Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are car
This poll is closed.
Yes its practival 72 49.66%
Yes I need it to make up for micropenis 27 18.62%
No cars are a waste 17 11.72%
no i never leave house 29 20.00%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BloodRed posted:

he must be including gas as he mentioned 'operate'

even then, i got like 13 mpg and my gas cost was like 100 a month. I included that in my 2k a year thing. The sensor replacement was only like 150 a pop and oil changes are cheap. When expensive stuff started breaking like the air conditioning i just sold it.

I guess maybe if you include loan payments it would be as much as he said, but that's a little disingenuous. Once you actually own a car the operating costs aren't nearly that much no matter what side things you lump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
missing a bus that came early is one of the most infuriating experiences known to man however

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Own and operate probably means including the cost of the car too, but its real easy to spend less than 5-6k. Most americans drive cars they cant responsibly afford

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Depends on where you live. I live a short walking distance from where I work and where I take classes, a grocery store, and a dozen bus routes around the area. Uber's always there when I need it for anything else

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
but for pretty much everyone who lives outside of a city in America the answer is yes, absolutely

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My city has a big tram and train network so I don't really drive much at all, it freaks me out a bit since i got epilepsy

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Yep, I commute 30 miles to work everyday (and park a mile away and walk in since parking is $110 a month). City where I live does not have public transit. gently caress, there aren't even sidewalks or pedestrian crossings at most stop lights. I wish I could take a bus or train but there isn't poo poo here.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
With the wife at home I just get the supermarket shopping delivered which is great until the personal shopper fucks up your order and gets regular steak instead of aged steak FUCKIN IDIOT

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I have a license and car but I let my registration expire about 5 years ago. I can easily get everywhere I need, but I specifically chose the house I live in because it's less than a 5 minute walk to shops, train station and bus stop. I doubt it's that easy for most people.

I live in Brisbane, and Australia in general is pretty good for public transport. It also sounds like our suburbs are more self-contained, you generally don't have to go very far for day-to-day stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The main thing I didn't like about living somewhere where I had to rely on public transportation is that my brain starts to malfunction when I'm in a crowded place with no easy exit. It's not exactly claustrophobia but kind of the same thing. I was in a packed tram to work one day in germany and a car accident meant we were stuck for a while and the doors couldn't open and I passed out. Nobody seemed to notice fortunately but with a car you don't have to worry about poo poo like that, you can just pull in to the next gas station or whatever whenever you need to.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I work at home, drive maybe 10 miles a week now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol just lol at 'living' in the 'US' of 'A'

driving is hella fun though if you aren't commuting in traffic

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Pitdragon posted:

if you can get away with not driving where you live good god is it nice, and saves money, but then im one of those weirdos who isn't terrified of the other people on public transit

What this dude said ^^^

I sold my awesome car (it was dying. RIP Ford Falcon 4.0) and now I walk everywhere and catch trains. You see more poo poo in detail when you're walking. Like don't get me wrong, I love driving, but I also love drinking and taking drugs. They are incompatible, we have Random Drug Testing. It takes me 10 mins to walk to the railway station and there's a train every ½ hour.

:350:

squid pro quo
Nov 11, 2018
Driving is fun. Find a curvy mountain road and enjoy it

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I almost impressed the town skank yesterday but luckily I did not have the car (with me)

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
The town skank is really misunderstood. She just likes cars and wants to ride in them all.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I live in the loving sticks so yes

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I once considered taking the bus to work to save a little money and do my part in reducing environmental whatever impact but realizing I was looking at a 1.5 hour bus ride one way to get where I needed to be vs a 20 minute car trip quickly laid to rest any notion that public transit was worth a poo poo in my city.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i still drive a 1999 Acura and I'll be dead in the cold, hard ground before that thing dies.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yeah I eat rear end posted:

umm what? maybe if you're driving a ferrari. Even my beat to poo poo explorer where pretty much everything was broken and needed a new mass airflow sensor every couple months barely broke 2k a year to keep running/legal on the worst years.

