Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

omg T.O.V.A. is pictured on the "About" page and therefore so am I woooooooo though I look so sad :( probably because Nathaniel was on the mic :( It is fine I understand he is a fine auctioneer I was just disappointed because he did not follow the process and sign up

You’re sad looking because I’m standing in front of you staring at the display cases instead of basking in your skeletony prominence

Also I think the most nerds I ever saw cheer for a tabletop moment is only like 20 or so people who were spectating a particularly nasty jump I put in a PitchCar track at a small convention, and someone made it on the first

Are we going to organize any group viewing night of Hobocon or anything else? I would also nominate The Gamers as a nerd-pandering mockable media. Rabb.it is really good for that stuff, lightweight and browser based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Doublepost to say this is an excellent click, local artists making pothole memes is pretty great

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Modiphius just sent out an email offering $100 store credit for running a 4-hour session of any of their RPGs, if'n y'all were tryin' to get some of their products and happen to like running RPGs. (I'm strongly considering it just so I can buy a bunch of Vampire books.)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Granted, I am not 100% on the up and up as to what is going on with Vampire, but perhaps they are offering that because running VtM 5e at Gen Con will get you branded as in the RPG alt right? I know they last minute pulled out of Pax unplugged because of that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I think they are going to do a new print run that takes that specific flavor out of the Bruha but I also have limited understanding of recent WoD wads.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
lol I am king of gen con on SA. I first went in 2007, which led to the first episode of my podcast, Role Playing Public Radio, which I am still running. I've gone every year since then.

I also got my first book deal at Gen Con in 2008 with Arc Dream for a campaign for Monsters and Other Childish Things. That was A Curriculum of Conspiracy. That year I also recorded an 11.5 hour (spread over 2 nights) actual play run by Adam Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing, U-Boat Herasus. Since then, recording a Glancy game has become a tradition for RPPR.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

WerrWaaa posted:

Modiphius just sent out an email offering $100 store credit for running a 4-hour session of any of their RPGs, if'n y'all were tryin' to get some of their products and happen to like running RPGs. (I'm strongly considering it just so I can buy a bunch of Vampire books.)

I just entered an event for Star Trek Adventures because of the offer. It's my favorite relatively free form scenario - "survive Wolf 359."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eastmabl posted:

I just entered an event for Star Trek Adventures because of the offer. It's my favorite relatively free form scenario - "survive Wolf 359."

That sounds really good.

I still need to tie down what I'm doing, probably running something Delta Green. My friends and I had talked about doing a "campaign" event but we've all been busy and haven't hashed it out. I probably will after some work stuff gets handled soon.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
We didn't go last year cuz we were saving for our honeymoon, and now we are unsure if we're gonna go this year. It's possible my wife will be pregnant and she isn't gonna want to be on her feet for the weekend.

Maybe I'll just get the Sunday badge or something so I can meander the remnants of the exhibition hall.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skypie posted:

We didn't go last year cuz we were saving for our honeymoon, and now we are unsure if we're gonna go this year. It's possible my wife will be pregnant and she isn't gonna want to be on her feet for the weekend.

Maybe I'll just get the Sunday badge or something so I can meander the remnants of the exhibition hall.

My wife was 7.5 months pregnant one year, the convention center let her borrow/use a wheelchair so she could stay off her feet. Whether that's worth it to her is another question, but the option is there.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

If singing to pregnant tummies is good for baby development than nerd herding in a con certainly must be.

Also, Star Trek: will try to snap up a seat! I'd likely bite the bullet and run a game if Tales from the Loop was on their list :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I really hope they release an actual statement about Zak. I can't really afford to skip on the badge I bought but I'll be cancelling the events I had planned and sticking to running goon stuff outside of the con most likely if they don't.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I doubt they will. Likely for legal reasons. They arent going to publically post their ban list for sure. I think the best thing we can hope for is a statement about how they value the safety of attendees and pointing to their anti harassment policy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is this Zak S.? Is he finally facing some consequences for being an overall awful person?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Plenty of other orgs have been comfortable publishing their intent to no longer work with Zak, so I don't buy the legal angle, and if that is their thing it's cowardly and doesn't mesh with LoTFP saying he'll be there.

