Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: BYOGM v.5 Spreadsheet :siren:

:siren: Come chill in our BYOGM Discord! :siren:

:siren: 2019-2020 Season :siren:

(If you’d like to go back and look at the 2018 BYOGM: v.4 thread, it can be found right here, with 2017 here, as well as BYOGM: v.2 and BYOGM: v.1.)

Welcome back, you beautiful motherfuckers! This is Be Your Own GM, Basketball v.5! This 5th edition aims to be the biggest and best of them all. The last ones were done in 2018, 2017, 2015 and 2012, and has been an eventful and exciting forum game for quite a while now. If you’re unfamiliar with these games, it's a forum game where you’re basically drafting your own NBA teams and running it from the ground up. This year will be completely different, however, where you are drafting a multi-year keeper team, that will be simmed in line with the season (besides this season, since I have to catch up!), and will be ran and simmed by me using Draft Day Sports Basketball 2019 with updated rosters while being able to update player ratings accordingly. You will be able to have more control than ever with your team. Minutes, lineups, coaching strategy, trades (including draft picks), a draft (while being able to draft each year's upcoming rookies), and an actual winner at the end of the year that isn't subjective and ran entirely through the sim, where you will be able to tinker with your team as much or as little as you like. Go the young route, go win-now, do a mix of both, it's completely up to you! And as always, there will be a handy, updated Google Spreadsheet page with all team information that will be pertinent to each team.

Best of all, each year's champion will receive a :siren: $25 Amazon Gift Card :siren: at the end of the season, so there is incentive to build good teams! A team can have up to two GMs, so if more than 30 people sign up, teams are most definitely able to have a Co-GM with them.

It might sound like a lot of work, but it's not time consuming at all, besides the initial draft. Tons of work for me though. :sweatdrop:. You just have to keep an eye on your team and make any changes you see fit, if you want. There will be very specific rules about certain things that you will have to read and follow, so make sure you read those before this whole thing starts, but otherwise, I think it'll be our most fun BYOGM yet, and this can last a while too!

If you do sign up, please sign up with your team ownership of choice that isn't already taken, and if you don't have PMs, please let me know your email so there is a way for us to get in contact when bidding starts. I may also set up a Discord for people once this gets going if we think that's a good idea.

SALARY CAP - There is a $1010 hard salary cap for this current season. Every subsequent year, the cap will increase by $10. So, next season will be $1,020. For reference, signing a player for $500 for 5 or $500 for 1 is paying him the same amount each year, aka half of your cap space each year.

ROSTER SIZE - Each team only needs 13 players signed to their active roster.

TRADES - No trade will be legal if it puts you: A) over the salary cap or B) without enough money to fill out your roster.

TRADING DRAFT PICKS - Teams can trade future draft picks (2020, 2021, 2022), but just like the NBA, you can't trade any picks more than three years out. Each team begins with one first and one second round draft pick each year.

RELEASING A PLAYER/WAIVERS - All released players will count against your salary cap for the length of their contracts unless claimed on waivers. Waivers will last for 2 days (48 hours), and the player can be picked up for their contract offered by their original team, and the original team will have their salary wiped of that player. However, if that player clears waivers and enters free agency, a team can offer that player an entirely new contract (with the same 4 hour no bid acquisition rules), and the salary of that player's original contract will still count against the original team for the remainder of his initial contract. (The waiver wire will work in inverse order of the standings at the time the player is released if more than one team puts in a claim.)

EXEMPT LIST/PLAYERS THAT RETIRE - Players who have not been signed to an NBA/G-League contract (whether it be free agent or draft pick), who have retired from the NBA, or who are a "college holdout" are eligible for the exempt list. Each team has room for three players on the exempt list. A player on the exempt list does not count against a teams salary cap for as long as they are on the exempt list. Players must remain on the exempt list until they sign with an NBA team (free agent), are released by their BYOGM team, or until their BYOGM contract expires. If a player on the exempt list returns to the NBA, then their BYOGM team must immediately activate them or release them. Releasing a player off the exempt list will count against the salary cap. Any player signed to take the place of a player on the exempt list can only be signed to a 1 year contract up to amount of money that the exempted player was making.

