Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm pretty amazed no clubs changed their logos this year.

On that note are there any bad new alt/clash jumpers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah so I have been looking into that.

So basically:

Norf look like they're reviving the late 90s roo as an alt for their 150th.

Carlton are ditching the laundry disaster clash strip and going back to white for that.

Port are going with silver for their clash (which they wore last year in last year's Bizarroball) and it looks alright with the vees.

Hawthorn have rid us of a lot of comedy by not doing white clash strips anymore (though I presume we're still going to have the brown away one - really if we're going to do that it should be the Maybloom vee version rather than stripes)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

There is far too much cocaine getting snorted at AFL House at the moment.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

drunkill posted:

A better argument would be why is AFLX being played in Melbourne, the home of afl?

Why isn't it being played in London, Munich, Rio, New York, LA? Places that love sport and have the rectangle grounds it can be played on. If you want to capture an international market you've got to play the exhibition games there. Which is why the VFL in the 70s and 80s played games in London and LA.
If I wanted to promote AFL I wouldn't put this Neo Yokio version up in the shop window.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

harperdc posted:

Sounds like you need to see Jon Bois of SB Nation's 17776 Football article.

[edit] VVVVVVV THREE FOOTIES! THREE ACRES! THREE THOUSAND GIANTS SEASON MEMBERS!!
Once we started getting 20-point goals that's what came to mind.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Mustardpots!

https://hawksnestonline.com.au/adidas/legends/hawthorn-legends-guernsey-adidas-2019

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

Stratton is captain of Hawthorn. Good pick I think.
I thought it was going to be Shiels but this works for me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The only time we've spun off a thread was for the finals one year and I think most people ended up sticking in the main so it didn't really work out. I found it discombobulating myself.

I don't even mind the fantasy stuff being in the main thread any more and if we can talk about that we can certainly talk about the dumb stats stuff that I do.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Most supporters at the game would agree you only need two boards:

JUST KICK IT

MAN UP

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah you can take back all those comments about the Power Rangers guernsey now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

I am guessing he won't be paying for his own beer for the rest of the season.

EDIT: also I hope he presses charges for assault
He's not even 18 yet.

Still a good job; I would not have been game to go to a meeting full of nazi goons let alone go ahead and do that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway get your tips in, the Thursday night start always fucks with people (and I'd better remember to pay into my workplace comp tomorrow) although with Richmond being the designated away team you might get away with it if you don't remember until Friday.

My dumb ratings poo poo is up as usual.
http://www.graftratings.com/afl/

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

7 admitted they were wrong, reposted the image, and said they’re going to work harder to remove dickheads from their platforms

A shockingly positive outcome
Does that include Hanson?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

My impression is that Geelong fans are a mix of laidback, feral, and Cat Guy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Actually I think my favourite oppo fans are Doggies fans.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard joe Daniher speak before, I hate it
Does he have that same Riverina drawl as his folks?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think I’ve now done literally all I can do for Melbourne.

There’s a mini-sloth on the way due grand final week.

If being unable to watch the game itself doesn’t spur the dees on to win a flag I don’t know what can.
Odds on it being called Max/Maxine?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Lol Dees.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Lmao hawthorn brought their own umpires again

Footy's back!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah well the Lions did this to us *twice* last year so it's nice that someone else is copping it this time around.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ACLs are a sign that there is no god.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Collingwood's away top is better than their home top and I'm sure was just their regular top when I was a kid. North Melbourne is the same, when they do the simple reverse. The extra white looks better.

Hawthorn's away top is now excellent but Kennett is wrong, white can be a brilliant guernsey colour when done well. I don't get Power and Carlton's grey tops, the white versions are far superior.
Yeah, Collingwood switched to mainly black around 2000 (lemme check footyjumpers) 2001, I guess because they thought it looked baller, but yeah, I think they actually look more "Collingwood" with the white. Funny thing is that I think Eddie has stipulated they'll be wearing mostly white as the "home" side against Carlton later on too.

The Power's new grey I quite like *although* maybe their traditional white block for the numbers would work well to improve the contrast. Also it effectively means no teal on their jumper so, well, it's a monochrome jumper! They snuck that one past Eddie.

Grey doesn't work for Carlton though, baby blue is too Sturt so I think the white is best.