Yeah it's Zak S. Mandy Morbid wrote a post about how he abused her and pretended to be her online (all those posts from her about how good he is that read suspiciously like his writing? It were him) and the floodgates kinda opened this week. GenCon released a non-statement about it

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I dunno, Gen Con is a pretty big org, and saying publically you will actively prevent someone from attending something is different from saying you wont work with them. It's not like they need to fire the person, just not sign on any new contracts. It would also be a kind of weird precedent, in that would people then expect gen con to let the public know everytime they ban someone and why?

Do what you feel is best, obviously, but I sincerely dont think it's as simple for gen con as a small publisher just saying they wont do more freelance work with someone.

Where is the lotfp statement? I haven't seen anything from them yet.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think its a valuable part of any anti-harassment policy to make it clear if people are gonna be safe attending somewhere, and I don't really see the value in keeping it a secret, that kinda defeats the purpose imo.

The last public statement on the Demon City KS says Zak will be there - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1070557469/demon-city-the-ultimate-horror-rpg/posts/2406267 apparently later backer only posts say the project will go ahead but Zak isn't getting any more work but doesn't, as far as I know cause I didn't back it, mention him being there or not, so I'm gonna assume he will be till shown otherwise.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That's not an lotfp project

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

"" posted:

Zak and myself both plan on attending Gen Con 2019, hanging out with James Raggi (creator of Lamentations of the Flame Princess) and Jacob Hurst (author of Hot Spring Island) at the LotFP booth. Please stop by and say hello if you plan to attend Gen Con this year!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sounds like a good opportunity for hundreds of people to ask everyone at the booth why they're partnering with a known serial harasser.

Just make sure you hide your name.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Didn't mudcrab talk to someone about cospay is not consent last year?

Maybe she still has an email address for someone who's job it is to care about this kind of thing.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ego Trip posted:

Didn't mudcrab talk to someone about cospay is not consent last year?

Maybe she still has an email address for someone who's job it is to care about this kind of thing.

ping her in groupme, usually the best way

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
This got posted in the groupme but in case anyone here isnt there (Why?):

https://twitter.com/mforbeck/status/1097306061495767040

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I suspect all we have to do is wait five minutes and Zak will pop up with the world's longest and most boring screed of lies confirming his ban. Maybe he will go hang out at the same bar as the guy who got punched last year, and it will become a Gen-Con tradition for someone to go punch a banned harasser

Fellis posted:

You’re sad looking because I’m standing in front of you staring at the display cases instead of basking in your skeletony prominence
I am shocked I did not notice that, but yes, I suspect I am keeping a watchful eye on you, knowing you are bound to snap and steal everything in sight and fly through the ceiling at any moment.

Fellis posted:

Are we going to organize any group viewing night of Hobocon or anything else? I would also nominate The Gamers as a nerd-pandering mockable media. Rabb.it is really good for that stuff, lightweight and browser based.
I am down for all of the above; I feel like Nesbit37's public e-viewing of Hobocon last year should have been awesome but since I could not even "be there" I have no idea how it went. Maybe we can watch all of them at the same time and see if they align perfectly

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If people want to do an online group viewing of Hobocon it could be arranged. Last year it was just me and one other, but we had fun despite it being a terrible film. That was organized at the last minute though so I am not surprised it was poorly attended. I have a couple of hours of footage from Gen Con in the 90s I wish I could share but I can't :(

I also have Uber Goober which, while also a bad film, does contain an ok amount of footage from Gen Con in the late 90s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386836/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

If people want to do an online group viewing of Hobocon it could be arranged. Last year it was just me and one other, but we had fun despite it being a terrible film. That was organized at the last minute though so I am not surprised it was poorly attended. I have a couple of hours of footage from Gen Con in the 90s I wish I could share but I can't :(

I also have Uber Goober which, while also a bad film, does contain an ok amount of footage from Gen Con in the late 90s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386836/
Whoa, I forgot about Uber Goober, I always wanted to watch it since I had no doubt it was terrible yet would cover things I was interested in. Add it to the list!

