Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

imgay posted:

They doubled every heros health pool, so blademail is basically twice as good now

Edit: Actually its way better than twice as good, since blade mail damage is factored in before mitigation from armor, and most units you are putting blade mail on have 10+ armor
I dont think thats true. You could say every weapon that deals damage is twice as good because heroes attack twice as many times on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blademail will deal twice as much damage but heroes have twice as much health so it cancels out. The things that get buffed are effects that build their damage over time like Slark or Bristleback.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 28, 2019

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea Slark has done some serious damage the few times I used him lately, especially with all the healing from your Underlord he's able to stack his buff to crazy levels.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

Yea Slark has done some serious damage the few times I used him lately, especially with all the healing from your Underlord he's able to stack his buff to crazy levels.
It's sort of double edged. Slark in particular got nerfed hard with all of the "break" abilities. He used to be an unstoppable beast, but now there's multiple ways to break things in one round.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

I dont think thats true. You could say every weapon that deals damage is twice as good because heroes attack twice as many times on average.

I don't think fights last twice as long. The underlords do a lot of damage. Defensive items definitely scaled better than offensive ones

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

It's sort of double edged. Slark in particular got nerfed hard with all of the "break" abilities. He used to be an unstoppable beast, but now there's multiple ways to break things in one round.

His ability also straight got nerfed.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

This patch is whacky as hell.

That was a L3 drow ranger with MoM.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It amazes me that they doubled the health on everything then looked at Pudge and the Knights and said that's okay right there

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm seriously just trying to wrap my head around this. For 6 gold you can have a 5k health unit that snipe pulls enemy Underlords and works better than an Axe because units in this game auto target the first unit they see anyway. They put this in then published it as a working patch for people to test. What the gently caress.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I haven't been able to win poo poo since this update :(

The gently caress is going on.

I try healers early game and I do no damage.

Next round I run into someone running 3 healers early game and I can't loving kill them.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Doltos posted:

I'm seriously just trying to wrap my head around this. For 6 gold you can have a 5k health unit that snipe pulls enemy Underlords and works better than an Axe because units in this game auto target the first unit they see anyway. They put this in then published it as a working patch for people to test. What the gently caress.

He's good, but he isn't unstoppable or anything. You can (and should, since he's in a ton of comps just to activate heartless) snipe his hook pretty easily. Bait him with something you don't mind getting hooked, or something you actively want to take some damage. I would much rather see a two star pudge on the opponents board round five or six than I would an actual target buddy, which is just pudge with slightly less damage and an automatic unit cap increase.

The real problem with this patch is how many hunters there are, and how good almost all of them are individually. Like, wind ranger is probably the worst hunter, and a three star wind ranger can still shred poo poo. It's pretty easy for three people to go hunters in the same game without necessarily contesting each others three star carries, which is just really stupid. There's also almost no way for the jail to hate hunters out of existence for a day, unlike basically every other alliance. Hell, the most impactful hunter to get jailed is probably drow, just because you'd actually have to work for heartless synergy for once. I don't really know how you fix it either, barring changing tags on one or two of the hunters again. Maybe just take it away from Lycan again and make him savage/brute/human, or just savage/human even and see how it goes from there.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I don't get it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's alot of healing while Slark lightly pokes stuff.

Honestly I don't know how to play anymore either but I guess that's proper after big changes.

Duos looks real cool but my friends don't wanna touch this game.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Grid's build is legit. I did a slight modification (Slardar for Io, and once I got the Necro/Io I'd take the Drow out for Io). Io connected to Veno initially, and then because Slark is usually the first to die, Io will rezz him and they'll demolish whatever's left of the enemy team.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

with hobgen

This was a fun crew. I think I would have won but I hosed up swapping items in the last round and left my MoM unequipped.

I still think underlords should be removed from underlords.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I figured the Underlords would be something that gave you team-wide passives with, maybe, some fancy abilities you can use in exchange for a resource (in my head, the passives would be things like Sven's thing where he swaps knight damage reduction for enhanced damage). I didn't think they'd be an additional super unit with three abilities that you also need to unlock things for by winning games with them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Maybe if they were more King like where you could have builds designed to target underlords and ones designed to fight pieces but otherwise yeah they're any annoying extra unit.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hope they patch the two formations people are exploiting to get assassins to not jump. It's bullshit and makes assassins even worse.

