Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I’m on a business trip for the next three days in Anchorage and through sheer weird scheduling, all of my meetings have been rescheduled for Wednesday, leaving my Monday afternoon, all day Tuesday, and Wednesday night wide open. Unfortunately it looks like everyone (rationally) nopes the gently caress out of Anchorage in Jan. I wanted to see the aurora, but it looks like it’s a bad few days for it. I don’t have $500 to drop on a crazy plane sightseeing trip and it looks like all the day cruise lines close in the winter.

Anyone local have some touristy (or not) stuff to recommend that’s better than plan B, which is getting day drunk at the breweries and ubering back to my hotel to watch YouTube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Stuff you can do in Anchorage in the winter other than "drink yourself to death" and "fly to Hawaii":

Go cross-country skiing. There are ski trails all over the place and some even have lights. Some places also let you ride a fat bike, which is fun.
Go downhill skiing at one of the places right in town (the fancy resort is an hour away in Girdwood).
Go for a walk in the snowy woods. You don't need snowshoes or anything like that if you go to a place like Bicentennial Park or University Lake.

The Anchorage Museum is sort of interesting if you aren't terribly familiar with Alaska. The shops in the Captain Cook are your best option for really expensive souvenirs. If you ask a local where to go for a good meal, you will probably be directed to the Moose's Tooth, Simon & Seafort's, Snow City Cafe (for breakfast) or maybe Gwennie's. For a true Alaskan experience, visit one of Anchorage's many dive bars and strike up a conversation with someone wearing Carhartts.

Getting drunk at breweries is a pretty good option if it's going to rain. If you get out to Anchorage Brewing, you're within two miles of five or six other breweries (only Midnight Sun has real food). Along those lines, the Bear Tooth is a fun place to drink beer and eat pizza while seeing a movie.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd definitely hit up Girdwood. Alyeska is beautiful, and even if you don't want to ski/snowboard, you can ride the gondola to the top of the mountain and eat at the restaurant there. The drive out is an hour, but it's also loving incredible and one of the things that sticks out the most in my memories of living up there.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Too late but thanks for the suggestions, all. Alaska sucks in January. Don’t go.