mana, capped at 10 per instance. Mages, Shamans, and Warlocks earn 40% (I believe without a randomized range?) of their damage done as mana, and are capped at 20 per instance. Demons seem to count their Fel Power pure damage as a separate instance and thus earn more mana than is normally possible because it gets around the normal cap most units hit by having 2 damage instances in one attack. This is why SF hits ult mana so drat fast. It also makes ults that have AoE or damage over time give lots of mana because the number of instances is high.

I also threw together a basic spreadsheet of unit stats if anyone is curious to compare things like DPS or EHP across characters. Link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wi9HjyXGfQtABf6PXWKcF8rzyz-ECjSZ7mVKEKQyBKY

This is awesome, particularly with the info about the knights, because I had big questions about that. Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Awesome post, thanks

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Just realized this game is literally mahjong

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I should be asking my grandparents for strategy tips

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

singateco posted:

Just realized this game is literally mahjong

yeah but three of dots dont got poo poo on my level 3 queen of pain

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just started playing this yesterday (I'm not a DOTA 2 player) and spent about 10 straight hours on it after intending to try 1 or 2 games. I am getting some top 3 finishes but haven't won yet.

I'm having more interface problems than anything. Is there a courier select hot key? I keep screwing things up because you have to select the courier to move guys and I end up wasting precious seconds slamming 'W' and having nothing happen.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yes, I don't remember what the default is, space or f1 probably, but it should be under Select Hero in the keybindings menu.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What I learned recently is that just right clicking the ground will automatically select your courier and have it move, so the easiest way is to just spam right click as you shuffle your pieces around.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

So I found the seeds to what might work as an advanced strategy. First to lay out some basic things:

-There’s no limit to how many units you can have on the chessboard between rounds
-Units will be automatically benched if you exceed the number allowed on the field at battle start. If there’s no bench space units will be automatically sold.
-Units sell for what you paid for them.
-The units that show up for you to purchase pull from a shared pool, and the lower the stock of a unit the less chance it has to show up.
-Interest is gained at the end of battle at 1g per 10g, up to 5g earned per round.

As far as I can tell, when it does the auto benching it attempts to bench from L to R, then bottom to top. If you run out of bench slots it’ll sell units off in that same order until your units on the board are within your capacity. Because it’s predictable you can use positioning to control what gets benched, sold, and kept. Why would you care? Because you can use this to juice your chances of getting what you want by having.

Put the bench stuff you care about in the lower left (or just keep it benched), and your combat stuff further up somewhere like on the top row. Buy poo poo you don’t want and shove it onto the field to increase the chances of finding what you do want. When the prep time ends if you did it right your valuable bench stuff gets re-benched, the stuff you bought and didn’t want gets auto sold, and your combat guys are still ready to fight. Leftover units you don’t want can be manually sold. All this happens between rounds so apart from the reroll costs you’re not losing gold.

I think the most practical use of this is to target a specific unit by snapping up everything at its price point, especially 5-cost ones which have a smaller stock available. In theory if you had incredible APM you could snatch up every unit each reroll offers and make decisions on the fly depending on how the rolls shake out. Please note that most of the time this isn’t the secret technique you need to do better you’re probably bad in a million other ways that are more important, and it’s effect is very marginal when the pool at a price point is wide. It’s also very APM heavy and you’ll be fighting the sometimes floaty controls the whole time.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's pretty clever and I can't wait to watch a bunch of streamers doing it constantly.

Only problem I can see is that formations that want to be in the back get hurt by it

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Gorgc does something similar along those lines calling it "gamba". If his reserve is full and he gets something he wants he'll put a bunch of poo poo on the board and keep rerolling.

He either gets his 2* or 3* unit or he ends up selling a couple less useful pieces.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

BigLeafyTree posted:

This is only mostly true. I think it's worth pointing out that usually, due to the druid bonus, you can combine two druids to create a level two druid and sell it as though the druid were composed of 3 units, essentially selling back a non-existent unit. Unless they've fixed it?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

This is only mostly true. I think it's worth pointing out that usually, due to the druid bonus, you can combine two druids to create a level two druid and sell it as though the druid were composed of 3 units, essentially selling back a non-existent unit. Unless they've fixed it?

Unless it’s changed you’re right. They sell for what it would have cost if you weren’t taking advantage of the Druid bonus. You see people doing this to make a little money going from rank 1 to 2. I guess you could make a lot going from rank 1 to 3 with just 4 copies of a unit but it’s probably too awkward and the opportunity cost is often too high.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 22, 2019

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Only 1 star units sell for what you paid. Upgraded units mostly sell at a loss, although two-star $1 units sell for 3 gold which is usually breakeven (and +1 gold for a druid-bonused enchantress). I'm also almost certain that the game prioritises higher-star units to keep on the board when it auto-benches before any other factor.