Doltos posted:

You can manipulate pudge's hooks by positioning well. He always go for the farthest unit from him. It's trivial to setup the first two hooks to be what you want. It's generally okay to have your underlord be the second hook in my experience, but I could be wrong there. First hook you usually want a one and done caster or something that's just in for the alliance bonus.

The added bonus of setting up this way is it plays well against assassins, too.

imgay posted:

His ability also straight got nerfed.
He's still great as long as he doesn't get broken. The nerf was to compensate for the hp pool change. But yeah, the slower ramp is pretty awkward at times.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 28, 2019

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I figure the Underlords might be intended to be a vector for the eventual monetization of the game, given that they could have cosmetic DLC and whatever, unlike the regular units which require to be visually distinct on behalf of their upgrades.
They do feel weird though and I don't think the current implementation is all that.
There needs to be more of them and they ought to stay off the field, maybe casting some spell every now and then (based on hype, which is a mechanic I don't hate) and having a passive that aids your team a bit. Just put them on the side. Also, they should shut up, I was already tired of them after three games.

The new additions to the cast seem nice and the jail is pretty neat too.
Io rules.
The new UI sucks rear end and needs a rework.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is elusive assassins strong? The few times i've seen it, it's won.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RBX posted:

Is elusive assassins strong? The few times i've seen it, it's won.
Assassins really struggle if you can position your units to fight against them without harming other matchups. It loses pretty hard to "good stuff", struggles against mages or hunters as well.

The biggest problem with assassins is they move completely predictably so you can setup to murder them. Mages/hunters can just clump in a corner, you can even do gross things like leaving a single empty square + positioning guys who are going to get super charged mana pools from being hit near the empty square so you get a free assassin frag and a jump start on the round. This works really well with pretty much anything, I abuse it all the time to protect my arc warden. Early on in the game, you can leave something like ench or shadow demon on the bottom edge to be hit and then put your underlord right above the empty square, and then you can put other stuff up more or tightly packed.

If it's down to only a few players, or if you're going to steam roll everyone except assassins, you can even do dirty things like pull tidehunter into the back line. Bristleback 2 also steamrolls assassins almost single handedly in non-savage drafts that have tanky or CC spamming units.

This rotation is pretty okay for assassins but you're going to get trounced by some combination of warriors/trolls/savages/arc warden/healer/warlock. Aka "good stuff".

If you 3* PA/slark early and get mask of madness 2x or something, it can be super sick. If your opponents don't position well or if their draft doesn't pan out assassins can steam roll. It really depends. Assassins really relies on hitting the right items and getting a 3* to get going. Warriors/Savages/a few other comps just rely on 2* stuff. Also, as time goes on more and more people are going to play Shadow Demon into the late game and he's potentially brutal for assassins and any kind of non-spell damage unit.

I also think they struggle with knights, especially the healer variants, but I've never drafted knights. Everytime I try I get handed sweet other stuff that I know for sure how to play.

splashing 3x assassin or some combination of elusive assassins into a mess of good units can work sometimes. NP and Tree losing elusive kind of hurts the splash, though.

I draft assassins kind of often. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Nyx is a pretty good addition to assassins.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 29, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I was talking about the Anti/TA/PA trio with whatever. Like Primordials or druids.

Also I really hate Target Buddy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RBX posted:

I was talking about the Anti/TA/PA trio with whatever. Like Primordials or druids.

Also I really hate Target Buddy.
Anti really drops off later on unless you 3* him, TA's meld is broken and only gives flat damage instead of a percent so she doesn't scale well, and PA is good. If they patch it so TA gets an actual percent boost TA will be pretty strong.

edit: They buffed void so assassins are probably pretty good now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 30, 2019

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
Assassins are probably the comp most dependent on three starring four of five units, and it still gets pretty random sometimes on close boards. They can beat almost anything if you roll lucky crits on key units, but if you don't you can just as easily take twenty hp worth of damage. That being said it's one of the better early strats now, imo, because the fact that there are three tier one assassins makes it really easy for it to come online early and roll over weak boards. Whether or not you stick with it or transition probably depends on how much competition there is for your later units and whether or not pa or slark are jailed for the day.