Idk take it up with AAA and the Bureau of Transportation it's their number

It's based on average annual miles driven of 15k

It's also obv an average. Still $2k a year isn't nothing.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 28, 2019

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Unfinish3d posted:

but for pretty much everyone who lives outside of a city in America the answer is yes, absolutely

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'd love to not have a car but, well, the nearest bus stop to me is like a quarter mile walk and it's not reliable and it doesn't drop off near my work

If I could get rid of my car, I would but there's no way we could

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

you are reminding me of tiggum. Do you also hate sunsets?

Sunsets! That's another lovely thing about driving, trying to do it while the sun's directly in front of you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

COMRADES posted:

Idk take it up with AAA and the Bureau of Transportation it's their number

It's based on average annual miles driven of 15k

It's also obv an average. Still $2k a year isn't nothing.

well if you're presenting their number it's on you to define what they mean by that number, otherwise it's disingenuous, which is a thing you seem to like to be. People like you love to copy paste graphs without axis labels or numbers without context, but you are just harming your own argument by doing so.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skypie posted:

I'd love to not have a car but, well, the nearest bus stop to me is like a quarter mile walk and it's not reliable and it doesn't drop off near my work

If I could get rid of my car, I would but there's no way we could

The nearest bus stop from my home is 12 miles away. Lol

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Skypie posted:

I'd love to not have a car but, well, the nearest bus stop to me is like a quarter mile walk

that is 5 minutes at usual speed

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Busy doing endless burnouts to impress the town skunk.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

lol but seriously I posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's far but it would absolutely suck if I have to walk there at 3am to catch the only bus that would get me to work on time, assuming the bus is on schedule.

Look I'm all for making public transit work in America, but it doesn't right now so unless you live right next to your job and a grocery store, not having a car is a massive inconvenience.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Not owning a car is the new "I don't even own a TV :smug:".

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is a town only allowed one skank?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
skanking for the bus don't make you a skank

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you live in a city with decent public transit: No

If you live anywhere else: Yes

Also no goku voted 1

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

lol but seriously I posted:

you can probably shave 20 seconds off that if you slipstream

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I skateboarding at least 2 miles a day usually more if I'm making a late night cookout run. It's like 4 miles round trip so I can get 4 bbq chicken wraps without guilt take that fatties

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
City: probably no
Rural: probably yes
Have kids: lol yes idiot. your crotch spawn gently caress trophies will be draining your money for the rest of your life

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

What would a town do with two

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Skypie posted:

the nearest bus stop to me is like a quarter mile walk

The rest of your complaints make sense but this here is super weak, a qtr mile is like 7 min max even if you walk slowly (unless u have a legit disability or something (but ur a goon so likely just fat lol))

I got a job recently a mile from home and it's fuckin great, walk everyday. The office is also right next to a grocery store so I can shop on my way home. There's also a local dog park just off my commute so I can swing by to watch some pups play on my way home if I'm so inclined. Also a lot of good restaurants and bars on the way, and hopefully soon the smoke shops will start sellin legal weed so I'll have everything I need :okpos:

The downside? Terrible Boston real estate prices. But I had to commute on terrible MA roads for years so gently caress ever doing that again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burt Sexual posted:

No, but your'e only ever trying to impress the Ur-Skank.

She's the one with the prime Skank powers, and may skank over a region for up to 30 years. Eventually her skanking powers start to wain, and the sub-skanks sense this and move in for the kill. There'll be a period of a few weeks where the regional skank situation is in flux, as great skank battles take place to determine who will the new skank primarch. Eventually it all settles down and the new hierarchy is established, and a coronation will take place where guys will rev their Trans-Ams to ring in their new Ur-Skank

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

well if you're presenting their number it's on you to define what they mean by that number, otherwise it's disingenuous, which is a thing you seem to like to be. People like you love to copy paste graphs without axis labels or numbers without context, but you are just harming your own argument by doing so.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Average+cost+to+own+a+car+in+usa

What's disingenuous is pretending like an anecdote itt represents the entire nation as a whole and then getting nasty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you're still making payments on it, you don't own it