Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to someone finally having enough of his cheap sniping and face kicking bullshit and running through Toby Greene so hard he completes a mid air 540 and wakes up in Jacobean Scotland

Also go Crows

Ah the "Ballantyne defence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I have mixed feelings about this AFLW season. Obviously I want us to win, but it would also be pretty rough on Daisy for us to miss out on the grand final by percentage two years running and then do it when she's having Daisy Junior.

Does it crush your soul that Melbourne has been denied the opportunity to add another glorious ALFX trophy to the premiership trophy cabinet?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Round 1 AFLW teams are in: https://womens.afl/news/15786/aflw-teams-giants-speedster-races-into-history-books

North is so stacked, I'm sure they'll have to give up a few players next season if they make it to the GF first time round.

Ah, checking the site while logged out says the basic package only lets you watch on 2 screens at the same time, premium package is 3 screens. So not as good as I thought it was (4)

Here is the bigfooty promo for kayo, $5 for feburary then it rolls onto the basic $25 plan after that. Offer ends feb 4th.
https://kayosports.com.au/?irgwc=1&...oucher=FEBFIVER

Or there is the 14 day trial anyway but you still need to supply your CC info. Still, if you decide to split an account with someone else that is $12 a month, not too badand you can cancel anytime (when the footy season is over)

Does Kayo allow you match replays and the fox footy programs? WatchAFL does so im kind of leaning on keeping that going.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

St Kilda still has their pick though :thunk:

Even if we dont go well this year we will still win about 6 or so games minimum. We play Carlton and Gold Coast twice remember.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The Swans have been perennial finalists for a long time, seemingly defying the notion that an aging team needs to have a few bad years to rebuild through the draft, largely through astute (and sometimes scandalous) recruiting from other teams. 2018 may have been the closest they'll get to a down year, as they underwent some generational change through the midfield, and put minutes into potentially good young players, while still making the finals.

They have one of the best and most exciting players in the league in Buddy Franklin, an indigenous key forward who shares a lot of attributes with LeBron James - he's big, strong, uncommonly fast and athletic for his size, gifted with talent most dream about, and routinely performs plays, clutch or otherwise, that make the price of entry worthwhile.

Sydney pushes a culture of everyone buying in, and is more successful than most at doing it, however they also have a touch of the Patriots and Belichick about them, as they're usually the culprit when a team is caught by fans or media bending the rules well beyond the acceptable.

Whilst this is all true I do honestly think they are nearing the end of their ability to keep the elastic band stretching. Their exit from finals last year was extremely uncharacteristic and overall their home and away performance wasnt really exception either.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

So I can't expect to see a good chance soon, but what I might see is a team that nurtures its young talent and comes back swinging a few seasons from now.

Accurate mostly. The question is really how good that talent is on a consistent basis. I doubt they will hit the real lows but then that might be half the issue.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone else able to stream the Geelong/Pies game? Its just throwing up a connection error.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The commentators just mentioned 8 weeks of pre-season only for the women's comp. How exactly are the skills meant to improve properly with such a tiny amount of prep time?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Skills improve for the players who play during the VFLW season, but since there is a cap on AFLW listed players playing in that competition... yeah, skills don't improve for everyone.

5 month contracts, 3 of those months are preseason with only 3training sessions a week in the evening after a full days work. Then a bit of extra gym time ontop of that.

Add in the fact there are only 7 games for most clubs so a few players will only get to play one or two games in a season, if they even get a game at all.

The restrictions make me honestly wonder if the actual best players are actually playing in the VWFL and the like rather then AFLW. The fact there is an actual full season at state level really would make up for a lot of the reduced payment they might receive.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Quantum Shart posted:

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1094448532885360641?s=19

They also pushed this through the app and membership email.

Oh Carlton, dont ever stop being the shittiest team in the comp for all the reasons.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL, displaying their incompetence again? It's unthinkable

https://twitter.com/PeopleAflw/status/1094525719202263040

These people are legit loving morons. I swear its almost being treated as a lip service that will "pass by in a bit" but forgot to tell all the clubs and all the supporters. You jackasses AFL house.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Sorry to break this to you but thats how we have always done ladders in Victoria. The AFL just obviously cant be bothered putting the SA version of the website up anymore due to lack of interest.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

When does this raiding recruitment style stop? I know its really to just get the teams setup and the like but eventually its going to undermine the poo poo out of the comp if you have no player retention.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

hang on now, you havent seen the latest version of aflx yet

But the AFLW actually means something to some people.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Apparently the Hawks new training facility at Dingley is going to cost $135m. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-18/hawks-set-to-unveil-grand-plan-for-new-dingley-fortress

Dingley will be the Hawks "seaford move" but with more horrid odours and at 10 times the price.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Hopefully the land subsides and puts a bunch of lumps and hollows in their ground, and some big cracks through their shiny new buildings

Im banking more on a methane buildup and a colossal explosion lighting up the night sky.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-19/new-rules-will-mean-more-hammerings-says-scott

Kind of interesting and I was thinking similar things last night with the new kick in rules. Good teams are going to be able to clear that ball from the backline a LOT easier I think which is going to to make kicking behinds a real risk now.
I really hope it doesnt result in more pastings of bottom teams, its just not fun for anyone.

Honestly I dont think the AFL has really considered the outcomes of these rule changes thoroughly at all.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

That list assessment is so off the mark it's not even laughable. How the gently caress is our list worse off than Brisbane's? Honestly, just loving how? Same old 'No More Priddis, Wooden Spoon' nonsense as last year.

St Kilda and Carlton above Freo?