Also, how did you end up with footage that you cannot share? I assume you did not take it yourself and/or you sold the rights to the D&D Documentary people or something? Or by merely asking this question I am voiding our friendship?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's related to the doc, yeah, that's the jist of it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/1098692902228639744

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fuckin good

didnt take long for the chuds for that nazi who got his rear end beat to show up tho

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Came to post that, glad they did the right thing and I can keep coming seeing all you dweebs for many GenCons to come

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Came to post that, glad they did the right thing and I can keep coming seeing all you dweebs for many GenCons to come

oh thaaaat's what that was about.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

fuckin good

didnt take long for the chuds for that nazi who got his rear end beat to show up tho
No but they always show up and post their literally insane screeds and get two likes and then literally anyone who says "actually maybe Nazis are bad" gets a lot more and then we can smile and think maybe we still have a future as a society

Also let us not forget that Zak's tactics of posting as other people to prop yourself up are no doubt used by many of his ilk, and there is a very real chance half of any detractors posting on something like this are all from one guy. Also probably Zak.

Speaking as someone who discovered Zak through Mandy Morbid and had no idea he was involved with gaming for years, my favorite part is that it was immediately obvious from literally any of his actions that he was a malignant narcissist (possibly in the clinical sense, definitely in the colloquial sense), and it is so very good that his achievements in the mostly-reasonable-people world are being taken away. I am sure he has a glorious future ahead of him once he fully embraces his white supremacist supporters though!

OH

SO

ABOUT

GEN

CON

I was doing what I always do, making illogical choices with my free time, and I realized how different the future would have seemed if I had been as obsessed with Gen Con in 2002 as I am now; just try looking at the Gen Con webpage from 2002 and not assume that the future of Gen Con was a bunch of diluted conventions rather than one all-encompassing extravaganza. I mean, moving the show from its then-well-established "home" and also suddenly announcing three other versions of the show would have seemed insane and worrying to me if I had actually known about it at the time. "Nobody is gonna go to the Midwest one!!!" No worries, Younger Quarex; all other conventions will crash and burn horribly because this multi-pronged expansion is happening about 5 years too soon.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gen Con California! (no one went), Gen Con Australia! (5 guys in a taco bell with half a copy of Starfleet Battles), Gen Con Europe! (I think. I honestly can't remember what the third one was)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There were a whole bunch of Gen Cons in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere:

http://best50yearsingaming.com/neatline/fullscreen/gen-con-map#records/16

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I worked GenCon SoCal once. Ask me once I've had a few beers at GenCon this year and I'll tell you about how [a person who is definitely a legally distinct person from me] evacuated the place with fire.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress possesses people to put cons in places no one is interested in? Or to overreach that hard?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

There were a whole bunch of Gen Cons in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere:

http://best50yearsingaming.com/neatline/fullscreen/gen-con-map#records/16
I never thought I would have to allow cross-referenced scripts from Temple University to examine a Gen-Con timeline

Disappointed but not surprised to see that gaming conventions were in a lull during the latter parts of the English Reformation

Here we see the growing seeds of an ancient gaming culture

Also worth noting this timeline is seriously rad and I really do not remember seeing it before, so thanks for it existing! I love that you even have the "ha ha, Gary" 1967 Actual Starting Point convention in there. Thanks, Jon Peterson

8one6 posted:

Gen Con California! (no one went), Gen Con Australia! (5 guys in a taco bell with half a copy of Starfleet Battles), Gen Con Europe! (I think. I honestly can't remember what the third one was)

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress possesses people to put cons in places no one is interested in? Or to overreach that hard?
I have no doubt that these locations were driven on some level by sales, surely? Maybe some level of "yeah I bet they play games in Spain, why not" but I hope with such big investments nobody was going in that blind. Actually I wonder if a fair number of them were groups licensing the name to give their event some sort of greater credibility? That would not explain why there was a sudden explosion when Peter Adkison bought the whole shebang though. And there were like a dozen different Gens-Con Europe locations 8one6, behold the map and tremble in horror

Also when I found out about Gen Con Benelux is when I learned two things: just how deep the Gen Con rabbit hole went, and the abbreviation "Benelux."

Toshimo posted:

I worked GenCon SoCal once. Ask me once I've had a few beers at GenCon this year and I'll tell you about how [a person who is definitely a legally distinct person from me] evacuated the place with fire.
"Are you the person who started this fire"
"Are you asking the flesh-and-blood freegamer on the hexmap or the petitioning entity"
"Are you the person who started this fire, yes or no"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Making a new reply because I feel like this thing I found while searching for more information on Gen Con East needs to be highlighted: here is the passive-aggressive blog of someone who is mad that Gen-Con "left the Midwest" :stare:

In fact, Minnesota is less-often seen as the Midwest than Indiana or Wisconsin. I mean, most coastal-types forget which one is Illinois and which one is Indiana anyway. Jeeze.