THE DRAFT - A lottery will be held to determine draft order for the 14 teams (via Tankathon) which fail to qualify for the NBA playoffs. This will also mirror the actual NBA lottery. We will hold our two round draft the week (give or take) following the actual NBA draft. No team can ever have more than 15 players on their active roster or go over the salary cap to sign a drafted player. Drafted players will have salary slots which will be listed under this paragraph. All first round draft picks will be automatically signed for three years. Lottery picks have a fourth year option that must be picked up by the end of the players second year. All second round draft picks will be signed for two years with a team option for year three which must be picked up after year one. Teams are responsible for managing their salary cap and roster to ensure that they can fit a rookie onto their team at their draft slot. If a team drafts a player that signs with an NBA team, they will have one year to sign him. If they can not agree to a contract within one year, then that player will become a free agent.

DRAFT SPOT COSTS

pre:
1.	3/67 $201 total
2.	3/60 $180 total
3.	3/54 $162 total
4.	3/48 $144 total
5.	3/44 $132 total
6.	3/40 $120 total
7.	3/36 $108 total
8.	3/33 $99 total
9.	3/30 $90 total
10.	3/29 $87 total
11.	3/27 $81 total
12.	3/26 $78 total
13.	3/25 $75 total
14.	3/23 $69 total
15.	3/22 $66 total	
16.	3/21 $63 total
17.	3/20 $60 total
18.	3/19 $57 total
19.	3/18 $54 total
20.	3/17 $51 total
21.	3/17 $51 total
22.	3/16 $48 total
23.	3/15 $45 total
24.	3/15 $45 total
25.	3/14 $42 total
26.	3/14 $42 total
27.	3/13 $39 total
28.	3/13 $39 total
29.	3/13 $39 total
30.	3/13 $39 total
-----------------------------------

SEE PAGE 84 for 2ND ROUND PRICES
** All rules are subject to change by commissioner in the future if it benefits the sim/league.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Teams/Owners (30/30):

China Klay as the Golden State Warriors
Carlosologist as the Philadelphia 76ers
DC Murderverse as the Memphis Grizzlies
BWV as the Toronto Raptors
Bloach as the Brooklyn Nets
Lockback as the Minnesota Timberwolves
Salvor_Hardin as the Boston Celtics
Doltos as the New York Knicks
ScooterMcTiny as the Indiana Pacers // Co-GM: ItsMillerTime
G-Hawk as the Houston Rockets
IcePhoenix as the Denver Nuggets
DeimosRising as the Orlando Magic
homphgomph as the Milwaukee Bucks
Panzeh as the Sacramento Kings
Dejan Bimble as the Portland Trail Blazers
tanglewood1420 as the Miami Heat
Tadashi as the Atlanta Hawks
Michael Corleone as the Cleveland Cavaliers
Drunk Canuck as the Dallas Mavericks
Paul Zuvella as the Los Angeles Clippers
Metapod as the Oklahoma City Thunder
leftist heap as the Los Angeles Lakers
Fast Luck as the Washington Wizards
alansmithee as the Detroit Pistons
PASS THE MASH as the Utah Jazz
Deadbeat Dad as the New Orleans Pelicans
xbilkis as the Chicago Bulls
sc0tty as the San Antonio Spurs
The B_36 as the Charlotte Hornets
Mountain Dew Code Bread as the Phoenix Suns

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2019

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
I'm in.

Warriors.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gimme dem Grizzles.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

drat, this is a surprise. I’m down to run the Sixers again. If anybody wants to co-GM shoot me a PM and we can coordinate a strategy

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In to run the Raptors to yet another series of championships.

then again, these rules increase the skill level required so i'll probably be more Glen Grunwald than Masai

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 30, 2019

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz
Why hello there

The Brooklyn Nets have returned.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll do the Timberwolves again, though I'm sad my 2K storyland is no more.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I am the Celtics

Thanks DBD

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

In as Pacers!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
knicks knicks knicks

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i am here to claim The Houston Rockets

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll be the Nuggets again

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hand me Detroit please.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah buddy

I’m getting up

Watch me

Magicians ofc

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I'll take the Bucks!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Gimme those Kings.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Portland

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'll take the Heat again.

Looks like under this format I may need a co-GM due to timezone differences with the live auction aspect. (I'm in GMT)

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Cavs bitch.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hawks.

Because I'm a Day Oner. Or something. (It's an ad).

Also, I guess we're sticking with real teams so I can't move them to Lexington, KY?

Open to AGM opportunities.

Also, I assume if a player retires in real life, he's off our team, too? I don't know why that would be different but since this is run in a sim environment, I'm not sure if that changes anything.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 30, 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know it's still early but quick question: assuming there is not a tie does money per year trump everything?