To be more specific, the money you get when you sell a unit is equal to its level. The level of a unit is its basic price + 2 for each extra star it has (so a 3-star 4 gold unit is level 8 and you will get 8 gold back when you sell it).

The level of a unit also determines how much damage it does to a courier after winning on its board.

level 1, 2 = 1 damage
3, 4, 5 = 2 damage
6, 7, 8 = 3 damage
9 = 4 damage

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 22, 2019

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

BigLeafyTree posted:

So I found the seeds to what might work as an advanced strategy. First to lay out some basic things:

-There’s no limit to how many units you can have on the chessboard between rounds
-Units will be automatically benched if you exceed the number allowed on the field at battle start. If there’s no bench space units will be automatically sold.
-The units that show up for you to purchase pull from a shared pool, and the lower the stock of a unit the less chance it has to show up.
-Interest is gained at the end of battle at 1g per 10g, up to 5g earned per round.

As far as I can tell, when it does the auto benching it attempts to bench from L to R, then bottom to top. If you run out of bench slots it’ll sell units off in that same order until your units on the board are within your capacity. Because it’s predictable you can use positioning to control what gets benched, sold, and kept. Why would you care? Because you can use this to juice your chances of getting what you want by having.

Put the bench stuff you care about in the lower left (or just keep it benched), and your combat stuff further up somewhere like on the top row. Buy poo poo you don’t want and shove it onto the field to increase the chances of finding what you do want. When the prep time ends if you did it right your valuable bench stuff gets re-benched, the stuff you bought and didn’t want gets auto sold, and your combat guys are still ready to fight. Leftover units you don’t want can be manually sold. All this happens between rounds so apart from the reroll costs you’re not losing gold.

I think the most practical use of this is to target a specific unit by snapping up everything at its price point, especially 5-cost ones which have a smaller stock available. In theory if you had incredible APM you could snatch up every unit each reroll offers and make decisions on the fly depending on how the rolls shake out. Please note that most of the time this isn’t the secret technique you need to do better you’re probably bad in a million other ways that are more important, and it’s effect is very marginal when the pool at a price point is wide. It’s also very APM heavy and you’ll be fighting the sometimes floaty controls the whole time.

I don't think this works. The auto benching does not always go L->R bottom to top. I think it has something to do with the star ratings of the units as well, because yesterday during one of my screwups it skipped over my 2* Ogre Magi on the far left of the top row and benched my Slardar 1* to the right of him... Which broke my 3 Warrior bonus and sucked (early game obviously).

Anyway on my day 2 playing adventures:

I sort of got assassins to work one game yesterday, but it is very, very finicky and I still ended up in 3rd. I was 1 slark away from 3* which might have helped me turn the corner though. I still have the best luck with 3 or 6 Warriors more or less regardless of what drops. There are so many warrior characters you can get something decent no matter what everyone else is doing.

I'm always tempted to experiment and try mages or hunters or knights, but thus far my few attempts without 3 warriors have ended pretty badly.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i saw some guy lose a final match because his units just decided to stand still while the enemy DK just picked off 4 guys on his own. is this hacking or some sort of server issue? has anyone seen an entire troop just decide to go afk and let themselves get picked off?

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Apparently cheating is starting to propagate so there very well could be one that disabled enemy pieces. Screenshots all over reddit and discord of people with tidehunters and enigmas on round 3, and videos of people's money being spent rerolling over and over without them doing anything. Without anti-cheat this sort of stuff could kill this whole game if it spreads more.

This seems legit!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah apparently cheats are becoming common which sucks, but the devs have already said they're working on it.

That said, I have seen what pog boyfriend describes with no wrongdoing from any player - there is a bug that causes units to "freeze" and not participate in fights, and this can mess with the behaviour of the unfrozen units.

tl;dr we just gotta wait for Drodo to fix their poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In case you didnt know this is the number of each kind of unit in the pool (according to some random webpage, this info is not easy to find):

1: 45
2: 30
3: 25
4: 15
5: 10

I don't know what levels exactly do. I know conceptually you see more expensive units with each level, but is there an actual formula known?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you hover over the buff on your courier it gives you the percentage chance of getting each unit cost at your current level.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh no wonder it's not online, it's in-game. Thats handy.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

King Pawn posted:

Yeah apparently cheats are becoming common which sucks, but the devs have already said they're working on it.

That said, I have seen what pog boyfriend describes with no wrongdoing from any player - there is a bug that causes units to "freeze" and not participate in fights, and this can mess with the behaviour of the unfrozen units.

tl;dr we just gotta wait for Drodo to fix their poo poo.

