Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao they gave nia a spot in the men’s rumble while giving Becky the stupid knee injury spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

And I don't get the Seth hate outside of the idea that people would hate whoever gets put on the top because WWE is excellent at watering people down. People always want something else until that person actually get picked and WWE starts watering them down. Same thing will happen to Becky if she wins the title and gets a long reign.

He’s a Nazi.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shinjobi posted:

Is Seth winning bad? No. Is Seth winning after that awful Dean feud a heat killer? Yeah. Kinda like how Dolph Ziggler winning in any way would have been awful.

lmao he made this big attention seeking gesture about oooohh is dolph gonna leave is he gonna retire or go to aew or something ooh ooh pay attention to dolph and he just shows up three weeks later like george loving costanza showing back up at yankee stadium monday morning.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

That and if want to be a little lovely in saying this, but when WWE likes doing these intergender stuff they usually want one of the bigger stronger women's wrestlers to do it.

At this point I am 100% sure that vague leaks about Nia made people assume it was going to be Becky, and they're rolling with the "Vince changed his mind" to cover for that assumption.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Predictable results work great but there needs to be a story to get invested in that guides the predictability. Just look at Becky winning which is the culmination of about three months of her arc. Seth's not had any kind of story with Brock or the Universal title and he only cared about winning the Rumble last week. Instead it's just 'the guy you thought was gonna win the Rumble won, that's cool I guess'

The only possible face I give the tiniest poo poo about won the rumble, so I'm cool with it

Sorry I like a wrestler you guys don't like but, hell, I've liked Roman for years so I'm used to it

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Rarity posted:

Predictable results work great but there needs to be a story to get invested in that guides the predictability. Just look at Becky winning which is the culmination of about three months of her arc. Seth's not had any kind of story with Brock or the Universal title and he only cared about winning the Rumble last week. Instead it's just 'the guy you thought was gonna win the Rumble won, that's cool I guess'
I would like to counter this by saying winning the Royal Rumble so you can headline WrestleMania is the best possible beginning of a story. Seth not having a shot at the Universal Title beforehand doesn't matter.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I am genuinely curious why, story-wise, Finn wouldn't use the demon against loving BROCK when he felt it was needed against baron corbin

if they were gonna do a switch and have him win the rumble, I'd get it. But they obviously did not.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Testekill posted:

Predictable things are fine when the execution is good. Guess what the rumble wasn't

It's like people (being generous to that one idiot not calling him out specifically so I'll assume multiple others legit think that) literally forgot a full second half of an hour long Rumble being booed because actually everyone knew Reigns was winning, and even indie geeks getting eliminated by Show and Kane didn't help, and even Dwayne coming out and raising his hand after couldn't help

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dolph ziggler worked the mizarks and should have won i think

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

The Kimoa Kid posted:

At this point I am 100% sure that vague leaks about Nia made people assume it was going to be Becky, and they're rolling with the "Vince changed his mind" to cover for that assumption.

thats possible but the way that people were presenting the 'secret/surprise' as something positive probably crossed the becky wins rumble rumor with nia does something rumor into becky wins the mens rumble

which is still better anyways

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

this, yeah

The problem isn't Seth, Seth is great. The problem is Seth WAS on loving fire last year and they squandered it, and now they're striking while the iron is cold, and they've had weeks to heat it up and they've chosen not to. Seth is still a decent choice, but all you have to do is look at the women's rumble to be reminded how it feels when a win has actual context and build.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Would've rather Drew won than Seth, but Bork seems like he gives more of a poo poo when he's not in a Clash of the Titans sort of a match, so Seth it is.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

MotU posted:

scrubs just show up and talk like they know anything its embarassin

The thing is the lack of consistency about the lack of consistency about the rules. There's no way to know which rules with precedent apply and which don't until and unless a Thing happens and it either goes unremarked or the current state of the rule is enumerated.

In past rumbles, you could beat someone up to take their spot.

But in past rumbles you could not just hang out ringside and bide your time indefinitely, until suddenly you could.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The Kimoa Kid posted:

that sounds about right to me tbh, because if i heard a vague wwe leak about a woman doing a surprise mens rumble entry i'd probably assume becky before anyone else, much less nia. because becky is way cooler than everyone other than asuka, who she is still moderately cooler than.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

shiksa posted:

lmao he made this big attention seeking gesture about oooohh is dolph gonna leave is he gonna retire or go to aew or something ooh ooh pay attention to dolph and he just shows up three weeks later like george loving costanza showing back up at yankee stadium monday morning.

Uh excuse me, PAL, but that wasn't when he worked for the Yankees, that was in season 1 when he worked as a real estate agent at Rick Barr Properties. His boss fired him and then he slipped him a mickey. :colbert:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Aphrodite posted:

We get it you watch NJPW.

