Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

And back to aflw chat, yeah bigfooty is actually (normally) decent

HA! Try hanging around the Saints board where people are absolutely melting down over Hunter Clarke not getting a call up after two 15possesion pre-season games. Its a terrible terrible forum thats rotten to the core but theres just no where else that rivals it for actual content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Sydney is making GBS threads the bed hard.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Doggies making GBS threads the bed now. Interesting round so far.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

I reckon if someone in Australia is able to come up with either a device you can wear which prevents ACL injuries, or a method of treating them so they don't steal a year of your life, they'd win Australian of the Year.

LARS was meant to be the big latter thing. Turns out artificial ligament that doesn't actually repair itself when under constant stress tears tend to fail in elite sportsmen.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Maybe they'll be able to come up with some kind of super-LARS?

I just hate ACLs :smith: It feels like there's been too many already. Two Crows with ACLs so far this year (the other being Rhiannon Metcalfe) and it's only March.

I think its very common for ACLs in the early stages of the season and I think its absolutely due to lack of match fitness. Frankly I think that limiting the pre-season to two matches is a massive detriment to the game. If anything I think we should have more.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

It seems insane to me that the Saints have persisted with him even though the club has not improved in the tiniest bit since 2014.

I know its an entire page late but I just wanted to quote a comment so loving stupid you could join David King in a "stupid poo poo I say" competition and win.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

Sunday afternoons are for floggings

A one point win has never felt sweeter (Except in 1966).

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol Gerard Whateley said the moment of the 2018 season was Collingwood beating up Richmond in the prelim, and not say sheed slotting a drop punt from deep in the pocket with a minute to play?

I thought Gerard Whatley was meant to be the less nutso of him and Slobbo?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I didnt watch the game but from what I can gather Richmond was only marginally better then the umpires?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Do the Dons have a tagger type? Steven has only had 7 disposals to half time which is super quiet for him.

Im not sure I have seen him much the middle so far so he is likely playing up forward. I would expect him to have more stints inside after half time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Bombers gonna do a Bradbury

Thats not fair, Bradbury worked his entire life for and absolutely earned that medal.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Fucks sake Petracca. WTF is with Melbourne. Play better drat it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

At least Essendon have a first rounder to look forward to.

Im not sure if this was sarcasm but they gave their 2019 first round pick to GWS as part of the Shiel trade.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Its not a comedy!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

lol these umps are just loving everything up, they gave the ball to Deledio when it was an Eagles free, then gave a 50 against Deledio

Idiots

Haha, when was this in the game? I gotta see this.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snoremac posted:

I really dislike any performance of the Eagles’ song.

Fixed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Melbourne are playing with horrid poise.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Melbourne asleep again. How good is the skiing in September anyway?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

3 shots at goal that went out on the full totally cost us the game that time. So god drat frustrating.

Also, not having Carlisle, Roberton or Hannebery and Steven (to a lesser degree) is really hurting us. Carlisle alone could easily have been enough to tip the scales of that.

Just one of those players on would have probably been enough to get over the line.

That or kicking MORE GOALS THEN POINTS FFS.

Meanwhile, I hope it lights a fire up their asses. 2 from 2 is a great start but you get complacent and clubs kick 5 goals on you in a quarter, like tonight. Too many had a poo poo game as well. Sinclair and Acres were both either poo poo or mostly shithouse. Plus Kent has been really mediocre so far, would drop him for Ben Long next week.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Sincs is being hosed by the coaches desire to play him up forward - something that has never worked. Same with Acres but to a lesser degree. I really feel when we are so obviously lacking in the contest that not playing Acres in the guts is real stupid.

Dunstan is the most frustrating player in the team imo. I'd drop Dunstan, move Acres into the middle and bring in Long to replace him. Might leave us a bit small up forward but it's gotta be better.

Gresham :swoon:

Marshal is great in the ruck as well. Good luck getting in the team Billy.

