Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bork bork boooork
This poll is closed.
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus 10 28.57%
The Sixth Day and Other Tales 4 11.43%
BEAR by Marian Engel 10 28.57%
A Man Called Ove 4 11.43%
The Mabinogion by Evangeline Walton 7 20.00%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please vote for one or more of the below to be next month's Book of the Month! Please only vote if you plan on participating if the book(s) you vote for win(s)!

1) 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus

quote:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus is a 2005 non-fiction book by American author and science writer Charles C. Mann about the pre-Columbian Americas. It was the 2006 winner of the National Academies Communication Award for best creative work that helps the public understanding of topics in science, engineering or medicine.

The book presents recent research findings in different fields that suggest human populations in the Western Hemisphere—that is, the indigenous peoples of the Americas—were more numerous, had arrived earlier, were more sophisticated culturally, and controlled and shaped the natural landscape to a greater extent than scholars had previously thought.

2) The Sixth Day and Other Tales

quote:

The Sixth Day and Other Tales, written by Primo Levi, is a collection of short stories, originally published in Storie naturali and Vizio di forma. Unlike the author's earlier and better-known works, these stories may be considered science fiction.

quote:

Primo Michele Levi (Italian: [ˈpriːmo ˈlɛːvi]; 31 July 1919 – 11 April 1987) was an Italian Jewish chemist, writer, and Holocaust survivor. He was the author of several books, novels, collections of short stories, essays, and poems. His best-known works include If This Is a Man (1947, published as Survival in Auschwitz in the United States), his account of the year he spent as a prisoner in the Auschwitz concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland; and The Periodic Table (1975), linked to qualities of the elements, which the Royal Institution of Great Britain named the best science book ever written.[1]

3) BEAR by Marian Engel

quote:

Bear is a novel by Canadian author Marian Engel, published in 1976. It won the Governor General's Literary Award the same year. It is Engel's fifth novel, and her most famous. The story tells of a lonely librarian in northern Ontario who enters into a sexual relationship with a bear. The book has been called "the most controversial novel ever written in Canada".[1]

4) A Man Called Ove

quote:

Ove is a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbour from hell.” However, behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heart-warming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Ove_(novel)

buglord posted:

goodness gracious Ove was good. shouldn't have finished it at work. more impressions later on.

5) The Mabinogion by Evangeline Walton

quote:

. . . . Ballantine’s desire to publish the novel set in motion a heartwarming series of events. Having initially been informed that the book’s copyright had expired, and having searched fruitlessly for Walton, Ballantine prepared the work for publication, finding out at the last minute that the copyright had in fact been renewed, and that Walton was alive and well and living in Phoenix. Walton’s childhood had been marked by illness that kept her in her home, and medical treatments that resulted in a skin condition that would make her reluctant to appear in public later in life. Seeking refuge in books, she developed a love of fantasy and medieval literature, leading to a determination to retell The Mabinogion as a series of fantasy novels.

Aged 63 in 1970, Walton was amazed to learn that there was interest in her book, and revealed that she had continued adapting the stories into novels even though she did not believe they would ever be published. Following The Island of the Mighty’s publication in 1970, Ballantine was able to release the now completed manuscripts of the first three branches of the Mabinogion sequence between 1971 and 1974: The Prince of Annwyn, The Children of Llyr, and The Song of Rhiannon. So, while mostly released post-Tolkien, these works really belong to the pre-Tolkien period. The novels received much critical acclaim, and all three were nominated for Mythopoeic Awards (The Song of Rhiannon won one in 1973), and Walton received a World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1989. Overcoming her reluctance to appear in public, she took up travel and enjoyed appearing as a guest at science fiction and fantasy conventions. It must have been very gratifying for an author, late in life, to realize such acclaim for works that she had believed to be forgotten.

The Mabinogion, like the Arthurian legends, the Greek myths, or the ancient manuscripts telling the stories of Gilgamesh or Beowulf, are what critic John Clute calls “taproot texts”—works which, though fantastic by modern standards and important inspirations for fantasy writers, were not written as fantasy, being more or less accepted as representations of real events by their original audiences. In Walton’s version, the stories are retold by an omniscient narrator with access to the Mabinogion manuscripts, who admits to taking liberties with the original source, though without letting the reader completely forget that source. The occasional footnote, philosophical reflection on the events unfolding, or authorial interjection (“The Mabinogi tells that…”) reminds us that we are reading a retelling of these ancient stories, but they do not distract from or impede the flow of the narrative.

http://blog.worldswithoutend.com/2012/08/forays-into-fantasy-the-mabinogion-tetralogy-by-evangeline-walton/#.XE_JH1xKguU

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i don't really understand reading someone's adaptation of the Mabinogion rather than the actual Mabinogion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

i don't really understand reading someone's adaptation of the Mabinogion rather than the actual Mabinogion.

