Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are car
This poll is closed.
Yes its practival 72 49.66%
Yes I need it to make up for micropenis 27 18.62%
No cars are a waste 17 11.72%
no i never leave house 29 20.00%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
seem to be just money guzzlers unless you wanna drive around doing burnouts at 3am to impress the town skank

pros: town skank likes you (jk she likes the car not you )'
those videos of the girl riding the handbrake/gearshift

cons: fuel $$$
insurnce $$$
registration $$$
repairs $$$
license $$$
risk of death
ozone layer holes
town skank gave you super chlamidia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Ted Bundy used a car

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
yes i do hth

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

AWWNAW posted:

Ted Bundy used a car

exavlty my point, how depressed was he even though his daughter was applegate

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
you don't "need" it, but it's like living life as a perpetual dependent child without one. You don't control whether you get to where you need to be on time, it's up to the public transportation schedules. You have to be that guy in your friend group who always needs a ride. You can't get more groceries than what you can carry back with you.

the only benefit is you can be drunk on the bus and can read while you go to work, but the sacrifices of your autonomy aren't worth it.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
lol, a car!

just get a motorbike, go adventuring and leave that lovely city you live in behind

rats live in cities

u a rat?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

you don't "need" it, but it's like living life as a perpetual dependent child without one. You don't control whether you get to where you need to be on time, it's up to the public transportation schedules. You have to be that guy in your friend group who always needs a ride. You can't get more groceries than what you can carry back with you.

the only benefit is you can be drunk on the bus and can read while you go to work, but the sacrifices of your autonomy aren't worth it.

or just live in a major metropolitan area where this poo poo is a non-issue. then again you would be depriving yourself of the agency of sitting stuck in traffic i guess

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Generic Monk posted:

or just live in a major metropolitan area where this poo poo is a non-issue. then again you would be depriving yourself of the agency of sitting stuck in traffic i guess

not in the USA

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

what if you live a minute away from work / store

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Sorry, too stupid to drive a car.
Limit: 50km/h
Car speed: 10km/h

But yea, driving a car is pretty expensive.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I live in Florida so there is no choice, major metro area or not.

Which reminds me, come to think of it...

AWWNAW posted:

Ted Bundy used a car

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Thankfully in the US we have the wealth, freedom and indepence to each get our own vehicles instead of riding trains and poo poo like some impoverished commies

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Generic Monk posted:

A major metropolitan area with functioning public transportation anyway.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yes. Because suburbs. You can't just walk a block or two and get what you need. If I set out in the morning to get groceries on my own legs it will be night before I get home. Public transport is useless for getting chores done, getting anywhere on time, or not getting drenched in rain. There's no sidewalks anyway. Just drainage ditches. If I don't have a car I'm a dead man. The only solution is to turn every square inch of NA into a crowded city.

Other than that you'll have to bring back dirt roads and carriages.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I live somewhere with no reliable public transport and the nearest store is 5km away. My work commute is 60km across a mountain, the nearest city is 20km away.
The car drive to the airport takes 90 minutes. The bus takes 3 hours (if it shows up).
hth

My car is a 1.4L petrol and costs me approximately €120 per month in fuel.
Insurance: €600 per year
Tax: €220 per year
Maintenance: €180 per year.

Thats cheap all things considering. Adults who can't drive/don't own a car are not to be trusted around here. They're generally just weird/incompetant and too lazy to learn how to drive.
If you live in a city or large town I can understand and I'd ditch my car in an instant. But anywhere else? Nah.

Some day I dream of being able to cycle to work.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2019

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The highway is a few hundred feet from my apartment building and ditto my workplace, which means if there was some kind of functioning light rail or tram I could easily take that to work and note drive a car but instead we are building another lane extension (for half a mile) because that will assuredly solve the problem of traffic in Southern California.

Definitely should build a wall though. Yup. So cool to build random infrastructure in the desert to protect from MS13 phantasms conjured up by terrified white people in Ohio.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Nonviolent J posted:

I mean, if the question you're asking is 'on the proviso that every place you could possibly want to go to is within a mile of your doorstep, do you even need a car in this day', sure, but that's a dumb question

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
no u

thats my situatiom

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nonviolent J posted:

well that would be great i guess if all you want to do with your life is eat, sleep and work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ElectricSheep posted:

I live in Florida so there is no choice, major metro area or not.

Which reminds me, come to think of it...