Dropping Dunstan is really dumb I think. He is leading our contested possessions and tackles as well. I agree he is frustrating but I also think his low possession count is a factor the way the team plays. Very few of our boys are approaching 30disposals a game at the moment.

Meanwhile Acres has never really shown a huge amount in the middle, its a big risk putting him in the middle when Dunstan IS a known factor and plays his role. As far as Sinclair, I havent watched every centre bounce but he has been generally lining up on the wing the last two matches and has played well generally. Even playing from the forward arc, 9 handballs only is a big question mark over him. With Steven basically 100% back in next week, he would be the first to come out for me.

As far as Long, I would be dropping Kent for him before anyone else. Similar roles and frankly Kent has been disappointing after quite a few Melb people have talked him up.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

And Carlton fans wonder why their club is kinda hated.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this is actually interesting, (not specifically Carlton, but for all clubs.) Do you know/understand the reasons other people might have an aversion to your club. For example, I am a Hawthorn supporter, but I think I know and understand exactly why some might hate us, (smug born to rule middle class fans, Jeff Kennett, Luke Hodge, James Sicily, Back to back to back recently, etc.) And also, how much of why you think people hate your club is the real reason people hate your club?

And also I think it is interesting why do you feel the way you do about a particular rival club? Is it because of a player, or a club official i.e gently caress Carlton because of John Elliot, or gently caress Hawthorn because of Luke Hodge or Jeff Kennett? Is it a learned historical rivalry, i.e. you hate them because you are supposed to hate them? Is there a specific incident in the past that soured you on a club, or gave you a soft spot for them? Because like teh reason one barracks for the club one barracks for, everyone would have a different story about each club they feel one way or another about.

As a Saint's man any issue with Hawthorn immediately goes back to the zoning days when Hawthorn got given a lot of what was meant to be Saint's zone which resulted in the worst decade for us and the best for you. Its not specifically a Hawthorn thing but more just the comp was a complete joke of "equality" for such a long time and thats just the most direct example.

Lately its really just the success you've had means everyone is sick of Hawthorn. People hated Brisbane the same way until they started sucking for years on end.

Clubs like Carlton and Essendon are hated because of their history of extremely favourable financial and political influence whilst also cheating behind the scenes. They are both long term salary cap cheaters and mostly got a slap on the wrist when found out until the AFL turned proper professional and actually properly punished Carlton for their last breach. Plus Carlton's involvement in the dissolving of Fitzroy will always sour the club for me.

Periphery posted:

Of players that have played every game Gresham is leading our CP (32 total) and Steele our tackles (25 total) but Dunstan is 2nd in both. Marshal and Steven go above him if you do averages for CP. Dunstan is a known factor but he's an incredibly average one that plays on average the 25th least time on ground of any Saints player atm (64.7%).

Acres has never had much of a chance to show much in the middle but when he has been given the chance he's had multi high 20 disposal games and is a much more dynamic player than Dunstan while also offering more height to a short midfield.

Newnes and Billings have taken the bulk of the wing duties so far from what I've seen. Sincs is mostly playing a forward role that comes up to the contest at stoppages - ie the same role he's always been crap at instead of the dedicated wingman that he was rated by champion data as the best in the league as a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind Long for Kent as I agree Kent has been somewhat average so far but Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year.

Honestly Dunstan's TOG is somewhat baffling to me. 64% is WELL down on even his last few years and I know he had an excellent pre-season and beat out his previous bests so there must be some sort of TOG structure they are adhering to for some reason.

I dont disagree with you about Acres but considering his injuries in pre-season it might be the main reason they are holding him back almost purely forward so far. Ecspecially considering we are being much more experimental with who goes into the midfield this year.

Basically what we need is Steven and Hannebrey in the side.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Do you remember the specifics of this?