That might be a good reason to read it!

In this particular instance, that's kindof like asking why someone would read Mary Renault's The King Must Die when they could just read the original Theseus myth instead. For one thing, it isn't a binary choice, you can read both (especially since the original four books of the Mabinogi are rather short). Past that, Walton's version isn't just a straight retelling -- she's running a riff on the originals, as the blog entry I linked partly describes:

quote:

Walton unifies the loosely collected stories of the Mabinogion by focusing on themes of change hinted at in the original manuscripts. She characterizes the time in which they take place as a period in which the implicitly Christian New Tribes, characterized by a patriarchal culture that promotes monogamous marriage and patrilineal inheritance, has fairly recently invaded the islands previously inhabited by the Old Tribes, who still hold onto a pagan Druidic religion, allow sexual freedom for men and women, reject marriage, and do not recognize the father’s role in conception, maintaining the custom of matrilineal inheritance. The Old Tribes worship “the Mothers” rather than “the Father.” As the ideas of the New Tribes spread among the Old, the kings of the Old Tribes begin to see the appeal of these new ideas, and both The Children of Llyr and The Island of the Mighty center around tragic events set in motion by kings who, though otherwise considered good and wise, attempt to maneuver events in such a way as to install their own sons (instead of their sisters’ sons, as the ways of the Old Tribes prescribe) as their heirs.

. . .

Walton herself makes this clear in an afterword to Prince of Annwyn, the first book of the sequence but the last to be published: She credits anthropologist Robert Briffault with giving her “several intriguing ideas to play with. He believed, as I understand him, that civilization first evolved from the efforts of childbearing women to provide for their families, and that when men took over they invented nothing really new until our own machine age appeared, an almost exclusively masculine creation. Pollution has dimmed that last glory a little; I hope I will not be accused of sex bias for saying so; I like penicillin, electric toasters, jet travel, etc., as well as anybody. But when we were superstitious enough to hold the earth sacred and worship her, we did nothing to endanger our future upon her, as we do now. That seems a little ironic.”

So in Walton's Mabinogion we get 1) exposure to the original works 2) through a modern feminist lens, written by a skilled female author 3) with a more modern narrative style that modern readers will probably find more accessible and engaging. Plus, anyone who wants to go further and read the originals is free to and we can talk compare/contrast, modern version and original, which might not happen if we started from the original because Walton's version is relatively obscure.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 29, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mabinogion sounds great, I'm always down for more accessible adaptations of myths/ancient texts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mabinogion sounds great, I'm always down for more accessible adaptations of myths/ancient texts.

gotta vote in the poll!

(you can vote for more than one thing)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
just read the actual mabinogion its not hard. its not even that long, the four branches are like 80 pages

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

just read the actual mabinogion its not hard. its not even that long, the four branches are like 80 pages

Get a load of this guy who isn't even reading the Dream of Macsen Wledig

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I have made a command decision to replace the disqualified "I, Claudius" with a Valentine's-appropriate entry

If you previously voted for a non-bear tome and wish to change your vote now, please post "I Vote Sex Bear" below

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I can’t access the poll because I’m on the app but can you add me to the “I vote sex bear” camp. Thanks H.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hell, I vote sex bear, there's no way I'd come to regret that decision

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please count my Levi vote in the sex bear tally, thanks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

gently caress bears.

wait, that came out wrong

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i voted for 1491 but would like to formally change my vote to Sex Bear

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

There is literally one copy left of the sex bear book in my interlibrary loan system (at the University of San Francisco apparently!). I hope the rest of ya'll are actually gonna buy the sexy bear novel.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 1, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There is literally one copy left of the sex bear book in my interlibrary loan system (at the University of San Francisco apparently!). I hope the rest of ya'll are actually gonna buy the sexy bear novel.

THe kindle edition appears unavailable for purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Marian-Engel-ebook/dp/B0031TZ9T4

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
bear sex wins close htread

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ahahaha the end of the description for that paperback copy:

"In thirty pages, the reticent librarian meets the not so reticent bear and "wonders if it would be good company." It is good company indeed. Intimate company. Shocking company."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Being in Canada my local library system has 3 copies. I put a hold down because I've always been meaning to read it anyway. I wonder if the library's going to call and be like "are you qualified to read this" "idk you want me to bring my relevant degree in to show a librarian"

e: avatar/post match

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have checked the bear sex book out from the library. It is a jacketless hardcover copy, discreet and unassuming.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

There are several copies in my university's system, including one in French. Some are being kept on reserve. Just need to screw up my courage to get a copy shipped to my local campus.

Academic freedom right?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i bought it and im proudly putting it on my shelf when im done with it. your cowardice appalls me

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I want a copy with cover shown in the OP but they're just a bit expensive for an ironic purchase.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

SEX BEAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's over. Bear wins. Obviously.