Yeah in SFL if I wanted to get to work not using a car for <20 mins, it’d be like 90 minutes of walking and bus use. I do miss working from home at times.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

well that would be great i guess if all you want to do with your life is eat, sleep and work.

what else is there to do

drive to some bullshit national park or big rock and take a selfie?

i;ll just GIS or youtube it, whats the point of going there its just a memory i can make up my own memorys

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You & the rest of the poors can ride the iron horse all you want.

squid pro quo
Nov 11, 2018
Do I want to listen to my music in a clean, private vehicle where I control the temperature and takes me to my destination directly, or do I want to walk to the train station and then wait around for a train full of angry, smelly people where I am lucky to get a seat and takes three times as long to get me to my destination?
That’s a tough decision

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nonviolent J posted:

what else is there to do

i;ll just GIS or youtube it, whats the point of going there its just a memory i can make up my own memorys

you are reminding me of tiggum. Do you also hate sunsets?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Don't live in America.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

COMRADES posted:

not in the USA

yeah as dour as the uk is at least you don’t have to drive for 30 minutes to get to the shop

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

you are reminding me of tiggum. Do you also hate sunsets?

i dont hate them but theyre pointless

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Owning and operating a car is cheap as hell in America if you aren't buying a new one every other year and it's not a fussy, expensive model that requires frequent maintenance. License is $25 a year, registration is $50 per car, you can get liability insurance for a couple hundred bucks a year, gas is comparatively cheap to most other major countries, and maintenance costs on econoboxes mostly comes down to oil changes. The only thing that could really skyrocket those costs is if you live in a place where storing a car costs a dickload, but this is a concept that is completely foreign to a very large percentage of Americans.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Owning and operating a car is cheap as hell in America if you aren't buying a new one every other year and it's not a fussy, expensive model that requires frequent maintenance. License is $25 a year, registration is $50 per car, you can get liability insurance for a couple hundred bucks a year, gas is comparatively cheap to most other major countries, and maintenance costs on econoboxes mostly comes down to oil changes. The only thing that could really skyrocket those costs is if you live in a place where storing a car costs a dickload, but this is a concept that is completely foreign to a very large percentage of Americans.

This varies WIDELY by state. In FL even with a spotless record, your insurance is going to be way higher than in a state where people actually know how to drive. License is almost 40 a year in my county. And god help you if you don't have enough cash up front and a bad credit score (aka a good chunk of millenials and younger people)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

extra row of teeth posted:

This varies WIDELY by state. In FL even with a spotless record, your insurance is going to be way higher than in a state where people actually know how to drive. License is almost 40 a year in my county. And god help you if you don't have enough cash up front and a bad credit score (aka a good chunk of millenials and younger people)

Not in my experience. My rate in florida was around 110 a month, when I moved to Maryland where people allegedly are good at driving it jumped to 156, and I have never been in an accident and haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 2001.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I live somewhere with no reliable public transport and the nearest store is 5km away. My work commute is 60km across a mountain, the nearest city is 20km away.
The car drive to the airport takes 90 minutes. The bus takes 3 hours (if it shows up).
hth

My car is a 1.4L petrol and costs me approximately €120 per month in fuel.
Insurance: €600 per year
Tax: €220 per year
Maintenance: €180 per year.

Thats cheap all things considering. Adults who can't drive/don't own a car are not to be trusted around here. They're generally just weird/incompetant and too lazy to learn how to drive.
If you live in a city or large town I can understand and I'd ditch my car in an instant. But anywhere else? Nah.

Some day I dream of being able to cycle to work.
Same but I live in a city with public transportation out the rear end and it's still easier and faster to take the car outside of some routes at rush hours. I can walk to work which helps but it makes a huge differences shopping or visiting friends in different parts of the city or other towns. Plus burnouts and drifting in the winter, can't do that with a tram. Costs gently caress all to run too, like $100/yr liability, $50 for highway tolls and $30 for fresh oil.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I need 2. The electric car for normal daily commuting, and the F-150 for when it's time to load up the scuba gear/bicycles/kayaks/camping equipment, and go play. Or when the snow is high on the road. Or when there's a long road trip.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have five cars to impress five different town skanks

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It costs thousands of dollars a year to own and operate a car... Like $5-6k+ on average

quote:

you can get liability insurance for a couple hundred bucks a year

Lol where

Woden
May 6, 2006

Nonviolent J posted:

what else is there to do

You're supposed to do those things with other people, not go solo.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

If you can reasonably live without a car, more power to you. For me living without one would require more inconvenience and planning to my life then I'm frankly willing to deal with.

Also driving fast on an open highway blaring music is one of the few things left in my life that brings me happiness. Please OP, don't take what little I have left away from me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

COMRADES posted:

It costs thousands of dollars a year to own and operate a car... Like $5-6k+ on average

umm what? maybe if you're driving a ferrari. Even my beat to poo poo explorer where pretty much everything was broken and needed a new mass airflow sensor every couple months barely broke 2k a year to keep running/legal on the worst years.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
i dont have a car because i am a sad little baby who cant even drive but its only costing me $50 bucks a month to live this way so,

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

umm what? maybe if you're driving a ferrari. Even my beat to poo poo explorer where pretty much everything was broken and needed a new mass airflow sensor every couple months barely broke 2k a year to keep running/legal on the worst years.

he must be including gas as he mentioned 'operate'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
if you can get away with not driving where you live good god is it nice, and saves money, but then im one of those weirdos who isn't terrified of the other people on public transit