Can confirm this bug exists and is really loving frustrating. I had it work in my favor once and against me once. My non-scientific hypothesis is that it has to do with Tusk's Walrus Punch killing someone while they receive some other kind of status effect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is there anywhere that has good final builds to work towards? I only know how to force orcs and trolls because I can't win late game with anything else.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

Is there anywhere that has good final builds to work towards? I only know how to force orcs and trolls because I can't win late game with anything else.

High level lategame right now tends to be dominated more by AoE crowd control/damage (Tidehunter, Medusa, Disruptor, Kunkka, most $5 units) than specific synergies. How exactly you build it is pretty fluid and depends on which synergies you had in the midgame and what you happened to be offered, I'm not sure a guide for what to aim for would be useful.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Abisteen posted:

Apparently cheating is starting to propagate so there very well could be one that disabled enemy pieces. Screenshots all over reddit and discord of people with tidehunters and enigmas on round 3, and videos of people's money being spent rerolling over and over without them doing anything. Without anti-cheat this sort of stuff could kill this whole game if it spreads more.

This seems legit!

And now there's apparently some way to use the new report function to boot people from the game?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

get big lategame units and blow people up. if you can get a medusa 2 and a tide you are rolling. as for strategies, elves and knights generally do pretty well, and if you can get a knight/dragon team going then dragon knight can absolutely gently caress up people

other ideas: necrophos and enigma are warlocks, get a third warlock, you got some lifesteal mister(and enigma/necrophos). if your economy is above 50 all game you can usually get some 4/5 cost units rolling. take your existing 3 star/2 star champions, and try to match them to the lategame picks. Or just pick tidehunter every time

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My first win, I won't be surprised if people report me because they think I was cheating. Draws lined up perfectly and I had 3 2 star units (clockwork, The spinny ork guy and orge mage) on turn 5 and just spiraled out of control from there.

This game is really a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I played it out of sheer boredom and have sunk 15 hours into it over the past two days.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 26, 2019

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

No Wave posted:

My current go-to lategame is 3 Dragons (Puck/Viper/DK) + 3 Mages (Puck/Razor/?) + SF. Fill it out with some tanky stuff up front and CC.

Razor and SF with -MR will nuke most of the opponents units off the bat and then DK cleans up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also is it normal to have to press play game a dozen times before you get a game starting? Or am I in some kind of new-to-dota hellqueue?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

No Wave posted:

Also is it normal to have to press play game a dozen times before you get a game starting? Or am I in some kind of new-to-dota hellqueue?

Yes, that's half of the time spent on the game. Beware tho that there is a bug that causes the game to try make a 10-man group that will bug out. If that happens and you (briefly) see that you are in a 10-man group or lobby just refuse the game instead of readying up. You will then get kicked out of the bugged lobby and hopefully join a normal 8-man group.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

It usually takes me 4-5 tries to finally get into the actual game between people not accepting or not connecting after everyone DOES accept. It's the worst part of the game by far.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

There are some people that intentionally troll by entering queue then declining when the queue pops. I ran into someone doing that 10 times straight one night and it only stopped when I declined and sat there for a minute

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

There are some people that intentionally troll by entering queue then declining when the queue pops. I ran into someone doing that 10 times straight one night and it only stopped when I declined and sat there for a minute

yeah and some people intentionally troll by picking shadow shaman

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Clutched a win at 1% with knights/mage/dragons/SF. All I had to do was fix some positioning (separated viper from my main corner and tucked DK further in) and the guy in 1st lost twice in a row to me. Formation matters!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
There is an alternative of playing QIHL, especially if you're bishop+ and want a bit more of a challenge. Has its own issues but at least you don't have to ready up 10 times for one game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I just want to say, gently caress THE HELLBEARS. That is all.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I just want to say, gently caress THE HELLBEARS. That is all.

Just wait till you reach the troll round

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

King Pawn posted:

There is an alternative of playing QIHL, especially if you're bishop+ and want a bit more of a challenge. Has its own issues but at least you don't have to ready up 10 times for one game.

What are your issues with QIHL? You can find a game within 5 minutes at pretty much any MMR

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Firebatgyro posted:

Just wait till you reach the troll round

Oh, I've managed to kill the Hellbears a few times, he Thunderhides though not even close, and I can't even begin to imagine what the later neutral rounds look like.

Please tell me round 40 is Roshan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh, I've managed to kill the Hellbears a few times, he Thunderhides though not even close, and I can't even begin to imagine what the later neutral rounds look like.

Please tell me round 40 is Roshan.

round 40 is trolls, a gang of extremely powerful trolls that decimate your army, 45 is a giant monster version of magnus, and i think 50 is roshan but i do not know if it can be beat and i have not seen it