Seems like most of the wwe roster does too, how many goddamn v triggers have i seen between last night and tonight? I'd say, conservatively, six thousand?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GrimGypsy posted:

I am genuinely curious why, story-wise, Finn wouldn't use the demon against loving BROCK when he felt it was needed against baron corbin

Wasn't that in his third or fourth match with Corbin when it was "needed"? I recall at least two PPV matches and only one had the Demon

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Intruder posted:

The only possible face I give the tiniest poo poo about won the rumble, so I'm cool with it

Sorry I like a wrestler you guys don't like but, hell, I've liked Roman for years so I'm used to it

roman, whom I hope heals and is happy, has always been and will always be a mediocre wrestler. when he comes back and this board convinces itself to love him for a month or two, he'll still be bad.

seth is a very good wrestler and it would be great if he took the belt off brock. maybe he even will, and that will be cool. but this was a badly booked way of starting that - especially when we've been explicitly told to expect giant shocks and "shake ups" and just keep getting telegraphed, predictable results at the end of extremely long, dragging shows.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DopeGhoti posted:

The thing is the lack of consistency about the lack of consistency about the rules. There's no way to know which rules with precedent apply and which don't until and unless a Thing happens and it either goes unremarked or the current state of the rule is enumerated.

In past rumbles, you could beat someone up to take their spot.

But in past rumbles you could not just hang out ringside and bide your time indefinitely, until suddenly you could.

right in past rumbles if you hung out and the next entrant came out and got in the ring before you got in the ring, you were eliminated

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

i guess if you want to rehab seth after that miserable drizzling shits feud with dean, then winning the rumble ain't a bad way to start

but if he just loses to lesnar then gently caress wwe for wasting everyone's time

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

also, since Seth is challenging a guy who is never around at Mania, they had to set up a loving feud with Bobby loving Lashley to kill time so that tiny iota of poo poo I give can be stomped into oblivion by April

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

GrimGypsy posted:

if they were gonna do a switch and have him win the rumble, I'd get it. But they obviously did not.

it takes multiple hours to get finn in makeup, so unless he's in the opening match of a ppv you can go ahead and rule this out forever.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao they gave nia a spot in the men’s rumble while giving Becky the stupid knee injury spot

Huh? Nia took Truth's spot. The commentary was even about how similar the two things were.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DopeGhoti posted:

A couple years ago, Miz came out, walked past the ring, then sat on commentary for like 10 minutes until Brock got eliminated. They're pretty fast and loose on that one too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Julio Cruz posted:

I was too late to comment when everyone was saying this during the match but the shared heritage of Northern Ireland and Ireland is basically bombing each other

So Finlay knew what he was in for if he said no? :getin:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i wish dolph won the rumble so whoever posted in favor of that result i could note down for when the revolution happens

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shiksa posted:

It's the only move he knows. Threaten to leave, then show up later in the month

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

VJeff posted:

Uh excuse me, PAL, but that wasn't when he worked for the Yankees, that was in season 1 when he worked as a real estate agent at Rick Barr Properties. His boss fired him and then he slipped him a mickey. :colbert:

you know i had always just assumed that george started out the series unemployed living with his parents.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Seems like most of the wwe roster does too, how many goddamn v triggers have i seen between last night and tonight? I'd say, conservatively, six thousand?

So about 3 less than a standard Kenny Omega match then

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

DopeGhoti posted:

how quickly we forget poor dearly departed nunzio

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

GrimGypsy posted:

He wanted to prove he could beat the poo poo out of the strongest guy on the roster without using his super saiyan mode, and he did (even if he lost). Now, this won't have any bearing on anything else ever again, but that was the intent at least.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwe has entered the era where true inter-gender matches including singles matches are going to be happening weekly, and often multiple times a week. i don't understand why this isn't bigger talking point this evening and going forward. please discuss your dream matches between women and men after the line below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheHock posted:

Huh? Nia took Truth's spot. The commentary was even about how similar the two things were.

no I meant when nia bashed Becky's knee after being eliminated, I hated that and thought it hurt the match

E: oh uhhhh foxy and I think Finn that they teased one raw around survivor series

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rule about being eliminated when the next guy comes out was just made up for one year where they had a guy get beat up in the entryway and never make it to the ring.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i feel bad for yall who dont see the 3 ring binder labeled "roman reigns booking" getting crossed out and replaced with "seth rollins booking" because in a year you're gonna have no idea why you're suddenly super over seth rollins.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Cavauro posted:

wwe has entered the era where true inter-gender matches including singles matches are going to be happening weekly, and often multiple times a week. i don't understand why this isn't bigger talking point this evening and going forward. please discuss your dream matches between women and men after the line below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zelina Vega vs Hornswaggle

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

shiksa posted:

i feel bad for yall who dont see the 3 ring binder labeled "roman reigns booking" getting crossed out and replaced with "seth rollins booking" because in a year you're gonna have no idea why you're suddenly super over seth rollins.

there are two people who are excited about seth on here.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It's both cool & good that on a night Becky won the Rumble everybody's talking about Nia Jax instead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

shiksa posted:

you know i had always just assumed that george started out the series unemployed living with his parents.

After he quits the real estate job, he bounces through a bunch of different jobs and unemployment until he gets the NBC job, then after that falls through, he moves back in with his parents.

Then he works for the Yankees, then after they dump him, he works for the dude from Malcolm in the Middle for the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm very excited to see what type of counter programming AEW has for their Royal Rumble soon