It really kind of sucks that faceless void doesn't benefit the tag he's the ace for. He's not a bad unit, he's just objectively terrible in a six assassin build.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Granstein posted:

It really kind of sucks that faceless void doesn't benefit the tag he's the ace for. He's not a bad unit, he's just objectively terrible in a six assassin build.

Speaking of, underlords.com/updates

- Fixed Assassins being trapped in Chronocube.

Played one game to test it, he drops it covering as few of your units as he can, and all friendly assassins instantly blink out to attack something else if there are any available targets they can attack without standing in the cube. It makes it significantly stronger to use him in an Assassin build.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Cinara posted:

Speaking of, underlords.com/updates

- Fixed Assassins being trapped in Chronocube.

Played one game to test it, he drops it covering as few of your units as he can, and all friendly assassins instantly blink out to attack something else if there are any available targets they can attack without standing in the cube. It makes it significantly stronger to use him in an Assassin build.

Yeah, I was a few hours early to the party on that change I guess. It makes sense, it was really bad design that an ace would actively make your other units worse. I still think his ace effect is pretty underwhelming, and I probably wouldn't pop him into the lineup at one star like I immediately do with a medusa or techies, but he's in a much better place now at least.

And since I seem to get what I wish for in this thread...Buff Sven next. He's another ace that isn't terribly good in a full build of the units he buffs. Not as unplayable as void was, but his ult is usually a downside in those builds and he doesn't do nearly enough damage himself to make up for it. I think the ace effect having a downside is an interesting trade off, but only if Sven does enough damage to sometimes justify it. Like, if I was struggling to three star Luna or CK, maybe I take advantage of the ace effect, but if I wasn't I'd leave Sven on the shelf. Right now he's just always on the shelf in those builds.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Void is. . . Very good with any ranged units. I just got raped by a guy who had very few synergies, but max primordial and void and it just wrecked me

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
New Update

Dota Underlords posted:

THE UPDATE IN WHICH THERE'S MORE GLOATING
GENERAL
Brought back the hero display on the defeat screen.
Fixed an issue where if your Aegis triggers (or you lose Divine Rapier) you can no longer assign some items.
AXE SMASH CRASH.
Fixed matches that would normally grant XP not granting XP.
Scoreboard added back to Duos!
Increased post-combat time slightly for all players.
Fixed a memory leak that caused slowdown when the game was played for many hours.
Added Underlords to Party UI.
Added two more Duos chat lines - "Should we level up?" and "Should we spend to reroll?"
Fixed some assassins not leaping.
Freestyle board code formats have been updated to support saving benched units.
Added support for custom jails on party matches: You can set a custom party jail by clicking on your “Create Custom Jail” context menu within the party and pasting a board code. Any draftable unit in the board or bench of your board code (up to 9) will be marked as banned in that custom lobby game.
Added charts to the Rulebook Glossary.
Other various UI improvements.

GAMEPLAY
Increased cost to level up to level 9 (and therefore 10) by 10 XP.
New unit odds in the shop for player level 3 and 9.

Anessix:
Passive Hype generation increased: 1.5 -> 1.8.
Martyr's Boon: buff duration down: 8 seconds -> 5 seconds.
Pure Pain: debuff duration up: 6 seconds -> 7 seconds.
Chaotic Hunter: number of extra shots down: 3 -> 1.
The End of Medicine: attack damage bonus increased: 25% -> 30%.
Fixed A Demon's Revenge not doing damage to the killer.
Fixed Phantom Pain not interacting correctly with Sympathy Pains. Now as long as one of the 2 targets affected by Pure Pain is alive, Phantom Pain is active.
Instant Regret: No longer affects Underlords.