Going off memory, Carlton owned a sizeable amount of the debt that Fitzroy owned and refused to commit to a payment plan that would allow them to pay it off or wipe off enough to keep operating. The details are fuzzy but that was the crux of it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spud was a great player, a decent person but a lovely lovely coach.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Owned.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

You sir, have obviously not seen "Up the Guts". That show is appalling and entirely useless. It doesn't even manage to be offensive, it is just egregiously beige and awful.

Bring back "Bump".

I hope this game is a draw. Its the only thing these two sides deserve.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Ive said it before and I will say it again, the AFLW should have been state based teams with a number of cross state games per season and the finals be full on Australia wide. No AFL team based ones at all, brand newies all the way through.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Feels good to be a Sainta.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

iirc, during 2009-2010 the Saints had the highest H&A average attendance of any team and there's some survey data showing that they have a similar amount of people that support them as the Tigers. Something like 20% of AFL club supporters along the bay from StKilda to Frankston are Saints fans.

The triple GF defeat really put a dent in the collective spirit of Saints fans but I reckon that there's a lot more of them than people expect. If the club can can play some good footy then I think the membership numbers will go nuts (now that our off-field is doing half decent).

Had we had a period of success in the last 20 years AND had the club had a good admin we would be pushing 80k members without an issue right now. But being wasteful is a StKilda trait so here we are.

I really feel for him. Injury is one thing but to suddenly just "whack, your heart is a bit iffy" must be loving hard to swallow.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Shmoses posted:

The only thing worse than Melbourne footy club is the beach

Melbourne supporter's hate sand. It's really hard for the boy down the country club to vacuum out of the liner of the Range Rover. Plus they can never get it on the green from there.

*Bob Hope swing

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Talking about poo, Hawks vs Geelong is about as close as we can get to "Douche vs Turd Sandwhich" in the AFL. I am sad it wasnt a draw and both teams put into a big blender.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

The match was so bad tonight that even carlton got an inside 50

"Chainsaws from $249"

Hitting right at the core Richmond membership base of lumberjacks.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

If only there was some way that the AFL could improve the standard of umpiring. It's a real shame that the job is so hard that they can't train it full time.

I hear that they fear that making it full time will greatly reduce their available umpires who have full time jobs already as there is not a single person who wouldn't loving glady give up their regular job to be a full time umpire making 150k+ a year.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

Yeah if that is the reason then it seems like an easy solve. Pay them well! Radical stuff.

I think the umps already get something in the range of 80k as it is now to do a full season. Just pay a really good salary and have high entrance standards and you will get people who can make good decisions.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Jack Steven out indefinitely due to mental health and wellbeing. First and foremost: I hope he gets well soon.

Saints injuries are really starting to kill any chance they had of playing their best footy this year. There's currently 8 players out for the season or indefinitely with 5 of those being best 22 (3 defenders, 2 mids) as well as Jack Lonie being out for 8-10 weeks.

Based on the above, I suggest you adjust your prediction for the Saints making the 8 to a 0% chance. (The ratings and webpage are great btw)

I think we just need to soldier on for the next 6 weeks until the bye. Past that point there's a real possibility of Hannebery being ready for AFL level, Carlisle fit and ready to go and Max King might even be ready for a debut in the latter half of the year.

We can absolutely win half the next 6 games ahead of us which will put us at 7 wins with half a season left to go.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Oh Carlton.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

North don't play another game at the MCG this year.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide announced their indigenous guernsey for this year, and it's yet another banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Q4BomHcp8

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-05-13/indigenous-guernsey-revealed

Banger as in it looks like someone let off a firework in a paint factory right?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Took me a minute to realize there was no writing at the bottom that was torn away. Stay classy Collingwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

No, stop trying to jump down my throat with this bullshit because the umpiring was bad in Perth and it was bad in Melbourne, and it was bad last week and it was bad the week before that. Stop trying to attribute it to the West and solely with the Eagles when it happens nationally you loving dimwits.

Happens nationally wherever West Coast is playing you mean.