For example, if I got real drunk and decided to bid $11 per year for 1 year on Jaylen Brown would that give me a winning bid if another bid was someone like CBM bidding $10per year for 5 years?

BWV fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 30, 2019

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

YA'LL DON'T FORGET BOUT ME
LET'S GO.

mavs

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's up with Bird Rights? Like will they exist in this league, will they only exist after a few seasons... Can I draft a Hawk who would fit Bird Rights in the near future and claim Bird Rights (since he's already a Hawk) when eligible?

E: I just realized it's called Bird Rights and I'm the Hawks. :downsrim:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 30, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CLIP CITY BABY

e: gimme the clippers

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I don't think there are any Bird Rights. The only thing you could use is the RFA tag once, but it says it's a hard cap.

e; this is going to be pretty cool and if you have 2 stars you can trade one for assets in his last season just like the real NBA. Are we ever gonna get player agents like people have talked about being before that will tell you your star will not re-sign with you in 3 years when his contract is up and demands a trade to the Lakers?

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tadashi posted:

What's up with Bird Rights? Like will they exist in this league, will they only exist after a few seasons... Can I draft a Hawk who would fit Bird Rights in the near future and claim Bird Rights (since he's already a Hawk) when eligible?

E: I just realized it's called Bird Rights and I'm the Hawks. :downsrim:

Hard Cap= No bird rights, no exceptions.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

I should have comprehended that. Thanks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm preemptively putting Willy Hernangomez on the trade block because I will be winning him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Sure I'll take okc

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dejan got Portland so I will take the Los Angeleez Lakers please.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Boston Celtics would like to open an investigation against leftist heap (Lakers) for tampering. Thank you!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Id like to humbly request the Washington Wizards, thank you.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Fining me for tampering just makes me even more powerful

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I’ll take the Mavericks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PASS THE MASH posted:

I’ll take the Mavericks.

You late:

Drunk Canuck posted:

YA'LL DON'T FORGET BOUT ME
LET'S GO.

mavs

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

PASS THE MASH posted:

I’ll take the Mavericks.

Yeah, it's taken! The teams left you can pick from:

Bulls
Hornets
Pelicans
Suns
Spurs

:siren: After he picks, 5 spots left :siren:

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 30, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

BWV posted:

I know it's still early but quick question: assuming there is not a tie does money per year trump everything?

For example, if I got real drunk and decided to bid $11 per year for 1 year on Jaylen Brown would that give me a winning bid if another bid was someone like CBM bidding $10per year for 5 years?

That should be in the rules, but if not, yes money trumps everything in free agency. A player getting $11 for a 1 yr deal will be the highest bid if it's against $10 for 5 years, but if someone offered $11 for 3 years, that would trump your 1 year bid. Money > Years unless it's a tie, which means more years > less years as far as "highest bid".

tadashi posted:

Also, I assume if a player retires in real life, he's off our team, too? I don't know why that would be different but since this is run in a sim environment, I'm not sure if that changes anything.

That should be in the exempt list stuff. They're essentially put in your exempt list and don't count against your cap, unless they come back to the NBA, and then you have to make a decision!

Michael Corleone posted:

I don't think there are any Bird Rights. The only thing you could use is the RFA tag once, but it says it's a hard cap.

e; this is going to be pretty cool and if you have 2 stars you can trade one for assets in his last season just like the real NBA. Are we ever gonna get player agents like people have talked about being before that will tell you your star will not re-sign with you in 3 years when his contract is up and demands a trade to the Lakers?

Lockback posted:

Yep.

No bird rights but you get one RFA tag to use in the game. Like I wrote, the top 30 players are going to be on their actual NBA contracts (from the start of this year), while anybody else is available to be claimed on 1 to 5 year deals -- just so there's not a huge boom of top tier players in one free agency and then literally nothing for other years. So, for example, you can use your RFA tag on, say, Klay Thompson, or someone with a 1 year deal, and that ensures you that you at least have a good shot at resigning him to a long term deal. Everybody else will be UFA at the end of their contracts (whether 1 or 5 years) unless you haven't used your RFA tag, and can apply it to one of them. But you can still bid on any UFA you had so there's also decent chances of getting those guys again.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Yeah, it's taken! The teams left you can pick from:

Bulls
Hornets
Jazz
Pelicans
Suns
Spurs

:siren: After he picks, 5 spots left :siren:

Oops. Let’s go with the Jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How do player ratings work in the simulator?