Yeah, they're smoking :catdrugs:

What exactly is confusing about that? Our season last year was poo poo but brought on by a bunch of reasons of which many have been rectified. Have you actually looked at Carltons list?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

mactheknife posted:

I don't understand quite how this is supposed to capture the international market. Is it because traditional AFL is, well, Calvinball but real? I know that when my friends and I stumbled onto the 2010 Grand Final on tv here at like 1am that's what we intriguing to us. It was kind of inscrutable at first but that was the appeal. I almost feel like if I watched AFLX and was like "gently caress yeah" and then tuned into regular AFL I'd be even more confused?

It just seems rear end-backwards to me.

Yeah it makes little sense to me. I mean, from the beginning the name is an issue. The code is still "Australian Rules Football" despite the AFL doing all it can to basically rename it. I'm not a think tank but surely something that gave an idea about what the hell it actually is to begin with might help. Oz Footy 7s or something that described what it was all about might help.

I guess there is some sort of transition to regular footy but making overseas audiences take it on enmasse is basically impossible. China might be the best bet due it to still being a young market but the rest of the world has Soccer and American Football to fill that winter sport need.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’ll have to pry it like franking credits from our cold dead hands

Surely you can find something else to prop up that dodgy couch in the membership centre break room?

Also https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-21/podcast-is-dan-hannebery-leadership-material
Its a day old but one has to wonder what the gently caress Barrett is smoking to get the idea that the club that had Hannebery as a vice captain would be even remotely surprised he was appointed to another club's leadership group?

Apparently he got told to "gently caress off and dont come back" in not so many words by StKilda's (and likely others) admin last year so he must have a bee up his rear end.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Steven is taking time off due to a family related issue.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

Stratton is captain of Hawthorn. Good pick I think.

The guy half passed out on the couch at 4am at Revs heartily endorses this decision.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Richmond, bad?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Bulldogs, wooden spooners???

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Bit low class imo

Mixers are the swill of the proletariat frankly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like this should be a free against Preuss for incorrect disposal

https://streamable.com/fb7oo

Insert Bane vs Batman jokes here.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The runner issue is the most overblown issue right now. If they are genuinely being used to block space then tighten the rules about them being on the ground without dallying. Its not like its impossible to have a secondary interchange steward paying attention to the runners and notifying when necessary.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

I remember being at the Sydney/North game at Docklands last year, and when it was getting tight the Sydney runners were constantly filling space, directing players around them to work with them, it was incredibly blatant and obvious from the stands. I’m glad they’re dumping them.

Then simply make them have to run out and back in a direct fashion otherwise a free is paid.

People complain about runners out of one half their mouth then would bitch when coaches are unable to make tactical changes when needed. Footy fields are loving big, its hard even to convey proper messages 50meters away let alone on the opposite wing.

Rather then wasting thousands on stupid message boards that cant be read, employing one extra staffer to stop runners loving around seems like a far better idea.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

As bad as Essendon are tonight they pale in shittyness to Geelong's pre-season tshirt.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

A whiteboard is like ten bucks at Kmart. The runners can still come on between goals it’s not like the players and coaches are cut off for the entire quarter.

They are pointless regardless. Anything more complicated then a 5 letter word is going to be illegible from the distance you could shout at anyway.

Look im not sure how many of you blokes still actually play football but the game is far to dynamic in my opinion to restrict messages to "after goals". I have played in games that were won only because player positions were changed up to deal with a specific issue.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Well what was the alternative response to Sydney having gamed the gently caress out of the system non stop for nearly a decade? We got the new interchange system because Sydney were routinely playing 19 on the field at critical junctures too, remember.

Start awarding free kicks or even 50 meter penalities for hanging out on the field then. They will very quickly stop using runners in that fashion if they are penalized in game for it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

So the solution is to just create more confusing free kicks? And ad more officials into the mix?

I actually think getting rid of constant runners during play will promote the recruitment of genuine footballers over athletes, players who understand the game. And anyway they’ll still be on the field 20-30x a game, and still be able to send out messages with the 90 interchanges a game.

Then just have the steward ban the runner for 15minutes each time they waste time of the field rather then free kicks.

I just dont really understand you people sometimes, you want your coaches having less influence over your team at important times?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

I personally want opposition runners having less influence on the game during important times

Ah the old "my coach is poo poo so gonna make sure every coach is poo poo" defence.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

thanks disney i hate it

they're playing the swans and the back is red, like thors cape.

lmao

Imagine being an 18yo first gamer and having to debut in that, lol.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Carlton fudging numbers again I see.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Have the clubs checked any local bankvaults for the missing members?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

And the head of the membership department at Richmond the past 8 or so years is now the ceo of Carlton.

He's made huge changes already to the club but specifically for memberships he built a new office and brought it all inhouse. I used to get carlton membership calls and texts from the NSW number as it was outsourced. They're now all carlton staff and located in the same building so they can grab a few players each day to ring up past members and get them to sign up again.

And a lot more communication with fans, the club announced a 5 year plan today with targets for growth and the redevelopment of princes park with aims of 80k members within 5 years.

Saints have done a similar thing, all done in house, and managed to add on 10k in members over the last 4 rather lean years.

The start to this season will really dictate if we can push that further.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

In positive football news, the kid who egged Fraser "Hitler" Anning in the back of the head is an under 19 at my footclub.

Post congratulatory messages to pass on at next training session here >

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Fox running a 360 ad with robbo saying "we couldn't get gay married" during the pride match. Of course.

So by "we" he means "myself and a bottle of Whisky"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Bad time for the forums to go haywire when Richmond is warming up 9th spot already.