Edit: I foresee a life where I decide to visit every location that has ever hosted a Gen-Con. That is really a shame

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Actually I wonder if a fair number of them were groups licensing the name to give their event some sort of greater credibility? That would not explain why there was a sudden explosion when Peter Adkison bought the whole shebang though. And there were like a dozen different Gens-Con Europe locations 8one6, behold the map and tremble in horror

According to, I believe, Mike Carr, Gen Con West, South, and East were all run by people licensing the names. They went horribly, though, and he told me it was going so bad that most of TSR loaded up in cars and drove to the 2nd (and final) Gen Con East to prevent it from being a complete dumpster fire.

Yeah, here it is:

Nesbit37 interviewing Mike Carr posted:

Shoemaker: Gen Con, as we know it today, that is in Indianapolis, is not the only Gen Con that has happened. I know when you were working for TSR you were all shipped off to Gen Con East at one point. Could you talk a little bit about what that was like and how it was different from the main event that was in Wisconsin at the time?

Carr: That's an interesting question and one of the side notes of the history of Gen Con I think is the fact that TSR tried to use the Gen Con name and encourage groups, or I think it was probably more likely that groups in other areas; Jacksonville, Florida had a Gen Con South, and they asked "could we call our convention Gen Con South?" and could somebody from TSR make the trip to Jacksonville, which I did at least once. Then Gen Con east was in Chester Pennsylvania for several years and that was a good thing. It was a success. Again it was a relatively modest affair in both cases, but, you know we're talking hundreds of people rather than thousands of people. But it was a success, so I guess it was inevitable that as time moved on those events faded and at some point stopped. They were emulations, I guess, of the great Gen Con and TSR certainly did support them by sending people to them. We made a journey to Gen Con East, Brian Blume insisted that we drive straight through. It was 14 or 16 hours, endless trip, we had to drive through Chicago of course and past Cleveland and all the way to Baltimore without stopping or sleeping other than some quick meals. So I don't have a fond recollection of at least the road trip portion of that. When you get out into other areas, and especially in those days, going to Jacksonville to meet people in Florida who loved D&D and other games and going to Chester, Pennsylvania near Philly and again meeting people who, you know, didn't have the wherewithal to come to Gen Con in Lake Geneva, usually because they were young and they were college students and nobody had any money just to meet them and, you know, see their appreciation for people from TSR making the trip to their backyard and having these events. It was very gratifying. The cool thing I think, even now, all these many years later is just the genuine interest and enthusiasm and excitement that a lot of these gamers have, whether your favorite game is D&D, or Dawn Patrol or anything else. Just meeting people at these events is just a wonderful treat because they express their appreciation and many times I've had people say "Oh, I've played your B1 module, In Search of the Unknown, it was one of my first experiences with Dungeons & Dragons, I just had the greatest time and I just want to shake your hand." and how cool is that. I talked to a guy yesterday who said that he's run the B1 module many, many times for decades. I said well, how many times do you think you've run it? This may sound crazy but I've probably run it 100 times. I've got 5 different versions of it, riffing off of what you've created just to kind of keep it fresh so that people will play it again. So its not the same for them and they've got a few surprises along the way. Just meeting the gamers and stuff at these conventions is great. Not to mention the camaraderie of interacting with your fellow gamers or meeting new people and again I talked to some people that said "Oh I met somebody at a convention, you know, 30 years ago and we've stayed friends ever since." The friendship aspect and the social side of this activity is wonderful, and really conventions promelgate that and offer the opportunity to mix with other gamers and make new friends.

More oral histories here:
http://best50yearsingaming.com/exhibits/show/interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Quarex posted:

In fact, Minnesota is less-often seen as the Midwest than Indiana or Wisconsin. I mean, most coastal-types forget which one is Illinois and which one is Indiana anyway. Jeeze.

Having spent most of my life in the Midwest, I'm going to make the following assertion: Indiana is, in fact, a part of the South.