Hobgen:
Attack Rate changed from 0.769->0.588
Attack Damage Minimum changed from [36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96, 108, 120, 132, 144] to [48, 60, 72, 84, 96, 108, 120, 132, 144, 160]
Attack Damage Maximum changed from [42, 54, 66, 78, 90, 102, 114, 126, 138, 150] to [54, 66, 78, 90, 102, 114, 126, 138, 150, 166]
Hype generation per burning unit changed 0.95 -> 1.2.
Super-Charged cast time decreased by 25%.
Hobgen is invulnerable and untargetable while casting Let's Go Crazy.
Fixed Let's Go Crazy not applying all Super-Charged upgrades to Hobgen.
Feedback Loop changed:
Before: Super-Charged units gain mana from damage caused by abilities. Upon casting, they deal damage equal to the mana cost to adjacent enemies.
After: Super-Charged unit's cast speed is increased by 30%.
Grease Fire: Hype granted per unit hit by Explosivo! up: 1 -> 3.
Got A Light? is now Burn out.
Before: Enemies attacked by Super-Charged units are set on fire for 3 seconds.
After: Super-Charged units have a 17% chance of stunning targets that are on fire for 1.25 seconds.

HERO CHANGES
Faceless Void:
Chronocube:
Cooldown changed [15, 12, 9] -> 60.

Legion Commander:
Attack Rate changed 0.667 -> 0.8.

ITEM CHANGES
Chainmail:
Bonus Armor changed 10 -> 7.

Octarine Essence:
Cooldown reduction changed 50% -> 30%.

Target Buddy:
Tier changed 2 -> 3.

ALLIANCE CHANGES
Savage:
Bonus Attack Damage per attack changed [4, 8, 15] -> [3, 6, 12]
Venomancer only gains 1 bonus stack on cast of Venomous Gale and does not gain per tick of that ability.

Some of the changes to Underlords skills are interesting, agree with the balance changes to units/items though. Target Buddy being t3 is important, can't luck into it from the first 3 creep rounds anymore and have free wins.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Don't necessarily like the leveling changes because it tries to force you into 3* comps, but at the same time 3* comps sucked last patch and leveling up makes your underlord way stronger which they should really rethink and make them scale on round instead of level.

Savage 6 shouldn't have been nerfed (maybe 4 shouldn't either) because you have to move off of savages once you're in the 20s or early 30s anyway. Savage 1 being nerfed is fine.

The other changes are pretty much universally good, although octarine didn't necessarily deserve a nerf.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 1, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

Don't necessarily like the leveling changes because it tries to force you into 3* comps, but at the same time 3* comps sucked last patch and leveling up makes your underlord way stronger which they should really rethink and make them scale on round instead of level.

Savage 6 shouldn't have been nerfed (maybe 4 shouldn't either) because you have to move off of savages once you're in the 20s or early 30s anyway. Savage 1 being nerfed is fine.

The other changes are pretty much universally good, although octarine didn't necessarily deserve a nerf.

I agree with all of that except octarine, it was making anyone with an ace or lvl 4 stun substantially better than anyone without (I agree with the implicit reduction of entropy)

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Assassins without Slark: good

In that second game I took down a guy that started at 95 HP with just the two of us left

marumaru
May 20, 2013

holy crap, i got a new phone and this thing not only runs amazingly well now it also looks great.
plus the fact that the game isnt a literal slideshow during fights is a huge improvement

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Assassins is so easy when you get 3* PA, 3* Slark, and 3x mask of madness + assault cuirass + shivas.

I got screwed hard by rng in the mid-late game. I sold off my AM who was 1 unit from 3* because I couldn't find bench space. On battle fury round I am not sure what I should have picked, everything sucked for assassins. Battlefury sucks too but whatever. I had ~30 hp by somewhere in the early-mid 20s and then made it past round 40 to 1st place.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 9, 2019

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone else's games get longer?

My last two games have been 60ish minutes and I'm starting to get super tired on the elliptical

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Studio posted:

Anyone else's games get longer?

My last two games have been 60ish minutes and I'm starting to get super tired on the elliptical
When they doubled the health pools and added underlords they massively screwed up game times and haven't fixed it yet.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Does not help there is more padded time between rounds.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Patch today seems pretty solid.

Also, in the fabled game of 7 mages I managed to draft 4x scaled + 3* viper:

I didn't get the hyperstone until 35 and the game ended on ~38-39, and I had to run refresher on sniper for a while which was kinda funny given what I was against and that he was standing near medusa. I was 1 sniper off of 3* sniper too at the end. And never found 2* dk.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 16, 2019

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Yea I think the recent patch improved the game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
despite all my rage appears to be bugged so the bonus damage on the minion scales with hype, like a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jail is annoying and giving everything a flat 2x HP was dumb. I have no idea what they can do next.