We will not speak of the Thor jumper again. Leave that poo poo for the NRL.

I'm OK with the Mustardpot for us but I still think going to the trad Mayblooms as an away (i.e. mostly brown) would've work better as an alt rather than just a straight reverse stripes.

It might have to be a Museum commissioned rehash (like the diamonds) but I'd like to see the 98-99 hawk thing as a one-off, maybe. Although almost nothing remarkable happened in those years for the club except Crawf's Brownlow or their last competition game at Waverley. There! It can be the Crawford Legends jumper next year.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Awful about Erin :(

Crowd was 53k

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeaaaaah that was shithouse. I think the Dogs are actually... decent this year?

I think Sic should be given a week to contemplate the impetuousness of his actions, but he's not much of a thinker.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Saints, Lions and Doggies are all 2-0. Freo could join them although their game with GC is pretty even at the moment.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

thepokey posted:

I was 7, gently caress, broken the law all these years!
I think I was 8. I had gone through two other clubs before I stuck.

But yeah if the '96 merger became a thing I think I was opting for Richmond. Dodged a bullet there.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I dunno about that, if anything it's all the other clubs in the league that shafted the Roys because they were terrified of the North merger option (which would have been better for Fitzroy fans in someway). The Brisbane org has done as much as they can to maintain the connection, though it can be argued the VAFA club is the real Fitzroy now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh yeah dickhead CEOs/presidents/etc.

Even the Dawks thing, history goes that the Melbourne members voted yes and the Hawthorn members voted no. But I'm not going to dump on Dees fans generally, because apparently what happened at the Melbourne meeting was that a lot of people were locked out and maybe proxies weren't being taken.

I think the heat the AFL took from the two processes (plus the Fitzcray one from the late 80s) was such that even relocation, even the one people think should happen (GC to Tassie), is a touchy subject.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

6 this weekend. Nearly doubled my season score to 13!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

When North went private, Carlton bought a bunch of shares and then tried to do a hostile takeover.

I think they even hosed over Hawthorn a bit back with the Princes Park deal (which is one reason the Hawks were keen enough to move out to Waverley when the league decided to have permanent tenants).

So basically Carlton tried to gently caress over every other club at some stage.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well that's super hosed up.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Zebs are wearing a St Kilda with blue cuffs but with the usual socks.
Box Hill is wearing the Hawks clash strip from over four years ago. VFL jumpers are so weird.

I get why Sandy aren't wearing their usual because it is awfully close to Hawthorn/Box Hill's usual (for ages I thought the black stripes were brown) and the people turning up for the main game might get confused.

But it is good to have magoos footy as a curtain raiser again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It's been a bit scrappy and we've got three out so I reckon the Saints will run over the top of us.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

monolithburger posted:

This is is St. Kilda we're talking about
You know, I really thought...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I was kind of expecting that but it still sucks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah if we don't get a few ins, Easter Monday is starting to look a bit ugly. I assume Frawley will be out, probably a few others will be a bit sore.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

And then when they retire and the money dries up (unless they get in the media) it's Family Court Dad territory for them.

Anyway I'm surprised Bogut hasn't come into the conversation of "athletes with poo poo ethics".

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway I don't think we'll bottom out but right now our injury list is

Mitchell (season)
Birchall (who knows)
Burgoyne (hammy)
Shiels (hammy)
O'Meara (cork - probably could've played yesterday but playing it safe is OK)

plus whatever Frawley, Stratton and Smith get assessed as. Frawley's definitely out for a start.

I mean in a month the list should look a bit better (and getting games into the new guys is no bad thing) but with how even this season is looking, as happened late in the Bulldogs game, when the bench options get limited we do look a bit thin. St Kilda had whatsisface out too but I think they would have had that belief they could run over us in the last quarter.

Next four games are
Geelong (yeah, they'll win)
Carlton (I think they've been a bit unlucky)
Melbourne (depends on if it's good Melbourne or poo poo Melbourne)
GWS (another tough one)

So could easily go from 2-2 to 3-5; not the end of the world but maybe it's our turn to be the team that gets all the injuries this year.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Easter and Thursday night games have hosed me up so much that I'm half thinking there's one on tonight (a Wednesday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Surprised it wasn't Kick the Kids with these two